closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London Surprised How Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Yep, it's called Yorkshire
    Bradford…..

I moved away nearly a decade ago and apart from the odd Christmas Day trip to see family I’ve not been back. Don’t miss it at all I’m afraid - came to the conclusion I don’t enjoy crowded spaces, not a phobia at all, and I’m by no means a loner - just really not my thing and it took moving away to realise it. Oh, and Richmond Park isn’t the countryside, it’s a big back garden you share with thousands of people!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Bradford…..
    Like London, it has it's good parts, and it's not so good parts.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amen brother....but don't tell anybody....I'm serious!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    None of it really lifts your soul like a trip to the Peak District, Lake District or Yorkshire Dales, though.
    100%
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    100%
    Or Selfridges Wonder Room when there's a watch sale on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Long Bar in Raffles?
    Indeed, just assumed given the cost.

My favourite of all hotel bars, loved it on personal travel and business.

Always felt as welcome as my local, need to get back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Indeed, just assumed given the cost.

My favourite of all hotel bars, loved it on personal travel and business.

Always felt as welcome as my local, need to get back.
    We were there late last year - always a great experience!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Hybrid working has had a big impact on the monotony of the commuting you describe. It's a lot less stressful these days

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    True I guess, after my time, mostly I / we were in and out of Soho adjacent, Poland St, Lexington St, Carnaby, round there abouts, later the Kings Rd for me...re monotony, spending 10 hours a day alone in a space the size of some gaol cells, doesn't sound all that in fairness,,,just an observation, not blackguarding or besmirching it as a work/ life choice for anyone else.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th March 2024 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Hear hear Tone!

The museums, culture, galleries etc are second to none.
    Most European capitals will have reasons to say the same thing. Please don’t be such islanders, London is great and we enjoy going there immensely. But I’d say the same about Berlin, Paris or Madrid. They are all eternal cities.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Most European capitals will have reasons to say the same thing. Please don’t be such islanders, London is great and we enjoy going there immensely. But I’d say the same about Berlin, Paris or Madrid. They are all eternal cities.
    Steady there Hoss, they don't like it up' em.
    GSTK. Huzzah.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th March 2024 at 23:08.

Really? You obviously spend more time there than I used to do.

Oh, and this is where my Great Great Grandparents lived....

All you’ve done is demonstrate that you can upload a photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Or Selfridges Wonder Room when there's a watch sale on!
    I'd rather be here...

In fact I was, I took this earlier today. A view of Derwent Water and Keswick from Walla Crag. It was windy, wet, cold, and amazing.

I like a weekend in London too, and I'm glad I live in a place where I can reach both the Lakes, or London in 2 hours.

Master

London Surprised How Nice

That's true SJ but sometimes we travel to these great cities abroad when IMO London and Edinburgh(IMO) are on our doorstep and generally under appreciated just because they are so close.

Having said that I’m here for the long weekend
    Last edited by Hood; 30th March 2024 at 02:20.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    London is an absolutely fantastic city, and one of the finest capitals in the world. I can only laugh at people on here who continually decry it - particularly when they live in cities that are inferior in almost every way.
    Completely agree!

I travel to New York a lot for work and it's always a relief to come back to London, so much cleaner and more pleasant in every way.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I’m here for the long weekend
    Intrigued- where is that Hood?

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Looks like Richmond Park

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Campbeltown in Argyll

Master
    Campbeltown in Argyll
    I’m over that way next weekend. Tarbert/Skipness, then over to Arran. Beautiful area.

Campbeltown in Argyll
    I hope you get a bit good weather as it looks magical with the sun shining.

Would love to spend more time that way, but it is just such a long journey from the SE.

Master

London Surprised How Nice

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I hope you get a bit good weather as it looks magical with the sun shining.

Would love to spend more time that way, but it is just such a long journey from the SE.
    Thanks. Yeh it seems like a long way from Glasgow never mind the SE
    Took about 3 hrs to drive last night .Worth it though as beautiful weather today.
    Gorries correct too with Tarbert up the road a bit and up to skipness and ferry over to Arran.
    Mentioned on here before about folks doing the North Coast 500 but this area is just as scenic but much quieter.
    The Kintyre 66 it's called.

That’s Tarbert.

Master
    Thanks. Yeh it seems like a long way from Glasgow never mind the SE
    Took about 3 hrs to drive last night .Worth it though as beautiful weather today.
    Gorries correct too with Tarbert up the road a bit and up to skipness and ferry over to Arran.
    Mentioned on here before about folks doing the North Coast 500 but this area is just as scenic but much quieter.
    The Kintyre 66 it's called.

That’s Tarbert.
    Beautiful - I love it up there. We have some friends who moved to live on Skye so fortunate to get up there a couple of times a year now. Hard to find a more stunning place tbh, and some of the hiking is just awesome. Enjoy!

Very beautiful that place H.

Master
    We took a trip over to Raasay and hiked up to a viewpoint looking across the Inner Sound towards Applecross. It was a long old slog but I really can’t think of many more breathtaking views than we were treated to that day. What a place.

I quite like London… But this is a different level!

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Amen brother....but don't tell anybody....I'm serious!
    Yes, I know. .

I also know quite a number of Londoners who moved to Yorkshire, (and indeed the Lake District), when they retired. I understand that the West Country is also a popular retirement area for Londoners.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    All you’ve done is demonstrate that you can upload a photograph.
    If you say so.
    Best Regards - Peter

Yes, I know. .

I also know quite a number of Londoners who moved to Yorkshire, (and indeed the Lake District), when they retired. I understand that the West Country is also a popular retirement area for Londoners.
    Yep, London is both amazing and an absolute toilet depending where you go and even what time you go there.

Sometimes I love London and other times I hate it but it really is an incredible place. Ate some sandwiches on the roof garden at 120 fenchurch street two weeks back. Free entry and no queue.

That said the countryside and Scottish pictures in the thread would be it for me. I’d rather look out on that than the gerkin or Big Ben.

Weird to see this Venn diagram - I live in Zone 2 and spend the rest of the time in Tarbert, Loch Fyne.

The bacon rolls at Corranbuie Cafe are excellent. The Starfish has just reopened under new ownership. And there are seals and at least one otter in the harbour.

(Plus, the best whisky in the world is about 36 miles south in C'town. Which is nice.)

Master
    The Starfish is now owned by Kat and Andrea who are wonderful people. They have a B&B near Clachan. We’ve stayed with them a few times (and that’s where we are staying on Saturday night). They have kinda become friends now as we normally sit with them sampling whiskies of an evening when we are there. Andreas food at his B&B is top notch so I’m sure the restaurant will do well.
    He owned a few fish restaurant’s in London, sold up, and moved to Kintyre. He’s reserved us a table at The Starfish on Saturday night which I’m looking forward to.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Berlin just doesn’t have the stature of a London, Paris, and Madrid. Those cities make Berlin look like a town in comparison.

Saying that, I love Berlin and have more fun there than any of the cities above. In fact, I’m heading back there this week for a visit.

Never been to Berlin but from what I’ve heard if you’ve been to Istanbul you’ve been to Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Never been to Berlin but from what I’ve heard if you’ve been to Istanbul you’ve been to Berlin.
    Not your finest post here.
    I agree with Paw regarding the «*feel*» of the city but let’s not forget that a) it was mostly flattened about 80 years ago and b) German cities are more modest than their catholic/anglican counterparts.
    I haven’t been to Berlin for almost 20 years but I too rate it as one of my favourite cities.

Looking forward to eating there :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    The Starfish is now owned by Kat and Andrea who are wonderful people. They have a B&B near Clachan. We’ve stayed with them a few times (and that’s where we are staying on Saturday night). They have kinda become friends now as we normally sit with them sampling whiskies of an evening when we are there. Andreas food at his B&B is top notch so I’m sure the restaurant will do well.
    He owned a few fish restaurant’s in London, sold up, and moved to Kintyre. He’s reserved us a table at The Starfish on Saturday night which I’m looking forward to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Will look to try that next time I'm passing.
    Used to stop at the Anchorage which was a good spot if eating in the bar.

I agree with Paw regarding the «*feel*» of the city but let’s not forget that a) it was mostly flattened about 80 years ago and b) German cities are more modest than their catholic/anglican counterparts.
    I haven’t been to Berlin for almost 20 years but I too rate it as one of my favourite cities.
    Relax, no different than an Irish in Cricklewood comment

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Berlin just doesn’t have the stature of a London, Paris, and Madrid. Those cities make Berlin look like a town in comparison.

Saying that, I love Berlin and have more fun there than any of the cities above. In fact, I’m heading back there this week for a visit.
    definitely, berlin is a small town by comparison. i think it's great if you're plugged into the clubbing/music/art scene (read: young?) or a fantastic place to be a 30s-40s couple with young kids (rents much more affordable than london, free pre school childcare, thus nobody needs to work insane hours and can mostly just hang out).

but, as a place it lacks the energy and cosmopolitanism of london...

So were large parts of London.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Indeed. Most historic buildings survived though, not thanks to the opposite side.

But to the same degree in proportion of city. Plus London did not have fighting in the streets as Berlin did. There are some amazing videos on YouTube showing the the devastation, much like we are seeing in Gaza today scarily!

Berlin is perfect for a city breaks as small and easy enough to get around and see all the major sites in a long weekend but comes alive once you move away from WWII history and explore its many canals, lakes and forests with their obligatory bier gardens!

Relax, no different than an Irish in Cricklewood comment
    A little bit racist that comment and we would not use the Cricklewood statement either outside of the 70/80s.

Saying that, there are copious numbers of excellent Doner places as well as plenty of Irish pubs dotted around as well!

"Big city" isn't for me, but I had to acknowledge and appreciate all the posts by STEPTOE on a bike forum that many here are on.............

All the venues he goes to, the people he has met, the eateries he goes to................ Surprised he has time to ride a bike.

All in all - it suits him to a T, and to be honest - sounds good to me, for a while at least................

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    A little bit racist that comment and we would not use the Cricklewood statement either outside of the 70/80s.

Saying that, there are copious numbers of excellent Doner places as well as plenty of Irish pubs dotted around as well!
    I only have one aunt left in Kilburn and she lives about 400 metres away from one of my friends who works at a hedge fund. All the rest who sold up 20+ years ago made an awful financial decision. Could have retired now but still doing physical work.

The Cricklewood McDonald’s on a Friday night is like a wildlife documentary.

Don’t forget the reason NW2 was packed with Irish.

I only have one aunt left in Kilburn and she lives about 400 metres away from one of my friends who works at a hedge fund. All the rest who sold up 20+ years ago made an awful financial decision. Could have retired now but still doing physical work.

The Cricklewood McDonald’s on a Friday night is like a wildlife documentary.

Don’t forget the reason NW2 was packed with Irish.

It wasn’t just NW2. Many immigrants and workers has settled in numerous boroughs across London over many hundreds of years. In the years I lived in London, we had also prominent Irish communities in W5 and W7 as well as large Polish communities. As they moved out, they have been slowly replaced by South Asian populations moving out from Southall and Hayes.

London is a melting pot of multiculturalism which adds to its wealth of offerings!