closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Surprised How Nice

Master
    Blog Entries

London Surprised How Nice

We have spent the last three days in London, we went to meet some friends who are over from Florida. I have to admit I have been to New York more times in the past twenty years than Central London, the only reason being is that for many years in the eighties and early nineties I worked all over central London on a weekday, only coming back home at weekends.

First impressions on this trip was how much cleaner London was, the air quality was good and the streets looked tidy. We stayed in the very comfortable and surprisingly reasonable Park Plaza Westminster Bridge which is right opposite Big Ben, and looks spotless after its recent clean. Our trips on the underground were equally surprisingly good, with people instantly giving up their seat for my wife who is walking with a stick at the moment. The fares are very reasonable and tap and go payment system is superb.

We really enjoyed the afternoon at Borough Market and then an early evening meal at the many restaurants in the area. We returned to the area around Waterloo tube station and found a great Fullers Pub where after a few pints of ESB I was one satisfied customer.

One place I have never been too was the Imperial War Museum, so we decided to visit as it was only a short walk behind our hotel, good decision it was a great experience.

All in an all we had a great time and left London feeling happy, even the train journey from Euston back to the West Midlands was brilliant. Well done London keep it up.
    Last edited by hilly10; 29th March 2024 at 21:18.

Master
    Agree about the Imperial War museum. Yes the air around the river/West End is certainly much more pleasant than in years gone by. Though had you walked a further 5 minutes beyond the museum to Elephant and Castle you wouldn't have found the air so enjoyable. One of the most polluted spots in the city unfortunately. They need to get on with the Bakerloo extension there.

First nice thing I have heard mentioned about London on this forum in a long time.

Let’s see how long this lasts.

London is an absolutely fantastic city, and one of the finest capitals in the world. I can only laugh at people on here who continually decry it - particularly when they live in cities that are inferior in almost every way.

Drove home from pall mall last week and was also surprised. All windows open and no music on, just a calm drive home until I got to about Finsbury Park when normal service resumed and windows were back up!

Glad you enjoyed your trip. The only bit I'm slightly surprised about is the good value comment.

I'm still shocked by the price of stuff from time to time - pint and a packet of crisps was £9.80 yesterday, in a standard pub.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m a Londoner by birth but moved away a very long time ago but really do enjoy a regular trip back.

My Wife always said it was the worst place on earth, why would anyone want to visit etc etc. until our Daughter moved there and she actually got to spend some time there. Now she’s up for a trip if I ever suggest it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. The only bit I'm slightly surprised about is the good value comment.

I'm still shocked by the price of stuff from time to time - pint and a packet of crisps was £9.80 yesterday, in a standard pub.

After recent visits to New York Singapore and Hawaii London is a steal.

In January we paid £166 for four pints of larger and four Singapore Slings in the Hotel in Singapore
    Last edited by hilly10; 29th March 2024 at 14:16.

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post

In January we paid £166 for four pints of larger and four Singapore Slings in the Hotel in Singapore
    Super sized pints were they...

Sterling's decline cf the dollar explains a lot of what you've experienced...and Hawaii c'mon...
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th March 2024 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    A few overpriced pints here and there make little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Public transport is relatively cheap and amazing in its breadth and frequency.

Where London completely falls down is in rent and housing costs. Just off the scale compared to anywhere else in the U.K., and by a country mile.

My 22 yo is looking to move out as he has a professional job now. A bedroom in a house share is £1k/month, absolute minimum. Then share of council tax, bills etc. etc. He could just about afford it, but all in he’d be sacrificing more than half his take home pay for a room, bills, food and transport.

I love London, and had the good fortune to move around these parts over 30 years ago, but sadly the place is a no go for new blood unless two extremely high salary earners, or massive BOMAD.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    London is an absolutely fantastic city, and one of the finest capitals in the world. I can only laugh at people on here who continually decry it - particularly when they live in cities that are inferior in almost every way.
    I have to agree.
    I would not want to live in any other city in the world. It’s a fantastic place.
    It’s nice to hear someone being positive about the place for a change.

Master
    Love a London trip.
    Great city on your doorstep and probably underappreciated.
    Only city comparable in UK would be Edinburgh for me.

One thing I didn't like the last time I was there was restaurants putting a 15% service charge on.
    Cash grab.
    Last edited by Hood; 29th March 2024 at 15:00.

London is like the Curate's Egg, good in parts. The centre is great, but the rest...............!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Hear hear Tone!

The museums, culture, galleries etc are second to none.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our friends that we met love London and have been many times, he said it’s his favourite city and no where else does the culture compare.

Our friends that we met love London and have been many times, he said it’s his favourite city and no where else does the culture compare.
    Not on the Singapore slings or Largers still are you?

Agree the Imperial War museum is a good day out. Good place for a visit, can be a challenge to live- work in...the tube at rush hour, not so civilised.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th March 2024 at 16:22.

Stayed in that very hotel last time I was there, very good if impersonal hotel. Incredibly well placed.
    The watch (reason for the trip) meet was inside the houses of parliament so pretty secure really.
    Lovely walk across the bridge in brilliant sunshine, i had a wonderful time in our Capitol.
    Completely agree with your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    London is like the Curate's Egg, good in parts. The centre is great, but the rest...............!
    That’s an absolutely ridiculous generalisation, and in many cases totally inappropriate/incorrect.

Please you had a great time OP. I love London and go as often as possible. I never get bored. I was there a couple of weeks ago on a bitterly cold but bright Sunday morning. We walked miles, stopping off for some breakfast.

Great city. I love NY too but they’re very different cities.

Anywhere beyond plausibly the first couple of zones, say 1 to 2, some parts of 3, isn't really urban London proper once out beyond that it's residential, suburban, London adjacent. Get out to zone 5, 6 say, you might as well be living in the country, somewhat tongue in cheek, but only somewhat.

By the end of a long week, fighting into and out of central London, public transport, come the weekend we'd often be too shagged to bestir ourselves and head in for the culture and touristy stuff. We'd do something local, a stroll to the common, pub lunch, meet friends for beers, Clapham picture House etc...maybe even a barbie in the tiny garden...weather permitting.
    Go anywhere as a tourist, well it really should always be fun otherwise you'd choose, go somewhere else. Plus you've generally accepted it's going to cost you whatever, holiday/ short break mindset takes over...''you change your chip'' as a good Spanish friend of mine puts it so well
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th March 2024 at 17:13.

Master

Bet I know which hotel that was, peanuts everywhere?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Have to agree with the OP that London, at least within Zone 1, is a pleasure to visit nowadays notwithstanding the slightly high booze and food prices. FWIW, I have been visiting London, quite regularly, approximately 10-15 times a year, since 1987. I normally arrive via train an hour, or so, earlier than necessary and walk from St Pancras to anywhere in Zone 1. The architecture is lovely in places (eg. Bloomsbury) and there are plenty of cafes and pubs to enjoy. Fortunately maybe, I have so far been immune from the infamous watch snatching teams. IMVHO, the cultural activities in London are pretty good; I spend quite a lot of time in Tate Britain and the National Gallery. My daughter has lived in a number of places including Leytonstone, Pimlico, Elephant and Castle and Whitechapel so have seen and stayed at a number of places in town. Bottom line seems to be that the place has quite a nice vibe nowadays which was absent, maybe, 10+ years ago.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

That’s an absolutely ridiculous generalisation, and in many cases totally inappropriate/incorrect.
    Really? You obviously spend more time there than I used to do.

Oh, and this is where my Great Great Grandparents lived....

Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Really? You obviously spend more time there than I used to do.

Oh, and this is where my Great Great Grandparents lived....

Yes it’s exactly the same there now…
    That picture could easily have been Leeds or a Bradford during the same era or in the case of Bradford, taken yesterday

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

No not the Marina Sands, it was the Pan Pacific were we stayed.

Blog Entries

Eeuuwww, not the old peanuts on the bar hand dips!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

All Cities have good and bad, parts of Birmingham are probably lovely but I knew someone living there who says that at night people literally go through their trash bags left out for the bin men lol.

Long Bar in Raffles?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Great city:) did 20 years working in Soho. The only reason we moved was for decent schools and a better child friendly lifestyle. Whatever you’d want from a city you can find a patch in London to accommodate it.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 29th March 2024 at 18:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We lived in Cricklewood in the 80s and gradually moved outwards to increasingly rural environments, but I loved commuting to central London each day (by motorbike) and love being back in the city on the occasions that I venture in nowadays, usually for meals with friends from all over.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Anywhere beyond plausibly the first couple of zones, say 1 to 2, some parts of 3, isn't really urban London proper once out beyond that it's residential, suburban, London adjacent. Get out to zone 5, 6 say, you might as well be living in the country, somewhat tongue in cheek, but only somewhat.

By the end of a long week, fighting into and out of central London, public transport, come the weekend we'd often be too shagged to bestir ourselves and head in for the culture and touristy stuff. We'd do something local, a stroll to the common, pub lunch, meet friends for beers, Clapham picture House etc...maybe even a barbie in the tiny garden...weather permitting.
    Go anywhere as a tourist, well it really should always be fun otherwise you'd choose, go somewhere else. Plus you've generally accepted it's going to cost you whatever, holiday/ short break mindset takes over...''you change your chip'' as a good Spanish friend of mine puts it so well
    Zone 5 countryside? What year was that, before Croydon was built I suspect which is in zone 5:) ?

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 29th March 2024 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Zone 5 countryside? What year was that, before Croydon was built I suspect which is in zone 5:) ?

Richmond Park is between zones 4 and 5, and Bushy Park is between zones 5 and 6.

Not countryside, but huge vast expansion of park with forested areas and plenty of deer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Richmond Park is between zones 4 and 5, and Bushy Park is between zones 5 and 6.

Not countryside, but huge vast expansion of park with forested areas and plenty of deer.
    Yes I know Bushy park well as we played there lots as children. I was born in Chertsey and lived in Weybridge until my teens but not what I’d describe as countryside.

I live right next to Bushy Park and about a mile from Richmond Park, and my development is in another park (Canbury Gardens) right oj the Thames where you are allowed to go fishing- yet I'm still in London. I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    but not what I’d describe as countryside.
    That’s why I prefixed my response with, Not Countryside, but

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!
    You need to get out and about a bit more Ryan!.

Master
    100%Agree, a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Hybrid working has had a big impact on the monotony of the commuting you describe. It's a lot less stressful these days

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You need to get out and about a bit more Ryan!.
    London has some lovely parks, but the whole of the south east has a level of blandness that is difficult to surpass. And that is from someone who lives there.

The tens of thousands who flock to Newlands Corner, Box Hill or Leith Hill every weekend does not make you feel like you are in the great outdoors.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 29th March 2024 at 20:53.

I live right next to Bushy Park and about a mile from Richmond Park, and my development is in another park (Canbury Gardens) right oj the Thames where you are allowed to go fishing- yet I'm still in London. I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!
    To be fair Kingston is great for green areas, I played for Teddington Rugby Club whilst at Kingston Uni
    Bushy park is a lovely park
    My school backed on to Richmond Park so our cross country runs were around the b@stard thing.
    That said it’s as far as I would like to go out and live and not be in the countryside (I live in Zone 3 west London)
    My best mate lives in East Molsey, it’s suburban hell as far as I am concerned. All the downside of London living and none of the perks.

London has some lovely parks, but the whole of the south east has a level of blandness that is difficult to surpass. And that is from someone who lives there.

The tens of thousands who flock to Newlands Corner, Box Hill or Leith Hill every weekend does not make you feel like you are in the great outdoors.
    There is a world beyond all of that

Master
    The towns are yes but parts of Kent and West Sussex in particular are stunning.

Is Barnes a nice area ?
    I worked with a chap Years ago who lived in barnes
    And he used to talk how nice it was

Master
    I do like a trip to London (as long as it’s not for work). I always enjoy it, although strangely I’m also always quite happy when it’s over. I know that sounds daft.. I think I find it quite tiring trying to as much in as possible.

Singapore is probably my favourite city I’ve visited. Only managed to get there a few times, but always sad to leave. Tend to stay around Little India area and get the MRT as it is fantastic for getting around. When I was reading the earlier posts I was also convinced it was Raffles being discussed… I seem to recall a Singapore Sling being about £20 in 2016.

Probably right. When we lived in Hertfordshire all you could see were fields but they were all farmers fields with no chance of a walk and only one small public park.

Now we’re back in London there is less greenery obv but all the greenery is public and there are parks everywhere.

Don’t think I’ll ever tire of Epping forest.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Is Barnes a nice area ?
    A very nice area, the rich and famous in every house.
    Gary Lineker, Micheal Ball and Stanley Touchi all live there which a down side, Holly Whilloughby also lives there - a plus.
    Very nice pubs!

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Is Barnes a nice area ?
    Yep, very nice. Not on the tube though

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    The towns are yes but parts of Kent and West Sussex in particular are stunning.
    I like Kent and West Sussex and have spent 30 years exploring the SE. None of it really lifts your soul like a trip to the Peak District, Lake District or Yorkshire Dales, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    There is a world beyond all of that
    Yep, it's called Yorkshire
    Best Regards - Peter