closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London Surprised How Nice

Hybrid View

Master

London Surprised How Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Anywhere beyond plausibly the first couple of zones, say 1 to 2, some parts of 3, isn't really urban London proper once out beyond that it's residential, suburban, London adjacent. Get out to zone 5, 6 say, you might as well be living in the country, somewhat tongue in cheek, but only somewhat.

By the end of a long week, fighting into and out of central London, public transport, come the weekend we'd often be too shagged to bestir ourselves and head in for the culture and touristy stuff. We'd do something local, a stroll to the common, pub lunch, meet friends for beers, Clapham picture House etc...maybe even a barbie in the tiny garden...weather permitting.
    Go anywhere as a tourist, well it really should always be fun otherwise you'd choose, go somewhere else. Plus you've generally accepted it's going to cost you whatever, holiday/ short break mindset takes over...''you change your chip'' as a good Spanish friend of mine puts it so well
    Zone 5 countryside? What year was that, before Croydon was built I suspect which is in zone 5:) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 29th March 2024 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Zone 5 countryside? What year was that, before Croydon was built I suspect which is in zone 5:) ?

Richmond Park is between zones 4 and 5, and Bushy Park is between zones 5 and 6.

Not countryside, but huge vast expansion of park with forested areas and plenty of deer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Richmond Park is between zones 4 and 5, and Bushy Park is between zones 5 and 6.

Not countryside, but huge vast expansion of park with forested areas and plenty of deer.
    Yes I know Bushy park well as we played there lots as children. I was born in Chertsey and lived in Weybridge until my teens but not what I’d describe as countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    but not what I’d describe as countryside.
    That’s why I prefixed my response with, Not Countryside, but

I live right next to Bushy Park and about a mile from Richmond Park, and my development is in another park (Canbury Gardens) right oj the Thames where you are allowed to go fishing- yet I'm still in London. I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!
    You need to get out and about a bit more Ryan!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You need to get out and about a bit more Ryan!.
    London has some lovely parks, but the whole of the south east has a level of blandness that is difficult to surpass. And that is from someone who lives there.

The tens of thousands who flock to Newlands Corner, Box Hill or Leith Hill every weekend does not make you feel like you are in the great outdoors.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 29th March 2024 at 20:53.

London has some lovely parks, but the whole of the south east has a level of blandness that is difficult to surpass. And that is from someone who lives there.

The tens of thousands who flock to Newlands Corner, Box Hill or Leith Hill every weekend does not make you feel like you are in the great outdoors.
    There is a world beyond all of that
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    There is a world beyond all of that
    Yep, it's called Yorkshire
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    The towns are yes but parts of Kent and West Sussex in particular are stunning.

Is Barnes a nice area ?
    I worked with a chap Years ago who lived in barnes
    And he used to talk how nice it was

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    The towns are yes but parts of Kent and West Sussex in particular are stunning.
    I like Kent and West Sussex and have spent 30 years exploring the SE. None of it really lifts your soul like a trip to the Peak District, Lake District or Yorkshire Dales, though.

I live right next to Bushy Park and about a mile from Richmond Park, and my development is in another park (Canbury Gardens) right oj the Thames where you are allowed to go fishing- yet I'm still in London. I reckon I have more access to greenery and outdoor recreation than most non-Londoners do!
    To be fair Kingston is great for green areas, I played for Teddington Rugby Club whilst at Kingston Uni
    Bushy park is a lovely park
    My school backed on to Richmond Park so our cross country runs were around the b@stard thing.
    That said it’s as far as I would like to go out and live and not be in the countryside (I live in Zone 3 west London)
    My best mate lives in East Molsey, it’s suburban hell as far as I am concerned. All the downside of London living and none of the perks.

Master
    I do like a trip to London (as long as it’s not for work). I always enjoy it, although strangely I’m also always quite happy when it’s over. I know that sounds daft.. I think I find it quite tiring trying to as much in as possible.

Singapore is probably my favourite city I’ve visited. Only managed to get there a few times, but always sad to leave. Tend to stay around Little India area and get the MRT as it is fantastic for getting around. When I was reading the earlier posts I was also convinced it was Raffles being discussed… I seem to recall a Singapore Sling being about £20 in 2016.

Probably right. When we lived in Hertfordshire all you could see were fields but they were all farmers fields with no chance of a walk and only one small public park.

Now we’re back in London there is less greenery obv but all the greenery is public and there are parks everywhere.

Don’t think I’ll ever tire of Epping forest.