closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first bike

Craftsman
    Blue Raleigh Boxer for my first steed, which I loved. Equipped with stabilisers, I pretty much taught myself how to ride. Eventually the steerer tube snapped so that was the end of it.

Next was a second hand Raleigh Grifter which was too big in reality and stuck in 3rd gear as the Sturmy Archer chain had snapped. Heavy piece of crap, but got me out with my mates.

Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Next was a second hand Raleigh Grifter which was too big in reality and stuck in 3rd gear as the Sturmy Archer chain had snapped. Heavy piece of crap, but got me out with my mates.

Snap! Right down to the broken hub gear 😀

Master
    Don’t know the name but I’ve a pic
    Mid 70’s front right
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Snap

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Inspired by the Raleigh sales post I wondered how many people remember their first bike. I had a Carlton Corsa in my early teens in the seventies and rode it everywhere, regularly 50 odd miles on a weekend. No gear, no helmet, just toe clips and a water bottle full of orange squash. You could strip it down with one of those dumbbell spanners from Halfords and a double ended screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had exactly the same bike at probably the exact same time. Xmas 77 I think I received mine, rode it everywhere including return trips to Barry Island (roughly 45-50 miles) from my home in Pontypridd. No spares tube, single water bottle, no tools, no nutrition, no idea how to maintain it. It was bulletproof, at least until I crashed it coming down one of the many steep hills in my area and bent the frameset.

Your first bike

This monstrosity. A Raleigh Amber.
    Believe me, as an 8yr old boy on the mean streets of Edgeley in late 1980’s, this was like living the boy named Sue song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1975 for me - no idea what it was but had like 10" wheels with fat white tyres, and a single front brake that worked with a connecting bar rather than a cable.

Grifter then Mongoose followed, by God I could fly and trashed them both - the only thing I didn't break were the Tuff IIs!