closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder - consignment

Watchfinder - consignment

Having had no joy with the sale of my IWC (Pilot’s Chrono IW388102) on here, I enquired with WF about buying my watch. but they have offer to sell on consignment,

The case will need attention as there is a scratch between the lugs. I assume that they will give me an estimate to get that 'repaired' before I agree. ' Would anyone on here have a 'guestimate' of how much it would cost to 'repair' this scratch?

Has anyone any feedback from using WF for selling on consignment? The net result they have stated is more than I have my watch up for sale here so it's tempting but, much like 'We Buy Any Car', will they push down the selling price once they have the watch?

Thanks all

Pete

Master
    Blog Entries
    I imagine they'll list as agreed but will like site for a while in current market. They will never be the cheapest and the fact they haven't offered a buy price shows they don't have confidence in a quick sale.

Master
    I recently had a quote from them and they came back with the consignment offer. In my case their fee was quoted as 15% which feels steep. Is that what you were quoted too?

Their T&Cs also did state repairs or service etc if required are payable on top. It wasn't clear to me if you are given the repair quote first and have to pay up front but would assume so, rather than they just do it and then take it from proceeds.

Regarding your comment about pushing price down, in my case they gave a range and I assume they cannot sell below that without your consent. Key point then is how they assess the repair required and inform you of the cost and charge you IMO. In your case you may be better off trying another dealer as surely someone out there will buy your IWC outright.

I don't think they offered consignment in the past so maybe this is a new thing.

Master
    Give Subdial a go

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Give Subdial a go
    Yeah, I’d try them - they were very good to deal with and offered more realistic pricing than WF.

Maybe give Kibble Watches a go too?

Good luck,
    Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Give Subdial a go
    They’ve increased their prices. Gold tier is now 8% plus VAT and I think first timers are 10% plus VAT.

I would still use them over watchfinder though even if the fee was the same.

Yes the fee quoted is 15%. They have put a price and then a price below they won’t go below. Will give Subdial a try.

Thanks all

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I recently had a quote from them and they came back with the consignment offer. In my case their fee was quoted as 15% which feels steep. Is that what you were quoted too?

Their T&Cs also did state repairs or service etc if required are payable on top. It wasn't clear to me if you are given the repair quote first and have to pay up front but would assume so, rather than they just do it and then take it from proceeds.

Regarding your comment about pushing price down, in my case they gave a range and I assume they cannot sell below that without your consent. Key point then is how they assess the repair required and inform you of the cost and charge you IMO. In your case you may be better off trying another dealer as surely someone out there will buy your IWC outright.

I don't think they offered consignment in the past so maybe this is a new thing.
    This is exactly the experience I have had with Watchfinder earlier this month. I am considering selling a watch my wife has but I know it needs a polish and a service. I’m tempted to send it back to the official service centre and let them do their thing. At least the cost of bringing it up to condition will be known.

I would then have an easier decision to make when it comes who to consign it with. Or even listing it myself on Chrono.

Master
    I also use Subdial. One watch sold with a Polaris still listed. Charging 8% on 2nd watch which is very fair imo.

I sold one through sundial,12% commission but still returned more than sc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Another vote for Subdial, they're great to deal with too.

Thanks for all the Subdial recommendations- I’ve put in an enquiry with photos let’s see what happens!

I’d also recommend Chronohunter, used them a couple of times and they have been very good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they have far to much stock at the moment so are not buying in unless it’s a sort after piece.

one more for subdial. My experience with Watchfinder hasn't been most positive...

Master
    I'm intrigued by everyone else's positive experiences with Subdial. I asked for a sale quote on a watch, was immediately asked for pictures which I then immediately provided, was then told I'd get a price very shortly, then heard nothing. After a couple of days I gave up and went in another direction. Perhaps I should have been more patient but in that time they had no difficulty adding the watch and pictures to the 'Collection' in my account and ascribing a market value to it (which was well below their asking prices for the same model in the sale section), while the sale quote went on as 'pending'. I didn't ask for it to be added to any online collection - I just wanted a sale quote. Since I wasn't proceeding with any sale and since I didn't like the way the site worked I decided to delete the account, but there's no direct facility to do that. I therefore emailed asking for it to be deleted and for confirmation that it had been, and again got no reply. So I've been left with the sense that I was engaging with bots rather than humans. A bit spooked by it all.

Master
    My take on subdial whilst overall ok and I would buy from again they do seem a bit up themselves. With the skydweller I was buying I enquired on if the bracelet came with all links. I was told “19cm”…and when I asked if that was a full bracelet or not was told, “I don’t know, but it is 19cm”. When I then asked if he could count the links and confirm to me was given an outright “no”! It was only after some discussion and reminder that I was wanting to spend £15k with them and asking why was he being difficult that he relented and said he’ll get someone to check if they have time to pull it from stock and let me know later in the day. It was only because the watch was well priced that stopped me from pulling out on principle. The watch arrived fine and was in excellent condition but the attitude of the sales person did leave a slight sour taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I'm intrigued by everyone else's positive experiences with Subdial. I asked for a sale quote on a watch, was immediately asked for pictures which I then immediately provided, was then told I'd get a price very shortly, then heard nothing. After a couple of days I gave up and went in another direction. Perhaps I should have been more patient but in that time they had no difficulty adding the watch and pictures to the 'Collection' in my account and ascribing a market value to it (which was well below their asking prices for the same model in the sale section), while the sale quote went on as 'pending'. I didn't ask for it to be added to any online collection - I just wanted a sale quote. Since I wasn't proceeding with any sale and since I didn't like the way the site worked I decided to delete the account, but there's no direct facility to do that. I therefore emailed asking for it to be deleted and for confirmation that it had been, and again got no reply. So I've been left with the sense that I was engaging with bots rather than humans. A bit spooked by it all.
    Yes I’m with you. I’ve found they do ask for pictures when offering a quote. And then after taking and sending pictures they say sorry we won’t buy this model but can consign it. This has happened to me every time I’ve asked for a quote from them to buy and that included stainless steel rolex which surely would shift more easily.

It’s all a bit clunky for my liking.

Their fees are also a bit weird. Different tier pricing for different clients. Apparently.

Having said that they’re a big player in this market and so I guess that offers some peace of mind to an extent, if you do go the consignment route.

Master
    Still waiting for someone to confirm that my account details have been deleted ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Still waiting for someone to confirm that my account details have been deleted ...
    There’s been literally zero working time between your posts on this. Unless you’re expecting them to work the bank holiday, I’d suggest you’ll be waiting until Tuesday.

Master
    Another positive for Subdial from me. Sold an SMP to them last month, quoted offer was competitive and collection and transaction was smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve previously had positive experience with Subdial but know they have changed hands recently. (Not had any dealings since so can’t comment on that)

When did subdial change hands? Who owns them now?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    https://find-and-update.company-info...36256/officers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    There’s been literally zero working time between your posts on this. Unless you’re expecting them to work the bank holiday, I’d suggest you’ll be waiting until Tuesday.
    Five working days since I mailed (and that's discounting Saturday, when they might have been working), and nothing. So that's no reply to a request re a sale and no reply to a request to delete the account. I was drawn to them by so many online reviews emphasising how quick and responsive they are so I'm surprised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think it coincided with the website update. James is no longer there and a heard that it had come under new management last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I think it coincided with the website update. James is no longer there and a heard that it had come under new management last year.
    Thanks. That’s probably went they went from inc VAT to plus VAT too then.

Luckily I managed to get one at 8% inc VAT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Maybe I am being dim, but what does this tell us about changing hands, I see nothing there to indicate that and no change in directors either.