closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New white divers

  1. #1
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,735

    New white divers

    I think it was only a matter of time…

    £799 with
    £769 without

    I rather like them.








  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    859

    New white divers

    Pleasing on the eye, but the pheon on the dial spoils it for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 25th March 2024 at 11:12.

  3. #3
    Craftsman Redcoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    388
    Appalling. Looks like a £10 watch.

  4. #4
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    13,797
    The lack of minute markers is a massive fail IMO.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    859

    New white divers

    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The lack of minute markers is a massive fail IMO.
    I knew something else was missing! So now I don’t like the pheon and the fact it doesn’t have minute markers.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 25th March 2024 at 11:13.

  6. #6
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    4,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The lack of minute markers is a massive fail IMO.

    WTF is that about?! Hopefully whover drew the renders just forgot to merge a layer in the right order or summat - otherwise, as you say epic fail.

    And TBF, I can't see the point of a white dial diver that isn't full-lume.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Borrowash
    Posts
    6,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    WTF is that about?! Hopefully whover drew the renders just forgot to merge a layer in the right order or summat - otherwise, as you say epic fail.

    And TBF, I can't see the point of a white dial diver that isn't full-lume.
    Probably a spurious “service watches need to be to discrete” reason, but they should follow Damasko and go the DA37 pattern - fantastic legibility

    Wish I had bought a DA47 when they were being made.

  8. #8
    Grand Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,067
    I think CWC are employing a child to head up their design department.
    Since the reissue of the early divers everything released has been utter pony.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    CIRENCESTER, UK
    Posts
    460
    +1.....plot......??....lost!

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    England
    Posts
    330
    Not for me I'm afraid, the idea of a white dial is good but just not this one...

  11. #11
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,491
    My favourite bit is where they've used smaller markers at 3, 6 and 9 to allow room for the numbers but then left the numbers out. CWC seem to be doing their best to fuck things right up over the past few years.

  12. #12
    Craftsman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    349
    If you read the description on their website for this model carefully, I think you'll see they give the reason for omitting minute markers and the 3-6-9 numerals from the dial.

    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...tch-white-dial

    Not specifically, that is, but one bullet point lists the "minimalist dial design".

    It's a deliberate aesthetic choice.

    Whether one likes that choice or not is a matter for the individual.

    As regards the pheon rather than "QUARTZ" text, is this CWC's current policy for quartz models which have no military heritage but are entirely new models? The quartz T20 so-called "Lost Boy" has the pheon, as did the original white dial "Subhunter" G10 (though a later batch for some reason changed to "QUARTZ"). Perhaps it depends how they think it looks on the dial at the time the design is signed off rather than it being a consistent policy, I don't know!

  13. #13
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    13,797
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    If you read the description on their website for this model carefully, I think you'll see they give the reason for omitting minute markers and the 3-6-9 numerals from the dial.

    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...tch-white-dial

    Not specifically, that is, but one bullet point lists the "minimalist dial design".

    It's a deliberate aesthetic choice.

    Whether one likes that choice or not is a matter for the individual.

    As regards the pheon rather than "QUARTZ" text, is this CWC's current policy for quartz models which have no military heritage but are entirely new models? The quartz T20 so-called "Lost Boy" has the pheon, as did the original white dial "Subhunter" G10 (though a later batch for some reason changed to "QUARTZ"). Perhaps it depends how they think it looks on the dial at the time the design is signed off rather than it being a consistent policy, I don't know!
    Which is all fine, but it still looks cack.

  14. #14
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    If you read the description on their website for this model carefully, I think you'll see they give the reason for omitting minute markers and the 3-6-9 numerals from the dial.
    If you read my post carefully, I think you'll see my criticism was not the omission of the 3, 6 and 9 numerals, but the stubby markers at those positions. I'll tell you exactly why they've got stubby little markers there: because the machinery or code or whatever it is, already exists and they were too lazy or didn't want to spend the money on making them a sensible size.

  15. #15
    Master Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,953
    The minute hand is a bit too Stan Laurel against the Oliver Hardy hour hand for me.

  16. #16
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3,001
    Horrible,m those dials look so plain and cheap, and as pointed out the stubby markers look ridiculous when they are shortened for no reason.

    CWC really have lost their way these days imo.

  17. #17
    Craftsman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    349
    They were aiming for minimalism, they thought a white minimalist dial would look cool.

    Do I like it? No. Quite apart from anything else, I find minute markers useful so there's no way I'd be buying one of these myself on that ground alone.

    The underlying problem demonstrated by a number of rubbish designs in recent years (and I do think the astonishingly atrocious skull-and-crossbones model is the worst of the lot) is that whoever is making the design decisions just doesn't have very good taste. It's as Sinnlover said, you'd think they'd appointed a child to the role.

  18. #18
    Not sure they will ever beat the no date RN diver design so maybe they thought what the heck! A solid no from me but I guess plenty will like them and they will make a few quid.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #19
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    4,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    If you read my post carefully, I think you'll see my criticism was not the omission of the 3, 6 and 9 numerals, but the stubby markers at those positions. I'll tell you exactly why they've got stubby little markers there: because the machinery or code or whatever it is, already exists and they were too lazy or didn't want to spend the money on making them a sensible size.

    I strongly suspect you're right about this - I first thought it looked like an omitted layer in the printing image, but lazy cheapskatery seems more likely. Some similar omissions on E9 and Tamar models, too... Yuk!

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    662
    Anyone good enough on photoshop to mock one up with the minute track and numbers re-instated ?

  21. #21
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,735


    My sausage fingers can’t manage the minute track tho

  22. #22
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post


    My sausage fingers can’t manage the minute track tho
    To be fair, that's miles better.

    Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    [/IMG]

    My sausage fingers can’t manage the minute track tho

    LOL. I think even this goes to show that CWC have made a dial design error :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information