closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Without a green screen I don't find that any of the virtual backgrounds - even blurring, in fact - work properly. You can always see from any kind of movement that they're not real, so I could never allow myself to use one.
    Love the fact you have such high standards, Tony, well played!

Been looking at the desk top you linked and they do look nice - is the mouse smooth enough without a mat, as can’t see one in your pics.

Couple of Luddite questions as I’m dangerous with DIY.

Do the legs just screw in with a few small screw in each corner?
    Did you drill pilot holes?p or just screw them in?
    Cable management, did you use their tray & screw it in (pilots too)?
    Doesn’t look like you have a cable management hole, correct?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Love the fact you have such high standards, Tony, well played!

Been looking at the desk top you linked and they do look nice - is the mouse smooth enough without a mat, as can’t see one in your pics.

Couple of Luddite questions as I’m dangerous with DIY.

Do the legs just screw in with a few small screw in each corner?
    Did you drill pilot holes?p or just screw them in?
    Cable management, did you use their tray & screw it in (pilots too)?
    Doesn’t look like you have a cable management hole, correct?

Cheers

Okay...

Desk mat - I have this one (large size) arriving in a couple of days. The mouse works perfectly without it but the desk itself is a bit of a dust magnet as is.

Leg fixings - depends entirely on your existing legs. Mine were fixed to the original desktop using those steel plugs that you find in pre-built furniture - I had to get them out and then fit them into the underside of the new desktop before I could screw the legs on, but yours may well be simple screws. (Thinking about it, I could actually have just used simple screws with washers, which would have made life a lot easier!)

Pilot holes - yes, I drilled pilot holes first and then used a wireless screwdriver. Screwing by hand would have been challenging.

Cable management - I've already fitted a cable tray, but still need to stick a multiple plug adapter to the underside of the desk with double-sided adhesive before addressing cable management. Once done, though, I'll just have a single power cable visibly going to the desk and everything else will plug straight into the power adapter with the leads sitting inside the cable tray.

Just to add, remember that I'm still recovering from major surgery, and am far from fully healed at the moment. Consequently I'm having to take things nice and slowly, and for some tasks need my son here to help me.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd March 2024 at 20:37.

Great thread folks in the time honoured TZUK tradition. I work hybrid for a large Life Science company and my role encompasses EHS with areas such as display screen and home workstation setup for remote workers. Golden rules for this include the top of monitor to be level with your eyes (also good with webcam), adjustable seats are great - ideal height being your forearms should be parallel with ground when using keyboard and mouse, padded or gel wrist supports are also good if you do prolonged typing and are prone to carpal tunnel or RSI. My companies fairly enlightened in that it supplies things like adjustable office chairs and also standing desks to remote workers.

Having worked initially during lockdown from my kitchen table using boxes and books to attain optimum setup, I have now evolved to heading to sofa with footstool for longer calls using a padded laptop cushion and elevated stand similar to this

https://amzn.eu/d/fkB83SJ

which enables webcam use (with judicious choice of corporate Teams background). Well jealous of our Eames chair owning member though…

As a matter of interest, I'm contemplating covering my entire desk with 4mm tempered glass. Anyone else done that, and if so what are your thoughts?

How's the mouse going to work on that? I know that you have a mouse pad and everything but it will always be full of finger and wrist prints.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    How's the mouse going to work on that? I know that you have a mouse pad and everything but it will always be full of finger and wrist prints.
    I have a large desk mat on the way, so doubt I'd make contact with the glass very often. That said, it may indeed get quite fingerprinty.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th March 2024 at 17:37.

Master
    As a matter of interest, I'm contemplating covering my entire desk with 4mm tempered glass. Anyone else done that, and if so what are your thoughts?
    Started wfh on glass dining room table, as you mention in a later post, fingerprint nightmare but do look good. If the light isn’t going to catch on it from the window too much, you might get away without daily polishing.

Less so as a dining table as guests all seem intent on touching the underneath of the glass which they would never do if it were wood (so why the fascination, god knows). Took an hour yesterday to clean top and underside, torch in one hand, micro fibre and glass cleaner in the other!

Started wfh on glass dining room table, as you mention in a later post, fingerprint nightmare but do look good. If the light isn’t going to catch on it from the window too much, you might get away without daily polishing.

Less so as a dining table as guests all seem intent on touching the underneath of the glass which they would never do if it were wood (so why the fascination, god knows). Took an hour yesterday to clean top and underside, torch in one hand, micro fibre and glass cleaner in the other!

Yes, we have glass on the dining table too. It does show marks, but it's not difficult to polish.

Anyway, just realised that I've made an unnecessary mistake with regard to the filing trays I had on my desk (first thing that's gone wrong and hopefully the only thing). I spent as fair amount of money having three floating shelves made up in the right width, but a couple of days ago saw that they actually fit perfectly on my ladder shelves beside my printer. I'm therefore just going to put one floating shelf either side of the desk and accept begrudgingly that I needn't have bought the bloody things.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th March 2024 at 18:43.

Master
    Yes, we have glass on the dining table too. It does show marks, but it's not difficult to polish.

Anyway, just realised that I've made an unnecessary mistake with regard to the filing trays I had on my desk (first thing that's gone wrong and hopefully the only thing). I spent as fair amount of money having three floating shelves made up in the nright width, but a couple of days ago saw that they actually fit perfectly on my ladder shelves beside my printer. I'm therefore just going to put one floating shelf either side of the desk and accept begrudgingly that I needn't have bought the bloody things.
    Ours catches all the afternoon sun through from the conservatory, so if there is the slightest mark it stands out a mile away.

That’s a shame on the floating shelf, could have been a lot worse / more expensive a mistake, so don’t beat yourself up too much.

I went down a rabbit hole of solid wood desktop last night, 50mm thick and almost £1k, stepped away from that rapidly lol..

Ours catches all the afternoon sun through from the conservatory, so if there is the slightest mark it stands out a mile away.

That’s a shame on the floating shelf, could have been a lot worse / more expensive a mistake, so don’t beat yourself up too much.

I went down a rabbit hole of solid wood desktop last night, 50mm thick and almost £1k, stepped away from that rapidly lol..

Yes, they're not cheap, hence me going for the one I did. I reckon I've spent a good £1.5k on this reno and desk setup, possibly about £2k given that I've just bought some new black ladder shelves as well, so there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money on a desktop either .

Master
    A really interesting range of home office set ups. Having spent lockdown and the aftermath camping in my son's bedroom when we moved house I set aside the box room (about 2.3m x 1.8m) for my home office. There was only one option for the location of the desk and working facing the window isn't much of a problem as the blind helps regulate the light (works well for video calls). I can get a bit distracted by the view.

It took some time to assemble everything. I bought a set of sit stand legs for the desk. However standard desk tops weren't a good fit and I wanted to make the most of the width of the room so I chose a custom size. I looked at various materials but ended up with bamboo. The place from where I bought it cut it to size and cut two grommet holes in it. The off cuts became the shelves, the brackets for which I found on Etsy. I had to varnish the Bamboo which took me a few weeks over the summer. It came up a treat and is a lovely, tactile surface.

I bought a powered desk grommet which helps with easily swapping out gear (my son games there at weekends and can change easily between work and home laptops). It also has an HDMI socket and a wireless charger.

I would love to ditch the printer as it takes up so much space but it is used regularly so will have to stay.

It seems I need to up my game on the keyboard and mouse front as I am using standard company issue. I would also like a better laptop stand so am on the look out for one of those.

There is one corner that still needs sorting. Hopefully a small comfy chair and some more storage for my camera gear and watch stuff.

And then there is the wall space on which I want to hang some more pictures and photos but all in good time.

Master
    Okay...

Desk mat - I have this one (large size) arriving in a couple of days. The mouse works perfectly without it but the desk itself is a bit of a dust magnet as is.

Leg fixings - depends entirely on your existing legs. Mine were fixed to the original desktop using those steel plugs that you find in pre-built furniture - I had to get them out and then fit them into the underside of the new desktop before I could screw the legs on, but yours may well be simple screws. (Thinking about it, I could actually have just used simple screws with washers, which would have made life a lot easier!)

Pilot holes - yes, I drilled pilot holes first and then used a wireless screwdriver. Screwing by hand would have been challenging.

Cable management - I've already fitted a cable tray, but still need to stick a multiple plug adapter to the underside of the desk with double-sided adhesive before addressing cable management. Once done, though, I'll just have a single power cable visibly going to the desk and everything else will plug straight into the power adapter with the leads sitting inside the cable tray.

Just to add, remember that I'm still recovering from major surgery, and am far from fully healed at the moment. Consequently I'm having to take things nice and slowly, and for some tasks need my son here to help me.
    Missed this reply, Tony, thank you.

That desk mat is lovely, puts mine to shame & may have to have a look at another.

Missed this reply, Tony, thank you.

That desk mat is lovely, puts mine to shame & may have to have a look at another.

Best one out there by some margin, IMO.

There must be something in the water, I just re-did my desk after a couple years this month too.

I'll post some pictures up once I finally get the cable management done, its an embarrasment at the moment. Very similar to yours actually LTF!

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    There must be something in the water, I just re-did my desk after a couple years this month too.

I'll post some pictures up once I finally get the cable management done, its an embarrasment at the moment. Very similar to yours actually LTF!
    Look forward to seeing it. Still got lots to do to mine, and really looking forward to doing the new paint job on the walls.

Master
    Well, managed to get the desk to within 2 cm of central to the wall by covering the right hand socket I didn’t use.

Monitor arm has been lowered, and as it does so, it moves to the left; am now 2cm off central to the wall, so the track art will look spot on.

Why I hadn’t thought of it earlier I have no idea. Think this thread helped inspire my creativity / desire to not spend more than I had to.

Still want a new monitor though!

Master
    logitech keyboard and mouse ordered, felt desk mate likewise and the lovely oakywood monitor shelf ordered, that will do for this month!

cheers for the inspo LTF!

Well, managed to get the desk to within 2 cm of central to the wall by covering the right hand socket I didn’t use.

Monitor arm has been lowered, and as it does so, it moves to the left; am now 2cm off central to the wall, so the track art will look spot on.

Why I hadn’t thought of it earlier I have no idea. Think this thread helped inspire my creativity / desire to not spend more than I had to.

Still want a new monitor though!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    logitech keyboard and mouse ordered, felt desk mate likewise and the lovely oakywood monitor shelf ordered, that will do for this month!

cheers for the inspo LTF!
    Music to my ears, both - hugely pleased that the thread has had an impact, and look forward to seeing some photos as and when.

I’ve made a few updates myself but have some bigger changes to the room/lighting/area behind my desk happening in the next 48 hours. I’m therefore holding off from posting any changes for now but will do so for all of it shortly. Thereafter, it should just be the redecoration to follow.

I wasn't going to post another photo just yet, but I have some new lighting and have also received the desk mat and palm rest that I ordered. Oh, and I've relocated the helmet racks as well...

Last edited by learningtofly; 27th March 2024 at 02:50.

Master
    Corner lights look fantastic there, could work better than my floor standing single sided one….link please!

Never seen a wrist support so well designed, does it move with you, or static? Tried my BIG MX3 today as had scrolling to do & still prefer my backwards Apple mouse, daft as it seems.

Corner lights look fantastic there, could work better than my floor standing single sided one….link please!

Never seen a wrist support so well designed, does it move with you, or static? Tried my BIG MX3 today as had scrolling to do & still prefer my backwards Apple mouse, daft as it seems.

These are the lights, Matt. They can face outwards too, and can be operated via a remote or the Govee app.

Yes, then palm rest moves with you/the mouse.

I used to use a similar wrist support but found the Logitech MX vertical mouse is a better solution, with the more natural handshake grip, my wrist has not hurt since.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I used to use a similar wrist support but found the Logitech MX vertical mouse is a better solution, with the more natural handshake grip, my wrist has not hurt since.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk
    I’m far too happy with the S3 to consider changing it. The vertical muse is a good option, though.

Master
    I wasn't going to post another photo just yet, but I have some new lighting and have also received the desk mat and palm rest that I ordered. Oh, and I've relocated the helmet racks as well...

what is the palm rest tony and how do you feel about the mat now you have recieved it, is it worth the premium price?

what is the palm rest tony and how do you feel about the mat now you have received it, is it worth the premium price?
    It's a Deltahub Carpio 2.0.

Yes, the mat is superb.

Master
    These are the lights, Matt. They can face outwards too, and can be operated via a remote or the Govee app.

Yes, then palm rest moves with you/the mouse.
    We had a similar light in the dining room but on the Hue ecosystem. Don’t really want to get into having 2 apps for light control.

Significantly better value than the Hue one, which is probably why we decided it wasn’t necessary in a room that already had 8 colour spots in it.

Tony, please centre the TV - it's killing my OCD!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Tony, please centre the TV - it's killing my OCD!
    Believe me, Chris, it’s killing my OCD more! Unfortunately, i’m not allowed to get up a ladder and it’s probably a bit too heavy for me to try and lift at this moment in time; however, my son now has a bad foot!! (That said, I won’t be able to control myself much longer, albeit that Bea will kill me.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th March 2024 at 13:09.

Craftsman
    My wife is in the process of getting an office area designed for our smallest bedroom. Will be made to fit the width of that room.
    This was the first design, might be totally different by now.
    As it will be laptops that are getting used, for cables she is getting a couple of these type built in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Re...b7a88ac03a4c59

The chair, plant and pictures were added by the designer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to underestimate how useful an electric standing desk is.

I have this, my wife has the smaller version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/idasen-...ige-s89280969/

Two Belkin 4 or 6 way surge protectors under the desk hidden in the netting under the desk and you’re good to go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OE46ELW

Craftsman
    I’ve found this thread absolutely fascinating and I congratulate everyone on the creativity, even artistry, on display.

I’m now retired so have no need, or justification, for anything expensive. But you can achieve quite a lot with some modest spending in Ikea and on Amazon. I’ve been motivated today to clean and tidy up my modest study/den/bolt hole. It’s a lot more organised having spent a couple of hours sorting out the cabling and fixing a power strip to the wall just under the desk.

My next task is to clear out the drawers that are a graveyard of old mobile phones, tablets and iPods; and must contain just about every type of cable and power supply ever developed.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Two Belkin 4 or 6 way surge protectors under the desk hidden in the netting under the desk and you’re good to go

Standing desks are the bollocks! Not only for posture, but in an office environment - you are super-fast out the trap...... when the boss is heading your way.

Master
    With thanks to RustyBin5 of this good forum my next office toys are soon to be built and mounted.

Will have a Lego 911 GT3 RS and a Lamborghini Sian mounted above my screen.

Sonos has ended up in the corner on a stand (never listen to music in the chair, only meetings and reading)

And then a wooden 3D track in the large blank space as a nod to the home of British motorsport.

So I’ve spent a lot of money and nothing that has improved my productivity or comfort, just happiness at sitting in the room.

Tony has spent his money on proper work upgrades lol.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    I’ve found this thread absolutely fascinating and I congratulate everyone on the creativity, even artistry, on display.

I’m now retired so have no need, or justification, for anything expensive. But you can achieve quite a lot with some modest spending in Ikea and on Amazon. I’ve been motivated today to clean and tidy up my modest study/den/bolt hole. It’s a lot more organised having spent a couple of hours sorting out the cabling and fixing a power strip to the wall just under the desk.

My next task is to clear out the drawers that are a graveyard of old mobile phones, tablets and iPods; and must contain just about every type of cable and power supply ever developed.
    Great that you’ve been inspired to make some improvements. Retired or not though, I reckon you could still simplify that desktop if you wanted to.

With thanks to RustyBin5 of this good forum my next office toys are soon to be built and mounted.

Will have a Lego 911 GT3 RS and a Lamborghini Sian mounted above my screen.

Sonos has ended up in the corner on a stand (never listen to music in the chair, only meetings and reading)

And then a wooden 3D track in the large blank space as a nod to the home of British motorsport.

So I’ve spent a lot of money and nothing that has improved my productivity or comfort, just happiness at sitting in the room.

I think that increased happiness in sitting in the room will inevitably improve both your productivity and comfort, Matt. It will be interesting to hear your feedback once you’re used working in the new environment.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th March 2024 at 21:57.

Master
    I think that increased happiness in sitting in the room will inevitably improve both your productivity and comfort, Matt. It will be interesting to hear your feedback once you’re used working in the new .
    Nothing on cam anyone can see changes, so it’s my own wellbeing.

I have never spent on things like this before; we purchased Doug Hyde art for any room my wife wanted, but never spent on my office aside from the basics (Aeron and Eames hardly basics, but you know what I mean).

Lego may work, or might not - can always sell on if it doesn’t. Love the frames for the cars, but at 80cm height on a 110cm monitor to ceiling height it is too much.

My love of cars would be very happy with this if I had the space!

Home office reno and desk set-up

Priorities. You made the right call.

Master
    I really hope so, I will enjoy sitting there working, and already have the comfort seating.

Still toying with new lighting though.

Blog Entries

Agreed, I've got the following in my garden office:

https://yo-yodesk.co.uk/products/yo-...30859810635874

Didn't think I'd use the stand feature as much as I actually do, which is multiple times per day. Memory settings are super handy too so the desk goes to exact height as needed.

Environment counts.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

This is my place at the moment , it’s in a garden room so separate from the house , around 9m2

thinking of going ultra wide for the monitor, will deffo upgrade the keyboard and mouse to the Logitech ones Tony got and must get some speakers !

table is solid oak , weighs a tonne but very happy with it.

I sit side on to the window which works well!

What a beautiful room. Very tidy too.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    What a beautiful room. Very tidy too.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Cheers, I'm a neat freak so that kind of environment helps for work!

This threads given me a kick up the arse to get mine sorted. Had a big change around last year but decided I want the top shelves gone and a fresh coat of paint

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    This threads given me a kick up the arse to get mine sorted. Had a big change around last year but decided I want the top shelves gone and a fresh coat of paint

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    What colour are you going for?

Very frustrated that my son’s out of action for a few days. The painting is going to have to wait, but so are the new (black) bookshelves and relocating the TV. Actually, I may try the latter when Bea’s not around
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st April 2024 at 20:01.

Master
    What colour are you going for?

Very frustrated that my son’s out of action for a few days. The painting is going to have to wait, but so are the new (black) bookshelves and relocating the TV. Actually, I may try the latter when Bea’s not around
    Frustrating having to wait for something eh!

Please don’t try it alone, weight won’t be the issue but the positioning, strain and trying to hold & mount it. If I was closer I’d pop over to help.

Frustrating having to wait for something eh!

Please don’t try it alone, weight won’t be the issue but the positioning, strain and trying to hold & mount it. If I was closer I’d pop over to help.

Nice thought, Matt, thank you. No, if I did it myself I’d probably end up back in hospital (I’m not mean to lift anything heavy for another four weeks).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st April 2024 at 20:22.

Master
    Few changes, logitech mx mech keyboard and mouse arrived, oakywood shelf (went natural oak as walnut would be too dark, my desk is oak with a medium stain, i think it works better than black aswell but open to thoughts!), waiting on a desk pad and have rewired everything, still a few errant wires but they cant all be hidden without a lot more work so ok for now! Also centered the monitors with the wall behind!

Last edited by cyrusir; 3rd April 2024 at 11:05.

Few changes, logitech mx mech keyboard and mouse arrived, oakywood shelf (went natural oak as walnut would be too dark, my desk is oak with a medium stain, i think it works better than black aswell but open to thoughts!), waiting on a desk pad and have rewired everything, still a few errant wires but they cant all be hidden without a lot more work so ok for now! Also centered the monitors with the wall behind!

Nice job - that's a huge improvement. I'd suggest a BenQ Halo lightbar instead of the freestanding light, though, which would free up a chunk of desk real estate as well.

No need for a couple of small speakers for some quality music/audio?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd April 2024 at 13:01.

Master
    Nice job - that's a huge improvement. I'd suggest a BenQ Halo screenbar instead of the freestanding light, though, which would free up a chunk of desk real estate as well.

No need for a couple of small speakers for some quality music/audio?
    cheers, yes ill probably get some speakers at some point but they will need to be small! and i agree the lamp is probably sub optimal, i just happen to have it as my wife doesnt have anywhere for it inside and its a nice lamp but a halo would be more aesthetically please and more useful as well.

cheers, yes I’ll probably get some speakers at some point but they will need to be small! and i agree the lamp is probably sub optimal, i just happen to have it as my wife doesnt have anywhere for it inside and its a nice lamp but a halo would be more aesthetically please and more useful as well.
    Have you had a look at the Audioengine A2+?