closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This BenQ Halo is absolutely superb, Alun. I thought long and hard about it, but it's ability to light the desk without shining on the screen, whilst also providing ambient light behind the screen is precisely what I was looking for.
    I want one so badly but to do it I need a £50 adapter plate to move the vesa then the light and then the camera adapter; think it’s a no from me.

Might look at some cheap 6500k rear lighting LED strip. Have the tv backlit at that kelvin and makes the darks darker and the colours pop, no idea why I haven’t for my office. Or perhaps hue again to go with the rest of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I want one so badly but to do it I need a £50 adapter plate to move the vesa then the light and then the camera adapter; think it’s a no from me.

Might look at some cheap 6500k rear lighting LED strip. Have the tv backlit at that kelvin and makes the darks darker and the colours pop, no idea why I haven’t for my office. Or perhaps hue again to go with the rest of the house.
    These are as good as it gets, I'd say. Don't do anything on the cheap, Matt - you don't need to, and remember the "buy cheap, buy twice" adage.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th March 2024 at 18:26.

Craftsman
    I've got the BenQ eReading Desk Lamp which I find a bit more flexible than the screenbar style fixed to the top of the monitor. Highly recommended !

Wife has the BenQ Screenbar Plus on her iMac, similar to Halo but with a wired Controller if you'd rather not have the faff of batteries for the wireless one. Saves £30 as well.

Slight aside, but I can't believe how poor the performance of the iMac is compared to my Thinkpad T480. She won't change it though ... fully signed up to the Apple Kool-Aid LOL. I think it might be another example of Apple crippling their hardware with software updates to force you to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I've got the BenQ eReading Desk Lamp which I find a bit more flexible than the screenbar style fixed to the top of the monitor. Highly recommended !

Wife has the BenQ Screenbar Plus on her iMac, similar to Halo but with a wired Controller if you'd rather not have the faff of batteries for the wireless one. Saves £30 as well.

Slight aside, but I can't believe how poor the performance of the iMac is compared to my Thinkpad T480. She won't change it though ... fully signed up to the Apple Kool-Aid LOL. I think it might be another example of Apple crippling their hardware with software updates to force you to upgrade.
    I absolutely love the remote control for the Halo, so have no issues at all in respect of the fact that it needs batteries; in fact, I regard it as a classic case of not skimping to save a few quid when the slightly more expensive option provides so many benefits. I doubt the batteries will need changing more than very rarely anyway as for the most part the remote just sits there untouched.

What are your wife's issues with the iMac? I run an M1 Max MBP and it's absolutely faultless as well as being blindingly fast.

One thing this thread highlights - is the psychological benefit of having a "nice" space to work from home - in.

Starting during covid - there were a lot of people forced to work from 14" laptops on their kitchen worktop - when they had a decent monitor in the office.

If you do have space for a nice set up in your "Study" (now there's a pretentious term) - you are very fortunate.

I have a bedroom that is just a pure office. Not much in the way of 'decoration', but I have a cracking vew of the hills out the window.

Master
    These are as good as it gets, I'd say. Don't do anything on the cheap, Matt - you don't need to, and remember the "buy cheap, buy twice" adage.
    Have seen them a few times on social media. Some can’t be cut, so will do some research.

Certainly buying 2m of hue for a 50cm strip across the back (the std hue strips don’t bend well perpendicular to the adhesive surface so just feels a waste.

Will give them a research this evening. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    One thing this thread highlights - is the psychological benefit of having a "nice" space to work from home - in.

Starting during covid - there were a lot of people forced to work from 14" laptops on their kitchen worktop - when they had a decent monitor in the office.

If you do have space for a nice set up in your "Study" (now there's a pretentious term) - you are very fortunate.

I have a bedroom that is just a pure office. Not much in the way of 'decoration', but I have a cracking view of the hills out the window.
    Completely agree, and you sound like you're quite well catered for yourself. Any photos of the desk setup and the view from the window?

I think that the medical issues I've faced of late have made me want a kind of new start now I'm home and working properly again. I've thrown a fair bit of money at this project (not totted it all up as yet, but it will be well over a grand), but it's worth it to me in order to get the space absolutely perfectly arranged for my own taste and (of course) use case. I haven't been as excited about a project for a long time, in fact (and there's loads more still to come in terms of physical adjustments as well as kit)!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th March 2024 at 19:18.

Aye - I'll not be posting a photo looking out the window.......... someone will track me down and post my address here !

I've just never skimped on IT for work or leisure.

Look forward to seeing your end result.

Craftsman
    I absolutely love the remote control for the Halo, so have no issues at all in respect of the fact that it needs batteries; in fact, I regard it as a classic case of not skimping to save a few quid when the slightly more expensive option provides so many benefits. I doubt the batteries will need changing more than very rarely anyway as for the most part the remote just sits there untouched.

What are your wife's issues with the iMac? I run an M1 Max MBP and it's absolutely faultless as well as being blindingly fast.
    I think the remote is the same, just wired instead of wireless.

Anything BenQ is probably the best desk lighting option on the market in my book.

Everything is just really slow on her machine ... e.g. a Safari web page takes 30-45 seconds to load, and stuff like that. It's a few years old, but hard drive is only about 50%, and it has same memory as my laptop. I need to take it to a local Apple service guy and get him to have a look at it - it's a terrible advert for Apple products in it's current state LOL :-)

Glad to see you have been improving your home working setup Tony, it makes all the difference. I hope your health improves enough to be able to enjoy it.

I went down this rabbit hole over Covid and upgraded to a sit stand desk and a second hand Aeron chair.

I tried a 34w monitor but realised I needed the height too. Experimented with two 34w monitors but didn't like the frames and angles so went with a taller 44 inch Dell monitor which is perfect. Basically like four 24 inch monitors and no frames. Didn't want to go for an ultra wide as I didn't want to compromise on stereo speaker positioning.

My best purchase though were some Genelec studio monitors, the best AV purchase I have ever made. I use them all day now. Didn't take me long to supplement with the matching low profile subwoofer. Close your eyes and they sound like huge full range monitors! Love them.

I think the curves really match the design of the Aeron too.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Master
    Completely agree, and you sound like you're quite well catered for yourself. Any photos of the desk setup and the view from the window?

I think that the medical issues I've faced of late have made me want a kind of new start now I'm home and working properly again. I've thrown a fair bit of money at this project (not totted it all up as yet, but it will be well over a grand), but it's worth it to me in order to get the space absolutely perfectly arranged for my own taste and (of course) use case. I haven't been as excited about a project for a long time, in fact (and there's loads more still to come in terms of physical adjustments as well as kit)!
    You deserve it, even without the recent challenges, you spend long enough in there to make it perfect for you. No excuses for dark photos now though with the Halo lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Glad to see you have been improving your home working setup Tony, it makes all the difference. I hope your health improves enough to be able to enjoy it.

I went down this rabbit hole over Covid and upgraded to a sit stand desk and a second hand Aeron chair.

I tried a 34w monitor but realised I needed the height too. Experimented with two 34w monitors but didn't like the frames and angles so went with a taller 44 inch Dell monitor which is perfect. Basically like four 24 inch monitors and no frames. Didn't want to go for an ultra wide as I didn't want to compromise on stereo speaker positioning.

My best purchase though were some Genelec studio monitors, the best AV purchase I have ever made. I use them all day now. Didn't take me long to supplement with the matching low profile subwoofer. Close your eyes and they sound like huge full range monitors! Love them.

Screen looks a normal side until you use the Aeron as a reference. Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you very much-you might even get to see it one day!

That monitor of yours is bloody enormous. It doesn’t help my current commitment to staying with my current screen.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2024 at 02:45.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Agreed!

The desk area itself is ok, but I need to start again with how the rest of it is used and what goes where.

I might need to build some bookcase type thing around the door so I can put things like guitar amps on there and get them off the floor. Maybe put the hifi somewhere else, etc etc.

Maybe something to do over Easter.

Already contacted the chair people and am planning to pop in there next week if all goes to plan.
    Do please update as and when.

Master
    Do please update as and when.
    Will do. Easter is probably ambitious for building a bookcase to surround the door as I need to build the workbench first so that I can actually use the tools safely and have enough space to cut things safely etc.
    Think I’ll target the workbench for Easter…

Planning to pop into Reading to look at the chairs next week.

Thank you very much-you might even get to see it one day!

That monitor of yours is bloody enormous. It doesn’t help my current commitment to staying with my current screen.
    Absolutely!

I do use the space all the time, it's useful.

I mentioned earlier that on this occasion I'll be painting at the end of the project, Neil. My room will be anything but bland!

That's the spirit Tone!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Absolutely!

I do use the space all the time, it's useful.

You’ve already got me thinking of a new solution.

I find even with my significantly smaller screen, if I share on teams, I have to zoom in so much for people on a laptop that I need to be several feet from my screen to be able to see it properly.

Is there something in my / their settings I’m missing to prevent this? Or do my work colleagues just need to man up & stop using a small laptop screen on their salaries?

You’ve already got me thinking of a new solution.

I find even with my significantly smaller screen, if I share on teams, I have to zoom in so much for people on a laptop that I need to be several feet from my screen to be able to see it properly.

Is there something in my / their settings I’m missing to prevent this? Or do my work colleagues just need to man up & stop using a small laptop screen on their salaries?

I'd say the latter!

Master
    I'd say the latter!

I sense you are correct.

They offered us 22in monitors from the office to help set up our home work stations. How generous, and no thanks.

I sense you are correct.

They offered us 22in monitors from the office to help set up our home work stations. How generous, and no thanks.

Ha you can buy them for about 50 quid...

Mouse has arrived - now just waiting for the keyboard.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as Bea won’t let me do it on my own, given that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 15:25.

Master
    Tony, so did you mount the wall plate centrally for the tv, forgetting it offsets to the side when pushed back? You certainly won’t be the first of last with that.

Shelf looks spot on, making me toy with the base mount for my monitor, but I don’t want to find I am having to dremel it back out if I change my mind!

Master
    Next piece of the jigsaw arrived today, in the form of a shelf from Oakeywood. It’s absolutely perfect, and I’ll now be able to position the soon to be speakers just where I want them. Just have to decide on the colour!

Anyway, really happy with the shelf, although I wouldn’t want the monitor any higher at all than it is at the moment.

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as bea won’t let me do it on my own, lgiven that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    Splash of red with the speakers would really stand out, in a good way.
    Looking really good...

Tony, so did you mount the wall plate centrally for the tv, forgetting it offsets to the side when pushed back? You certainly won’t be the first of last with that.

Shelf looks spot on, making me toy with the base mount for my monitor, but I don’t want to find I am having to dremel it back out if I change my mind!

Sent from
    my iPad using Tapatalk
    No, Matt - I’m hoping to reposition the TV over the weekend but haven’t done it yet. The top of the monitor is just higher now because it’s standing on the shelf (and I’ve repositioned the desk so the TV is an altogether different position relative to the desk than when I started.).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 15:18.

Master

I’m hoping that, over the weekend, I’ll be able to reposition the television and also move my helmet racks over to the other side of the room. Depends on whether my son is available to help, as Bea won’t let me do it on my own, given that I’m not meant to be lifting or straining myself in any way at the moment.
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    you are giving me some inspo tony ill post pics of my room later, but the keyb and mouse are on the list.

do you have a webcam?
    Oh, that’s good to hear. Look forward to seeing your room as and when.

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 19:06.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Splash of red with the speakers would really stand out, in a good way.
    Looking really good...
    Thanks, and that’s what I’m thinking too, particularly as the walls are going to be grey.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 19:10.

Master

Yes, my webcam is a Logitech Brio. If I were buying now, though, I’d go for the Insta 360 with AI.
    That’s one hell of an upgrade!

I can’t be bothered upgrading my webcam so my peers can see me better, most are using the camera on their laptop & a screen, so they stare at their screen not at the camera; drives me insane given their income.

Our head of ahem, thought leadership, seems incapable of having his entire face on screen, usually like his chair has collapsed, and like he is in a dungeon - it’s darker than your photos lol. Bonkers given he is on a not beginning with 1 salary. He just doesn’t give a sh*t.

Master

ok great is it in that set up I can’t see where the webcam is (was wondering how it worked with the benq light )

That’s one hell of an upgrade!

I can’t be bothered upgrading my webcam so my peers can see me better, most are using the camera on their laptop & a screen, so they stare at their screen not at the camera; drives me insane given their income.

Our head of ahem, thought leadership, seems incapable of having his entire face on screen, usually like his chair has collapsed, and like he is in a dungeon - it’s darker than your photos lol. Bonkers given he is on a not beginning with 1 salary. He just doesn’t give a sh*t.

That REALLY bugs me as well, Matt - top of the head in shot and they don’t even attempt to make an adjustment. Sadly, I’m unable to adopt your nonchalance as a consequence - whatever I do I’m compelled to do it the very best level that I can.

I think one of the most pleasing aspects of a home office/pleasant workplace, is................ a CLEAN desk.

Sadly - I never seem to manage that.

Have the minimum amount of equip you need , and all the cabling tidied as much as is possible.

and have a neoprene mat for your coffee.

ok great is it in that set up I can’t see where the webcam is (was wondering how it worked with the benq light )
    Yes, it’s sitting on top of the BenQ light (the TV is making it hard to see). They sell a webcam accessory for that purpose.

Master
    This is my place at the moment , it’s in a garden room so separate from the house , around 9m2

thinking of going ultra wide for the monitor, will deffo upgrade the keyboard and mouse to the Logitech ones Tony got and must get some speakers !

table is solid oak , weighs a tonne but very happy with it.

I sit side on to the window which works well!

Master
    None of us at work bother with webcams now. Every so often the higher ups try and edict it and then it dies down and then hardly anyone bothers again :-)

Master
    Yes, it’s sitting on top of the BenQ light (the TV is making it hard to see). They sell a webcam accessory for that purpose.
    Very neat

Master
    That REALLY bugs me as well, Matt - top of the head in shot and they don’t even attempt to make an adjustment. Sadly, I’m unable to adopt your nonchalance as a consequence - whatever I do I’m compelled to do it the very best level that I can.
    If it wasn’t from my pocket, I’d agree. But not investing silly amounts more when there is such a lack of care elsewhere.

This is my place at the moment , it’s in a garden room so separate from the house , around 9m2

thinking of going ultra wide for the monitor, will deffo upgrade the keyboard and mouse to the Logitech ones Tony got and must get some speakers !

All looks very pleasant and makes for an enjoyable workplace.

Do you work from files on your mac or cloud or from PC in house?

Wifi or LAN from the house?

That’s a lovely space and desk. Great to get some privacy as well.

I’d think about putting a shelf on the desk because it would potentially give you room for the speakers.

Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 20:38.

Master

Panelled garden room, you posh sod lol.

Looks lovely.

I would need to align the middle of my monitors to the middle of the gaps between the panels, but that is why I waste way too much time in life!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    All looks very pleasant and makes for an enjoyable workplace.

Do you work from files on your mac or cloud or from PC in house?

Wifi or LAN from the house?
    Cheers

theres a laptop on a stand inthe background but most of my work stuff is on sharepoint anyway so mostly cloud based.

brought wired lan from the house,have a ubiuiti in wall AP for ethernet and wifi

Master
    That’s a lovely space and desk. Great to get some privacy as well.

I’d think about putting a shelf on the desk because it would potentially give you room for the speakers.
    good shout on the shelf, the desk is bigger than it looks in that pic, the two monitors are 24" each so its a wide set up!

- - - Updated - - -

Panelled garden room, you posh sod lol.

Looks lovely.

I would need to align the middle of my monitors to the middle of the gaps between the panels, but that is why I waste way too much time in life!

mrs cyrus is the brains behind the decorating to be fair!

I cant unsee that misalignment now, doh!

Master
    Was one comedic moment where someone forgot they were on cam & lit a cigarette. No issue in your own house, but not the best image on camera. Bloody amusing though!

Where was the desk top from, scanned back through but didn’t spot it? Toying with the upgrade, then remembered I needed new legs as well or the issue of power exists still.

Spent most of today on loooong calls in the Eames, it is so comfy I could easily drift off in it, which is a worry. Walls still bare, but plans in place. Need to record a call with myself as concerned with hard floor & no real soft furnishing I’m boomy, but probably over thinking things, as I tend to!

Master
    good shout on the shelf, the desk is bigger than it looks in that pic, the two monitors are 24" each so its a wide set up!

- - - Updated - - -

mrs cyrus is the brains behind the decorating to be fair!

I cant unsee that misalignment now, doh!
    I love the decor, my house is too young for such a thing to work without looking rather contrived. Next house will have that ability for sure.

Sorry on the alignment lol.

Was one comedic moment where someone forgot they were on cam & lit a cigarette. No issue in your own house, but not the best image on camera. Bloody amusing though!

Where was the desk top from, scanned back through but didn’t spot it? Toying with the upgrade, then remembered I needed new legs as well or the issue of power exists still.

Spent most of today on loooong calls in the Eames, it is so comfy I could easily drift off in it, which is a worry. Walls still bare, but plans in place. Need to record a call with myself as concerned with hard floor & no real soft furnishing I’m boomy, but probably over thinking things, as I tend to!

It's from here. Not expensive as I know at some point I'm going for a solid wood sit/stand.

On calls with my team, I openly vape (they're used to it). On other calls, particularly long ones, my camera is occasionally off whilst I indulge. I wouldn't let anyone outside my team see me doing it, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd March 2024 at 23:10.

Master
    It's from here. Not expensive as I know at some point I'm going for a solid wood sit/stand.

On calls with my team, I openly vape (they're used to it). On other calls, particularly long ones, my camera is occasionally off whilst I indulge. I wouldn't let anyone outside my team see mo doing it, though.
    Cheers for the link, Tony. Will have a good look over the weekend.

Am sure I’d vape internally if I still did. Quite glad I’d quit way before WFH as not leaving my desk to vape would have been way too tempting. I love seeing high end kit like yours and do miss the experimentation.

As I use a virtual background, I find a swiftly applied coaster over the cam allows for a sip of anything after hours as required and looks like a cam glitch. I hope so anyway!

Cheers for the link, Tony. Will have a good look over the weekend.

Am sure I’d vape internally if I still did. Quite glad I’d quit way before WFH as not leaving my desk to vape would have been way too tempting. I love seeing high end kit like yours and do miss the experimentation.

As I use a virtual background, I find a swiftly applied coaster over the cam allows for a sip of anything after hours as required and looks like a cam glitch. I hope so anyway!

Without a green screen I don't find that any of the virtual backgrounds - even blurring, in fact - work properly. You can always see from any kind of movement that they're not real, so I could never allow myself to use one.

Craftsman

Love that desk, very smart.

Haha - had never thought of that and I bet I would have fallen for that ! Goes to check the TV in the spare room...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Love that desk, very smart.
    Thanks

It's from here

https://www.oakstudiodesigns.com/en/...le-kon?rq=Desk