closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 264

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

  1. #1
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642

    Home office reno and desk set-up

    I spend about 12 hours every day in my home office, a small 10x8ft extension at the rear of the house. Until relatively recently I’d grown very uncritical about the way it looked and the manner in which the desk was set up. However, I’d been growing increasingly aware that my desk was causing me some angst (one of those old-school office jobs with a curve on one half of the front edge). At the same time, my chair needed some work to it, as one of the arm pads had split (it was never the most comfortable in any event).

    Anyway, over recent weeks I’ve been obsessing about how I can make the room feel more warm/cosy/possibly moody and particularly how I can address the issues above but also set up the desk in the most productive way (accounting for the fact that I can often find myself in there at night). That includes both kit and layout, and following a fair amount of research I’ve now defined and started to implement my plan. Much of what I’m doing in terms of changes involves some elements of kit that are generally regarded as the best available right now, so I thought I’d start a thread documenting the various current and planned changes – and the ongoing progress – in case it’s firstly of interest, and secondly helpful to other TZers.

    Okay, so this is what it looked like to begin with – unfortunately I didn’t include the curved front edge in this shot, but it shows a fairly basic, albeit neat, layout.



    Nothing very inspiring, though, and overall pretty… bland. My current kit less so, though - it’s built around a blindingly fast Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max which I knowingly over specified when I bought it not that long ago:10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core neural engine, 64GB unified memory and 2TB SSD storage. Supporting that beast is a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display – again, a fantastic bit of kit. There are no plans whatsoever to change either any time soon, I should add, albeit that monitor temptation is strong.

    The reno of the room itself is essentially a few repairs and a paint job on e walls, although it’s fair to say that the finish is going to be relatively radical. Normally I’d do that first, but given that I’m still in recovery from my recent surgery that can’t happen. Accordingly, I’m hoping that it will be done two weekends from now, three at the most (I’ve enlisted my son and one of his friends to help with any lifting, etc). I’ve not been idle, though, and have started implementing the desk set-up changes that I have in mind. This is what I’ve done so far, with various other updates to follow over the next week or two.

    Desk

    I did think long and hard about splurging on a quality sit/stand frame with a solid wooden top, but cost-wise it was looking frightening, and in reality I didn’t see myself standing whilst working once the novelty of dong so had worn off. Accordingly, I decided to re-use the legs on the existing desk and just get a plain rectangular replacement as cost=effectively as possible. I knew I want black, and my sone and I worked for a fair bit longer than anticipated yesterday to make it happen. (I actually overdid it, and ended up in bed from early evening with a sore tummy.)



    (There's a little nod to TZ in that photo - I wonder if anyone can tell me what it is...)

    Chair

    Now, I did splurge a bit on the chair, but given the extent that I sit on it I reckon it was justifiable. Anyway, I went for a fully adjustable Herman Miller Aeron Remastered, which new are about £1200. However, they can be picked up for about 35-40% of that refurbished without too much trouble and sometimes a little less that that with more patience and effort. I’ve never experienced a work chair even approaching the heavenly comfort afforded by the Aeron, and although it was expensive I have no buyer’s remorse whatsoever. I LOVE it.



    With more to follow imminently, there are also a couple of new items on my desk that are currently considered best in class, so I thought fellow TZers might be interested to see them and, perhaps consider whether they would make useful upgrades themselves.

    Dock

    I needed to upgrade my connectivity options, so bought the outstanding Caldigit TS4 Thunderbolt dock. The TS4 is currently considered the best dock available right now – there are many, many reviews on the net testifying to that – so the decision to overspend a little on it was a relatively easy one.

    It provides an insane 18 ports (12 on the back and 6 on the front) as well as charging my MBP at 97w through a direct Thunderbolt connection. This is brilliant, as if I need to become mobile with my laptop, I just unplug that one lead and off I go (I already have the Apple Magsafe charger and another pre-connected wireless mouse in my travel bag).



    Mouse

    Once again, my new mouse – a Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac – is deemed to be arguably the best mouse available at the moment. It’s a very ergonomic design, has some fantastic basic functionality as well as being very customisable. For me, though, it will also play nicely with something else that I have coming down the line, so when I found it with a bit of a reduction as Amazon I leapt into action in classic LTF style. To be honest, I could probably have got away with not buying t, but… well, I did.



    Well, that’s it for now, although there will be some further updates as and when other changes take place and it’ll culminate with the big change in respect of dťcor which I mentioned earlier. I do hope it’s of interest to some, because all the little details have been keeping me awake at night for weeks now (well, that and one or two unassociated issues!!!).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 23:10.

  2. #2
    Get a nice keyboard. e.g. a Keychron pro with some silent switches in it.

    So much better to type on.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  3. #3
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Get a nice keyboard. e.g. a Keychron pro with some silent switches in it.

    So much better to type on.
    I actually have a new keyboard on the way - I'v been yearning to revert to a mechanical with that tactile clicking that I used to love, though. More on that to follow.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414

    Home office reno and desk set-up

    Looking good, Tony, was going to suggest the chair & saw you already had done it. Have never regretted purchasing my Aeron, it is just so comfortable regardless of hours sat in it during the day.

    The comparison when I go to the office & sit in their rubbish chairs is an eye opener. Iíve only worked for one company where the default chair was an Aeron, but it was a nice touch vs the usual crap they give you to sot on all day.

    I have also added an Eames lounge style chair in my office for longer calls / where Iím not on camera, again, ever so comfortable.

    Love the upper tv / monitor, but know I canít be trusted not to drift off watching whatever was more interesting than my spreadsheet & PowerPoints!

    Iíve also got the MX3 mouse for Mac, but change between that & the Apple one based on what Iím doing work wise, my thumb doesnít like the switching between desktops button vs the mad mouse. Also have the track pad the other side, but thatís only when Iím feeling hyper productive or scrolling through large documents for review.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mj2k; 17th March 2024 at 17:06.

  5. #5
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking good, Tony, was going to suggest the chair & saw you already had done it. Have never regretted purchasing my Aeron, it is just so comfortable regardless of hours sat in it during the day.

    The comparison when I go to the office & sit in their rubbish chairs is an eye opener. I’ve only worked for one company where the default chair was an Aeron, but it was a nice touch vs the usual crap they give you to sot on all day.

    I have also added an Eames lounge style chair in my office for longer calls / where I’m not on camera, again, ever so comfortable.

    Love the upper tv / monitor, but know I can’t be trusted not to drift off watching whatever was more interesting than my spreadsheet & PowerPoints!

    I’ve also got the MX3 mouse for Mac, but change between that & the Apple one based on what I’m doing work wise, my thumb doesn’t like the switching between desktops button vs the mad mouse. Also have the track pad the other side, but that’s only when I’m feeling hyper productive or scrolling through large documents for review.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That bloody TV has been driving me nuts, Matt. It needs to be repositioned 5cm to the left (which it will be after painting) but for the life of me I can't work out how to remove the residual piece if the stand In fact, I'm certain that you can't.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 17:47.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That bloody TV has been driving me nuts, Matt. It needs to be reositioned 5cm to the left (which it will be after painting) but for the life of me I can't work out how to remove the residual piece if the stand In fact, I'm certain that you can't.
    I had assumed it was on a pull out arm, not just out of alignment, as yes that would drive me nuts too. I have my monitor on an arm & it never moves, but still measure the distance to the wall on each side and height every morning so I can relax itís perfect.

    I think many monitors have stand designs that are one way only, hence I never tried to use my original Samsung one just in case. A friend has been successful with 2 of theirs using a Dremel & removing enough of the insert of the stand to give enough movement to get it out, but it runs a risk!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,974
    Get an ultrawide 49" monitor to increase your desktop real estate. Once you've had dual monitors you would never go back to a single monitor, and once you've had an ultrawide monitor you'd never go back to dual monitors. Already mentioned and you've explained that you'll be moving the TV to be central and if you can't remove the stand piece, buy a new one; it will bug you after you've gone to so much effort.

  8. #8
    Every time I sit at my desk I see something Iíd like to improve, for me I do 70% of my time on Teams calls so I not only have to worry about what I see but also behind me, that they see. Speakers is next on my list, but canít decide on what.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Get an ultrawide 49" monitor to increase your desktop real estate. Once you've had dual monitors you would never go back to a single monitor, and once you've had an ultrawide monitor you'd never go back to dual monitors. Already mentioned and you've explained that you'll be moving the TV to be central and if you can't remove the stand piece, buy a new one; it will bug you after you've gone to so much effort.
    Stop it! That is not the encouragement I need.

    Iím on a standard 32Ē which causes enough issues with how I send XLS files out vs other peopleís zoom on small monitors it seems. Also concerned IT wonít install whatever software I really need to take advantage of the real estate.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    How about having a desk that is a lot narrower and turn it 90 deg to the right so that you have the window behind you which could make your office feel bigger and not narrow/closed in, 12 HPD you want to feel great.

    Keep the key board/mouse on the desk and mount all the other stuff either to the wall in front of you or to the side.

  11. #11
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Get an ultrawide 49" monitor to increase your desktop real estate. Once you've had dual monitors you would never go back to a single monitor, and once you've had an ultrawide monitor you'd never go back to dual monitors. Already mentioned and you've explained that you'll be moving the TV to be central and if you can't remove the stand piece, buy a new one; it will bug you after you've gone to so much effort.
    Yes, it's on the cards to he honest.

    No plans to change the monitor as yet. The attraction for me is the Apple Studio monitor, although I do understand the advantages of an ultra-wide... another rabbit hole, these monitors, and more money out of the watch/motorbike fund!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    How about having a desk that is a lot narrower and turn it 90 deg to the right so that you have the window behind you which could make your office feel bigger and not narrow/closed in, 12 HPD you want to feel great.

    Keep the key board/mouse on the desk and mount all the other stuff either to the wall in front of you or to the side.
    No thanks.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 17:53.

  12. #12
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Every time I sit at my desk I see something Iíd like to improve, for me I do 70% of my time on Teams calls so I not only have to worry about what I see but also behind me, that they see. Speakers is next on my list, but canít decide on what.
    I've narrowed speakers down to two, one pair of which is a piano red finish!

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes

    No thanks.
    Yeah with you there, risk of glare and a smaller desk to boot. I like the layout as it stands. Do you still do a lot of paper based work, as I ditched the in & out tray with a push to go paperless.

    You now need some desk toys / fidget spinner type things to keep your fingers busy on calls / when reading. Iíve got 2 premium spinners, a micarta (spelling!?) worry stone and a clicking one if Iím not on a call & reading.

    Would love a standing desk, but just move to the kitchen if I want to be standing for a session or two using a step riser.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yeah with you there, risk of glare and a smaller desk to boot. I like the layout as it stands. Do you still do a lot of paper based work, as I ditched the in & out tray with a push to go paperless.

    You now need some desk toys / fidget spinner type things to keep your fingers busy on calls / when reading. Iíve got 2 premium spinners, a micarta (spelling!?) worry stone and a clicking one if Iím not on a call & reading.

    Would love a standing desk, but just move to the kitchen if I want to be standing for a session or two using a step riser.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do, Matt, as I'm continuing to run my own business in addition to my salaried role. That said, I want the desk real estate that the trays are taking up, so they form part of the imminent bigger picture.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I do, Matt, as I'm continuing to run my own business in addition to my salaried role. That said, I want the desk real estate that the trays are taking up, so they form part of the imminent bigger picture.
    Youíve now got me thinking about a new desk damn you!

    Original desk had to be quite small depth wise, as a bed was behind me for kids when friends stayed over. Decided to ditch the bed & they can have inflatable mattresses when they stay over.

    Could now increase the depth & therefore options. Currently desk is white with a black leather mat over it, so keeping a similar black-white tone works for me; work ordered me the white-silver keyboard & mouse, so couldnít get black that you have.

    Forgot to mention the original curved desk edge, Iíve never been able to get comfortable at one of those when previous employers had them, just always felt strange to me, especially if you sit mid curve and have it around either side. Not entirely sure where they gained popularity.

    TZ nod, is that a rotor in the bottom photo?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You’ve now got me thinking about a new desk damn you!

    Original desk had to be quite small depth wise, as a bed was behind me for kids when friends stayed over. Decided to ditch the bed & they can have inflatable mattresses when they stay over.

    Could now increase the depth & therefore options. Currently desk is white with a black leather mat over it, so keeping a similar black-white tone works for me; work ordered me the white-silver keyboard & mouse, so couldn’t get black that you have.

    Forgot to mention the original curved desk edge, I’ve never been able to get comfortable at one of those when previous employers had them, just always felt strange to me, especially if you sit mid curve and have it around either side. Not entirely sure where they gained popularity.

    TZ nod, is that a rotor in the bottom photo?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My desk s 1400x800, Matt, and I certainly wouldn't go narrower than that for reasons that will shortly become obvious. Yeah, that curve drove me absolutely nuts, and forced me to sit off- entre (very annoying if details matter to you - which I know they do!).

    No, you don't win, I'm afraid

    PS I was about to send you a photo of this evening's addition, but decided against it!

  17. #17
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    14,996
    I'd second the move to an ultrawide -you'll never go back. Windows PowerToys allows you to carve up the screen into different zones and I imagine there is similar capability availabile on MacOS. I'd also lift the monitor off the desk with an arm.

    I've just ordered a Keychron keyboard as my existing Logitech one is wearing out and can't wait for it to turn up. I was slightly annoyed as it's the first online retailer I've noticed sitting on a .de website but shipping from China with tax to pay - should have paid more attention I suppose. I'm also considering the purchase of a Madcatz gaming mouse as I had one before (after trying one owned by a friend's teenage son) - they aren't any good for traveling as they don't like being dropped but keeping one at home should work.

    I'm with you on having a universal dock - I have a Dell one and have since bought another one to plug into the AV setup when I can't get content onto the Apple TV.

    On the subject of keyboards, last week I spun up an old Dell Latitude to run Whatsapp to help with something I was working with. The laptop is over 10 years old and has a proper, solid keyboard with travel - it's a joy to use compared to the current offering from Lenovo.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

  18. #18
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd second the move to an ultrawide -you'll never go back. Windows PowerToys allows you to carve up the screen into different zones and I imagine there is similar capability availabile on MacOS. I'd also lift the monitor off the desk with an arm.

    I've just ordered a Keychron keyboard as my existing Logitech one is wearing out and can't wait for it to turn up. I was slightly annoyed as it's the first online retailer I've noticed sitting on a .de website but shipping from China with tax to pay - should have paid more attention I suppose. I'm also considering the purchase of a Madcatz gaming mouse as I had one before (after trying one owned by a friend's teenage son) - they aren't any good for traveling as they don't like being dropped but keeping one at home should work.

    I'm with you on having a universal dock - I have a Dell one and have since bought another one to plug into the AV setup when I can't get content onto the Apple TV.

    On the subject of keyboards, last week I spun up an old Dell Latitude to run Whatsapp to help with something I was working with. The laptop is over 10 years old and has a proper, solid keyboard with travel - it's a joy to use compared to the current offering from Lenovo.
    I almost went for the Keychron, actually, but decided that there were advantages in staying within the Logi ecosystem (more on that shortly). Can you please stop talking about ultrawides as I've spent more than enough already.

  19. #19
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    14,996

    Home office reno and desk set-up

    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can you please stop tsking about ultrawides as I'cve spent more than enough already.


    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

  20. #20
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post



  21. #21
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    43,084
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  22. #22
    A monitor light bar, a nice spread of light, you got brightness and colour /warm control


    https://www.mi.com/uk/product/mi-com...tor-light-bar/

  23. #23
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    A monitor light bar, a nice spread of light, you got brightness and colour /warm control


    https://www.mi.com/uk/product/mi-com...tor-light-bar/
    Funny, because I fitted a Benq Halo this evening. I'll include some photos in the next update but it looks fantastic.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've narrowed speakers down to two, one pair of which is a piano red finish!
    I hope youíre talking about the audio engine A2, because KEFs wonít work in that space, and the AEs are the bizÖ had a pair for about 15 years.

  25. #25
    I hate my ultra wide. Itís just too wide and feels more natural to turn my head to a second screen that a different part of the same screen.

    Its only value is for dealing with mega excel sheets.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My desk s 1400x800, Matt, and I certainly wouldn't go narrower than that for reasons that will shortly become obvious. Yeah, that curve drove me absolutely nuts, and forced me to sit off- entre (very annoying if details matter to you - which I know they do!).

    No, you don't win, I'm afraid

    PS I was about to send you a photo of this evening's addition, but decided against it!
    You tease!

    Been looking at Halo lights, I have a Logi camera sitting on top of my monitor, so not sure how it will look or mount tbh. Interested in your thoughts once youíre set up.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    19,392
    Looks good. I went for a refurbished HM chair too but skimped and should have got the one you have. May go back and fix that.

    If you do go ultra wide 34 is probably enough. I went with 38 and itís just a bit too wide. Definitely get a good quality adjustable monitor arm and have the mac open below it for emails/notes although it might ruin your mounted tv above. Iím very close to getting a 34 to mount above my 38 for a nice stacked set up.

    One thing Iíve never regretted is the electric standing desk. When Iím at work I use it every single day.

  28. #28
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,974
    Tony, here's my 'working from home' setup if this gives you any ideas. The three laptops (there's sometimes a fourth!!!) are the work devices with the two uppermost 24" monitors repeaters/extenders for whichever laptops I connect them to. The ultrawide is attached to my personal computer (An Intel [now Asus] NUC).

    The keyboard is the Logitech G915 which is superb and the mouse a Logitech MX Master 2S.

    My chair is an Ergohuman Plus.

    Last edited by Skier; 18th March 2024 at 11:56.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Tony, here's my 'working from home' setup if this gives you any ideas. The three laptops (there's sometimes a fourth!!!) are the work devices with the two uppermost 24" monitors repeaters for whichever laptops I connect them to. The ultrawide is attached to my personal computer (An Intel [now Asus] NUC).

    The keyboard is the Logitech G915 which is superb and the mouse a Logitech MX Master 2S.

    My chair is an Ergohuman Plus.

    OK, you are going to have to explain the why behind all this!

    3 different employers all not knowing you have other jobs?

    Iíve used 2 laptops in the past, one working & 1 for my own company email etc, but never needed that many screens.

    Iím seriously intrigued & a,aged youíve been allowed to do it, my wife would have said no after the widescreen!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I hope you’re talking about the audio engine A2, because KEFs won’t work in that space, and the AEs are the biz… had a pair for about 15 years.
    Yes, the A2+ (in red) or the A5s. The KEFs are gorgeous though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 22:17.

  31. #31
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I hate my ultra wide. Itís just too wide and feels more natural to turn my head to a second screen that a different part of the same screen.

    Its only value is for dealing with mega excel sheets.
    Well, I certainly donít like dual monitors, nor would I contemplate them at home. I reckon I could go to about 34Ē here, though.

  32. #32
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You tease!

    Been looking at Halo lights, I have a Logi camera sitting on top of my monitor, so not sure how it will look or mount tbh. Interested in your thoughts once you’re set up.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It’s brilliant, Matt. I went for the BenQ because it has a backlight too, and I was right to do so. It also has an accessory that allows a webcam to be mounted above it; works really well aside from the unwanted additional height of about an inch and a half.

  33. #33
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks good. I went for a refurbished HM chair too but skimped and should have got the one you have. May go back and fix that.

    If you do go ultra wide 34 is probably enough. I went with 38 and it’s just a bit too wide. Definitely get a good quality adjustable monitor arm and have the mac open below it for emails/notes although it might ruin your mounted tv above. I’m very close to getting a 34 to mount above my 38 for a nice stacked set up.

    One thing I’ve never regretted is the electric standing desk. When I’m at work I use it every single day.
    See above - 34” is about as big as I’d go, I think. I may yet go for a sit/stand desk, I’m just not sure at the moment.

    I couldn’t see myself ever wanting to type on an open laptop below a main monitor, although I can see how it would work for note-taking.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 22:33.

  34. #34
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Tony, here's my 'working from home' setup if this gives you any ideas. The three laptops (there's sometimes a fourth!!!) are the work devices with the two uppermost 24" monitors repeaters for whichever laptops I connect them to. The ultrawide is attached to my personal computer (An Intel [now Asus] NUC).

    The keyboard is the Logitech G915 which is superb and the mouse a Logitech MX Master 2S.

    My chair is an Ergohuman Plus.

    Good grief!!! Ive always liked the look of those chairs - how do you find yours?

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It’s brilliant, Matt. I went for the BenQ because it has a backlight too, and I was right to do so. It also has an accessory that allows a webcam to be mounted above it; works really well aside from the unwanted additional height of about an inch and a half.
    It does look the part, I have to say. Iíd be worried with the extra height of my eyes not looking at the camera at all vs my screen. It has been a comment or two before. Iíve got an LED task lamp, which solved a short term need for my early morning calls with other markets, but never evolved to a better solution.



    Usually he steals my attention if there isnít a meeting, or if there is, his tail / head bop will usually change the mood of any meeting; he is known internally and to all my clients who asked where he is if heís not appeared.

    Iíve only done one disciplinary since WFH & did shut the door, bribing him with food downstairs, as didnít think he was the best professional image for me.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It does look the part, I have to say. Iíd be worried with the extra height of my eyes not looking at the camera at all vs my screen. It has been a comment or two before. Iíve got an LED task lamp, which solved a short term need for my early morning calls with other markets, but never evolved to a better solution.



    Usually he steals my attention if there isnít a meeting, or if there is, his tail / head bop will usually change the mood of any meeting; he is known internally and to all my clients who asked where he is if heís not appeared.

    Iíve only done one disciplinary since WFH & did shut the door, bribing him with food downstairs, as didnít think he was the best professional image for me.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LOLZ

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    2,182
    As a counterpoint to the HM Aeron I bought a brand new gaming version a few years back and had to send it back under the 14 day trial. The hard seat frame dug into my left thigh after a while and it just became uncomfortable . To say the least I was a bit gutted but at least I was not out of pocket. I ended up getting a really good deal on a Human Scale leather Freedom chair and it was just much better for me. The added plus being the head rest which the HM does not have unless you get a third party accessory and I use that quite a bit. Weirdly Iíd had an old HM at work years ago and it was fine and Iíve not particularly changed size.

  38. #38
    I used a Keychron K8 for a while. I also grew up using the classic IBM keyboards and wanted to get back to those days. Also I like using a typewriter, so it seemed a good idea...



    ...but I really hated it.

    I reverted back to the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad. Both are unbeatable. I tried the newer trackpad, but simply prefer this older one:



    That's from when I was using the revered Mac Mini 2014. The model that offered an innovative two (2) Efficiency Cores and zero (0) Performance Cores.

    Now I've "upgraded" to an older 2013 iMac...



    The old desk lamp has been replaced by an LED one, with varying degrees of brightness and colour temperature. It's very good, I really like it.

    Occasionally I do revert to literally burning the midnight (paraffin) oil though...



    A little hard to photograph, but it's a very soft and calm light.

    I do have a MBP M1 something or other with lots of specs for work, but most of my stuff works fine on the decade-old iMac (running Sonoma 14.4 at time of posting, via OCLP)

    TT

  39. #39
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I used a Keychron K8 for a while. I also grew up using the classic IBM keyboards and wanted to get back to those days. Also I like using a typewriter, so it seemed a good idea...

    ...but I really hated it.

    I reverted back to the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad. Both are unbeatable. I tried the newer trackpad, but simply prefer this older one:

    That's from when I was using the revered Mac Mini 2014. The model that offered an innovative two (2) Efficiency Cores and zero (0) Performance Cores.

    Now I've "upgraded" to an older 2013 iMac...

    The old desk lamp has been replaced by an LED one, with varying degrees of brightness and colour temperature. It's very good, I really like it.

    Occasionally I do revert to literally burning the midnight (paraffin) oil though...

    A little hard to photograph, but it's a very soft and calm light.

    I do have a MBP M1 something or other with lots of specs for work, but most of my stuff works fine on the decade-old iMac (running Sonoma 14.4 at time of posting, via OCLP)

    TT
    I hope I don't have the same experience with the keyboard that's en-route, Paul.

    Anyway, next addition is the BenQ Halo LED monitor light bar. I picked this one for a multitude of reasons; it's great quality coming from Benq, this particular model creates a backlight as well, it has an accessory that enables a webcam to sit on top of it and the controls are superb. At night, I have to say that its spectacular compared to not having one, and allows full visibility of the desk as well as throwing a lovely ambient glow onto the wall.


  40. #40
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,131
    Sorry, Iíve only just come to this thread and havenít read it thoroughly.

    In your first post Tony, I got to 10ft x 8ft at the back of the house and immediately thought retire and convert it to a garage!

  41. #41
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Sorry, Iíve only just come to this thread and havenít read it thoroughly.

    In your first post Tony, I got to 10ft x 8ft at the back of the house and immediately thought retire and convert it to a garage!
    Believe me I've thought about it

  42. #42
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    25,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Sorry, I’ve only just come to this thread and haven’t read it thoroughly.

    In your first post Tony, I got to 10ft x 8ft at the back of the house and immediately thought retire and convert it to a garage!
    I was mildly concerned for him, the OP, poor chap he spends 12 plus hours a day in a space the size of some gaol cells!

    FREE LTF!
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th March 2024 at 09:06.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    At night, I have to say that its spectacular compared to not having one, and allows full visibility of the desk as well as throwing a lovely ambient glow onto the wall
    I was originally intending to reply mainly that lighting makes a big difference for anywhere you may sit and work, but got a bit carried away

    The Keychron is a fine device but I think my preferences just developed beyond my memories of mechanical keyboards. A lot of Youtubers are deep into keyboards, possibly for the looks I suspect, and I kind of got drawn into it too. I was fully invested in "thock", "lube" (oh yes...), hot-swapping and the joy of coiled cables and all that: it's yet another blokey rabbit hole to fall into if you are not careful.

    But at the end of it, I just had to admit to myself, I preferred typing on the Apple one. YMMV.

    The stripy desk mat from Ikea circa 1992 is essential, by the way. Transformed my desk environment and improved my life, IQ and dancing skills. Highly Recommended.

  44. #44
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I was mildly concerned for him, the OP, poor chap he spends 12 plus hours a day in a space the size of some gaol cells!

    FREE LTF!
    Given that I have a full time job (for which I WFH) and run my own business at the same time, it's not so bad; that's 8 hours of the working day where I need to be at my desk anyway, and during weekends I tend not to be in there anywhere near as much. I do a lot of computer-based personal stuff too, which I really enjoy.

    That said, yes - I'd rather be not working and sitting by the pool.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2024 at 09:22.

  45. #45
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I was originally intending to reply mainly that lighting makes a big difference for anywhere you may sit and work, but got a bit carried away

    The Keychron is a fine device but I think my preferences just developed beyond my memories of mechanical keyboards. A lot of Youtubers are deep into keyboards, possibly for the looks I suspect, and I kind of got drawn into it too. I was fully invested in "thock", "lube" (oh yes...), hot-swapping and the joy of coiled cables and all that: it's yet another blokey rabbit hole to fall into if you are not careful.

    But at the end of it, I just had to admit to myself, I preferred typing on the Apple one. YMMV.

    The stripy desk mat from Ikea circa 1992 is essential, by the way. Transformed my desk environment and improved my life, IQ and dancing skills. Highly Recommended.
    I could easily get sucked in, Paul. In fact, I almost bought two variants of the keyboard that's on the way!

    I actually have what I hope is a lovely desk mat on the way.

  46. #46
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    25,370
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Given that I have a full time job (for which I WFH) and run my own business at the same time, it's not so bad; that's 8 hours of the working day where I need to be at my desk anyway, and during weekends I tend not to be in there anywhere near as much. I do a lot of computer-based personal stuff too, which I really enjoy.

    That said, yes - I'd rather be not working and sitting by the pool.
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek...all the best to you, hope youīre on the mend.

  47. #47
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek...all the best to you, hope youīre on the mend.
    It was actually a fair point. Yes, doing okay, thanks.

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,575
    Skier - having said "wow" - can I ask how facing the window works for you (or anyone else out there)? I have a medium-sized office at home. Currently the desk faces a wall at a right angle to the window, since it seemed sensible to keep the window (and radiator beneath it) clear. I've been contemplating moving the desk to face the window, which would liberate the lower half of one wall for more shelving - I could then face the window with shelving on all three sides behind me.

    But if you google optimal desk location everyone seems to say don't face a window [a] because of possible eye strain, too bright etc, and [b] distraction. Thoughts and experiences on window-facing desks would be welcome ...

  49. #49
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Skier - having said "wow" - can I ask how facing the window works for you (or anyone else out there)? I have a medium-sized office at home. Currently the desk faces a wall at a right angle to the window, since it seemed sensible to keep the window (and radiator beneath it) clear. I've been contemplating moving the desk to face the window, which would liberate the lower half of one wall for more shelving - I could then face the window with shelving on all three sides behind me.

    But if you google optimal desk location everyone seems to say don't face a window [a] because of possible eye strain, too bright etc, and [b] distraction. Thoughts and experiences on window-facing desks would be welcome ...
    The simple answer would be a blind, I'd have thought.

  50. #50
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    OK, you are going to have to explain the why behind all this!

    3 different employers all not knowing you have other jobs?

    I’ve used 2 laptops in the past, one working & 1 for my own company email etc, but never needed that many screens.

    I’m seriously intrigued & a,aged you’ve been allowed to do it, my wife would have said no after the widescreen!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm not going to go into too much detail but I'm a Management Consultant in a specialist area. The two laptops on the right are company IT at different classifications and the laptop on the left is client IT. The additional laptop (not shown) is also client. It's bliss when I'm on leave and can clear the desk.

    To answer Tony regarding what do I think of the Ergohuman chair. I'm on my second and find them excellent.
    Last edited by Skier; 18th March 2024 at 12:05.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information