closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Fifty Fathoms 21 March

New Fifty Fathoms 21 March

A new Fifty Fathoms is being released on Thursday. The rumours are that it's a standard production 42.3mm titanium model - the same case dimensions as the steel Anniversary Act 1 (and pretty much the same as the Swatch collaboration). It would make sense - Marc Hayek has suggested more models will be coming in that size and BP has said that more straps in the awkward 21.5mm width are on the way. Would love to see a no date variant but no doubt it'll be expensive at around the £16k mark. Does anyone have any more info?

I've been invited to the Blancpain boutique in London on the 21st for the launch but can't make it. No further details were provided apart from its a new Fifty Fathoms.
    If your speculation that it's 42mm in titanium is correct, it could be the watch I've been waiting for!!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure someone leaked this a few days ago on one of the other forums. Looked like that bronze thing they released recently but in steel or Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've been invited to the Blancpain boutique in London on the 21st for the launch but can't make it.
    Same, i’d have like to see it in the flesh

Master
    Well if current trends are anything to go by it'll be 38mm and you'll need a magnifying glass to read the dial.

Blog Entries
    42.3 mm with sapphire caseback and some nice titanium options but expensive
    Last edited by numberjack; 21st March 2024 at 08:32.

Assuming the BP website is correct, there's some strange pricing here: the titanium models are £15500 on the NATO, £17100 on a strap and £18000 on the bracelet. That's a very expensive sailcloth strap and titanium buckle.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Master
    The red gold with black bezel and dial is nice. But. £29k? Seems on the pricey side to me, not that I am in the market for such a trinket ATM.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

From memory - the Blancpain sailcloths are expnensive, but the bracelets are something like £2k expensive!

Love the look of the black/rose gold on the sailcloth, but not sure it would suit me (or my wallet)

Master
    Well Ive just been on their website. I didn’t appreciate how many FF variants there were. Ive seen Verv on here sell one or two nice pieces but the range is somewhat “ Speedmaster” in its variations.

Craftsman
    At long last Blancpain have listened and released a non-limited edition 42mm Fifty Fathoms. There was a circa 10% price increase at the beginning of March so the prices are now well out of my league.

The 45mm blue titanium 45mm now retails at £15,800 on either the Nato or sailcloth but the 42mm version according to the Blancpain website, is £15,500 on Nato and £17,100 on sailcloth, I'm not sure that makes sense for the sailcloth price. A great step in the right direction but I'll make do with my 45mm bought when prices were quite a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well Ive just been on their website. I didn’t appreciate how many FF variants there were. Ive seen Verv on here sell one or two nice pieces but the range is somewhat “ Speedmaster” in its variations.
    I hope they don't do a "Fifty Friday" a la Omega..............

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    At long last Blancpain have listened and released a non-limited edition 42mm Fifty Fathoms. There was a circa 10% price increase at the beginning of March so the prices are now well out of my league.

The 45mm blue titanium 45mm now retails at £15,800 on either the Nato or sailcloth but the 42mm version according to the Blancpain website, is £15,500 on Nato and £17,100 on sailcloth, I'm not sure that makes sense for the sailcloth price. A great step in the right direction but I'll make do with my 45mm bought when prices were quite a bit lower.
    The delta between the nato and sailcloth doesn't feel right, hopefully it's an error. It would have made more sense had the sailcloth come with a deployant but I don't think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    The delta between the nato and sailcloth doesn't feel right, hopefully it's an error. It would have made more sense had the sailcloth come with a deployant but I don't think it does.
    Actually, I think it does. Comparing the Blancpain website shows the sailcloth on the 45mm with a pin buckle, and the new 5010 sailcloth has a deployant. But then it's just a small jump from the sailcloth + deployant to a full bracelet.

Master
    Be interesting to see it in the metal but 45mm is the perfect size for this watch, I hope it doesn't suffer too much from losing a couple of mm. Glad they kept the looks.

IWC totally ruined the Aquatimer in its latest 40mm iteration. Takes a lovely photo, but up close it's a weedy looking thing, no wrist presence whatsoever.

Master
    Thought the current 3 handed Aquatimer was 42mm?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Thought the current 3 handed Aquatimer was 42mm?
    Sorry mistyped! I meant the new Ingenieur. Total missed opportunity.

Blog Entries
    Far far away from the original and its intentions.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Far far away from the original and its intentions.
    Well the tiny originals were from a different age - 32mm? 34mm? - even the later 'Jumbo' was only 40mm. The big bezel design makes them all look even smaller. The original ones are pieces of a size that few average-sized blokes these days could carry off without looking a bit silly.

IMO the Genta-inspired design only came into its own in the 00s with the 42mm models and later. The 40mm may be an attempt at matching this moment's fashion but I believe it's a mistake. If the old ones weren't selling it was probably because too many naff intrusions from motorsport had got in to the designs over time.

Thankfully not all manufacturers are falling into the trap of miniaturising their watches. Some retreat from the previous 44mm and over trend of the last couple of decades was probably inevitable and it's true larger watches can be unweildy on some wrists, but I honestly believe the market for small watches as main pieces will be limited and it won't be too long till most are back in that 41-44mm sweet spot (with mid-size available for people who need that). People are simply larger in all dimensions today, while with technology everywhere, a watch is no longer a necessity but a statement, and few want that statement to be so small it gets lost on the wrist.

Anyway it appears Blancpain have avoided the temptation to go too small with this classic design. Good for them.

Finally, the fifty fathoms I've been waiting for!
    Will have to wait until they start appearing at a large discount but will definitely be buying one. Black Dial with bracelet plus the sail cloth should sort me out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Well the tiny originals were from a different age - 32mm? 34mm? - even the later 'Jumbo' was only 40mm. The big bezel design makes them all look even smaller. The original ones are pieces of a size that few average-sized blokes these days could carry off without looking a bit silly.

IMO the Genta-inspired design only came into its own in the 00s with the 42mm models and later. The 40mm may be an attempt at matching this moment's fashion but I believe it's a mistake. If the old ones weren't selling it was probably because too many naff intrusions from motorsport had got in to the designs over time.

Thankfully not all manufacturers are falling into the trap of miniaturising their watches. Some retreat from the previous 44mm and over trend of the last couple of decades was probably inevitable and it's true larger watches can be unweildy on some wrists, but I honestly believe the market for small watches as main pieces will be limited and it won't be too long till most are back in that 41-44mm sweet spot (with mid-size available for people who need that). People are simply larger in all dimensions today, while with technology everywhere, a watch is no longer a necessity but a statement, and few want that statement to be so small it gets lost on the wrist.

Anyway it appears Blancpain have avoided the temptation to go too small with this classic design. Good for them.

Yes, the originals - fantastic though they are, and I would love to have one - have not stood the test of aesthetic time that the Rolex Sub/SD have - so they have drifted into "Tribute to the FF".

Shame it is in titanium and shame it is such a ridiculous price for a 3 handed with date!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post

I was mostly referring to the real toolwatch status, basic movement and price.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Can someone help a brother out, what statement is it making and to whom is it aimed? Is it mute in effect if you´re wearing long sleeves ? Thanks.

Just an opinion, I think it´d look better without that kinda afterthought looking date.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st March 2024 at 16:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, the originals - fantastic though they are, and I would love to have one - have not stood the test of aesthetic time that the Rolex Sub/SD have - so they have drifted into "Tribute to the FF".
    Funnily enough I haven't been motivated to buy a Rolex since a 5513 in the early 00s ... too small, too rattly, and while rattly doesn't apply in the same way to the 16610, I still felt it was too small. For some reason the recent, larger Rolexes haven't quite grabbed me either, though maybe I just got out of the habit of paying attention to the brand with all the hoo-ha around availability and speculation. With that dying down maybe another look is in order.

The FF on the other hand is drifting into grail territory. I'll be watching carefully as to whether the new smaller one leads to some bargains on used 45mm (though now, post-retirement, it would require a few sales this end to justify) ... I once almost got the plastic out at Hong Kong airport, the deal was very tempting, but in the end I dithered too long and had to run to the gate. In part it was because it was on a sailcloth strap that was too short, and I was reluctant to spend that amount of money on a watch I would have had to wait weeks or even months to wear given how long it can take to order up OEM straps these days. Probably stupid of me as the stars never aligned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I was mostly referring to the real toolwatch status, basic movement and price.
    Yes indeed there is that too! New price is eye-watering for what it is.
    Last edited by kk; 21st March 2024 at 16:29.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Shame it is in titanium and shame it is such a ridiculous price for a 3 handed with date!
    I can't agree more regarding the price for a three handed watch.

It similar to Zenith's three handed Pilot at £7k in steel and £8.5k in ceramic. It doesn't make any sense, even with a non chronograph El Primero movement.

I'm placing an order on the blue 42mm on a sailcloth with deployant, and will probably add a bracelet in a few years.

For those interested in the 45mm, WOS has a great deal on this black version - £8,775 new!

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...52A/p/17480217

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    I'm placing an order on the blue 42mm on a sailcloth with deployant, and will probably add a bracelet in a few years.

For those interested in the 45mm, WOS has a great deal on this black version - £8,775 new!

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...52A/p/17480217
    That is a fantastic deal for the steel 45mm..... !!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Finally, the fifty fathoms I've been waiting for!
    Will have to wait until they start appearing at a large discount but will definitely be buying one. Black Dial with bracelet plus the sail cloth should sort me out nicely.

Almost exactly my thoughts, coincidentally currently wearing this which would probably have to go to afford it though... That 45mm seems a great price but just too large for me and I have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Almost exactly my thoughts, coincidentally currently wearing this which would probably have to go to afford it though... That 45mm seems a great price but just too large for me and I have tried it.

Not in the market for a Fifty Fathoms, but that Aqua Lung is probably my favourite Blancpain and one of my favourite watches in general. Perfect combination of sporty and dressy IMO. A quick look at Chrono24 seems to suggest prices have gone way up for these since last I looked some years ago.

Blog Entries
    Finally got to try these today and must say I think they are perfect.
    One for my wish list