closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Costco steaks

Master

Costco steaks

I was in Costco today and was looking at packs of six serloins which looked great value but were still £40 and most reviews of Costco steaks are from the USA has anyone here had them?

Tend to go with ribeye as the missus and I prefer the flavour and Sirloins have been hit and miss in terms of quality. At least in the Liverpool store anyway.

Marbling is key to ensuring a half decent cut. But the last set I did look at were more gristle than beef!

Out of interest the packs you did look at, did they contain 3 or 4 cuts?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Tend to go with ribeye as the missus and I prefer the flavour and Sirloins have been hit and miss in terms of quality. At least in the Liverpool store anyway.

Marbling is key to ensuring a half decent cut. But the last set I did look at were more gristle than beef!

Out of interest the packs you did look at, did they contain 3 or 4 cuts?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
    They contained 4 steaks and were 1.4 kilos and £42 ribeyes were about £10 more would have preferred to try1 first but they were in packs of 4 the fillet steaks looked nice

I find their steaks to be excellent - be they fillet, sirloin or rib-eye.

All UK reared, slaughtered and butchered.

All meat is expensive these days, but you get rack of lamb in costco which is half the price of similar in a butchers. I haven't been able to tell the difference.

I bought some braising steak in the Southampton store - which was in chunks rather than flats, and when home - Sous Vide'd for 48hrs and to all intents and purposes - created fillet-like consistency. It wasn't quite "right" for eating hot, but when chilled and sliced - was like sliced fillet in sammiches.

Craftsman
    I've had their Rib eye steaks.
    They're decent quality and worth a try.
    Compared to a steak I had on a recent holiday to Tenerife it wasn't in the same league and I suppose when you have that it's hard to replicate it at home.
    It's similar in quality to Waitrose and M&S.
    I've had some very good steak from Giffords in Leeds market.
    The tomahawk dry aged are really good.

I really like their steaks and Sirloin is my choice there, but I do think that they are quite expensive

So, I've started buying a Half Sirloin and cutting it into individual steaks myself. From memory last month the packs of steak were £29 per Kg,
    where as the Half Sirloin was only £22 per KG

Just an idea, it works for me

John

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I really like their steaks and Sirloin is my choice there, but I do think that they are quite expensive

So, I've started buying a Half Sirloin and cutting it into individual steaks myself. From memory last month the packs of steak were £29 per Kg,
    where as the Half Sirloin was only £22 per KG

Just an idea, it works for me

John
    I like the steaks very decent

I forget the name but there is a butcher on YouTube who did a series on picking up joints and cutting yourself. What to look for etc how to tell the good from the bad etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to get the Australian stuff there but got this ribeye recently which was very nice on the BBQ. It was my first time buying meat like this so I trimmed it too much but still ended up with 12 steaks and a small fillet for about £85.

Would definitely buy again

Blog Entries
    Morrrissons flat iron or denver steaks, excellent!

Master
    I buy their sirloins a lot, as cheaper vs my favourite online butcher & never had an issue. They have always been amazing, usually sous vide them and then sear on the egg.

Big fan of their cowboy steaks & tomahawks, reverse seared they are amazing and a great fun thing to serve visually.

Not had a bad bit of meat from Costco thinking about it, I’ve had more flavoursome beef, but like for like it has been 4 times the price, and that is where Costco get it right I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Morrrissons flat iron or denver steaks, excellent!
    Have you tried the bavette from Morrisons

It’s quality either slow cooked or rare as a steak I love it with some of my wife’s home made garlic butter.

Also from Morrisons the 1l of cream for a pound made into butter in the mixer and some home grown garlic really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a lot of steak from Costco and keep going back for more. I usually go for the ribeye and do check that the marbling is how I want it though. It's worth looking at a few packs to get exactly what you want.

I always get a large rib of beef for Christmas each year.

But - I need the vac-packed ones because I have to buy a few weeks before the 25th.

I was up at Costco (35m away) and noticed they were all cut into smaller sizes and on trays. Asked one of the butchers, who was extremely helpful - explaining that they got a new delivery of the full ribs first thing Monday morning. He then went on to give me the direct phone number for the department and that they were there from 8am. "I'll make a note to put a full 8kg rib aside, but you can phone up to check before leaving?"

Phoned up, they had remembered and I nipped up to collect it.

8.44kg, Aberdeen Angus, Dry aged, Extra mature Rib of Beef.

You don't expect that kind of service from a place like Costco.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I always get a large rib of beef for Christmas each year.

But - I need the vac-packed ones because I have to buy a few weeks before the 25th.

I was up at Costco (35m away) and noticed they were all cut into smaller sizes and on trays. Asked one of the butchers, who was extremely helpful - explaining that they got a new delivery of the full ribs first thing Monday morning. He then went on to give me the direct phone number for the department and that they were there from 8am. "I'll make a note to put a full 8kg rib aside, but you can phone up to check before leaving?"

Phoned up, they had remembered and I nipped up to collect it.

8.44kg, Aberdeen Angus, Dry aged, Extra mature Rib of Beef.

You don't expect that kind of service from a place like Costco.
    Their butchers really are accommodating I have found when, like you, I needed something specific and at a certain date.

We’ve never tried their beef at Christmas, usually default to Farmisons or John Davidson as find Costco (or their shoppers) hard going at the best of times let alone any time in December!

I do wish I’d vac packed the 2 cowboy steaks individually before freezing them. We are feeding 4 so both will be cooked, but it’s just a large solid lump of meat that’s awkward in the freezer.

You certainly went to town on that mate!

I always buy in bulk these days. Not from Costco mind you

Being an ex-butcher certainly helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have to get the Australian stuff there but got this ribeye recently which was very nice on the BBQ. It was my first time buying meat like this so I trimmed it too much but still ended up with 12 steaks and a small fillet for about £85.

Would definitely buy again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post

Being an ex-butcher certainly helps.
    I can see that being a huge technical advantage there Jon! Some lovely looking meat too.

Rarely buy steak but when I do it’s from the local butcher at , maybe £7-8 for a nice sirloin
    Even waitrose trimmed sirloin from the posh glass cabinet is about the same
    Not sure I’d be paying the same for Costco tbh

Master

Costco steaks

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Rarely buy steak but when I do it’s from the local butcher at , maybe £7-8 for a nice sirloin
    Even waitrose trimmed sirloin from the posh glass cabinet is about the same
    Not sure I’d be paying the same for Costco tbh
    As in you don’t rate the meat from Costco? I wouldn’t underestimate their quality tbh, much better than Waitrose in my experience.

This was a Costco tomahawk and could not fault it. Flavour easily up there with some posh stuff from John Davidson.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 24th March 2024 at 15:12.

Master
    I finally bought a pack of Costco Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks and had one last night it was very good indeed but when you work it out it’s not that much cheaper than the butchers