closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oxford and Cambridge admissions

Oxford and Cambridge admissions

Anyone know how they work ?

Son has got into Oxford , it would cost 40/50k, they don't tell you if you've got a scholarship until May June at which point you've missed the chance to accept elsewhere . Cambridge is 20/25k. Mad system , why not decide the scholarships before deadlines? Anyone know why they do this? We can afford Cambridge but not Oxford so it's ok, just a little bit strange

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Can't help, but congratulations to your son and your family. What's he going to study?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Can't help, but congratulations to your son and your family. What's he going to study?
    Law masters

Congratulations to your son! Unfortunately my knowledge is 30 years out of date, but have you tried talking to the teams at the individual colleges? They might be able to give you an indicator early?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Congratulations to your son! Unfortunately my knowledge is 30 years out of date, but have you tried talking to the teams at the individual colleges? They might be able to give you an indicator early?
    Yeah you'd think so, but they don't , they just say find funds elsewhere and hope for the best it's a mad system

Wow, that is profoundly unhelpful of them! I get a reasonable amount of guff from my old college and the university about supporting access, but it doesn't sound like there is a reality behind it. 'Can I afford it' is a pretty fundamental access question.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Wow, that is profoundly unhelpful of them! I get a reasonable amount of guff from my old college and the university about supporting access, but it doesn't sound like there is a reality behind it. 'Can I afford it' is a pretty fundamental access question.
    Yep, they just say find funding elsewhere and hope for the best

As above, my experiences are decades out of date now. I thought tuition fees were standard between universities at roughly £9k per year? Out of interest, what makes up such a big delta between Oxford and Cambridge?

Master
    I wonder why Oxford is twice price paid for Cam?

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I wonder why Oxford is twice price paid for Cam?

Because people will pay it , etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    As above, my experiences are decades out of date now. I thought tuition fees were standard between universities at roughly £9k per year? Out of interest, what makes up such a big delta between Oxford and Cambridge?
    masters degree so that doesn’t apply the difference is just the difference between brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    masters degree so that doesn’t apply the difference is just the difference between brands.
    Ah, hadn't realised, was assuming undergraduate, thanks. I had no idea that there would be such a cost discrepancy between the two.

Masters Degree so this is essentially a commercial enterprise on the part of the Uni and not comparable to the admissions process, criteria and costs for undergraduate degrees.

As such the bursary process is different and you're expected to have your funds in place already. It's like MBA programmes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Masters Degree so this is essentially a commercial enterprise on the part of the Uni and not comparable to the admissions process, criteria and costs for undergraduate degrees.

As such the bursary process is different and you're expected to have your funds in place already. It's like MBA programmes etc.
    Thanks Ryan

As someone who has been working in one of those two places for a long time, my suggestion is to assume there will be no funding.

I remember doing my Masters in Finance at Uni of Glasgow in 2001/02. Hardly Oxbridge but still a decent Uni. Only 5 grand...how times have changed.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Master
    I would have thought that as a "brand" that Oxford and Cambridge would rank fairly equally, thus expect roughly the same costs.
    I did a MSt in Cambridge around ten years ago, cost less than 15k IIRC. Maybe different being a part time course, over two academic years. But it was a total blast, fantastic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    As someone who has been working in one of those two places for a long time, my suggestion is to assume there will be no funding.
    Yes we are, Cambridge it is

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I would have thought that as a "brand" that Oxford and Cambridge would rank fairly equally, thus expect roughly the same costs.
    I did a MSt in Cambridge around ten years ago, cost less than 15k IIRC. Maybe different being a part time course, over two academic years. But it was a total blast, fantastic experience.

22k for law masters Cambridge, 40+ at Oxford

It makes sense now thanks for the replies

I'm skint again but hey ho

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    ..., they just say find funds elsewhere and hope for the best it's a mad system
    That is because the majority of the students are from rich and privileged families and the fees are pocket change ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That is because the majority of the students are from rich and privileged families and the fees are pocket change ...
    I wish that was the case, sold my MX5 woe is me

Comparatively still privileged of course

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish that was the case, sold my MX5 woe is me

Comparatively still privileged of course

Sorry, my comment wasn’t aimed at you. As you are asking the question I assume you are not in that category.

My second job out of uni was with a start up with just 50 staff. I was the only non-Oxbridge graduate in the whole company. It was an eye opener into a world I never knew as a comprehensive schooled oik.

Hopefully there is more social balance at those universities now.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Sorry, my comment wasn’t aimed at you. As you are asking the question I assume you are not in that category.

My second job out of uni was with a start up with just 50 staff. I was the only non-Oxbridge graduate in the whole company. It was an eye opener into a world I never knew as a comprehensive schooled oik.

Hopefully there is more social balance at those universities now.
    Yeah it's also difficult to go somehow surrounded by money , at least for him it's only a year

Is there such a thing as government funding you could apply for in Englandland?

My missus recently did a masters here and got £7k of the £9k fees paid by SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland).

Oh, and kudos to your boy!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Is there such a thing as government funding you could apply for in Englandland?

My missus recently did a masters here and got £7k of the £9k fees paid by SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland).

Oh, and kudos to your boy!
    No, diddly

Just to be clear he gets 12500 added to his loan so help of sorts , his choice to go somewhere that charges 22k though

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations to your son,I agree its not a good system.

When my brother applied he was far brighter than most others applying (far more than myself of course) but not accepted as he was working class.
    He went to Nottingham instead,good times when I visited him on leave.

Cambridge if you want to be a spy.

Oxford if you want to follow in the steps of Cameroon and Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...llying-culture

Just worth checking that his choice of ultimate career will value the LLM over the LLB? Haven’t necessarily seen that in practice; different of course if planning to teach/research.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Congratulations to your son,I agree its not a good system.

When my brother applied he was far brighter than most others applying (far more than myself of course) but not accepted as he was working class.
    He went to Nottingham instead,good times when I visited him on leave.

Cambridge if you want to be a spy.

Oxford if you want to follow in the steps of Cameroon and Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...llying-culture
    Sir John Sawers was Nottingham ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Just worth checking that his choice of ultimate career will value the LLM over the LLB? Haven’t necessarily seen that in practice; different of course if planning to teach/research.
    He wants to be a solicitor not bar so doesn't really make any difference I don't think

He wants to be a solicitor not bar so doesn't really make any difference I don't think

The main difference would be a couple of years behind his peers on entry and a bit more debt….

The main difference would be a couple of years behind his peers on entry and a bit more debt….
    Probably, he wants to go though

Probably, he wants to go though

Tell him to find his own cash then and get yourself another MX5.

I don’t mean to be (too) facetious, but a lot of post grad education for professions is neither required for nor particularly valued by said professions and I’d question the economic case.

A lot of magic circle application processes seem now actively to look away from the candidates of means (which an oxbridge masters signifies) in favour of those with demonstrable tenacity in their story.

Has he asked his employer of choice what value they place on the course with funding from BoM&D?

Tell him to find his own cash then and get yourself another MX5.

I don’t mean to be (too) facetious, but a lot of post grad education for professions is neither required for nor particularly valued by said professions and I’d question the economic case.

A lot of magic circle application processes seem now actively to look away from the candidates of means (which an oxbridge masters signifies) in favour of those with demonstrable tenacity in their story.

Has he asked his employer of choice what value they place on the course with funding from BoM&D?
    His story has tenacity, and adversity , his got some marks in that regard

His story has tenacity, and adversity , his got some marks in that regard

Good for him then, and all best wishes for the course and future 👍