closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budget compact digital camera?

Master

Budget compact digital camera?

My 13 y/o daughter is wanting to buy herself a compact camera and has around £80 to spend on a used model. I've no idea about camera's really but have done a bit of reading and it seems a Sony Cybershot of some type might be what she's after? She has an eye for photography and uses her iphone 15 pro but she's after a cheap compact with a bit of zoom.

Anybody any ideas what we should be looking at?

Cheers all.

I think anyone used to an iPhone 15 Pro is going to be disappointed with an £80 camera to be honest.

Master
    If she is after a bit of zoom then have a look at (the aptly named) Panasonic TZ series. I had one of the early ones and it was pretty good.

She might be a little disappointed with image quality when compared to her phone so it will be worth doing research on review sites. There are some gems to be had but also a lot of dross.

Panasonic LX3, but any one in nice condition is about $150US. Retail in Canadian when I bought was $500 and I'm still using it

Canon Powershot models

Disposable film camera - requires one to take their time and compose. Think before shooting off a 1000 images.

I'd give you my little CASIO EXILIM EX-Z3, but cradle might cause the s/h price to rise from Canada

Will need an adaptor for the voltage difference

Let me know and will check PO pricing from Canada to the UK once I go through everything to make sure all is there

Camera is like new.

DON

Master
    I should have mentioned that we spoke about image quality compared to her 15 pro and she said she wants a camera that isn't as good as her phone.....she then proceeded to show me some lower resolution pictures on some social media site and said this is what she's after. Supposedly it's the in thing at the moment, go figure!
    Thanks very much for the offer to post from Canada but I think I'll have a look into the Panasonic TZ range.

Cheers all.

a used Sony RX100 is the only compact camera I would bother with

DSC-P5

This is about twenty years old and was last used about 8 years ago, originally the whole kit was about £600, we used it mostly for diving though only down to about 20 metres, will need a battery as the current ones no longer hold charge, complete with charger, nylon case and underwater housing, not tested so a bit of a gamble on your part but £20.00 into the TZ fund and I'll cover the postage.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    If she is after a bit of zoom then have a look at (the aptly named) Panasonic TZ series. I had one of the early ones and it was pretty good.

She might be a little disappointed with image quality when compared to her phone so it will be worth doing research on review sites. There are some gems to be had but also a lot of dross.

I would second the Panasonic TZ range. I used them extensively during a 10yr period of self-employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I should have mentioned that we spoke about image quality compared to her 15 pro and she said she wants a camera that isn't as good as her phone.....she then proceeded to show me some lower resolution pictures on some social media site and said this is what she's after. Supposedly it's the in thing at the moment, go figure!
    Isn't that where Instagram started?

I seem to remember a meme that said "Instagram - The app to make your hi-res photos look like they were taken on a cheap instamatic from the 1960s!" or something similar.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I bought one of these from here, with a waterproof housing some years ago and it takes great photos (on land and underwater).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126370449...Bk9SR7jBz5rIYw

You will probably need to hunt around to find one in budget, but it might fit the bill.

Very happy with mine still!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    a used Sony RX100 is the only compact camera I would bother with
    Agreed - I've had an RX100 III for several years and it's a fabulous little thing. Secondhand it's £200-300 but immeasurably better than most compact cameras and to my mind worth the money. All depends on how much image quality and manual control you want.

Bought my 23 year old iPhone 15 pro toting son a Polaroid instamatic for Xmas as a novelty gift and he loves it. Mind you he also has what he describes as a ‘modern mullet’ haircut - he and his generation seem intent on recreating all the worst bits of the recent past even though they have access to far superior kit (and haircuts)?! - I’m not sure if it’s irony or they’re all a bit peculiar!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Bought my 23 year old iPhone 15 pro toting son a Polaroid instamatic for Xmas as a novelty gift and he loves it. Mind you he also has what he describes as a ‘modern mullet’ haircut - he and his generation seem intent on recreating all the worst bits of the recent past even though they have access to far superior kit (and haircuts)?! - I’m not sure if it’s irony or they’re all a bit peculiar!
    Hmmm, whilst we get all dewy eyed over mechanical watches and vinyl hi fi systems...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Well, vinyl sounds better, mechanical watches are great but becoming too expensive. The mullet however…….

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, vinyl sounds better, mechanical watches are great but becoming too expensive. The mullet however…….
    and Polaroids always took crap photos...

Oddly, I have a Polaroid TV in a spare room - It's fine (for a cheap TV), though.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 13 y/o daughter is wanting to buy herself a compact camera and has around £80 to spend on a used model. I've no idea about camera's really but have done a bit of reading and it seems a Sony Cybershot of some type might be what she's after? She has an eye for photography and uses her iphone 15 pro but she's after a cheap compact with a bit of zoom.

Anybody any ideas what we should be looking at?

Cheers all.
    If your daughter would like the Canon Powershot in my SC post here then its FOC with my best wishes.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Canon-Sony-etc

Craftsman
    I’ve got a Panasonic TZ19 (aka TZ20) that been gathering dust for 5+ years. 16x optical zoom, 24-380mm lens (35mm equiv.) and 14 M pixels. Working fine and in very good condition. Just trying to charge the battery as I write this.

You can have it in return for a donation of your choice to the fundraiser.

I’ll post it I RM, however, I can only post it tomorrow morning after which I’m away and out of the country for a week.

Master
    Big thanks for all the replies and for all the offers, much appreciated. I've decided to go for the Panasonic TZ70. I'll add a bit of cash to her funds and source one from the usual giant online market place. Again, thanks for the help👍

Master
    That’s interesting. I’m always amazed at the quality of images I took years ago with early Fuji digital cameras probably 1 or 2 MP.

I think your daughter may be disappointed (!) just how good the TZ70 is!!