closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: True Dome recommendations - South East

True Dome recommendations - South East

I’m thinking of getting a True Dome and wondered if anyone has one installed or has a recommendation in London/South East.

I contacted Steven Hale who would do it as part of a service which is cost prohibitive so I’m looking to see if there are alternatives

Duncan (aka TheWatchBloke) of this parish fitted one to my Snowflake.

It was part of a service but I’m sure he’d do it as a crystal change only. Worth dropping him a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought one and fitted it myself. Cracked it, duh.
    Just a warning, don’t attempt it unless you have the correct die.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’m thinking of getting a True Dome and wondered if anyone has one installed or has a recommendation in London/South East.

I contacted Steven Hale who would do it as part of a service which is cost prohibitive so I’m looking to see if there are alternatives
    Try Mike Young’s crystals t39/t19 fraction of the price of a true dome and every bit as good

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Try Mike Young’s crystals t39/t19 fraction of the price of a true dome and every bit as good
    Do you have a link? I have also been thinking about replacing the one on my 7016

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Do you have a link? I have also been thinking about replacing the one on my 7016
    http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/crystal
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Cheers for that

Thanks for that. Looks like Mike is better value on the replacement but shipping is twice the price so there isn’t as much in it as I’d thought.

Including international delivery but excluding import the Mike Young replacements are £196 the 5513 and the 1665.

True Dome is 1665 £224 for the 5513 and £263 for the 1665.

Duncan has fantastic reviews but Reading is a bit far. I’ll see if I can hunt someone down a bit closer before I bite the bullet but I do want the service crystal on the 1665 swapped.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that. Looks like Mike is better value on the replacement but shipping is twice the price so there isn’t as much in it as I’d thought.

Including international delivery but excluding import the Mike Young replacements are £196 the 5513 and the 1665.

True Dome is 1665 £224 for the 5513 and £263 for the 1665.

Duncan has fantastic reviews but Reading is a bit far. I’ll see if I can hunt someone down a bit closer before I bite the bullet but I do want the service crystal on the 1665 swapped.
    Apologies haven’t bought these for years used to be about £50 landed in the uk Mike was doing these before true dome even existed I’d look for original t-19 and t-39 superdomes they are about and yes they are more money but you can’t beat the original it’s not as though you are putting it on a cheap watch

If they are the same price, I advise the trudome. My understanding is it’s more accurate to the original.
    I have had both and personally can’t tell the difference but i know a man who can.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Bought one and fitted it myself. Cracked it, duh.
    Just a warning, don’t attempt it unless you have the correct die.
    Machined myself a die purely for this reason.
    Hardest part is getting off stubborn retaining rings.

Master
    Lots of information on the True Dome/True Patina Instagram and YouTube. I’ve spoken to Greg P via IG and he was more than happy to offer advice and answer technical questions.

I purchased a True Dome as I wanted the best quality and also a crystal that looks identical to the Rolex ones. I think the True Domes are even made using the same manufacturing process as the Rolex ones were.

From what I’ve seen of other aftermarket crystals, they distort the dial markers, don’t have the same profile as the Rolex versions etc.

Also, yes, price always comes into things but is cheaper always better when it comes to something that is supposed to keep your watch waterproof?!

I was very happy with the end result and would not hesitate to buy another one.

I think the most important thing is finding someone who has the experience and the correct tools. On his YouTube, Greg makes it look extremely straightforward to swap the crystals but does reiterate that the correct tools are crucial.

Had one fitted to my 5513 by Jed (jedly1) from this parish a number of years ago - transformed the watch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Machined myself a die purely for this reason.
    Hardest part is getting off stubborn retaining rings.
    The relationship between the crystal, retaining ring and case is super important

Master
    Welcome to the pita that is vintage Willey
    Crystals not quite right,hands not matching,bezel insert not right,etc.
    Worth it though

True Dome recommendations - South East

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Welcome to the pita that is vintage Willey
    Crystals not quite right,hands not matching,bezel insert not right,etc.
    Worth it though
    PITA is right. Buying this stuff requires a self funded and self taught PhD and the mistakes cost serious money.

That is a lovely watch.

PITA is right. Buying this stuff requires a self funded and self taught PhD and the mistakes cost serious money.

That is a lovely watch.

I recognise that original owner 1665 mk1 short ft which I sold you many moons ago :) over a few beers and you got the Last train home in the pissing rain :)

Full original sans the pearl which dissolved in hot water cleaning the gunk outta the bezel I recall lol

Yes it's as good in the flesh as it is in the pics

That aint nothing compared to the 5513 he got off me a few yrs later

Wait till he shows u that one
    Last edited by alanski; 19th March 2024 at 14:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post
    I recognise that original owner 1665 mk1 short ft which I sold you many moons ago :) over a few beers and you got the Last train home in the pissing rain :)

Full original sans the pearl which dissolved in hot water cleaning the gunk outta the bezel I recall lol

Yes it's as good in the flesh as it is in the pics
    Certainly is Al
    Wore it as a daily for about a year
    Cracking watch.