timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Rumours

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Solid gold Explorer and it's going to be great
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    A white gold explorer could be an exit watch for many including me.
    Potentially the hottest watch of the year if they did it, but I have a horrible feeling they’d give it polished centre links, instantly blowing its cool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Potentially the hottest watch of the year if they did it, but I have a horrible feeling they’d give it polished centre links, instantly blowing its cool.
    I was thinking the same thing re polished centre links.

White or yellow gold? I’d personally prefer white gold so it’s more understated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Ti Submariner never happens . Can’t bear the thought of going on their stupid lists

Master
    A titanium Submariner wouldn't win friends around here.

Tit. watches always feel so insubstantial.

Which will finish first : De Leyser, the Geneva Heritage Disservice or the Certified Price Overload scheme ?

A white gold version would surely have a different face colour to distinguish it from the poorer stainless relation. A dark navy or even dark green would be fantastic.

Can’t see a Ti sub with how recently the YM Was launched. To give an idea the Ti YM is incredibly limited with the same numbers/allocation system as the recent WG Daytona limited edition so you wouldn’t do that and then slap out a Ti Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    A titanium Submariner wouldn't win friends around here.

Tit. watches always feel so insubstantial.

Which will finish first : De Leyser, the Geneva Heritage Disservice or the Certified Price Overload scheme ?

Master
    A white gold version would surely have a different face colour to distinguish it from the poorer stainless relation. A dark navy or even dark green would be fantastic.
    White Gold with Navy Blue dial a la GMT in WG. Dark Green on YG perhaps.

Master
    The trouble is, the Explorer is an odd one out, not too high up in the range, but in danger of upstaging some of their more expensive watches by being cool, understated, and rugged. Perhaps that’s why they’re keeping it rather small (or previously slightly oversized), in 37-38mm it would be a giant killer. Make it in gold, and you have a rugged Explorer which isn’t particularly rugged, but starts to upstage day-dates. How do you price it? Probably for the same reason, you won’t see a gold Oyster Perpetual any time soon, though they have made them in the past, it would be far too appealing for its price. Someone might notice that the cheaper entry level models are some of their best looking watches.

That said, I hope they do it!

The trouble is, the Explorer is an odd one out, not too high up in the range, but in danger of upstaging some of their more expensive watches by being cool, understated, and rugged. Perhaps that’s why they’re keeping it rather small (or previously slightly oversized), in 37-38mm it would be a giant killer. Make it in gold, and you have a rugged Explorer which isn’t particularly rugged, but starts to upstage day-dates. How do you price it? Probably for the same reason, you won’t see a gold Oyster Perpetual any time soon, though they have made them in the past, it would be far too appealing for its price. Someone might notice that the cheaper entry level models are some of their best looking watches.

That said, I hope they do it!
    Explorer 40 is actually 38.5mm. Measured across the bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I had no idea - they successfully put me off by calling it a 40, given that the 39 already wore too large me, I’d forgotten it even existed! So it seems the older 39 was actually 38.3mm and the 40 is 38.6mm. Typical Rolex naming, though it correctly suggests they wear a bit larger, while the 36 is really less than 36 and wears that way. Inevitably the idea model for me would still be somewhere between the two.

In gold though, if it ever came to pass, I can imagine the smaller size working well and being a bit more subtle.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 14th March 2024 at 20:33.

I had no idea - they successfully put me off by calling it a 40, given that the 39 already wore too large me, I’d forgotten it even existed! So the 40 is actually slightly smaller and potentially more wearable than the 39? Typically Rolex naming.

In gold though, if it ever came to pass, I can imagine the smaller size working well and being a bit more subtle.
    It is very comfortable. And great proportions with the 21mm bracelet. Shame about low amplitudes inside.

I'd like to see them come out with a new model. The current range is a bit generic and dare I say, dull. So a new model would be interesting.

On the other hand if they did a homage to a heritage model, so a reproduction of the original Submariner (much like Seiko have been doing with the 62MAS) then I'd be super interested in that.

Master
    It is very comfortable. And great proportions with the 21mm bracelet. Shame about low amplitudes inside.
    One prediction might be that they very quietly tweak those movements, perhaps mentioning that they are now even more amazing, without changing the number or suggesting there was any need to change them.

Same with the OP41. Thankfully it's only 39.1mm.

- - - Updated - - -

I had no idea - they successfully put me off by calling it a 40, given that the 39 already wore too large me, I’d forgotten it even existed! So it seems the older 39 was actually 38.3mm and the 40 is 38.6mm. Typical Rolex naming, though it correctly suggests they wear a bit larger, while the 36 is really less than 36 and wears that way. Inevitably the idea model for me would still be somewhere between the two.

I’m pretty sure that the 36mm is true to size.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The crystal and dial size is big which gives it the appearance of being larger.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Explorer 36 is actually 35mm in diameter from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The crystal and dial size is big which gives it the appearance of being larger.
    Yeah but if the case was actually 41mm it'd look huge. As it is the OP41 is an OK size for a sporty everyday watch imo.

Explorer 36 is actually 35mm in diameter from what I have read.
    Never seen that anywhere. Source?

The DJ41, of course, 39.8mm (or is it 39.5 mm)?

Obviously biased, but I maintain the 214270 mk2 is peak modern Rolex. Maybe they should just re-release that. In gold. Boom.

Just under 35 actually.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Obviously biased, but I maintain the 214270 mk2 is peak modern Rolex. Maybe they should just re-release that. In gold. Boom.
    Yep, such a versatile and tasteful watch.

Just under 35 actually.
    Again, I have literally never seen that anywhere, and I do get around a bit. Do you have a source please?

Again, I have literally never seen that anywhere, and I do get around a bit. Do you have a source please?
    https://youtu.be/QcEPFVNzcJg?si=Sc_M2uywMlktpqRH

5m 23s if you want to go directly to the measurements.

I have bought and sold about three of those. When they used to sell. Will look for the callipers photo, but 35mm max.

https://youtu.be/QcEPFVNzcJg?si=Sc_M2uywMlktpqRH

5m 23s if you want to go directly to the measurements.
    Thanks. Never heard of this bloke before so I ‘ll need to do a bit more research before accepting that. If it widely accepted on TRF it would be a different matter.

Grand Master
    Apologies in advance for appearing curt but what good is an adventure watch in soft metal?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Apologies in advance for appearing curt but what good is an adventure watch in soft metal?
    What's the point of an adventure watch in steel? What's the point of an adventure watch with a mechanical movement? What's the point of an adventure watch that doesn't have a built in compass, GPS, solar, health sensors, safety features?

Let's not ask too many questions

Master
    Thanks. Never heard of this bloke before so I ‘ll need to do a bit more research before accepting that. If it widely accepted on TRF it would be a different matter.
    Reports from some owners with calipers suggest the current 36 model is around 35.5mm, which is also reported here (though they clearly didn’t measure the 40). There’s a photo on TRF where they manage to make it >36mm (just google ‘Rolex explorer 36 calipers’) but you can clearly see they’ve cheated by including some of the case. I don’t know if earlier version were any larger but some classic models do look a bit more substantial to me. When I tried the current one I felt it was noticeably smaller than my 36mm DJ 16000, perhaps accentuated by the tapering bracelet. I can only assume my ideal version would be somewhere in between the so called 36 and 40.

About as much use as a diving watch worn to the office, I’d imagine. It would work visually though, and perhaps they could use an unusually tough alloy, eg platinum & gold?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 15th March 2024 at 10:22.

My thought also. I think it pays to disconnect ones critical faculties, logic, in relation to these things AND accept the ''marketing'' at face value.

That 36 is tiny at 35 x 43, looks positively dinky in the comparison shots...

Wouldn't walking out in a gold Explorer be a bit like wearing a t shirt saying mug me? The double whammy of recognisable watch and the price of gold being what it is...just a thought.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th March 2024 at 10:41.

Craftsman
    If it helps anybody I measured my 39 Exp. (214270) at 38.4mm across the bezel and my 36 Exp. (124270) at 35mm across the bezel

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    If it helps anybody I measured my 39 Exp. (214270) at 38.4mm across the bezel and my 36 Exp. (124270) at 35mm across the bezel

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Saves me doing it, exact same references in my collection. Thanks

Reports from some owners with calipers suggest the current 36 model is around 35.5mm, which is also reported here (though they clearly didn’t measure the 40). There’s a photo on TRF where they manage to make it >36mm (just google ‘Rolex explorer 36 calipers’) but you can clearly see they’ve cheated by including some of the case. I don’t know if earlier version were any larger but some classic models do look a bit more substantial to me. When I tried the current one I felt it was noticeably smaller than my 36mm DJ 16000, perhaps accentuated by the tapering bracelet. I can only assume my ideal version would be somewhere in between the so called 36 and 40.

About as much use as a diving watch worn to the office, I’d imagine. It would work visually though, and perhaps they could use an unusually tough alloy, eg platinum & gold?
    Ah, thank you. That - and the narrower lugs and bracelet - would indeed explain why it feels relatively "delicate" for a 36mm case size.

Ah, thank you. That - and the narrower lugs and bracelet - would indeed explain why it feels relatively "delicate" for a 36mm case size.
    Quite

The 21mm bracelet on the 40 is in great proportion - 38.5 / 21

Master
    My 114270 measures dead on 36 mm with the vernier.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    My 114270 measures dead on 36 mm with the vernier.
    That reference certainly feels bigger than the current 36mm Explorer. The 20mm bracelet helps.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I predict that on April 9th the phone will be on the go all day with "can you get me the new.."
    (No, not until September at least)

I wonder how the list is full before anything is announced?

Master
    I wonder how the list is full before anything is announced?
    That’s the secret of the list - there isnt a list!