closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-line privacy .. .Where’s Wally ....

Master
    Blog Entries

On-line privacy .. .Where’s Wally ....

I have seen some interesting posts about how much we are/maybe giving away posting photos on a SC topic ...

I am fairly loose with my on-line privacy and suspect I can be found quite easily.

So here is a challenge.

Can you find my home address from this post alone? (I think I have turned off GPS tagging on my phone but I'm no expert)

The first person to PM me my address and I will make a £25 donation to the fundraiser in their name ...

Please do not post my address in this thread ...

Note this is a game so please don’t disclose any info you may find on this thread.

Last edited by Montello; 12th March 2024 at 20:47.

Master
    Interesting topic. So: strictly speaking, from your initial post in this thread alone, there isn't enough information for someone to track down your address.

Someone with administrator privileges on this site could see your IP address, and maybe narrow down your location a bit but not to a street number unless they also had access to customer details at your ISP.

The metadata on the image you posted claims that you took it on an iPhone 11 at 3:53pm on the 8th December 2022, but no location information is recorded.

So although I'm not into online stalking myself and wouldn't bother, the next step would be to trawl through your other posts on the site and look for clues, or to search for your username in other corners of the WWW.

Master
    Tapatalk strips out even more metadata, including the device type.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure my IP address would only lead you as far as my ISP ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    ... or to search for your username in other corners of the WWW.
    I think, mainly by accident, my username is generic enough to not give clues. A username like DaveT45634 (for example) if reused would be easy to trace, as would other obscure strings.

If TV has taught me anything it’s that I can zoom in on the reflection in the watch face and see through your window and see that you live exactly next door to your neighbours.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

If you are a company owner/director most information is available online

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If TV has taught me anything it’s that I can zoom in on the reflection in the watch face and see through your window and see that you live exactly next door to your neighbours.
    Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop. Move in, stop. Pull out, track right, stop. Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop. Enhance 34 to 36. Pan right and pull back. Stop. Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop. Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23. Give me a hard copy right there.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop. Move in, stop. Pull out, track right, stop. Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop. Enhance 34 to 36. Pan right and pull back. Stop. Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop. Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23. Give me a hard copy right there.
    I used to program BigTrak just like that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

Aye, companies house give out a lot but you need a name for that ... and then there are many people who share the same name.

If I put my name into companies house it returns 203,907 matches ...

Showing your age there. Great film.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One incorrect guess so far ... how about if I also allow you to use any other post I have made ...

I gave it a go and from a quick look I know what you do, what industry you worked in before, the area of the county in which you live, where you went to university (I'm guessing it was university based on your approximate age and when you were there), what car you have, how your drive is probably paved and that you like cycling. I don't know if it's possible to work out more using that information (Linkedin, Facebook) and I didn't actually read your posts or even look at more than 50% of them but I'm not that desperate to find you!
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Aye, companies house give out a lot but you need a name for that ... and then there are many people who share the same name.

True, if your name is John Smith, unfortunately my name isn't very common

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having a “common” name is a benefit for privacy.

Although you do first need to work out someone’s name to do the search.

Actually I had another quick look and your eBay name and location threw up a few extra options.

How's your Chadwick belt coming on? I have a nice old brass buckle I want to find a belt for but it's been a nightmare finding one. I see Chadwick do exactly what I need and I'm about to message them to see if they'll sell the belt without the buckle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Actually I had another quick look and your eBay name and location threw up a few extra options.

How's your Chadwick belt coming on? I have a nice old brass buckle I want to find a belt for but it's been a nightmare finding one. I see Chadwick do exactly what I need and I'm about to message them to see if they'll sell the belt without the buckle.
    Very pleased with my Chadwick belt … recommend 👍

I am not sure you will connect to me via eBay… maybe dunno.

You live on Earth.

Master
    I'm pretty sure my IP address would only lead you as far as my ISP ...
    If you go here here https://www.iplocation.net/

.. it will probably get your location right to within a few miles (based on your IP address).
    Last edited by monogroover; 12th March 2024 at 20:29.

You live on Earth.
    Cant say that for everyone on here

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    If you go here here https://www.iplocation.net/

.. it will probably get your location right to within a few miles (based on your IP address).
    Just tried that and it’s 7 miles away. That’s only an option for the site owner though.

I’m still under the radar👍

I know in the past - I have 'snipped' an original photo before saving that, to post on line. Can't remember specific instances but probably on Facebook where it has something to do with my location.

You live on Earth.
    You are The Mind Mangler and I claim my £5

Master
    We live in strange and dangerous times. I'm pretty hard to find. Members on here have visited and corresponded but only my previous location. Many years ago I worked as a private investigator, even then, before the internet, people weren't generally that hard to find. Much easier now, people give out too much info, hence the plague of scamming.
    All I can say for me and mine these days is if you come to visit me with bad intention don't bring a knife lol

Is that still the case? I understand that company directors can now use a company's registered address or nominee address instead of their own on the Companies House site so as to maintain a degree of privacy.

OP - I am hopeless at sleuthing and have no idea what this location stamp thing is on one's photos :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Is that still the case? I understand that company directors can now use a company's registered address or nominee address instead of their own on the Companies House site so as to maintain a degree of privacy.

OP - I am hopeless at sleuthing and have no idea what this location stamp thing is on one's photos :shrug:
    I'm still showing 9 appointments, if someone knows my name I would be very easy to find

Master
    I'm still showing 9 appointments, if someone knows my name I would be very easy to find
    But not if you took the opportunity to use your accountant’s address as your registered one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

If I put my name in it comes up with just me!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    If I put my name in it comes up with just me!
    I guess it depends on how unique your name is. If you put in John Smith you will find many.

Your name and company (both past and present) are findable. But after cross-reference none of them have been registered to your current home address, so that's OK. It does lead to your accountant firm (GM), business associate (KB), legal exec (KI) etc, so I guess someone determined might try to spoof their way to an address through one of those avenues, but not easy. I'm not sure whether further info is available behind a paywall (e.g. 192.com). There's also some distinct scenery across the road from your house, so posting the right pic and crowdsourcing 'anyone recognise these hills' might just work, once you have the landmark you're home has distinctive features so would be easy to find on street view. It seems across your phone and Canon cameras (past and present) you've always had location metadata off, it's also possible that postImg has given you a helping hand on that one as image hosts tend to remove location data when uploading (handy).

p.s. don't forget your MOT is due end of the month.
    Last edited by M1011; 13th March 2024 at 02:12.

The first person to PM me my address and I will make a £25 donation to the fundraiser in their name ...
    It is not the photo of the watch that will out you, but the biscuit crumbs you have left over your 5649 posts that may be stitched together, if someone has the tenacity and patience to read and cross reference.

Put it this way, I wouldn’t go as far as putting up a photo of your back garden.

Anyone in particular you have in mind as a favourite to solve it, lol?

The Plasterers Forum appears to have more fruitcakes on it than this place, which is going some.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    292,000 for me and even I found it hard to find me. Just as well really as when I joined the forum didn’t enter my head to use anything fun or cryptic as a username!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    Just as well really as when I joined the forum it didn’t enter my head to use anything fun or cryptic as a username!

Same here....
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Plasterers Forum appears to have more fruitcakes on it than this place, which is going some.
    That’s a good find, my time there was interesting.

I will be tidying that footprint up now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Your name and company (both past and present) are findable. But after cross-reference none of them have been registered to your current home address, so that's OK. It does lead to your accountant firm (GM), business associate (KB), legal exec (KI) etc, so I guess someone determined might try to spoof their way to an address through one of those avenues, but not easy. I'm not sure whether further info is available behind a paywall (e.g. 192.com). There's also some distinct scenery across the road from your house, so posting the right pic and crowdsourcing 'anyone recognise these hills' might just work, once you have the landmark you're home has distinctive features so would be easy to find on street view. It seems across your phone and Canon cameras (past and present) you've always had location metadata off, it's also possible that postImg has given you a helping hand on that one as image hosts tend to remove location data when uploading (handy).

p.s. don't forget your MOT is due end of the month.

I think you are on the wrong trail as I don’t recognise those initials.

Although you are correct on the MoT. It’s in hand. 👍

I assume I have given away my reg. if you could please pm a link I will tidy that up.

I think you are on the wrong trail as I don’t recognise those initials.

Although you are correct on the MoT. It’s in hand. 

I assume I have given away my reg. if you could please pm a link I will tidy that up.
    Ah well I stuffed that up didn't I! I should have left it to the pros. You have a similar looking namesake involved in medical insurance.

I'll PM on the reg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'll PM on the reg.
    Thanks, I have taken that down now ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok ... the game is over. M1011 has found me from information I freely put up on this forum, which I have now removed.

I will make a £25 fundraiser donation ...

This has been a useful exercise and I have deleted some content and I am shutting down some abandoned accounts that leave a trail ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Donation made ... https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/eddie-platts2

Looks like another place TZers give there actual name away ...

Donation made ... https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/eddie-platts2

Looks like another place TZers give there actual name away ...
    Wait until you see the Strava groups. Frightening.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just looked, I am not in that but again that combined with postings here would give a lot away ...

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Weren’t there a number of American military bases that were being mapped inadvertantly by folks recording their jogs on strava? Some erstwhile secret ones too IIRC…..

And thanks to the OP I now have what looks like a very nice belt on order!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    And thanks to the OP I now have what looks like a very nice belt on order!
    You won't be disappointed with that ...

Ok ... the game is over. M1011 has found me from information I freely put up on this forum, which I have now removed.
    Well done M1011, I hope you enjoy the IWC.

That was the prize, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    Weren’t there a number of American military bases that were being mapped inadvertantly by folks recording their jogs on strava? Some erstwhile secret ones too IIRC…..

Yes, from what I remember someone via a rogue account made a load of named routes around known military bases and then followed the users who had unwittingly clocked up PR attempts around the world uncovering unknown military basis. Pretty smart.

Joking aside, I think that you have created a very worthwhile demonstration of what can be achieved without any particularly specialised skills other than time, intelligence and access to freely available online tools. Geolocation is remarkably easy these days as demonstrated in the 'Guess Where' thread, and a sophisticated threat actor could probably crack someone's details in minutes when there are large quantities of personal information and images posted across the public domain.

Deleting posts will obviously make it much, much harder to identify details in the future, although technically the data will forever live on in host server backups and the hard drives of someone maintaining a history cache of internet pages but we're not talking Joe Public. Once it's out there, it's out there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Joking aside, I think that you have created a very worthwhile demonstration of what can be achieved without any particularly specialised skills other than time, intelligence and access to freely available online tools. Geolocation is remarkably easy these days as demonstrated in the 'Guess Where' thread, and a sophisticated threat actor could probably crack someone's details in minutes when there are large quantities of personal information and images posted across the public domain.

Deleting posts will obviously make it much, much harder to identify details in the future, although technically the data will forever live on in host server backups and the hard drives of someone maintaining a history cache of internet pages but we're not talking Joe Public. Once it's out there, it's out there.
    If you know my name, email address or mobile you can find where I live in 30s but just off my postings it’s a lot harder and now I have removed the posts that gave the clues I suspect I’m pretty safe.

Just makes you think a bit more about privacy.