closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduce Vehicle Tax for cars aged between 20 and 40 years old

Master
    “Tax more heavily those vehicles I don’t like or don’t own” won’t make for a sensible and joined up roads policy.

It’s been mentioned, but building and maintaining them properly in the first place would be a good start.

Providing viable transport alternatives is another thing we could be doing, but for whatever reason don’t, maybe because it requires investment rather than revenue.

My "back of a fag packet" calculations are on post #17.
    The situation for an average one vehicle owner/driver doing 12k per year at 50mpg = £240 gallon.
    A nominal £240 road tax can be re-couped at 22.5p / litre fuel duty (assuming one pound divided by 4.45 litres per gallon)

Unfortunately, I know a few low pay care workers who do well over 12k per year as part of their contract to use personal transport to travel between clients, and pay for their own fuel costs (with a mileage allowance).
    An increase in fuel duty would take a very large percentage of minimum wage care workers off the streets.

For all those mentioning a fuel duty... I hate to break it to you but it already exists, at just under 60p per litre. As you can see it does the square root of effe all for the state of our roads.

Furthermore I believe it is not possible to assign a specific use to a tax, so it goes in the big pot and is therefore always used for something the government of the time think is more urgent.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.