closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega SMP 2254 or CWC auto

Master

Omega SMP 2254 or CWC auto

I’d like to get an automatic diver and I’m leaning towards a 2254. I love the swords hand and the big triangles. But I’m also tempted by a CWC automatic diver. I had the 2012 version but didn’t want to do the work to improve the lume. I really like the 1980 reissue but I think I get more for my money with the Omega. I’ll probably sell my Omega Dynamic and my 83 reissue to keep my small collection in check so the 2254 seems a good combination. The CWC looks I like with an Omega logo. An older watchco or Seamaster is out of budget.

A very rambling way to ask those who have had both what are your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve currently got the 2264.50 and will never let it go after making the dreadful mistake of selling a 2254.50.
    Ive also owned an SM300 165.024 and owned a quartz CWC diver with the big triangle. So I’ve had a few of the models or near enough to what you describe.
    Personally if you can source a 2254 at sensible money. Maybe look at Japan (Closer ltd ) on Chrono 24 are excellent and then maybe get a ready beater quartz CWC. I believe the quartz CWC MOD spec have actually got better lume than the auto. However might have that wrong.
    Was just going to mention the watchco and then read your last comments.
    Therefore could you handle a 2264.50 quartz get them from Japan for £1500 to £1600 including import tax.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 8th March 2024 at 23:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I’ve currently got the 2264.50 and will never let it go after making the dreadful mistake of selling a 2254.50.
    Ive also owned an SM300 165.024 and owned a quartz CWC diver with the big triangle. So I’ve had a few of the models or near enough to what you describe.
    Personally if you can source a 2254 at sensible money. Maybe look at Japan (Closer ltd ) on Chrono 24 are excellent and then maybe get a ready beater quartz CWC. I believe the quartz CWC MOD spec have actually got better lume than the auto. However might have that wrong.
    Was just going to mention the watchco and then read your last comments.
    Therefore could you handle a 2264.50 quartz get them from Japan for £1500 to £1600 including import tax.
    Including tax? You are seeing 2264s advertise in Japan at £1,250? I am not I must say. Cheapest Japanese one on there right now is priced at £1,887 plus tax. So around £2,300 landed. They are cheaper here!
    Last edited by Padders; 8th March 2024 at 23:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Including tax? You are seeing 2264s advertise in Japan at £1,250? I am not I must say. Cheapest Japanese one on there right now is priced at £1,887 plus tax.
    Hi there
    Might have got a tad lucky . Btw not talking box and papers just watch. There’s one on at £1303+£81 +tax
    Japanese will tend to negotiate. Bizarrely “Closer Ltd ” offered me a greater discount than I asked for probably due to currency fluctuations. “Closer LTD” described the watch as average. I feel it was in fantastic condition and they delivered in 7 days.
    No relationship with Japanese suppliers but was very impressed

Master
    Hi there
    Might have got a tad lucky . Btw not talking box and papers just watch. There’s one on at £1303+£81 +tax
    Japanese will tend to negotiate. Bizarrely “Closer Ltd ” offered me a greater discount than I asked for probably due to currency fluctuations. “Closer LTD” described the watch as average. I feel it was in fantastic condition and they delivered in 7 days.
    No relationship with Japanese suppliers but was very impressed
    Got a link? I just searched on "Omega 2264" and I got 1£1,887 as the cheapest Japanese one. I may be doing something daft!

Master
    Try this

I searched Omega Seamaster , did size 40/41/42 then ticked quartz . I find doing very broad searches in chrono 24 tends to unearth the odd bargain. Good luck 🤞

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega..._UFdTr6&pos=33

Master
    Try this

I searched Omega Seamaster , did size 40/41/42 then ticked quartz . I find doing very broad searches in chrono 24 tends to unearth the odd bargain. Good luck 爛

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega..._UFdTr6&pos=33
    Interesting! Thanks.

This thread needs a shameless, persuasive, picture. Forgive me.

Keep leaning OP, you're going in the right direction :)

Master
    I have a 2254.50 bought here (unused) on the SC in 2005 for £625. We met up, had a chat and I was able to admire Eugene’s new Dreadnought. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-thanks-TZ-UK
    Many watches have come and gone in the meantime, including a Watchco SM300, but the 2254.50 is here to stay. Do search for the best you can find - mine is still close to mint.
    If a CWC is also on your radar I would suggest you try a WTB for a Zeno PRS3 (quartz) or Eddie’s Broadarrow PRS3 (auto) - exact same case. The Zeno will be cheaper and likely easier to find and possibly even still available from Zeno as they certainly still had a few until fairly recently at least. These are truer to the CWC shape than the later Precista PRS3.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Great picture of a great watch. I’ve had the auto version for almost 19 years and still love it. I also have the 2531.80, the original, painted dial Bond watch. IMO the nicest watches Omega ever made, with relatively slim cases for divers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

That's a super pic of a great watch.

I bought one of these in December after a WTB on here and have worn it every day since ... a definite keeper !

Quartz for the win I reckon. A small detail but the 3 lines of text is more aesthetic than the auto with 4 to my OCD eyes LOL

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    That's a super pic of a great watch.

I bought one of these in December after a WTB on here and have worn it every day since ... a definite keeper !

Quartz for the win I reckon. A small detail but the 3 lines of text is more aesthetic than the auto with 4 to my OCD eyes LOL
    I know very little about the Omega but, are you suggesting that the quartz is better than the auto, generally, as a watch to own? Or, is the aesthetics that appeal to you more? Just curious really as I struggle to pay that much (admittedly I don't have deep pockets!) for a quartz watch.

I do love the look of the Omega but, like the OP, would really like a 'vintage' SM 300 particularly as I'm not keen on the valve crown at the eleven position on newer models. My 'budget' told me I would have to have the CWC re issue so that's what I bought in the end.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 9th March 2024 at 14:46.

Craftsman
    …….. threads need pictures …..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the gmt and often fantasise about adding the 2254
    It is truly a charmer and a lot of a watch

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I know very little about the Omega but, are you suggesting that the quartz is better than the auto, generally, as a watch to own? Or, is the aesthetics that appeal to you more? Just curious really as I struggle to pay that much (admittedly I don't have deep pockets!) for a quartz watch.

I do love the look of the Omega but, like the OP, would really like a 'vintage' SM 300 particularly as I'm not keen on the valve crown at the eleven position on newer models. My 'budget' told me I would have to have the CWC re issue so that's what I bought in the end.
    I’ll jump into this, hope you don’t mind. I’ve now owned both but was recently priced out of a 2254.50. When Omega were producing these models it really was during their renaissance and offering real value against Rolex. Even better they were not snooty about offering quartz options. I agree that ultimately there is a price point where quartz can feel lacking value. But offset against this is the same build quality. Less upkeep cost. Less typo on the dial and a more symmetrical hour markers see the 3 and 9 position. The quartz gives you a very useful jump hour setting for easy setting when crossing time zones. The grab and go nature of it is really useful. I now own beater auto’s rather than beater quartz. A bit strange I know!

If the 2264 does appeal . I’d highly recommend sourcing from Japan where prices are better value.
    There are some of course who try and push 2264’s at 2254 prices which would not make sense

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post

For me, the quartz is more accurate, slightly slimmer case, better aesthetics on the dial printing, and a much cheaper entry point than the automatic. That's why the 2264 is a "win" for me vs the 2254. Both of them are super slim vs modern dive watches, which I really like.

I hear what you're saying about the price "for quartz" though.

I think the CWC is an excellent choice also btw.

Master
    A 2254 was my first "proper" watch - I chose it over a Submariner as it was a better deal. I got a 1 year old 2254, B&P from the old Watchfinder for £895.
    I've got a quartz CWC as well but it gets less wear.

Craftsman
    Very useful information re the Omega (auto v quartz). Interesting thoughts with regard to the quartz movement with its slim profile and having easier maintenance. Like the OP (gerrudd) I am being drawn to them as well!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    SMP imo. Unless you always take the bracelets off watches. More options.

Master
    Thanks all. I think I’m convinced on the 2254.

Master
    I wouldn’t over emphasise the ‘slimmer’ case of the quartz version. I’ve never had a 2264.50 but I have had both the quartz and auto version of the 2531.80, at one stage both versions at the same time, and never noticed any difference. According to the stated dimensions the quartz is either 0.3mm or 0.5mm thinner, depending on which stats you believe, but certainly I never noticed it.
    I currently have a 2254.50 and a 2531.80, both in minty condition. For me, they are the nicest 3-hand Omegas, much nicer than the recent offerings.

Master
    I definitely want the auto. I have a recently purchased GS that ticks the quartz box.