closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 1908

Rolex 1908

I had the chance to view the 'new' Rolex 1908 in person on Saturday. It was the first 1908 that my AD had received, in yellow gold with the white dial. The yellow gold is more muted than other yellow gold Rolex watches I have seen; the white dial is kind of matted and in some lights looks almost cream. I think that this picture on the Fratello website captures the look of the watch very well (and certainly better than my photographic skills would be able to achieve):

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...ual-1908/#gref

All in all, I thought it was a really stunning watch. I think it compares favourably with Patek's Calatrava range and the price point is significantly below too (under £20k for this).

Has anyone else seen one in the flesh and what did you make of it?

Master
    Dress watches are far from being "my thing", but that is undoubtedly a very fine looking watch.

I’d rather a 6119

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’d rather a 6119
    Have you seen this in the flesh? I thought the same until Saturday morning.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Have you seen this in the flesh? I thought the same until Saturday morning.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    No, but I asked Fremstar on Instagram about it as he has two of them since launch and he said they don’t compare to a Cellini let alone a 6119. He has every Rolex ever made and did a side by side.

No, but I asked Fremstar on Instagram about it as he has two of them since launch and he said they don’t compare to a Cellini let alone a 6119. He has every Rolex ever made and did a side by side.
    Have you got a link for that? I'd love to read the side by side comparison and I can't work out how to search a specific Instagram account.

Have you got a link for that? I'd love to read the side by side comparison and I can't work out how to search a specific Instagram account.
    Just the guys account and you can go through the posts and read captions.

He is a huge Rolex fan with multiple off catalogue Rolex and PP so always interesting to hear honest feedback

https://www.instagram.com/fremstar

Just the guys account and you can go through the posts and read captions.

He is a huge Rolex fan with multiple off catalogue Rolex and PP so always interesting to hear honest feedback

https://www.instagram.com/fremstar
    I'll have to have a longer search. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Patek fan through and through and my 5235r is my favourite watch by far. However, to be blunt, is the 6119g really £8200 better than the 1908? I would have said yes until Saturday morning. Not so sure now.

I'll have to have a longer search. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Patek fan through and through and my 5235r is my favourite watch by far. However, to be blunt, is the 6119g really £8200 better than the 1908? I would have said yes until Saturday morning. Not so sure now.
    In white gold it’s £20.4k for the 1908 and £27.5k for the 6119G but I take your point. There is also the AP Code to consider in the same bucket at £22.7k but that’s steel with a stamped dial.

If buying today I would go 6119G grey for under retail as the 1908 is too new for supply and demand to make the price settle just yet.

I know it is going a bit off topic, but why is yellow gold always cheaper than white or everose gold within the Rolex watch ranges?

Tends to be with other brands as well. I think if you do an online search you can find a history as to how it all came about.

the 1908, especially the white gold, may well be the first Rolex that I've ever liked. I wonder if it's possible to buy one...?

Looks big on that 6.7” wrist, for a dress watch.

I have absolutely zero interest in whether an Instagram influencer likes it or not. To me, it looks like an absolutely beautiful watch which I’d love to handle myself in order to get a far better impression of it.

I’ve never quite been able to make up my mind what I think about the partial use of Arabics as a pretty important design decision but, again, I really need to handle it myself to make up my mind.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn’t kick it out of bed, that’s for sure! It’s a beautiful dress watch.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th March 2024 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Looks big on that 6.7” wrist, for a dress watch.
    It's 39mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's 39mm.
    Exactly, hence the comment.

Craftsman
    That looks quite nice, could have done without the superlative blurb maybe but apart from that it's lovely, especially in yellow gold.
    Last edited by neuman356; 5th March 2024 at 09:38.

I think it looks lovely as well, maybe it would be even nicer without the Rolex crown under the 12.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was playing with one the other day for a review and was very impressed. Does exactly what it says on the tin and feels decidedly non fragile for a dress watch, if that makes sense which I fully expect it wont. I also think that navy or charcoal suede over alligator would dress it down to a very nice informal daily.

I suspect it might be right up your alley Tony tbh.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The thing that detracts from it a little for me is the circle on the hour hand, which to me goes against the otherwise classic dress watch look, and feels a little unbalanced next to the plain minute hand.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Tends to be with other brands as well. I think if you do an online search you can find a history as to how it all came about.

the 1908, especially the white gold, may well be the first Rolex that I've ever liked. I wonder if it's possible to buy one...?
    Me too. Maybe it’s because it doesn’t look like a Rolex.

Master
    Tried one on a few weeks ago.
    Admittedly speaking with bias being a Cellini owner I really don’t see where the 50% higher RRP comes from. I prefer the Cellini for various reasons including the couple of design elements noted above on the 1908 which are not to my taste (circle hour hand and Arabic numerals).

Master
    I think it’s a beautiful watch and have been looking forward to seeing one since they came out.

Granted, I’m a bit of a Rolex fan boy these days and like watches 39-41mm, but would have loved this at 37-38mm.

I have just had a call and this is available. Another customer wanted the different dial. This looks perfect to me, so off to pick it up tomorrow morning and will get some pictures posted later in the day.

Master
    I have just had a call and this is available. Another customer wanted the different dial. This looks perfect to me, so off to pick it up tomorrow morning and will get some pictures posted later in the day.
    Lucky rascal!!

I was a bit “meh” to start with but am warming up to it rapidly now. Doubt I’ll be offered the opportunity but you never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will enjoy it have seen this in the flesh very well made and different

Picked it up this morning and I love it!

Included a picture of the deployment clasp side on as I don't think I've seen one from Rolex with the indentation like this (which I guess is to aid comfort whilst wearing). Enamel dial is stunning.

Included a picture of the deployment clasp side on as I don't think I've seen one from Rolex with the indentation like this (which I guess is to aid comfort whilst wearing). Enamel dial is stunning.

Really nice

That’s really lovely - congratulations!

Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks beautiful.

I enquired about the white gold version to receive a lovely 10 paragraph, 46 line reply that in short said, no, not a chance. In more detail I was told that I can register an interest, however they don't operate a waiting list and they would be happy to arrange an appointment to visit the showroom. They couldn't guarantee that I could see the watch that I wanted but would show me other models in the range that are available to try on but not to buy. Without turning this into a rant, why does anyone arrange an appointment to go to a showroom to try on watches that they can't purchase?

Master
    Very nice purchase. Congrats.

Lovely, and congrats on snagging one so quickly/easily.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely, and congrats on snagging one so quickly/easily.
    Thanks Tony. My impression is that Rolex AD's have a much clearer idea of what stock they are going to receive in 2024. Accordingly, they can plan ahead and give clear messages to their customers about what they can expect (or not). I'm delighted with this purchase and huge thanks to my Rolex AD for making it available. They are not getting another one this year.

Thanks Tony. My impression is that Rolex AD's have a much clearer idea of what stock they are going to receive in 2024. Accordingly, they can plan ahead and give clear messages to their customers about what they can expect (or not). I'm delighted with this purchase and huge thanks to my Rolex AD for making it available. They are not getting another one this year.
    Good news, that.

Have you owned a Calatrava, and if so can you compare?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good news, that.

Have you owned a Calatrava, and if so can you compare?
    I've not owned a Calatrava. I jumped straight into Patek with the 5235r which is just amazing. However, I've handled a few Calatravas and they are beautiful watches, particularly the latest iteration with the wonderful bezel (grey dial is my favourite). I think that the 1908 compares very favourably and is also very well priced in comparison. I think the bottom line is that Patek is at a different price point for a reason, but in this case the difference between these two watches is probably marginal. Technically, I think the 1908 does compare particularly well; in terms of the whole design and aesthetic, perhaps the Calatrava has the edge. Hard to choose. In my case, I don't want to go in lower with Patek and, fingers crossed and if things go well, perhaps I might be able to make a jump to a annual calendar/chronograph, or perpetual calendar, at some point. Also, I still can't understand why Patek only offer a 2 year warranty whilst with Rolex it is a 5 year one.

Congratulations on a lovely watch.

In a way I’m happy that my tastes are unsophisticated sports watches, and so as fine as this is, I would be unlikely to wear it.

It looks a very strong release. There are some small taste matters such as Arabic quarters and I prefer manual wind for this type of watch, although I understand Rolex’s history with Petpetual movements.

If I was in this market, I would probably go VC Traditionelle, but it would have to be a boutique edition, and they aren’t easy to buy. If you are going this far I can understand most buyers pushing on financially to a Patek 6119, although that does very little for me as a watch.

I’m glad the Cellini name has disappeared, it wasn’t a strong model line. This is a strong release, no doubt about it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I am aware ADs have always known how many of each model they are due to receive in a year. They know that when they “agree” the supply for the year with Rolex. What they didn’t know was when during the year they would receive particular watches.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    As far as I am aware ADs have always known how many of each model they are due to receive in a year. They know that when they “agree” the supply for the year with Rolex. What they didn’t know was when during the year they would receive particular watches.
    I got a strong impression that they have much greater clarity on what they are getting and when they are getting it.