closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Dialed Speedmaster

The depth of the dial certainly is stunning.

Here is a nice one from the past! The White Gold PM bezel and Moonphase does it for me on this one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post

Looks lovely! What Ive been hoping for a while! How ever will wait a year or so for them to filter through and tank in price (not limited) before picking on up
    Agreed - looks great.

I just can't get my head around a Speedy at 7,600. In my mind that's overpriced by a factor of at least two, if not three ... so an easy pass for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Agreed - looks great.

I just can't get my head around a Speedy at 7,600. In my mind that's overpriced by a factor of at least two, if not three ... so an easy pass for me
    It does look great and I totally agree with your opinion on the price. I thought my Speedy Tuesday was expensive at 4100.

Easy pass for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    In 5 or 6 years time we will all look back fondly at this thread and reminisce of the good old times when you could buy a new Speedy for under 8k, whilst bemoaning that the current list of 13,765 is just too rich.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Didnt Omega do a white dialled Speedy Reduced in the past, only sold in limited markets? Im referring to a variant of the 3510:50 with the DD modular movement. Im sure Ive seen one in the past.

White dial works nicely, 42mm doesnt work nicely for me, hand- wound at this price point is a joke. If theyre still persisting with the acrylic crystal thats even funnier. Dont be fooled by the term hesalite, its acrylic plastic (aka perspex) and nothing more.

Lets be clear on one thing, this watch has no connection whatsoever with space exploration in the 60s!

A 39mm automatic version at sensible money would be far more appealing to me, but I guess Im not the target market.
    Can`t believe anyone looks at dials in such detail, even as one who fixes 'em I accept that dials sometimes contain inaccuracies and that's just how they are, would never let it put me off a watch.

Seriously, I think you've got problems if you've got a hang-up over such a minor issue. Take a step back and learn to enjoy a watch for what it is.
    I suppose you could take the same perspective with size, hand winding and crystal material.

Maybe you should take a step back and learn to enjoy a watch for what it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    In 5 or 6 years time we will all look back fondly at this thread and reminisce of the good old times when you could buy a new Speedy for under 8k, whilst bemoaning that the current list of 13,765 is just too rich.
    Nonsense.

At the current rate of price increases, we'll hit that in 4 years!

I've had two Speedies and sold both in short order, yet I still want another! Not at 7k+ though

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    I've had two Speedies and sold both in short order, yet I still want another! Not at 7k+ though
    With you in that, albeit had 1 3861 sapphire a year ago & moved it in after a few week. Then I felt its RRP of 6,800 (I think) was high, I paid 5.7ish. Now hankering after another one yet bulking at the RRP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Provided folks are happy with the size and can accept the anachronistic hand-winding, it's a very nice looking watch with lots of aesthetic appeal. However, I don`t see it as a 'one watch' solution and at 7600 it's an expensive addition to a collection for most folks. Purely a personal view, but if I was to own just one watch it wouldn't have a white dial with a steel case.

I`ve looked and better looked at the hr markers and I don`t see a problem, as I stated earlier if you look at most watch dials in enough detail you'll find minor flaws; same applies to watch cases, try looking under a microscope or even a x20 loupe and you'll see what I mean! Utterly pointless, but some folks enjoy looking for flaws, like hypochondriacs trying to find something wrong with themselves.

Master
    Provided folks are happy with the size and can accept the anachronistic hand-winding, it's a very nice looking watch with lots of aesthetic appeal. However, I don`t see it as a 'one watch' solution and at 7600 it's an expensive addition to a collection for most folks. Purely a personal view, but if I was to own just one watch it wouldn't have a white dial with a steel case.

I`ve looked and better looked at the hr markers and I don`t see a problem, as I stated earlier if you look at most watch dials in enough detail you'll find minor flaws; same applies to watch cases, try looking under a microscope or even a x20 loupe and you'll see what I mean! Utterly pointless, but some folks enjoy looking for flaws, like hypochondriacs trying to find something wrong with themselves.
    Agree, I have been chasing a white dial watch to add to my small collection. When the time comes this will be a contender.

Im not sure where the one watch standard comes from? This is a watch forum, I bet very few members only have 1 watch 🤷*♂️

I think it looks good, and agree that its too much money.

Picked up my X-33 today from a 5 month service, and tried on a platinum dialled Speedie that was very nice too.

Master
    Tried it on today and its certainly stunning. A really nice release and Im tempted to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Tried it on today and its certainly stunning. A really nice release and Im tempted to go for it.
    Was that in a UK AD?

Any guidance on availability and waiting list issues?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Was that in a UK AD?

It will be part of the core collection, just wait for the hype to die down and these will be as easy to get as the normal Speedy.

No need for waiting lists unless you have some rabid need to be one of the first to have one!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    It will be part of the core collection, just wait for the hype to die down and these will be as easy to get as the normal Speedy.

No need for waiting lists unless you have some rabid need to be one of the first to have one!
    No not at all. Just wondering what the initial perspective was like. I can wait.

Its a tough one as 7,600 is clearly no bargain but its a classy looking watch and a great daily wearer.

7,600 looks cheap compared with the white dialled Snoopy. Chrono24 have those listed at 30k, the new white dialled Speedmaster looks miles better without the cartoon dog on the dial.

Master

White Dialed Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Im not sure where the one watch standard comes from? This is a watch forum, I bet very few members only have 1 watch 🤷*♂️

I think it looks good, and agree that its too much money.

Picked up my X-33 today from a 5 month service, and tried on a platinum dialled Speedie that was very nice too.
    Glad to read someone challenging the one-watch concept. I guess it makes sense if family or friends have asked for advice, but what proportion of TZ-UK members have only one watch?

I was speaking to some work colleagues yesterday about watches (there is Gen Z interest, people!) and got the question about a daily wearer. Another concept I cannot embrace, why own a dozen watches and not wear them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    7,600 looks cheap compared with the white dialled Snoopy. Chrono24 have those listed at 30k, the new white dialled Speedmaster looks miles better without the cartoon dog on the dial.
    Good point, Chris. And the Italian market albino also goes for big money. I guess it depends on how many white dials Omega produce, and at what rate.

I would like one but 7k is a lot of money and new watches rarely or never stick with me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Was that in a UK AD?

Yes it was UK store.
    It appears it will not be sitting available in cabinets any time soon and already there is a long list.
    However, I would assume that could change depending on how many they receive and how quickly.

Appearing on chrono24 already. Interesting prices - not crazy money

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 7th March 2024 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Good point, Chris. And the Italian market albino also goes for big money. I guess it depends on how many white dials Omega produce, and at what rate.

I would like one but 7k is a lot of money and new watches rarely or never stick with me.

The white dial is going to be introduced alongside the standard pro, with no limit on production numbers. Its just going to be a regular stock watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Glad to read someone challenging the one-watch concept. I guess it makes sense if family or friends have asked for advice, but what proportion of TZ-UK members have only one watch?

I was speaking to some work colleagues yesterday about watches (there is Gen Z interest, people!) and got the question about a daily wearer. Another concept I cannot embrace, why own a dozen watches and not wear them?

Currently Im 90% one watch and have been for a few months BB58. Have a Seiko Arnie which gets worn for cycling (not happened since my accident last year) or a quick run to football once a week.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im glad the hands are black, as I really struggle with white dials and polished hands these days.
    It's not for me though, I like it well enough, but it's not particularly lighting my touch paper.

Journeyman
    I really like the watch, the red writing always gets me haha

But 7,600 is a tough sell in the current environment for me. That's getting towards Rolex money (equally unobtainable I guess)

Wouldnt surprise me to see further variations on dial colour if this takes off like its appearing to. The green dial on the gold version is a thing of beauty in the flesh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    I really like the watch, the red writing always gets me haha

But 7,600 is a tough sell in the current environment for me. That's getting towards Rolex money (equally unobtainable I guess)
    I have to say I really like it too, more than I thought I would.
    I wouldnt say its close to equivalent Rolex money though, quick glance and a steel Daytona is 13200 (at list!).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I have to say I really like it too, more than I thought I would.
    I wouldnt say its close to equivalent Rolex money though, quick glance and a steel Daytona is 13200 (at list!).
    That's a fair point. I was thinking of a Sub no date but they aren't quite equivalent in function

These will be available at 5.8k or so landed from Japanese sellers within 6 months due to lower Omega pricing in Japan so worth bearing that in mind.

Craftsman
    I must admit it looks good
    Really like it on the rubber strap
    Question for you new speedy owners
    Is the crown easier to pull out than the older model
    With my stumpy figures i always ended up pulling it out with my teeth which put me off speedys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    These will be available at 5.8k or so landed from Japanese sellers within 6 months due to lower Omega pricing in Japan so worth bearing that in mind.
    I just checked the rrp in Japan. 1,254,000 which is roughly 6,600. By the time you add uk VAT and shipping it would be more expensive than buying in the uk. I know used watches are cheaper in Japan but I wouldnt expect many used ones to appear on the market that quickly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I must admit it looks good
    Really like it on the rubber strap
    Question for you new speedy owners
    Is the crown easier to pull out than the older model
    With my stumpy figures i always ended up pulling it out with my teeth which put me off speedys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Near impossible if you bite your nails or engage in manual work. Damned hard to wind too.

Journeyman
    Love my speedy, hate winding the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I just checked the rrp in Japan. 1,254,000 which is roughly 6,600. By the time you add uk VAT and shipping it would be more expensive than buying in the uk. I know used watches are cheaper in Japan but I wouldnt expect many used ones to appear on the market that quickly.
    Japan RRP includes Japanese sales tax of 10% so that would be removed, bringing it down to 6k. Then Japanese resellers will routinely discount 20% or so on Omega (will take 6 months on this model) so that 6k is down to 4.8k. Add 20% UK VAT plus shipping and there's your c5.8k.

I love a white dialled speedmaster. I really like the new release. It inspired me to dust down my albino. This is one of my favourite watches, but sadly I find that Im rarely wearing it now that value has increased and street crime is also on the up.

I bought it many years ago when looking for a white dialled version. I turned down the Alaska project (just didnt like the styling) and I couldnt get my hands on a Mitsukoshi. Stumbled across this one in Italy on C24 and paid what seemed like way over the top for it at the time (though of course now looks like a bargain). I got lucky and I love it. Heres a picture of it I took in the sun this morning for the Friday thread.

While I love the new one and disregarding price (it does seem very expensive to me, but that might just be a reflection of me getting older), I think these are the key things I love about my albino over the new white dial:

1. Off-white rather than bright white. Less jarring alongside the black bezel.

2. Hands are dark grey, not black, again softening the contrast.

3. Hour markers are painted rather than applied which makes it look more utilitarian. Also makes the 12 oclock marker look childishly smutty which brings a smile to my face every time.

4. No flash of red to it - again looks more functional (although I think the red goes well on the starker black and white of the new model and certainly looks good on a Great White).

5. Doesnt really matter, but it is an exclusive run of 500. I actually think its great that the new one is not a limited edition.

6. Not comparing it to the new white version, but I find the various (reverse) panda versions almost unreadable, so this one and the new white one both score well there. The albino, despite its busy functionality, is one of my most legible watches.

If I wasnt the fortunate owner of the albino, Id be sorely tempted by the new one although the price would scare me off I think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone jumping on a list to buy these in a panic they will sell out or be unobtainable I would hold out. I think the days of not being able to get watches are long behind us. Not many watches selling over list outside Rolex at the moment. I think the only omega is the snoopy now.

Japan RRP includes Japanese sales tax of 10% so that would be removed, bringing it down to 6k. Then Japanese resellers will routinely discount 20% or so on Omega (will take 6 months on this model) so that 6k is down to 4.8k. Add 20% UK VAT plus shipping and there's your c5.8k.
    Any sellers you recommend for this? Hankering after another 3861 sapphire but have a figure in my mind I want to pay

Master
    I have been offered one but Im on the fence now!

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Any sellers you recommend for this? Hankering after another 3861 sapphire but have a figure in my mind I want to pay

Try Only Time on C24.

Look at my pic. That's the Hesalite. Add VAT and that's around 5k landed in UK. RRP is 6.6k so a 25% discount.

Apply that 25% to the RRP of the white dial and that equates to 5.7k landed. But they won't be discounting the white dial any time soon due to immediate demand so you'll need to wait at least 6 months I'd have thought.

Try Only Time on C24.

Look at my pic. That's the Hesalite. Add VAT and that's around 5k landed in UK. RRP is 6.6k so a 25% discount.

Apply that 25% to the RRP of the white dial and that equates to 5.7k landed. But they won't be discounting the white dial any time soon due to immediate demand so you'll need to wait at least 6 months I'd have thought.
    Thanks Ryan, I'll keep an eye on them & Omicron (which I think you mentioned elsewhere) & see what i can get in a few months.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I have been offered one but Im on the fence now!
    Offered one, ffs its not a Rolex thread !