closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Possible 3 watch final collection?

Possible 3 watch final collection?

Okay, so this is far from the first 3 watch collection thread in the world, but its my personal stab at one.
    My love of anything bigger than about 36mm non diver or 38mm diver has been ruined by my recent acquisition of a CWC fatboy reissue from an honorable TZ member.
    To that end I've assembled these three as a possible three watch collection that will cover all bases (for me at least).
    My basic criteria include vintage styling without vintage issues, dimensions as above, 3 handers (I neither like nor need complications), and for each of them to have their own individual place in my life.
    So first the CWC. This is my daily wearer and knocking about watch, I won't use the word beater as I would take it off for anything too potentially damaging. It's 36mm, quartz with no date, so great pick up and go-ability. It also scratches my military itch.
    Second, the 1959 reissue Alpinist. I don't need an actual dress watch but do need smart casual fairly regularly. 36.5mm, auto, date (could do without that and much has been written about Seiko's inclusion of the feature, but it is what it is), auto movement, 100m WR. Alongside smart casual wear it also scratches my vintage itch.
    Third, the Timefactors Smiths Commander, sourced here on sc as a trade against my Willard. 38mm, auto, no date, 300m WR. Works alongside the Alpinist for smart casual wear and also scratches my dive watch itch.
    Will these three be my exit watches? I doubt it as I'm a fully paid up member of the flippers society. But if I had to stick with three for the rest of my days, these could easily do the job.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 3rd March 2024 at 23:20.

Nice trio there. I like a clear cut black faced watch.

I could see me hanging onto any of those three and wearing them regularly.

This post has motivated me to tidy up my own collection. I’ve always thought I need one watch for each of the following cases : 1 x Dinner party, 1 x Friendly BBQ, 1 x Work, 1 x Garage/Garden/DIY!

Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post
    This post has motivated me to tidy up my own collection. I’ve always thought I need one watch for each of the following cases : 1 x Dinner party, 1 x Friendly BBQ, 1 x Work, 1 x Garage/Garden/DIY!
    I should really add a garage/garden/DIY watch aswell, but when my present circumstances change I plan/hope to not need one.

Nice trio, particularly like the Smiths.

I think I'd have to put the Alpinist on leather for a bit more diversification.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Thank you.
    I only really feel comfortable wearing nato's, plus I can change the look in seconds. The only pain with these three in this regard is the Seiko has 18mm lugs, the CWC 19mm, and the Smiths 20mm, so dedicated straps needed for each (thankfully they only cost a few quid apiece).

Master
    Those are three nice watches, but I don't think I'd be able to stick to those three myself.

No G Shock, they're all black dial, they're all a bit toolish.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Those are three nice watches, but I don't think I'd be able to stick to those three myself.

No G Shock, they're all black dial, they're all a bit toolish.
    Gshock is an omission for sure, but as for being toolish that's what I like, as I said no need for a dress watch. Any dial colour other than black soon loses it novelty with me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Nice trio there. I like a clear cut black faced watch.

I could see me hanging onto any of those three and wearing them regularly.
    Thank you. Let's see if I can resist flipperitus! The Smiths is the most likely to leave as I've owned the other two before, sold them and regretted it so will resist that mistake again.

Lovely trio there. I have very similar tastes although I like different strap combos for the different watches too and I have the obligatory G-Shock in the collection.

I love the smiths. If you do flip it, I’d be interested.

Also what nato is the smiths on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon177 View Post
    Lovely trio there. I have very similar tastes although I like different strap combos for the different watches too and I have the obligatory G-Shock in the collection.

I love the smiths. If you do flip it, I’d be interested.

Also what nato is the smiths on?
    Thank you. I'll be keeping it for the time being but will keep you in mind.
    It came with the nato but I believe it's a Strap Tailor.

Crazy thing, the Smiths has gained a total of 3 seconds since before this thread began!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Remembered this old Di Modell I had in the strap box so decided to follow your advice. Very comfortable on, like the look, but I think more of a honey brown would suit it?

My final three, I feel; my 1984 W10 issued to me in 1992. It’s had a new crystal but is otherwise original. No lume or water resistance, so it went on a buckshee leather strap and is as close to a dress watch as I’ll need.

My non-issued W10 is my daily runner; work, home, niffnaff and trivia.

My non-issued RN diver; holidays, swimming, all that jazz.

I’ve managed to wean myself off automatic watches, having previously suffered horological range anxiety when it came to quartz. I tell myself that both watches that I use regularly have EOL indicators and I can change the W10 batteries myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G10 for Men View Post

My final three, I feel; my 1984 W10 issued to me in 1992. It’s had a new crystal but is otherwise original. No lume or water resistance, so it went on a buckshee leather strap and is as close to a dress watch as I’ll need.

My non-issued W10 is my daily runner; work, home, niffnaff and trivia.

My non-issued RN diver; holidays, swimming, all that jazz.

I’ve managed to wean myself off automatic watches, having previously suffered horological range anxiety when it came to quartz. I tell myself that both watches that I use regularly have EOL indicators and I can change the W10 batteries myself.
    Cool trio. I personally wouldn't want or need two virtually the same. But if like you I had an older one with a personal or sentimental history attached to it, a newer version is definitely a good idea for day to day wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Cool trio. I personally wouldn't want or need two virtually the same. But if like you I had an older one with a personal or sentimental history attached to it, a newer version is definitely a good idea for day to day wear.
    Ordinarily I’d agree, it’s only down to the fact that I’ve had that W10 through thick and thin; I love the CWC W10s though so I bought one that wouldn’t make me cry and make snot bubbles if I lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by G10 for Men View Post
    Ordinarily I’d agree, it’s only down to the fact that I’ve had that W10 through thick and thin; I love the CWC W10s though so I bought one that wouldn’t make me cry and make snot bubbles if I lost it.

Indeed, that's basically what I meant.

Master
    I'm almost at my final three, after many years of springing all over the place. On a clear out currently to fund the last of the three (which I could just buy immediately, but I like to keep watch funds as separate from real life as I can).

1. Evening, casual, business and dress. IWC XVI on a perforated leather with deployant.

2. Pretty much all day until I get home. Damasko DC66 with the red bezel dot, on the rock hard bracelet.

3. Swimming, cycling, holidays, beach... Sinn UX on the bracelet. Chronomaster has one in stock at the moment, a 2023 tegimented. I'm hoping it's still available when I've cleared out everything else.

Everything I need and want. I have an extraordinary amount of straps in my watch drawers so I can chop and change as required.

Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

Wish me luck!
    Good luck indeed Rob!
    Nice trio by the way, a few rungs up the ladder from mine to say the least.

Master
    Good luck indeed Rob!
    Nice trio by the way, a few rungs up the ladder from mine to say the least.
    Thanks matey. I've had many lower rungs than this, and even now I consider to have three watches over £1,000 an obscene extravagance.

I like all of your trio. Clarity is my chief requirement in any watch, and those three are very clean on the eye. Lovely.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 16th April 2024 at 08:50.

Journeyman
    I think that's a decent well rounded collection. I know you say you only feel comfy on NATOS but the good thing is all 3 watches are so versatile so if ever a strap change lightbulb appears!

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Thanks matey. I've had many lower rungs than this, and even now I consider to have three watches over £1,000 an obscene extravagance.
    It's all relative. I'm firmly in the low hundreds range now (except for the Alpinist which was still three figures). I could afford higher but I find the cost or higher value of the watch doesn't add any more pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Gent View Post
    I think that's a decent well rounded collection. I know you say you only feel comfy on NATOS but the good thing is all 3 watches are so versatile so if ever a strap change lightbulb appears!

Thank you, although I have now put the alpinist on leather its still easy to change with drilled lugs. Think it will have to go back on a nato for the summer though.

Journeyman
    Thank you, although I have now put the alpinist on leather its still easy to change with drilled lugs. Think it will have to go back on a nato for the summer though.
    When I start to get bored of watches, I often find putting them to oneside for a while then twinning with a new strap gives it a new lease of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Gent View Post
    When I start to get bored of watches, I often find putting them to oneside for a while then twinning with a new strap gives it a new lease of life.

Yes very much so.

Master
    It's all relative. I'm firmly in the low hundreds range now (except for the Alpinist which was still three figures). I could afford higher but I find the cost or higher value of the watch doesn't add any more pleasure.
    I know what you mean. Despite none of mine being anything like the most expensive I've ever owned, they all satisfy my criteria.

I know what you mean. Despite none of mine being anything like the most expensive I've ever owned, they all satisfy my criteria.
    And that's what matters, nice to feel comfortable with what you have.

Master
    Exactly. Many get lost on the path to the perfect timepiece/s, pursuing ever more expensive items. I just like clear, fuss free time keeping.