closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planet Ocean 8500

Planet Ocean 8500

I have a couple of 'nice' watches, one with a crown logo with all the bits of paperwork etc, a Seamaster and a Longines Hydroconquest for work, but the Planet Ocean simply amazes me. I sent it away to Genesis watchmaking in Cumbria for a service back in the Autumn, end of October sort of time. When it came back I was informed it would settle down after a month or two, but even then it was keeping time to with 10 seconds a week. As a bit of a gauge as to how well she is running I have worn her for the whole of February, setting the time by Time Is at noon on 1st February. I haven't altered it at all, but I have changed how I put it down at night, sometimes face up, sometime side down with the face looking at me when I roll over in bed. I checked it again today, at noon, it was 11 seconds fast! That is after a month, not a week. To say I am happy is an understatement. I think it is the best looking of my watches too, although the Seamaster runs it close. The polished hands catch the light, the slightest bit of light, so even when it is dimpsy and the daylight hasn't charged the lume with it being under my sleeve, the hands are readable by their glint.

How accurate are really accurate watches? Or is this one of those freaks? I will give it a rest and wear the Seamaster for a month and see how that fares.

Master
    This is one of the reasons I love Omega divers. My first PO (which was also an 8500) ran consistently to +0.1spd, so yours is not a freak, it’s just amazing engineering.

I’ve had many POs and seamasters and other Omegas with 8500, 8900 etc movements and the timekeeping is almost always spot on

That's good to know, thank you. I made a decent choice I think.

My brother ask about the accuracy of my grand seiko spring Drive. Had it running for 2 weeks and it wasn't a second out either side (only timed it with a multiband gshock)
    I've never really taken note of accuracy but I was quite impressed

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Good stuff. My 8500 AT is 2SPD fast which I am more than happy with.

Blog Entries
    That’s great results. I had a few Omega and they tend to be set to run a little fast a day. The main thing is they ran consistently fast. Not sure they are the most accurate in my collection - but accurate enough.

I must admit I haven’t dug out the timeograph for a while and even just set my watches within a minute or two of the real time and (gasp) not even line up the second hand to the 12!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I think running a little bit fast is better than running slow. After a while, when you come to reset the time, it just requires pulling out the crown and waiting for the world to catch up, then push the crown back in!

Planet Ocean 8500

I seem to remember this came with a Crown logo watch after being returned from service.
    It’s sound advice (if the error is a few a day not a week)

The Omegas I have had were all very accurate.

Master
    My 3861 runs at around +0.5 spd when worn during the day and crown up overnight, but that's firmly beaten by my B&R which sits at +/-0 spd when the same positions occur.

Happy with both, but really not bothered about a bit of gain or loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    My 3861 runs at around +0.5 spd when worn during the day and crown up overnight, but that's firmly beaten by my B&R which sits at +/-0 spd when the same positions occur.

Happy with both, but really not bothered about a bit of gain or loss.
    What is a B&R please?

Bell & Ross
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Had no idea you could influence the accuracy of the watch by placing it in a different position over night.

Tried this on a Seiko and went from +20 to +6. I’ll be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    What is a B&R please?
    This one in this case. The most accurate mechanical I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Had no idea you could influence the accuracy of the watch by placing it in a different position over night.

It's mad isn't it?! Crown up/down brakes the movement, dial up/down gives it an easier time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is why quality watches are adjusted to 5 positions - to ensure they are all as even as possible.
    Watch adjusting is a very deep rabbit hole…
    Dave