closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New car (to me) Range Rover 5.0 supercharged.. Any advice/help/tips

Blog Entries
    Enjoy!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Op will need to get used to never being let out at a traffic junction ever again.

Guess we all want what we want, the actions of the previous owner is nothing to do with the OP….dont see why hes getting grief over a car choice.

Let’s talk fact here for one second rather than speculation, the cars in all honesty aren't really that bad. Yes they have problems but show me any originally priced 100k car which is c10 years old that doesn't? Lots of techy stuff on this beast which keeps it going forward in the mud and makes it feel like a Rolls Royce around the bends….at some point it’s going to go wrong. I would have this over lots of other Land Rover products

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Well, if you bought it from the original owner, he's lost at least £70k in depreciation over the years. He also committed something that certainly looks like insurance fraud in claiming that it had a tracker. Certainly, his insurance company thinks that's the case.

You've bravely bought a car manufactured by a company that's not renowned for its reliability. (I've picked the graph from 2017, as it would be when your car was three years old.)

Maybe your car has been meticulously maintained - both restorative and preventative maintenance - but given that the only thing that we, your readers, know about the previous owned is that he lied to his insurance company to (presumably) save money on his premiums, that might not be the case.

All this before we consider the 13mpg, the £3k insurance, and the general two-fingers at every other road user!

I hope it works out for you well, OP, and I hope to see updates. Really not meaning to kink-shame here - I understand that a watch forum is not the place to be making comments about sensible use of our money!
    So let me clear this up. Previous owner is a very very wealthy business owner. I won’t go into details so il say no more.
    He uses a personal broker for his insurance as he has many many cars. £200k plus cars and a few of them to boot.
    He said he reported the car to his insurance who sent an assessor to survey the steering wheel and interior trim that had been pulled about by the thieves looking for a tracker that didn’t exist. (Police had recovered it by driving to a local hotspot and found it parked up within an hour of it being stolen). Insurance broker asked the owner for the tracker details and he said he presumed it had one but hadn’t given it any further thought. Insurance never paid out. No fraud. No intention to save money on a premium. An expensive oversight by a very busy extremely trustworthy chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Guess we all want what we want, the actions of the previous owner is nothing to do with the OP….dont see why hes getting grief over a car choice.

Let’s talk fact here for one second rather than speculation, the cars in all honesty aren't really that bad. Yes they have problems but show me any originally priced 100k car which is c10 years old that doesn't? Lots of techy stuff on this beast which keeps it going forward in the mud and makes it feel like a Rolls Royce around the bends….at some point it’s going to go wrong. I would have this over lots of other Land Rover products
    Thanks for the reassurance. For the money il take a chance for 6/12 months. If I’m lucky il get to drive a car I could never afford new for a bit. If it goes wrong it goes wrong
    Life’s for living

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. For the money il take a chance for 6/12 months. If I’m lucky il get to drive a car I could never afford new for a bit. If it goes wrong it goes wrong
    Life’s for living

Ref the tracker, it would have been a JLR optional extra back then that he'd have likely had to have paid a monthly, yearly subscription for.
    PM me the reg and i can check the fitted extras on Monday, it may well be sat there and he just didn't know about it

Edit…yes it would have had a tracker of sorts, it would have had in control apps back then im sure, he could have logged in and seen its location assuming it was set up.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd March 2024 at 17:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Ref the tracker, it would have been a JLR optional extra back then that he'd have likely had to have paid a monthly, yearly subscription for.
    PM me the reg and i can check the fitted extras on Monday, it may well be sat there and he just didn't know about it

Edit…yes it would have had a tracker of sorts, it would have had in control apps back then im sure, he could have logged in and seen its location assuming it was set up.
    For insurance purposes, does it need to have the subscription or they can track w/o?

(just curious...)
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 2nd March 2024 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    For insurance purposes, does it need to have the subscription or they can track w/o?
    Tbh not sure, my Sport had it and it was free for the first 3 years after that there was a subscription. Its not a tracker in the true sense of the word, you could log in make sure the windows, doors were locked, it would show you the journeys taken with speeds and distance etc but it wasn’t real-time like some. Once it was parked up you could see its location. Whether that would be enough for the insurance company I'm not sure. There was of course a proper JLR tracker that told you if it was being pinched without the key and it would send real time alerts via texts and emails

So let me clear this up. Previous owner is a very very wealthy business owner. I won’t go into details so il say no more.
    He uses a personal broker for his insurance as he has many many cars. £200k plus cars and a few of them to boot.
    He said he reported the car to his insurance who sent an assessor to survey the steering wheel and interior trim that had been pulled about by the thieves looking for a tracker that didn’t exist. (Police had recovered it by driving to a local hotspot and found it parked up within an hour of it being stolen). Insurance broker asked the owner for the tracker details and he said he presumed it had one but hadn’t given it any further thought. Insurance never paid out. No fraud. No intention to save money on a premium. An expensive oversight by a very busy extremely trustworthy chap.

I’ll respond in more detail with my own experiences of owning one of these with the 5.0 supercharged engine when I have time. However regarding the insurer, if the are refusing to pay out, it means they would have voided the policy due to the lack of a tracker. Therefore they wouldn’t have had any right to declare the vehicle a Category N?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I’ll respond in more detail with my own experiences of owning one of these with the 5.0 supercharged engine when I have time. However regarding the insurer, if the are refusing to pay out, it means they would have voided the policy due to the lack of a tracker. Therefore they wouldn’t have had any right to declare the vehicle a Category N?
    So I did query this but apparently I’ve they’ve applied the marker they can’t remove it.
    Would love your feedback when you have the time

Master
    So I did query this but apparently I’ve they’ve applied the marker they can’t remove it.
    Would love your feedback when you have the time

When you get bored give me a shout, seriously I’ll park that in my new garage for the right price

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    When you get bored give me a shout, seriously I’ll park that in my new garage for the right price
    Give me a week to see how the fuel bills go

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Well, if you bought it from the original owner, he's lost at least £70k in depreciation over the years. He also committed something that certainly looks like insurance fraud in claiming that it had a tracker. Certainly, his insurance company thinks that's the case.

You've bravely bought a car manufactured by a company that's not renowned for its reliability. (I've picked the graph from 2017, as it would be when your car was three years old.)
    What a very odd post!

a lot of high end cars depreciate incredibly. I know someone who lost £100k on a car in two years (50% of its purchase cost)
    any number of wealthy people don't have a clue about cars and will buy them for the prestige. With his apparent wealth, he's not going to lie about a tracker to scrimp on insurance. I'd take it as given that he thought it had one (the original seller probably told him that it did) and probably doesn't even have a clue what kind of tracker it was.
    you're not going to buy a supercharged 5.0 Overfinch as a reliable daily runabout. You'll be commenting on the mpg and servicing costs next!!

£3k fully comp me and the Mrs…and she can’t drive for sh*t
    she can't drive for **** and you've bought a 5.0 supercharged Overfinch that she will drive!!??

watch those wheels then., they're a kerbing incident waiting to happen and the silver scuff will stand out a mile on black wheels!

it's a heck of a beast, no doubt. If I liked that type of thing I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Not a lot of love for the guy who has got himself a new car!

Is it personal or just being smart?

Craftsman
    I dont understand all the negativity towards the poor guy. He was proudly showing off his new car. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble!

I have a Defender and a Disco 5 and have never had any trouble with either. Every car manufacturer has a few bad ones, we generally just get to hear it more on £100k cars.
    My brother in law has the same RR / engine and we took used it to get us snowboarding in Morzine a couple of years ago. It did an amazing job and was probably the most comfortable I have ever been doing this journey.

Good luck to you with your new car.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

All looks a bit c**tish, doesn't it?

Master
    Enjoy! Looks a beast of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    All looks a bit c**tish, doesn't it?
    I wouldn’t describe it as cultish. 😎

Blog Entries
    Is it wrapped?

New car (to me) Range Rover 5.0 supercharged.. Any advice/help/tips

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

A pimped up RR is always going to polarise.

Personally I see these types of cars as vulgar, but Op, if it is a car of your dreams, enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    she can't drive for **** and you've bought a 5.0 supercharged Overfinch that she will drive!!??

watch those wheels then., they're a kerbing incident waiting to happen and the silver scuff will stand out a mile on black wheels!

it's a heck of a beast, no doubt. If I liked that type of thing I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
    Difficult to 'kerb' the rims at 22" surely.
    Fantastic car BTW, a drive to the south of France would be a breeze in one of these.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Go for it, OP.

Life is for living indeed. Not everyone wants to drive a Tesla or a Volvo.

Ignore the negativity. If you like it, then that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Go for it, OP.
    The opening post says he bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The opening post says he bought it.
    Yes, I had read that.

Go for it being a turn of phrase, rather than specific advice to make a purchase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I wouldn’t describe it as cultish. 
    Or does he mean it looks like a countash

To be fair…the reason I posted the car is because 99 per cent of the time I’m super sensible and this forum is such a wealth of knowledge I always tend to ask for opinions on here with any big purchase I make as there is always great advice, feedback etc. I get the car or the kit will polarise, truth be told Id always found them chavvy and a bit crass. Never would I have had a car wrapped if I were paying for it. But….the car has grown on me. Goes to show, don’t always judge a book by its cover. I’ve taken it out for a few blasts today and my god it’s very quick for a huge old thing. I was smiling, although I’ve only put £100 in fuel and haven’t seen how quick that will last…will it be a money pit? Who knows? Does it have an association attached to it which I don’t really want? Yes. It’s loud, it’s brash but it is fun. It’s actually not too brash bar the Overfinch badging on the bonnet and rear. As I’ve said above, it’s all new to me, il use it for 3/6 months and reevaluate the longevity of ownership. One things for sure, it’s caused a stir!

As I’ve said above, it’s all new to me, il use it for 3/6 months and reevaluate the longevity of ownership. One things for sure, it’s caused a stir!
    Sounds like an interesting experiment. What matters is what you think and whether you enjoy the car.

Keep the thread open and let us know how you get on over the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Difficult to 'kerb' the rims at 22" surely…
    Why ?
    Far more likely, surely

Someone’s had a go already

Well done for not buying the usual safe crap, I hope you enjoy it

I echo the POSITIVE comments in this thread.

Awesome machine and an incredible bargain.

You need to go into ownership with your eyes open, but I imagine you've already done the maths and the research.

I recently took the gamble/plunge/opportunity to buy a very old FFRR (L322) and my ownership has been nothing but a joy, albeit with some bumps in the road.

You've bought the car, enjoy the journey. There is an incredible owners scene which will have you fixing lots of little niggles yourself, should you be inclined to do so.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Bravo OP. I've driven a full size SVR and that was amazing so imagine this is similar. Lots of car for the money. Be interested to see how you get on with it so as others have said, please keep us posted. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Life’s for living

Great attitude. Enjoy the po faced looks from the boring folks

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Difficult to 'kerb' the rims at 22" surely.
    you're aware that it's the bottom that gets kerbed, not the top right?

ultra low profile and flush or even slightly narrow for the rim tyres, yes, that's a kerbing waiting to happen. It's quite common.

Master
    “Any advice - help or tips”

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Saw a sign on the back of a ford ranger like that. Although it said " instead of fixing a range rover" underneath..

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Live, Love, Laugh?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Well done for not buying the usual safe crap, I hope you enjoy it
    A friend of mine who usually buys (or leases) new, well-specced 'sensible' cars (A3, 3-series, C-class etc) had a Mustang last year. He described it as the best worst car he's ever had - really glad he had it for the year, never wants another one or anything like it. I'll be interested on hearing from the OP in a year but I also applaud you for giving it a go - it's the kind of thing I'd do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Saw a sign on the back of a ford ranger like that. Although it said " instead of fixing a range rover" underneath..
    I’m sure a diesel pick-up is an exciting achievement for some.

Having owned an L494 and a 2014 Range Rover with the same 5.0 Supercharged engine as the OP’s, I’m definitely in the positive camp for this purchase.

My first point would be to take comprehensive photographs of the vehicle including pictures of the sawn through steering wheel to illustrate that this vehicle is a Cat N purely due to being stolen recovered and not due to any major body damage. This would help any subsequent sale.

Given what I’ve read here about the previous owner, I presume he hasn’t skimped on maintenance. At this age, I’d stay clear of main dealers and find yourself a decent specialist. If you’re handy with the the spanners and fancy servicing yourself, there are lots of online specialists who sell both genuine and aftermarket service parts. I used to use LRparts.net

Other things that might need attention during your ownership could be the airbags on each corner which may leak. If they do, you’ll notice a drop in height for that corner. These are reasonable cheap to replace. If you leave it too long, it will cause the compressor to work extra hard which may also fail. Again, these are easy to rebuild or replace.

The 5.0 supercharged engine is the best and smoothest out of the lot. The 3.0 diesel is prone to crankshaft failure and the 4.4 diesel eventually require replacement turbos at higher mileage. I never had any problems with mine. The ZF 8 speed gearbox is also very smooth. Land Rover will tell you the boxes are sealed for life. When the car approaches around 100k miles, I’d recommend a gearbox oil change which would cost around £350-£400.

Make sure the battery which is under the boot floor is in good order as a battery which is on its last legs can throw lots of error codes.

If you’re into modding your cars, I’d recommend changing the rear light clusters to the post 2018 ones which will give the car a cleaner and more modern look. Google Powerful UK who sell lots of interesting bits for Range Rovers. They also have a YouTube channel which gives lots of info about modding and maintenance.

Finally, a very good website for you would be www.fullfatrr.com Lots of owners on there with lots of advice.

Enjoy the car! Given the price you’ve paid, even after a years ownership, I don’t you’ll lose money. There will always be a wide boy somewhere who will bite your hand off for an Overfinch L494!

Oh and as others have said, get a Ghost fitted. Here’s a pic of mine after installation!

All those stickers are probably a good deterrent too..........Oh, I see, yours is the RR ;)

Craftsman
    Having owned an L494 and a 2014 Range Rover with the same 5.0 Supercharged engine as the OP’s, I’m definitely in the positive camp for this purchase.

My first point would be to take comprehensive photographs of the vehicle including pictures of the sawn through steering wheel to illustrate that this vehicle is a Cat N purely due to being stolen recovered and not due to any major body damage. This would help any subsequent sale.

Given what I’ve read here about the previous owner, I presume he hasn’t skimped on maintenance. At this age, I’d stay clear of main dealers and find yourself a decent specialist. If you’re handy with the the spanners and fancy servicing yourself, there are lots of online specialists who sell both genuine and aftermarket service parts. I used to use LRparts.net

Other things that might need attention during your ownership could be the airbags on each corner which may leak. If they do, you’ll notice a drop in height for that corner. These are reasonable cheap to replace. If you leave it too long, it will cause the compressor to work extra hard which may also fail. Again, these are easy to rebuild or replace.

The 5.0 supercharged engine is the best and smoothest out of the lot. The 3.0 diesel is prone to crankshaft failure and the 4.4 diesel eventually require replacement turbos at higher mileage. I never had any problems with mine. The ZF 8 speed gearbox is also very smooth. Land Rover will tell you the boxes are sealed for life. When the car approaches around 100k miles, I’d recommend a gearbox oil change which would cost around £350-£400.
    I've had the Jag 5.0 supercharged and it was a money pit , there is an issue with the timing chain tensioners and the superchargers can fail , there is a revised part for the blower drive but the actual superchargers can go as well , mine failed at 67k , apart from that not awful but both issues are big bills if they go

The gearbox should be serviced every 5 years or 85,000km according to ZF its about £400 to do and worthwhile

Make sure the battery which is under the boot floor is in good order as a battery which is on its last legs can throw lots of error codes.

If you’re into modding your cars, I’d recommend changing the rear light clusters to the post 2018 ones which will give the car a cleaner and more modern look. Google Powerful UK who sell lots of interesting bits for Range Rovers. They also have a YouTube channel which gives lots of info about modding and maintenance.

Finally, a very good website for you would be www.fullfatrr.com Lots of owners on there with lots of advice.

Enjoy the car! Given the price you’ve paid, even after a years ownership, I don’t you’ll lose money. There will always be a wide boy somewhere who will bite your hand off for an Overfinch L494!
    Thank you so much for your detailed post. Lots to consider and if I keep the car long term I think id be mad not to get the lights changed like you say as why not?
    Love the positivity! loving the car and engine so far. Few bits and bobs to get it perfect but looking forward to it.
    Thanks again for the advice

Get some 5D plates on it.

Master
    Prepare to have massive repair bills in the future is my experience of range rovers.