closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for Square G-Shock for a first time buyer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thank you for the clarification on the auto light - that will certainly be a deciding factor between the DW-5600 and solar version!
    If you decide on the basic DW-5600E I’d wait a short while because it’s getting the ‘U’ treatment. So it’ll have the better, more efficient LED backlight (5 year plus battery life now, rather than 2) but more importantly the UK date format. It’ll be the DW-5600UE, some have been spotted in the wild already.

Personally I’d recommend the GW-M5610U. Easily worth the full price for a new one.
    Last edited by oiljam; 1st March 2024 at 07:25.

I've a couple of squares (both are solar and pick up the time sync signal) and enjoy wearing them when I do, I've never found the buttons the easiest to operate though. They're quite small, don't protrude much from the case and have a slightly squidgy feel to them. Definitely tricky to operate with gloves on, for example.

I'd try before you buy just in case, the likes of H Samuel normally have a varient or two in stock.

Tried quite a few variants over the years but always come back to the ubiquitous square which seems to sit best on my 6.5 inch wrist.

5000U is my favourite all rounder but have a few others to rotate. Combi bracelet as mentioned offers a different look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have to agree with the others, I picked up my first G-Shock at the beginning of last year, the GW-M5610-1 with the electro-luminescent back light but this has the american date format which eventually bugged the hell out of me so I gave the watch to my brother. However I still wanted a G-Shock so I picked up the newer GW-M5610U-1ER model which has the UK date format and the more standard back light which is ok and does it's job.

You can tell the newer model just by looking at the face of the watch, in the top right corner it just says Light where as the previous version say EL Back Light, apart from that (and the date format) both watches are identical.

The tough solar & multiband-6 are great, I've never needed to leave the watch in direct sunlight for charging purposes, ambient room light does just fine and with the power save mode (PS) activated, I have never had any issues in this area.

It's a great, comfortable, small'ish, reliable, accurate beater which can take pretty much anything......you won't be disappointed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ll just add that if it still feels too big, Casio have folded the baby G models into g-shock so there’s a midsize square option too.

These include the GMD S5600.

The functionality isn’t as good as the ‘full size’ options but if small is what you want, that’s where you’ll find the smallest options.

I got the similarly-sized BGD-S5600 for the wife.

Here's a comparison pic vs my GW-5000U on my 6.5" wrist.

Nice little watch, but there can't be many men for whom the full size Square is too big ! Having said that, it is definitely an option if you prefer the size and can look past the Baby branding :-)

I very much enjoy the square Gs, in fact it could be said that I have a bit of a Problem. I really took to the Bluetooth metal ones (GMW-B5000) and have three, plus a cluster of different bezel/bracelet sets. This is after pruning a couple from the collection last year. As I say: a Problem.

I also have form for custom Cerakote jobs so the bezel/bracelet options include Cerakote in dark green and a lovely “worn” dark grey finish, both done by Tempus Watch Mods. A couple of Titanium sets (plain black and grey camo) and some Jays and Kays adapters and I have all the variety I could ever conceivably need. They’re robust, I love the design and with the Bluetooth connection they’re trivially easy to set up and configure.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post

Nice little watch, but there can't be many men for whom the full size Square is too big ! Having said that, it is definitely an option if you prefer the size and can look past the Baby branding :-)
    I do, my wrist is a little larger than yours but I personally prefer the smaller option

However, this will not be the right choice for most people.

Master
    I like the square Gs though I only have four of them. This is one that I bought from SC about ten years ago. It's actually a Frankenshock, the bezel / strap was stolen from some other G Shock model by the previous owner for a bit of colour.

Last edited by monogroover; 1st March 2024 at 13:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I do, my wrist is a little larger than yours but I personally prefer the smaller option

However, this will not be the right choice for most people.
    It's great that we get the choice, and very nice to see Solar and Multi-band 6 options in the smaller size as well.

I see yours is 20 Bar too ... the BGD-S5600 is only 10 Bar !

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've a couple of squares (both are solar and pick up the time sync signal) and enjoy wearing them when I do, I've never found the buttons the easiest to operate though. They're quite small, don't protrude much from the case and have a slightly squidgy feel to them. Definitely tricky to operate with gloves on, for example.

I'd try before you buy just in case, the likes of H Samuel normally have a varient or two in stock.
    If you're after bigger buttons, the versions with a screw case back have considerably easier buttons to operate

As we're sharing pics, here's some pics of my squares past-and-present

And a few with aftermarket parts. I don't personally do this anymore, but I did have some fun in the past with it!

Craftsman
    Just beware with G-Shocks. After buying one you’ll wonder why you ever wore another watch…..

It's great that we get the choice, and very nice to see Solar and Multi-band 6 options in the smaller size as well.

I see yours is 20 Bar too ... the BGD-S5600 is only 10 Bar !
    Yup, and it also has the option of having the date set the correct way!

It was a limited run: BGD5000U

They don’t seem to have used the module in anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Just beware with G-Shocks. After buying one you’ll wonder why you ever wore another watch…..
    Before buying a G Shock I would think no chance but now that I have one, it really is a fantastic watch. Really light, comfortable and accurate. Plus you can wear it in London!

I think I wore my 5610 for two months consistently and thought I better start wearing my other watches eg CWC Mellor, Fatboy and Seiko SKX007. These watches are all fantastic but there is something special about a G Shock.

Master
    I got the similarly-sized BGD-S5600 for the wife.

Here's a comparison pic vs my GW-5000U on my 6.5" wrist.

They actually do a smaller square now without the Baby G branding. Various colours.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmd-s5600ba-1er

Check out the smaller G-Lide range too

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/cas...iABEgIZlfD_BwE

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, and iceblue who sold me this beauty!

I appreciate all of the recommended features - the solar power, the UK date format and the light that comes on with the turn of the wrist.

Good choice!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    They actually do a smaller square now without the Baby G branding. Various colours.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmd-s5600ba-1er
    In hindsight that would have been even better ! 20 Bar too ... <<edit : ah, not multi-band 6 or Solar though !!! >>

Oh well ... :-)

Well done the OP for taking the plunge and a great choice !
    Last edited by 459GMB; 9th March 2024 at 17:15.

Very pleased with this recent pick up, though the US date format is a bit of a pain.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, and iceblue who sold me this beauty!

I appreciate all of the recommended features - the solar power, the UK date format and the light that comes on with the turn of the wrist.
    Great choice, this is the best G-Shock model in my opinion....looks great and is pretty much indestructible.