closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Television LED v QLED

New Television LED v QLED

Ok, currently have a 52” Samsung plasma that is 12 years old, looking to get a new tv 65”, I sit in an extension with a big bi fold door to garden and four velux roof windows , so it’s always nice and sunny. Looking at a new tv am I really going to see the difference between LED and QLED?

With the plasma on a summer afternoon we have so much reflection on the scree we just turn the tv off.

Yes particularly if you watch a lot of UHD HDR

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Go OLED brilliant pictures

Master
    Blog Entries
    For a bright room I suspect mini-LED will be the one

We have an oled LG G3 55”.

Had it about six months and we’ve been really impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 3 LG OLED's - love them.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've a Sony and and LG Oled and they are both great , the Sony A95

I thought Oleds were not recommended for bright rooms?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have bright room and my Sony OLED is fantastic

I have a Sony QLED and very happy with it.

Sony dont call it QLED, they have their own name for it like triluminos or something like that, i cant quite remember but its basically QLED.

The OLED are best but Im waiting until they improve the technology before I hand over £1400+ or whatever for a half decent one.

Sony call it QD Oled, I have the A95 , just a brilliant TV

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Sony call it QD Oled, I have the A95 , just a brilliant TV

Is the sound good on the a95 Sony ?
    I’ve heard good things about this model
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Is the sound good on the a95 Sony ?
    I’ve heard good things about this model
    Cheers
    Yeah it's very good but only listened to it once out of interest as use a Sonos , but it's very good for a TV

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Sony acoustic screen is very good, the dialogue comes from the part of the screen where the person is. It’s only found lacking having no Sub Woofer.

Master
    General rule of thumb is that OLED is the best picture with the deepest blacks. But they tend to not be as good in bright conditions as they still (last I checked) can’t go as bright as LEDs. So if that is your viewing position as described you probably want to favour a LED.

Blog Entries
    Sony X90L “mini-LED” bought 2 months ago (55” - other sizes available). Very happy. QLED were much more for the same size.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I visit a few shops and see how they all look.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I visit a few shops and see how they all look.
    The shops have shop display mode which lifts everything up several notches, be aware of that and make sure all the TVs you are looking at have it on

Master
    The shops have shop display mode which lifts everything up several notches, be aware of that and make sure all the TVs you are looking at have it on

It’s amazing how many things you need to switch off / change to optimise the picture once you get a tv home. So many watch them straight out the box with overblown colours, contrast etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s amazing how many things you need to switch off / change to optimise the picture once you get a tv home. So many watch them straight out the box with overblown colours, contrast etc.
    Yeah I don't follow the online settings though as they are geeks who sit in the dark and want a calibrated Tele

I watch it bright lounge and even at night we'll have lamps.on and Philips strips behind the Tele , I want my TV to look good but the online settings invariably name the Tele look awful

Somewhere between them and the shop settings

Avforums have some good guides to help set up / calibrate tv’s

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Avforums have some good guides to help set up / calibrate tv’s
    Yeah i take what I want from AV some useful tips but as I said they are geeks who want accurate TVs in dark rooms and spend money and time on calibration, I've tried their settings on every TV and they look awful in a bright lounge or any level of lighting on in the evenings .

If that's your bag then they are an excellent source of advice agreed.

I have a 55 inch Samsung Qled in my very bright garden room but a 55 inch LG Oled in my lounge.
    In absolute terms I would say the oled is the better picture in a darkened room but would be useless in my garden room as it is far more troubled by glare and reflections than the qled.

Master
    Yeah I don't follow the online settings though as they are geeks who sit in the dark and want a calibrated Tele

I watch it bright lounge and even at night we'll have lamps.on and Philips strips behind the Tele , I want my TV to look good but the online settings invariably name the Tele look awful

Somewhere between them and the shop settings

A rear light strip at 5700k behind the tv makes the blacks and contrast so much better as streamed as it sounds, ours is always on with the tv.

Depending on what we are watching, the lights in the room vary; if it’s a film, the whole room goes to 5700k at a low light, it’s amazing what you can still see in the room yet feel you are in a dark environment.

Calibration isn’t just a geek dark room art, can be adjusted for ambient lighting as well. Not always people dwelling in their mom’s basements lol, but know what you mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A rear light strip at 5700k behind the tv makes the blacks and contrast so much better as streamed as it sounds, ours is always on with the tv.

Depending on what we are watching, the lights in the room vary; if it’s a film, the whole room goes to 5700k at a low light, it’s amazing what you can still see in the room yet feel you are in a dark environment.

Calibration isn’t just a geek dark room art, can be adjusted for ambient lighting as well. Not always people dwelling in their mom’s basements lol, but know what you mean.

Yeah I know I have Phillips Hue strips behind Tele and very them all the time

Despite that the settings they push on the forums to try and get to 'accurate' leave me cold, I'm not bothered about accuracy I just want a great looking Tele. Pitch black rooms HDR settings are one thing I get that but for normal viewing their settings are always flat and dull for me

Master
    Yeah I know I have Phillips Hue strips behind Tele and very them all the time

Despite that the settings they push on the forums to try and get to 'accurate' leave me cold, I'm not bothered about accuracy I just want a great looking Tele. Pitch black rooms HDR settings are one thing I get that but for normal viewing their settings are always flat and dull for me

Had a look through the THX colour setup guides? I used to think the online calibrated things made it dull until I played with one & then paid for a proper calibration with some screen gadget. Never a bright light toward our screen so drop a blind if we need to adjust.

We’ve been pushed towards burning bright reds & overdrive backlighting being the expectation of a bright screen and it’s seen as a sign of being better, driven by the manufacturers own in store points of display designed to sell the televisions. It’s a hard battle to win with that sort of sales setup.

Once watching a calibrated screen it’s never flat or dull, it’s adapting to what it should look like vs a photo being seen on a monitor popping with far too much colour, contrast, exposure.

There is a science, and I often wonder how people watch dark, moody scenes with so much ambient contrast & back light.

Each to their own though.

Had a look through the THX colour setup guides? I used to think the online calibrated things made it dull until I played with one & then paid for a proper calibration with some screen gadget. Never a bright light toward our screen so drop a blind if we need to adjust.

We’ve been pushed towards burning bright reds & overdrive backlighting being the expectation of a bright screen and it’s seen as a sign of being better, driven by the manufacturers own in store points of display designed to sell the televisions. It’s a hard battle to win with that sort of sales setup.

Once watching a calibrated screen it’s never flat or dull, it’s adapting to what it should look like vs a photo being seen on a monitor popping with far too much colour, contrast, exposure.

There is a science, and I often wonder how people watch dark, moody scenes with so much ambient contrast & back light.

Yeah I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it. My wife likes a lamp on plus the light strips behind the Tele and I like the TV to pop. Not vivid style pop but I cannot get used to any of the forums settings and I've tried to like them .

Master
    Yeah I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it. My wife likes a lamp on plus the light strips behind the Tele and I like the TV to pop. Not vivid style pop but I cannot get used to any of the forums settings and I've tried to like them .

Guess I’m lucky my wife doesn’t have a view beyond seeing the surroundings lol. If it’s too bright I see it get faded very quickly, and all our lights are wall mounted, so may make a difference as no screen reflection.

Yeah we don't have screen reflection her lamp is offset

I just find the forum settings far to dark and flat for my tastes