closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have de-wait listed myself ...

Master
    Blog Entries

I have de-wait listed myself ...

Today I visited a Rolex AD at about 9:50am … lots of staff around … only one customer, me.

I have been on the waiting list for a Submariner for approaching 3 years and thought I’d enquire as to how that was progressing.

The young chap who served me was polite but that is as far as it goes, confirmed I was on the system and that was it … absolutely no interest in me or my interest in watches.

The experience was so negative I told him to delete me from the list which he did and then just looked at me blankly, so I left …

He could have engaged me in some discussion about watches, asked f I would like to try any other brands, asked me about my collection, there was a whole range of ways he could have engaged me and tried to sell another item or encourage me to stay on the waiting list but nothing.

This is the second time in a row my visits to the store have been disappointing and so that is it ... I won't be buying a new Sub ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't take it personally. They are probably deflated from being salesmen with nothing to sell.

Good for you. I'd have felt similarly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I wouldn't take it personally. They are probably deflated from being salesmen with nothing to sell.
    They had loads to sell, just not Rolex ...

I'm not taking it personally, just there was no-one in the whole store ... he could have showed me other stock ... didn't bother ...

My AD, well not really my AD, but the one that holds my expression of interest have been in contact, but to extol the virtues of their "certified pre-owned" Rolex :(

D

These SA are in for a big shock the way the market is headed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

I'm not taking it personally, just there was no-one in the whole store ... he could have showed me other stock ... didn't bother ...
    True but depending on the AD. The salespeople can often just deal with one brand and you have to wonder over to look at others.

Grand Master
    Well done that'll learn them
    RIAC

Master
    My dealer de-listed me for a steel SkyDweller after I turned down their offer of a yellow gold Sub!!

Where was this? One to avoid maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Where was this? One to avoid maybe
    Or one where to get on the waiting list as there`s now one less name on it!

Master
    There’ll be a lot of younger sales assistants who’ve never known it any other way than it is now, which doesn’t help.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Well done that'll learn them
    I'm sure it won't make a blind bit of difference all the time there is a long queue of people standing behind me willing to buy ...

My issue is not with the lack of availability it is with the poor service experienced.

For me being treated so poorly just puts a sour taste over the whole experience and so I no longer want the watch even if they offered me one now at a discount ... a watch for me is a significant purchase usually associated with some sort of personal milestone and becomes attached to that ... if the process of buying is so negative then the whole ownership experience is tainted so I'll pass on it.

I have pinged the CEO an email expressing my dissatisfaction over the poor service ... we will see if I get any response.

I've got a friend who works for a none-WOS Rolex/multi brand. He says if a customer walks in to enquire about Rolex, the sales staff cannot try to persuade you over to Omega/Breitling etc. If you were a secret shopper and they did, severe negative score.

But I'm full agreement that your experience was naff and I think you did the right thing. Won't be long before Subs are in the window again, for sale.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Smacks of a dairy farmer refusing to buy milk from Asda anymore because the checkout lad didnt engage him in a chat about cattle.

Master
    I'm sure it won't make a blind bit of difference all the time there is a long queue of people standing behind me willing to buy ...

My issue is not with the lack of availability it is with the poor service experienced.

For me being treated so poorly just puts a sour taste over the whole experience and so I no longer want the watch even if they offered me one now at a discount ... a watch for me is a significant purchase usually associated with some sort of personal milestone and becomes attached to that ... if the process of buying is so negative then the whole ownership experience is tainted so I'll pass on it.

I have pinged the CEO an email expressing my dissatisfaction over the poor service ... we will see if I get any response.
    Was this WoS Group ?

At what point did you get poor service, you asked a question and was given an answer. Was the sales person rude? Did he refuse to serve you? Did he insult you?

It does seems as if you are cutting your nose off to spite your face (assuming you really want the watch)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th February 2024 at 15:12.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    At what point did you get poor service, you asked a question and was given an answer. Was the sales person rude? Did he refuse to serve you? Did he insult you?

It does seems as if you are shooting your nose off to spite your face (assuming you really want the watch)
    I have had 3 disappointing visits in a row ...

1) Visited the shop to try a watch which was generally available but not in stock at the time and asked to be called when they got one in, they never called so I bough elsewhere.
    2) Then visited to enquire about the wait list progress about a year ago ... it was all the sales person could do to drag their gaze from their mobile only to fob me off then return to their phone ...
    3) Today just the bare minimum ...

I'm trying to spend about £9k on a trinket ... as a minimum I would expect some interest and engagement from the seller ...

Either way I don't want it any more so who cares, someone else will buy it.

I'm just amazed that they can treat customers with such little interest ... there was no-one else in the store and probably 6 staff or more ... they could have invited me to try some other watches on which may have piqued my interest ... but no.

Grand Master
    You want to buy a watch or have your head patted!

When I get the call I grab the watch and go. No small talk, no coffees, just swipe the card and GTF.
    RIAC

Were you wearing a cheap Seiko at the time of your visit? I find it works wonders when I want people to ignore me ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You want to buy a watch or have your head patted!

When I get the call I grab the watch and go. No small talk, no coffees, just swipe the card and GTF.
    The call never comes so the narrative is that you keep in touch with the AD ... they actually suggested I called in every now and then to check progress.

They even summonsed me a while back to produce some sort of ID ...

But if each time I visit they clearly don't want me there then it all gets very tiresome.

Either way I will no longer be engaging in the process and I don't want the watch.

They have had money off me for other brands so I'm not a complete time waster ...

Yeah, not sure I’m with you OP. It’s hardly as if they insulted your missus and told you to jog on.

The guy doesn’t give two ***** about what other watches you have and doesn’t want to talk to you about it. He also didn’t try to flog you something you didn’t ask for, which most people would consider a blessing.

Give me their details, I might seek them out for my future watch purchases!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Yeah, not sure I’m with you OP. It’s hardly as if they insulted your missus and told you to jog on.
    He was on the list for a sub, if it was a GMT pepsi, they would have, laughing and cackling at the back of his head, as he left the store.

I read negative stories about dealing with Rolex ADs all the time and I have to wonder if it’s really worth it all to you who crave one? If I were dead-set on buying a Submariner or Sea Dweller, I’d sidestep the AD and just buy a nice pre-owned example.

Master
    I suspect jewellers don't use mystery shoppers to keep staff on their toes. Rolex retailers have just not had to try for so long that if they're left to their own devices, they'll be exactly as described in this thread.

This isn't just a Rolex thing, it's a general retail one. Shops used to have mature managers who kept an eye on everything and everyone and conspicuous slacking/indifference was addressed. Now it seems endemic to working culture, but is obviously most visible in shops. The exceptions I notice just prove the rule for me.

Grand Master
    We are now at the stage where grey / used is below RRP so they can focus on the brands that keep the roof over their heads and not waste time effort for minimal gain like Rolex
    RIAC

I’m with the OP, if that’s the experience I see no reason to shop there. That said, I wouldn’t give up on the watch, I’d just go elsewhere.

It’s supposed to be a luxury brand AD, they can’t magic up a watch but they should show a vague interest in their customer. The AD near my office was somewhat similar when I went in for a discussion about a Tudor (which was hard-to-get for all of about 5 minutes), dismissive and disinterested. Not been back in for years and I smile wryly at all the Tudor models in the window now. Plenty of other shops to go to. Just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I suspect jewellers don't use mystery shoppers to keep staff on their toes. Rolex retailers have just not had to try for so long that if they're left to their own devices, they'll be exactly as described in this thread.

This isn't just a Rolex thing, it's a general retail one. Shops used to have mature managers who kept an eye on everything and everyone and conspicuous slacking/indifference was addressed. Now it seems endemic to working culture, but is obviously most visible in shops. The exceptions I notice just prove the rule for me.
    It would be Rolex sending the mystery shoppers in this scenario, to check retailers were sticking to the contractual terms. No idea if they do it though. When I worked for a big auto manufacturer we certainly sent mystery shoppers to dealerships multiple times a year, only way to have any idea what’s going on and enforce the terms.

Journeyman
    I had a poor experience at the Rolex shop in Glasgow. Member of staff doing nothing, I asked if I could try on one of the not for sale watches. Her reply was that no-one was available ! Tip of my tongue to say something but didn't. They had no interest and i certainly won't be buying anything from them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It would be Rolex sending the mystery shoppers in this scenario, to check retailers were sticking to the contractual terms. No idea if they do it though. When I worked for a big auto manufacturer we certainly sent mystery shoppers to dealerships multiple times a year, only way to have any idea what’s going on and enforce the terms.
    I'm not even focusing on contractual issues, just the standard of customer service which every retailer should be monitoring to some extent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Smacks of a dairy farmer refusing to buy milk from Asda anymore because the checkout lad didnt engage him in a chat about cattle.
    Priceless C, just priceless

Steve

I'm off to buy a bag of nails tomorrow.
    Will I need to gen up on my joinery small talk for the sales staff?
    I'm starting to get a bit worried now.

These analogies are plain stupid. I understand exactly what the OP meant and he’s quite right.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th February 2024 at 20:51.

Surprised people are championing crap service!

Master
    Popped into Breguet many years ago in Bond St. I said from the off having walked over the threshold that I could in no way afford any of their watches, but may I just look at the...(can't remember)...tourbillon/ moonphase complication, whatever. I walked out of the shop many, many minutes later having been invited to try on half a dozen or so Breguet pieces, some at eye watering prices.To top it off, I was given a little goody bag of Breguet literature to send me on my way.
    Exemplary service, & if I ever come into loads of dosh, I will repay that kindness by purchasing a Breguet.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see the OP point of view, but didn't seem like he was rude, more in a job he doesn't feel enthusiastic about on that day.

Journeyman
    Good for you I say!

Grand Master
    Priceless, comedy genius! Love the analogy even though my opinion sways towards the OP’s point of view.

Spending £9k on a watch should involve more sense of occasion than buying milk at Asda, sadly some ADs are totally overlooking this and treating buyers with indifference.

I’ve come across car salesmen with a similar poor attitude towards customers, usually mid-late 20-somethings in ill-fitting suits who couldn’t afford to buy the stuff they’re selling.

Why would a dairy farmer be buying milk from ASDA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Why would a dairy farmer be buying milk from ASDA?
    Because the supermarkets have screwed him so hard on price, it's actually cheaper for him?

EDIT: Or her
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 28th February 2024 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Were you wearing a cheap Seiko at the time of your visit? I find it works wonders when I want people to ignore me ;)
    I wore cheaper than cheap Seiko last time I collected a £22k Rolex. The guy asked if he could take a photo of it with intention to order one for himself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    My AD, well not really my AD, but the one that holds my expression of interest have been in contact, but to extol the virtues of their "certified pre-owned" Rolex :(

D
    Ah yes, no normal stock but twice the price pre-owned sh!t. Bending over…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I wore cheaper than cheap Seiko last time I collected a £22k Rolex. The guy asked if he could take a photo of it with intention to order one for himself.
    And that's good customer service as he's complimenting your taste, whether he really thought it was a minger or not.

And that's good customer service as he's complimenting your taste, whether he really thought it was a minger or not.
    That as well, but my cheapie is really really good

Master
    That as well, but my cheapie is really really good
    Don't doubt it. My skx is a joy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

Don't doubt it. My skx is a joy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
    No no. Not even a Seiko. Just the £12 movement inside. H.G.P. Mecaquartz.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You may mock if you wish but buying a £9k watch to mark my impending retirement is a big deal for me and I expect a bit of effort from the vendor.

This view is based on the compound effect of 3 indifferent visits. Keep in mind that they requested I kept in touch during the wait even requiring me to visit with ID at one point.

Anyway, it’s sucked all the joy out of the process so I’m not playing the game any further.

Master
    Sorry, I misread your original post.

Master
    You may mock if you wish but buying a £9k watch to mark my impending retirement is a big deal for me and I expect a bit of effort from the vendor.

This view is based on the compound effect of 3 indifferent visits. Keep in mind that they requested I kept in touch during the wait even requiring me to visit with ID at one point.

Anyway, it’s sucked all the joy out of the process so I’m not playing the game any further.
    Get a barely used black Seamaster for £3k and feel just as rewarded. The extra £6k can be enjoyed in a myriad of ways. :-)

Should have specified in my original post, apologies.