closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ranulph Fiennes - what a man!

Ranulph Fiennes - what a man!

Went to an evening with Sir Ranulph last week - jeez, what a man and what a life!. Fascinating tales about his life and his exploits - great speaker for his age. Awarded the title of 'Greatest Living Explorer' by the Guiness Book of Records - I now understand better why this accolade was bestowed. He is on tour currently and well worth a couple of hours of escapism.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Think I’ll see where he’s going

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well worth going to see this remarkable man. I went to see him a couple of years ago. Ex SAS and tough as hell, but well spoken.

I saw him speak some years ago and give a presentation at a military Combat Survival & Rescue (CSRO), now known as Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape/Extract (SERE) symposium in 1993. Amazing character.

To the OP, did he tell the story of why he was kicked out of the SAS? Brilliant story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I saw him speak some years ago and give a presentation at a military Combat Survival & Rescue (CSRO), now known as Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape/Extract (SERE) symposium in 1993. Amazing character.

To the OP, did he tell the story of why he was kicked out of the SAS? Brilliant story.
    He did, along with many others!

We also caught him last week. Very entertaining and covered a hell of a lot of his life in a couple of hours. I loved the tale about them only getting two minutes of solar charge for the SW radio whilst polar trekking in 1982, hearing that Britain was at war but not catching who with, and 'naturally assuming that it was France'.

It was lovely to hear a lot about Ginny as well.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    We also caught him last week. Very entertaining and covered a hell of a lot of his life in a couple of hours. I loved the tale about them only getting two minutes of solar charge for the SW radio whilst polar trekking in 1982, hearing that Britain was at war but not catching who with, and 'naturally assuming that it was France'.

It was lovely to hear a lot about Ginny as well.
    100% - very enjoyable evening.

RF amputated his own frost-bitten fingertips with an electric fretsaw.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I enjoyed his book 'The Featherman.' Its a work of fiction but it does make you wonder if there are bits of real life in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I enjoyed his book 'The Featherman.' Its a work of fiction but it does make you wonder if there are bits of real life in it.
    Fiennes has described his novels as "factional", it's a great read either way.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master

Returning from Everest in 2005 after abandoning due to his heart. A truly genuine great man 100%
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    This thread made me visit his Wiki page. 'Colouful' is an understatement. Like the OP, I would spend time to see him irl talking about his adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Returning from Everest in 2005 after abandoning due to his heart. A truly genuine great man 100%
    I was lucky enought to spend 3 weeks with Ran in 2008 during his second Everest attempt. I worked for a company that sponsored Kenton Cool (his guide) and got to fufill a lifelong dream of trekking to Everest Base Camp and living there for a few days.

He's a great man with tons of stories and is genuinley interested in what others have to say or done. Very funny, also we taught him how to play UNO. He can't shuffle cards due to losing his fingers but he found that if he looked at one of the other players for long enough they would do it for him

He was always on the 'cadge' for an extra sponsor, so we had some fun in the photos covering up each other's logos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnboy9876; 26th February 2024 at 09:00.

Really nice bloke.
    Was a neighbour of mine for five years a few years ago.
    Would jog past every day he was home and would jog on the spot as we talked over the gate.
    Would kindly give us multiple signed copies of his books for a colleague’s burns ward charity auctions.