closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz - battery saving mode?

Master

Quartz - battery saving mode?

I keep meaning to ask this. I have a heuer 1000 quartz which I wear some weekends, not all. When I put it on it has always stopped but after a couple of minutes it is ticking away quite merrily and once set it runs fine whilst I am wearing it.
    I wasn't aware there was any sort of battery saving mode that sensed use, it's almost like an auto, runs when you wear it but then stops. I assumed quartz stuff runs or stops depending on the battery level.
    I imagine I just need a battery but it keeps doing this so I thought I'd check.

I don't know how old it is and whether it's ever had any maintenance, but maybe it needs servicing. It could be, for example, that the lubricants are degraded and without heat and movement on the wrist the sticky resistance becomes too much for the stepper motor to overcome.

Craftsman
    I have a couple of series 2000's which are probably around the same age give or take.

They are quartz, but I've never noticed them stopping and then starting when I've worn them.

My black faced version, is however ticking every 5 seconds rather than 1 second, indicating the battery is low and will need to be replaced.

Master
    Possibly contacts corroded?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    I have a couple of series 2000's which are probably around the same age give or take.

They are quartz, but I've never noticed them stopping and then starting when I've worn them.

My black faced version, is however ticking every 5 seconds rather than 1 second, indicating the battery is low and will need to be replaced.
    That's a good point, I'd forgotten about the 5 sec jump. So sounds like it is a bit manky inside so will need a bit of attention and then a new battery to be sure. Thanks for that and the other points.
    I shall get it looked at.
    And if someone could find me a heuer clasped (even a tag one at a push) black, pvd 18mm jubilee bracelet that would be even better. Actually I have end pieces and several links so need a few more and the clasp.

Assuming it’s still got the original 536.121 movement, it won’t have a low battery indicator.

Likelihood is that it needs a clean and lube; starting & stopping is typical with these movements if they need some attention.

They’re pretty straightforward to service.

^this

Grand Master
    Never ceases to amaze me that folks expect a 30+ year old watch to keep running regardless, expressing surprise when it doesn’t!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me that folks expect a 30+ year old watch to keep running regardless, expressing surprise when it doesn’t!
    I don't even consider a 30 year-old watch "vintage" yet. Maybe "veteran."