closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden fence panel installation - advice needed please

Garden fence panel installation - advice needed please

Calling on the TZ hive mind for your experience and advice.

After the recent storms my garden fence needs replacing. I'm also getting a Border Terrier in the summer so I'll need a fence that the dog won't be able to dig under.

I like the modern look of slatted fence panels with galvanised steel posts - but they may not be the best option for keeping the dog safe.

Is there a particular type of fence panel/post that I should be considering? I need a secure fence that can withstand the wind and prevent any great escapes.

Thanks All.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 25th February 2024 at 11:32.

First thing I would do - is google-image for some broad ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...h=700&dpr=1.25

Make sure you have pre-treated fence posts socketed into concrete. For simplicity - try to get the new posts close to old ones, and chop the old posts off and leave them.

Personally don’t think you can beat concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and slotted fence panels. The panels will least years but if in need of replacement they are £20 odd quid a panel. The concrete posts and gravel boards will last a lifetime. Do it once and do it properly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are worried aboutthe dog digging a ‘great escape’ countersink concrete kick boards which will also keep any wooden panels off the wet ground

I think you are overestimating the capabilities of a dog.

If there is a gap, it’ll slide under, but it’s not going to be digging away from its food.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recently went for concrete posts and concrete kick boards,keeps our terrier from digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Personally don’t think you can beat concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and slotted fence panels. The panels will least years but if in need of replacement they are £20 odd quid a panel. The concrete posts and gravel boards will last a lifetime. Do it once and do it properly.
    My neighbour put a section of 6ft panels at the top of our garden using concrete posts. During the first winter with high winds, every concrete post broke and only the rebar prevented the fence from collapsing fully. Each post now has an angled support post to stop it happening again.

The moral is, if you live in a very windy place, don’t go too high and use panels that allow some of the wind to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My neighbour put a section of 6ft panels at the top of our garden using concrete posts. During the first winter with high winds, every concrete post broke and only the rebar prevented the fence from collapsing fully. Each post now has an angled support post to stop it happening again.

The moral is, if you live in a very windy place, don’t go too high and use panels that allow some of the wind to pass through.
    Wow, I’ve never experienced a concrete post breaking in the wind. My fence has stood up to some rough weather and never missed a beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what I did but make sure your panels are good quality, lots of cheapies about, never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I think you are overestimating the capabilities of a dog.

If there is a gap, it’ll slide under, but it’s not going to be digging away from its food.
    Agreed, my parents always had border terriers and they never tried to escape.

The concrete posts and gravel boards will last a lifetime. Do it once and do it properly.
    Concrete posts are ugly. Use good quality pressure treated wooden posts sat in concrete. Ensure there is concrete at the base so water cannot wick from the soil below.

Then shape the concrete in the surface at an angle so water runs away from the post. Ensure no soil surrounds the posts and they will last outlast you.

Master
    Same here - you can always sink part of the gravel board below the surface to deter him from burrowing - 9’ concrete post - 1foot concrete gravel board and 5’ close board fence
    They won’t be £20 a panel though - get something decient ( about£40 a panel)
    Did this when I moved it ( shed now replace and top end patioed)
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 25th February 2024 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Same here - you can always sink part of the gravel board below the surface to deter him from burrowing - 9’ concrete post - 1foot concrete gravel board and 5’ close board fence
    Same fence as mine and string as an ox. I was probably way off on the panel prices, did mine 5 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Jackson fencing. Everything else is cardboard by comparison. You get what you pay for.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/

Master
    Obviously goes without saying you’ll need a fully qualified fence erector to install it

Obviously goes without saying you’ll need a fully qualified fence erector to install it
    Even for the DIY incompetent like myself, fencing is a piece of p1ss.

As long as you can dig a hole, pour a bag of postcrete in the hole, use a spirit level and follow a piece of string.

Just take me twice as long as someone you pay to do it.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful!

I like the look of these Venetian Hit and Miss panels but there are downsides:
    - they are a premium price range
    - they would need wooden fence posts and gravel boards

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/f...n-hit-and-miss

Should be strong enough to withstand an escapist Terrier I hope?

Craftsman
    Have you considered composite boards/panels aligns with composite posts?

Although they do cost a bit more initially, there’s no extra cost for fence stain, which has to be reapplied every few years as well as the time it takes. Any dirt can simply be jet washed off. It’s a fit and forget experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've installed a number of fences over the last 3 years and by far the best was the Jackson's one. It was a 25metre run on both sides of a large garden

Yes, it's expensive but their 'H' shaped posts are fantastic and I think the finished look is great because its a complete system. I used Spax Stainless steel screws for all of my fencing jobs as they last very well

As noTAGlove has said ensure that you slope the concrete up the post just above ground level to prevent the post being saturated over a period of time (this is why most timber posts rot and snap)

Easily strong enough to prevent canine escape attempts

I don't think you need to worry (to the point of spending real money) about your dog digging under the fence.
    1) many terrier never even dig (my Irish certainly doesn't!)
    2) they don't run away either except possibly when your neighbour walks his bitch in heat by your garden (no, I don't mean his wife )
    3) if you see any sign of him starting to dig, you'll just need to lay down a foot of chickenwire on the ground against your fence for a couple of months and you'll be fine
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Concrete posts are ugly.

"Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve done plenty of fencing over the years and I’d say materials are not as good as they were.

Posts just don’t last as long and if I were doing another one I’d go for concrete posts even though they look a bit industrial.

This fence was only 6 years in when the posts failed. I was expecting a much longer life. I installed spurs on the failed posts which was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    This fence was only 6 years in when the posts failed. I was expecting a much longer life.
    I can’t tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like the fence post is in contact with the soil. If so, they will rot very quickly.

Secret is to ensure that concrete that encases the wooden post sits above the soil and slopes to ensure water is drained away from the post.

If done properly, and you have good quality posts, they will outlive you.

We have exactly this kind of fence and a border terrier and can confirm she has not escaped yet. She does spend hours on end sniffing at any tiny air gaps between the concrete and the bottom of the fence panels though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I've installed a number of fences over the last 3 years and by far the best was the Jackson's one. It was a 25metre run on both sides of a large garden

Yes, it's expensive but their 'H' shaped posts are fantastic and I think the finished look is great because its a complete system. I used Spax Stainless steel screws for all of my fencing jobs as they last very well

As noTAGlove has said ensure that you slope the concrete up the post just above ground level to prevent the post being saturated over a period of time (this is why most timber posts rot and snap)

Easily strong enough to prevent canine escape attempts
    I’m installing Jackson’s fencing on one side of our garden this spring.
    I haven’t yet decided whether I’m using their metal posts or timber ones (guaranteed for 25 years aginst rot) I think. I don’t want concrete posts or gravel boards as I don’t think their very attractive.
    My gardens very exposed to wind so I’m installing hit and miss panels which in theory lets some of the wind through as it blows.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can’t tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like the fence post is in contact with the soil. If so, they will rot very quickly.

Secret is to ensure that concrete that encases the wooden post sits above the soil and slopes to ensure water is drained away from the post.

Even when you do that moisture gets at them over time via the gravel boards and runs down the posts.

I’ve had fences last a long time and I think material quality is lower now.

Next time it’s concrete posts, or put the spurs in from the start with wooden posts as retro fitting them is a pain.

Given you favour plastic grass I’m surprised you’d not go concrete.
    Last edited by Montello; 25th February 2024 at 18:41.

Given you favour plastic grass I’m surprised you’d not go concrete.
    Not favoured. The consequence of an easterly garden overlooked by southerly trees.

Master
    Just in the process of the this — we’ve gone for concrete H posts and uPvc boards (concrete gravel board for the first course) The composite boards are a nicer finish, but double the cost. Ive about 50m to do, so the uPvc will do well.

Master
    Even for the DIY incompetent like myself, fencing is a piece of p1ss.

As long as you can dig a hole, pour a bag of postcrete in the hole, use a spirit level and follow a piece of string.

Just take me twice as long as someone you pay to do it.
    Tongue in cheek comment

Master
    In the old days you’d have stood them in creosote for a few hours

They’ll still rot in time…timber and being outside to the elements. They always do. This is through 33 years of experience in the landscape sector, if that counts for anything.

As an aside, concrete posts still eventually crumble away, expose the metal reinforcing which then rusts, and posts eventually weaken/snap. Just takes a lot longer.

Done lots of horizontal batten fences, using pre made panels, Jackson’s et al, but I personally think expensive for what they were. Most is made from components, and battens anything from treated tile batten, Larch, or Western red Cedar, which has gone up silly amounts 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    They’ll still rot in time
    It is the <in time> bit you want to maximise. Nothing lasts forever.

But I bow to your proper experience over my DIY mucking about.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ... my DIY mucking about.
    I'd be interested to see a photo of how you have fashioned the concrete at the bottom of the post, how do you get the gravel boards to butt the post without a gap below if you have a cone of concrete at the bottom and how do you stop the water running down the post when it rains???

Also, the postcrete is self levelling so how do you create the "cone"?

I'd be interested to see a photo of how you have fashioned the concrete at the bottom of the post, how do you get the gravel boards to butt the post without a gap below if you have a cone of concrete at the bottom and how do you stop the water running down the post when it rains???

I use gravel at the bottom of the post to ensure it is not touching the soil. Then fill with postcrete.

I put the gravel board in before the next post.

You can get the concrete quite think and fashion it with a falling slope.

It is the <in time> bit you want to maximise. Nothing lasts forever.

But I bow to your proper experience over my DIY mucking about.
    I wouldn't quite have said it’s a piece of piss, but yes, post hole grabbers, long reach spade, brick line and level, and yes, you are quite correct it’s not hard….

Indeed, everything has its time.

I use gravel at the bottom of the post to ensure it is not touching the soil. Adjust the height of gravel to get the post height you need. Then fill with postcrete.

I don’t have gravel boards, but imagine you put it the gravel board with a single post already set, and then butt it up to the new post you are adding. But, hey it is DIY mucking about for me.

You can get the concrete a quite thick constituency and fashion it with a falling slope.

Recent fence is Jacksons. Other part of fence I did a while back with my neighbour and it is constructed so we both have the facing panels with the posts hidden inside.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 28th February 2024 at 15:05.

Concrete posts with 30% of their length buried.
    No need for gravel boards, as long as you're not piling soil/earth against the panels.
    Support panels on half bricks every few feet, just enough to keep them off the ground.
    Expensive branded panels are not cost effective, expect 15 years from ordinary panels providing you treat them every few years.
    Panels are cheap enough to simply slide out and replace for next to nothing.
    And providing you shop around look every bit as good too.

As has been mentioned - go composite - it's a fit and forget solution if you intend being there long-term.

Wood panels sagging/breaking and needing coated every few years is a real PITA.