closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mint watches apart from lug nibbles, :(

Mint watches apart from lug nibbles, :(

It surprises me (and disappoints) how many watches that would be immaculate otherwise if it wasn't for nibbles on the rear of lugs due to strap changes, such a shame, why don't guys learn to change a strap/bracelet properly or nip the watch into an AD or watchmaker ?

One of the main things is being able to see what you are doing, I wear these clip on three times magnification glasses and find they really help my old eyes :)

Master
    In my experience, watchmakers and ADs are no better. I’ve seen watches come back from Rolex with nibbles at the front of the lugs.

As long as there are no deep gouges, surface scratches from strap changes to the backs of lugs don’t bother me.

Agree with you Tiger ,invest and use correct gear, magnify if necessary and tape up.

But I disagree re AD’s they are in the main butchers, when buying new I wont even let them take a link out let alone trust them gouging out a spring bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

As long as there are no deep gouges, surface scratches from strap changes to the backs of lugs don’t bother me.
    I agree, if minor marks bothered me I would buy new.

If you want watches that haven't interacted with other humans, why are you buying used?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    It surprises me (and disappoints) how many watches that would be immaculate otherwise if it wasn't for nibbles on the rear of lugs due to strap changes, such a shame, why don't guys learn to change a strap/bracelet properly or nip the watch into an AD or watchmaker ?

One of the main things is being able to see what you are doing, I wear these clip on three times magnification glasses and find they really help my old eyes :)

Alternatively you could stop being anal about a couple of marks on the lugs of watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you want watches that haven't interacted with other humans, why are you buying used?
    Exactly. It amazes me how many buyers want a mint, unused example for 60% of the AD prices.

It's called used for a reason. As careful as many are, there'll always be marks here and there as the years go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    IMO there is quite a difference between normal wear and tear which I don't mind at all and expect on a used watch than downright clumsy poor workmanship by some one who just hacks at the spring bar.

Could it be anal expecting strap changes to have been done correctly ? I wouldent have thought so but I suppose to some it could be but hey ho :)

Despite reading plenty of advice, taping the lugs and using a good quality Bergeon spring bar tool, I managed to scratch quite a few lugs when I first got into this hobby.

I’m quite anal about my watches and hate to scratch them, so I no longer change straps. All my watches are either worn on the bracelet they came on when new, or are on a Nato. Either way I don’t have to worry about scratching my lugs.

I can see where you are coming from.

Yes, we can add marks to a case at any time with general wear. These things happen and they can't be avoided.

Strap changing marks underneath lugs can be very easily avoided with the correct tape and correct technique, with a little patience thrown in too.

The problem is only a real issue when marks on the underside of lugs are in the vicinity of important references. The perfect example is a new Speedmaster 3861 where the serial number, motif and stainless steel information is denoted under the lugs. The laser etched information is only applied lightly.
    Last edited by j111dja; 24th February 2024 at 19:11.

I find spring bars go rogue, no matter how good the technique, and how careful the taping. They can expand out and get under your taping. I no longer remove any bracelet. I have a watch that lives permanently on a NATO.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I find spring bars go rogue, no matter how good the technique, and how careful the taping. They can expand out and get under your taping. I no longer remove any bracelet. I have a watch that lives permanently on a NATO.

D

Spring bars can expand and get under the tape if you use the wrong tape. I use polyimide protection tape. It has never ever failed me, whether it be under lugs while fitting a bracelet, or protecting (so masking) areas of a bracelet during refinishing. It's brilliant stuff and it comes in different widths.
    Last edited by j111dja; 24th February 2024 at 19:40.

I also have polyimide tape, but am unlikely to use it for lug protection! I used the tape last for protecting my old Tudor bracelet when I resized it.

I’ve had the blighters get under blue electrical tape, and 3M magic tape.

I find that for watches that best suit bracelets, which are my Rolex and GS, they stay on the bracelet.

D

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I also have polyimide tape, but am unlikely to use it for lug protection! I used the tape last for protecting my old Tudor bracelet when I resized it.

Why not? Polyimide tape is perfect for protecting lugs during bracelet (or strap) fitting and removal. Spring bars are not going to get under this tape. The other tapes you mentioned, then yes they will.
    Last edited by j111dja; 24th February 2024 at 20:15.

I’m happy with the watches on bracelets, and if I need a NATO fix then the Tudor Sub in on NATO. If I need a leather fix then Panerai has me covered :)

D

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I agree, if minor marks bothered me I would buy new.
    This all day. No one sees the marks and they can be buffed out if you're totally anal.

I take the majority view, for me it’s almost impossible to change straps without marking the back of the lugs. Sure I can buy loupes and countless tools and use tape and say three Hail Marys and make a blood sacrifice to Cthulhu but ultimately, it’s fair wear and tear. If watchmakers and ADs can’t do it perfectly, every time, then it can’t be that easy. So I just relax and embrace the Wabi. It’s not something I’ll see when the watch is on the wrist, so it doesn’t bother me. I take reasonable care but have bought watches which are a bit gouged too.

Again, as others have said, if you want something without marks, buy new. If you want to hold on to maximum retention for your watch, then maybe don’t change the strap, but also make sure the bracelet is covered by your sleeve at all times and you only take glancing looks at the time for no more than 3 seconds before tucking the watch back behind the cuff of your shirt.

Its perhaps worth considering that if previous owners were a little ham fisted when changing straps/bracelets how were they in general looking after there watch ? for example if it was a screw down crown did they just ram it on or take care to seat the crown properly before screwing it down ? I have had quite a few watches come through my hands with damaged case tubes or crowns.

At the end of the day a couple of minor strap changing marks shouldent really matter but I bet the marks have put some buyers off.

I did see a watch for sale with drilled lugs which had marks all around the hole on the out side of the case!! I felt for the owners partner :)

Grand Master
    With care and the right basic equipment it should be possible to change straps without marking the lugs in any way. There are ways and means, and buying the most expensive springbar tool isn`t necessarily one of them.

I tape the underside of lugs as a safeguard and I recommend doing so. Good lighting and a proper magnifier are essential.

As with all things, practice makes perfect. However, I`ve come to the conclusion that some folks are simply too ham-fisted and clumsy to work with small items.........god help 'em!