closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chronograph second hand moves off 12 when watch is knocked

Master

Chronograph second hand moves off 12 when watch is knocked

Hi folks,

My zenith pilot big date flyback chronograph second hand moves off 12 o’clock when the watch takes a knock. The bigger the knock the more it moves. Resets fine and works fine. Is this normal for chronographs? It’s my first chronograph complication watch.

Cheers

Stuart

Definitely not normal, if it's under warranty I'd return it.

Sent from a technical device

Master
    Sounds like the pinion or the pipe is loose. Zenith should sort that quickly under warranty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No not normal.

Master
    Balls. Have contacted zenith. Will await a response.

Grand Master
    Disagree with most of the comments.

Think about it, how can the hand be loose on its pinion if it resets correctly? Makes no sense.

I’m not familiar with the movement, but generally when the chrono hand is reset to zero the reset hammer remains in contact with the heart- shaped cam this retaining it in position. Thus des not apply to some quartz movements.

The fact that the hand resets correctly to zero suggests strongly that there is nothing wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree with most of the comments.

Think about it, how can the hand be loose on its pinion if it resets correctly? Makes no sense.

I’m not familiar with the movement, but generally when the chrono hand is reset to zero the reset hammer remains in contact with the heart- shaped cam this retaining it in position. Thus des not apply to some quartz movements.

The fact that the hand resets correctly to zero suggests strongly that there is nothing wrong.
    Interesting, keen to see what zenith come back with.

Master
    I had an inkling when I clicked on this thread that it would concern a Zenith. The chrono second hand on my Tipo CP2 is not rock solid in that regard.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I had an inkling when I clicked on this thread that it would concern a Zenith. The chrono second hand on my Tipo CP2 is not rock solid in that regard.
    Interesting. Does a similar thing when knocked?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Interesting. Does a similar thing when knocked?
    Well I'm not sure about that exactly - I do baby my watches - but it's not very good at staying rigidly at 12 and I think I've read of others having this issue with Zeniths.

Master
    Small update. Stuart Lord who is the customer service chap for Zenith in the U.K. called today. Due to the issues I have had Zenith will be making me a new watch as a replacement for mine (not sending me one ‘off the shelf’).

More importantly they wish to keep mine, investigate the issue, undertake any remedial work and apply that to other watches including the one I will be sent. They have also said they would like to arrange a video call with a watch maker and designer that worked on the new pilot watches to talk through the design and movement! That’s a nice touch.

Things go wrong, it is how they are managed that determines how you feel about the company. Stuart has been superb regardless but Zentih seem to be stepping up too which is great to see.

Master
    Small update. Stuart Lord who is the customer service chap for Zenith in the U.K. called today. Due to the issues I have had Zenith will be making me a new watch as a replacement for mine (not sending me one ‘off the shelf’).

More importantly they wish to keep mine, investigate the issue, undertake any remedial work and apply that to other watches including the one I will be sent. They have also said they would like to arrange a video call with a watch maker and designer that worked on the new pilot watches to talk through the design and movement! That’s a nice touch.

Things go wrong, it is how they are managed that determines how you feel about the company. Stuart has been superb regardless but Zentih seem to be stepping up too which is great to see.
    That is superb even by Stuart's lofty standards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    That is superb even by Stuart's lofty standards.
    Blown away to be honest. Certainly makes me hold the brand in higher regard than I already did. Stuart has a good part to play in that.

Master
    Blown away to be honest. Certainly makes me hold the brand in higher regard than I already did. Stuart has a good part to play in that.
    A while ago I decided I wanted either a Zenith and a JLC, both manufacturers whose aesthetic and pedigree etc I really liked. I like chronos, so Zenith, nuff said. And JLC have always seemed a lot of horological bang per buck. But both also seem a bit flakey. Time on here yielded multiple horror stories about JLC servicing, along with stories like this about Zenith, mostly concerning Stuart. So I bought a Tipo CP2 (on here, from the redoubtable j111dja), which I love, consoled that when it needs attention (now, probably, given that it's running at about +8 per day, though it pretty much always has) I can email Stuart rather than wandering into a JLC boutique wondering when I will see the watch again and whether my credit card limit will cover the outcome.

Master
    Wow, that's exceptional service. Never had a Zenith, time to start considering one I feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Wow, that's exceptional service. Never had a Zenith, time to start considering one I feel.
    I think that’s it. This sort of customer service makes me want more watches from the brand. Especially as there are others designs that really appeal to me.

Master
    I think that’s it. This sort of customer service makes me want more watches from the brand. Especially as there are others designs that really appeal to me.
    That's how it should be for anything high end. And that's also why I'd never consider Rolex.

When spending a small fortune on a watch, one needs to feel that there won't be an 'abandonment' if something goes wrong or just needs sorting.

Grand Master
    Whilst everyone's praising Zenith I 'll remind you all that LVMH started to restrict supply of Zenith and TAG parts from September 2023. Prior to this it was possible for Indy repairers to order parts directly, now they've gone the same way as most others by only supplying parts to repairers who get their accreditation, which involves jumping through too many (expensive) hoops.

Enjoy the warm feeling when having to pay significantly more to get these watches serviced in the future.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 4th March 2024 at 17:12.

Hi folks,

My zenith pilot big date flyback chronograph second hand moves off 12 o’clock when the watch takes a knock. The bigger the knock the more it moves. Resets fine and works fine. Is this normal for chronographs? It’s my first chronograph complication watch.

Cheers

Stuart
    Just a quick question, but why does the watch keep taking knocks?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whilst everyone's praising Zenith I 'll remind you all that LVMH started to restrict supply of Zenith and TAG parts from September 2023. Prior to this it was possible for Indy repairers to order parts directly, now they've gone the same way as most others by only supplying parts to repairers who get their accreditation, which involves jumping through too many (expensive) hoops.

Enjoy the warm feeling when having to pay significantly more to get these watches serviced in the future.
    In fairness if Stuno's experience with Zenith customer service is anything to go by then I think it's probably worth going with them for repairs and servicing.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Europe has someone like Stuart Lord? I have Stuart’s number on speed dial but now I live outside UK not sure how useful that is.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

Personally I have issue paying for great service but understand the sentiment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just a quick question, but why does the watch keep taking knocks?
    It doesn’t. I knocked it on a wooden door frame and not hard at all. Then, gently tapping the watch on the palm of my hand also made the second hand move off the 12 o’clock marker.