closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noise Cancelling Headphones

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Morning all,

Looking to get some noise cancelling headphones. I would be using them to block out noise on flights and train journeys, but also listening to music/podcasts etc.

Looks like Sony and Bose are the main contenders? I did look at the AirPod Max, but seems to a bit overpriced vs the competition?

For those Bose and Sony offerings, are the top end ones worth paying more for, or are the mid range good enough?

I noticed JL had £50 off these https://www.johnlewis.com/bose-quiet...ack/p110950051 Bose ones and £69 off these Sony MX4s? https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-wh-10...emote/p5100480

Anything else I should be looking at?
    Many thanks

Joe

I'm on my second set of Bose QC earphones. Both were/are very lightly used, maybe 8 times a year.

The first pair went back under warranty after one ear suddenly stopped working, apparently it was not uncommon. As for the second pair, I have recently had to replace the plastic part of the on/off slider as it broke. That can't be that uncommon either as you can easily buy aftermarket 3D printed replacements online.

I only use my Bose for travel, so when they do break it is very inconvenient.

I bought my Son some Sony NC headphones about four years ago. He uses them heavily and has not reported any problems.

Thanks Matt - that’s very useful information.

I must try and resist the marketing lure of Bose and Apple 😀

John Lewis have the Bose QC45 at £189. These are very good. I have a couple of pairs of Bose. An older set of QC35s that are still fantastic. Great sound. I’ve just changed the ear pads on them which was very cheap and easy. I also have the Bose ones in the link you posted. The Sony ones are as good but I prefer button controls rather than touch slider controls which I think the Sony’s have. I also use mine for Teams work calls. Comfortable and a good microphone.

Forgot to add. The QC35s are around five years old. Used heavily (4 or 5 time a week) and are still going strong. Never had a problem. Can’t comment on the newer ones in terms on longevity but the build quality appears to be as good….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    John Lewis have the Bose QC45 at £189. These are very good. I have a couple of pairs of Bose. An older set of QC35s that are still fantastic. Great sound. I’ve just changed the ear pads on them which was very cheap and easy. I also have the Bose ones in the link you posted. The Sony ones are as good but I prefer button controls rather than touch slider controls which I think the Sony’s have. I also use mine for Teams work calls. Comfortable and a good microphone.
    Did you use Bose pads or aftermarket ones as mine need changing.

Bought my BOSE QC35's back in 2016 when they first launched, so coming up 8 years, and they are still going strong. Might need to change the ear cushions late this year as they're showing some wear - but they're still as comfortable as the day I got them, just don't look as nice now.

Tried the Sony's and there was little difference in sound quality or noice cancellation, but the BOSE were way more comfortable; especially on a long journey/flight.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I have some Bose nc700 which I bought when amazon had them at £169 a few years back- they are great for the price I paid very comfortable - not sure I’d pay the current price for them compared to other options at that price point.

For the gym I recently bought some soundcore q45 for around £100 and I have to say for the money they more than hold there own, the build quality isn’t as good as Bose, Sony etc but they are about 1/3 the price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m also interested in this as my QC35 ones are looking very worn and I’ve been putting off buying replacements as I don’t know which to buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    I’m also interested in this as my QC35 ones are looking very worn and I’ve been putting off buying replacements as I don’t know which to buy.
    Bose ones are £30, friend has recommended a different route which is these: https://amzn.eu/d/i83g7tp

I imagine the softer leather will be more comfortable and hopefully last a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I bought these replacements 20 months ago and they have been fine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748LSF...1_TE_dp_1?th=1
    I dont use the earphones often, but these replacement pads have been comfortable enough on 3hr flights.

These were recommended on here before Xmas, so bought some and they are great.

https://uk.1more.com/products/1more-...ing-headphones

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Have 3 pairs of BOSE QC35's in our family. All heavily used and apart from replacing the ear cushions they've been excellent. Very comfortable when wearing for longer periods, good sound cancelling and sound good to me. Getting a bit long in the tooth now so I'm guessing there's better out there now but they've been great for us.

Master
    Multiple Sony ones in use in our house and they have heavy use and have lasted well. Oldest is used multiple hours per day and is about six years old, other than replacement pads no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I bought these replacements 20 months ago and they have been fine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748LSF...1_TE_dp_1?th=1
    I dont use the earphones often, but these replacement pads have been comfortable enough on 3hr flights.
    Thanks will have a look at those. The current ones flaked all over me on the flight to St Lucia before Xmas & the return journey, know if I don’t get them done the next holiday will be the same black dandruff lol.

Used them to commute on the train pre-covid for 3 months (the original purchase need), but now prefer EarPods in with no music & listening to people revealing far more than they should on a phone in a public place & finding them on LinkedIn for fun. Once a month fun for 25 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments and advice!

I think that I am leaning towards the Sony WH-CH720N at the moment I think. Not as good as the higher end models but a third of the price, so it won’t be too painful when I eventually realise I should have bought the Xm5s 😀. Reviews look decent.

Joe

Craftsman
    I bought QC45’s a few weeks ago but returned them as I didn’t rate them at all. Not sure if my expectations were too high, but they didn’t cancel out nearly as much noise as they should have while on a flight.

I replaced them for XM5’s which are in a different league.

Craftsman
    Hi, I have a pair of Bose QC 35 (or poss 45!) and also a set of Bose QC25 in ear and wired. I found on planes that the over ear dont suppress as much external sound as the QC 25 in ear jobbies, maybe the in ear fit helps rid outside sounds and enables the noise cancelling sortware to be much more efficient. Also they are cheaper and less obvious when wearing them too. Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    I bought QC45’s a few weeks ago but returned them as I didn’t rate them at all. Not sure if my expectations were too high, but they didn’t cancel out nearly as much noise as they should have while on a flight.

I replaced them for XM5’s which are in a different league.
    I have QC45 and used them recently on a intercon flight. Absolutely bloody brilliant. Just shows you it is horses for courses.

I like the bowers and wilkins px7 myself.

The ANC automatically shifts according to ambient noise is a feature i particlarly like
    since ANC does colour the music a little.
    You can set high.low off permantly if required.

Another feature us the microphone pass through button which can be pressed
    immediately if someone asks you a question when you are out and about.

Had Bose 35's and 700's - now have the Apple AirPods Max, which I prefer.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I like the bowers and wilkins px7 myself.

The ANC automatically shifts according to ambient noise is a feature i particlarly like
    since ANC does colour the music a little.
    You can set high.low off permantly if required.

Another feature us the microphone pass through button which can be pressed
    immediately if someone asks you a question when you are out and about.
    I have these also, the sound quality is better than the Sony XM3’s but i’d say the ANC was slightly below to be honest. Not by a great deal but the sound quality more than makes up for it.

Master
    How did I know you would use an abbreviation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    I have these also, the sound quality is better than the Sony XM3’s but i’d say the ANC was slightly below to be honest. Not by a great deal but the sound quality more than makes up for it.
    Cant say i have tried the sonys myself.

They were on my shortlist being a long time admirer of Sony equipment in the past.
    What put me off was that some reviews seem to say they were a bit bass heavy
    and with the kids liking bass bloat these days it kind of put me off them.

It is worth keeping an eye on Hot UK Deals and check your credit card eg Amex have cashback on Bose purchases. Also SC.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Cant say i have tried the sonys myself.

They were on my shortlist being a long time admirer of Sony equipment in the past.
    What put me off was that some reviews seem to say they were a bit bass heavy
    and with the kids liking bass bloat these days it kind of put me off them.
    The Sony app has a great range of equaliser options, you can make them as “un-bassy” as you want.

Craftsman
    I am also in the market for a set of headphones, so thanks to the OP for starting the thread !

For those of you that have wireless/Bluetooth models, is the battery life generally as advertised ? Is the Bluetooth connection reliable ?

Leaning towards Bose QC45 at the moment. Tried some on in John Lewis Southampton at the weekend and they are certainly very comfortable !

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I am also in the market for a set of headphones, so thanks to the OP for starting the thread !

For those of you that have wireless/Bluetooth models, is the battery life generally as advertised ? Is the Bluetooth connection reliable ?

Leaning towards Bose QC45 at the moment. Tried some on in John Lewis Southampton at the weekend and they are certainly very comfortable !
    Bose usually market the QC 45 SE version much cheaper than the non SE version

But what they don’t tell us is what we all know, that the only difference is a soft case and other than that they are identical to QC45s in every way.

Battery and Bluetooth on my 45 SEs are great.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Bose usually market the QC 45 SE version much cheaper than the non SE version

But what they don’t tell us is what we all know, that the only difference is a soft case and other than that they are identical to QC45s in every way.

Battery and Bluetooth on my 45 SEs are great.
    Thanks for the feedback !

Master
    Got myself a pair of QC45 SEs recently and I am impressed by the comfort which is something I often struggle with. The sound is “surprisingly good” and you can adjust a little to your liking with some EQ.

My favourite NC headphones would be the AirPod Pro Max but I found the state of the mesh headband unacceptable after only a year’s use.

For NC headphones I now value comfort and NC ability slightly over sound quality which I reserve for my open back headphones.

Air pod pro II are decent

Grand Master
    Having had the Sony XM4 and XM5 both are superb. I now have airpod max and they are twice the price but equally as good less the finish which is pure indulgence
    RIAC

I am looking for a set as well. Are those good:

https://www.dali-speakers.comen-gb/p.../io/dali-io-12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I am looking for a set as well. Are those good:

https://www.dali-speakers.comen-gb/p.../io/dali-io-12

Thanks
    To do noise cancelling right, you need a lot of r&d, which needs amortising over a lot of units.

So as a consumer you want to go with the main players, of which there’s only a handful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    To do noise cancelling right, you need a lot of r&d, which needs amortising over a lot of units.

So as a consumer you want to go with the main players, of which there’s only a handful.
    Makes sense. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Have Sony XM4 and now XM5 both excellent and ANC good for blocking out aircraft noise and passengers and machinery. Also have Jabra are good - but Sony sound quality I think is a little better. Jabra have physical buttons which may or may not be to your liking. Jabra have better water resistance so maybe better for sports.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Don't be put off by the price, they are excellent especially for travel take a look, buy a pair and say thank you.Check the space1's out too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-C...s%2C157&sr=1-4
    Last edited by the big fella; 2nd March 2024 at 23:01.

I have these and absolutely love them.

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/col...vy-refurbished

My brother-in-law works at the above place and says their refurbished stuff is absolutely brilliant and always as-good-as-new. (You can also get them new but these seem a great deal to me). He recommended the Cleers to me and they have replaced my Sonys. Sound is superb as is the ANC. Save the cash on Bose/Sony and go with something an expert in the field recommends.

For clarity, he gets nothing if you buy from them and I'm only passing on what he told me when I was debating what to go for so there's nothing for him or me in this but passing on his good advice.

Another vote for Sony here. I bought a pair of ZX77's off this forum years ago, can't fault them.

Sony XM4s have performed very well for me - good battery life and comfortable.

I’m not an audiophile but the sound is good and the app easy to navigate and adjust.

The noise cancellation is also excellent and has become pretty much an essential when travelling (a godsend when working from home with the kids too).

I’ve got Sony WH-1000XM4 and Apple AirPod Pro 2. Both excellent and would recommend either for their noise cancelling ability. The Sony do block more ambient sound but the AirPods are so versatile and have better transparency mode.

Thanks to all who responded.

I went for the Sony XM5s in the end.

Sound quality and noise cancelling both excellent. Picking up so much I had never heard in music in the past.

Really pleased with my choice!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Thanks to all who responded.

I went for the Sony XM5s in the end.

Sound quality and noise cancelling both excellent. Picking up so much I had never heard in music in the past.

Really pleased with my choice!

Joe
    These were on my list of options, but in the end I went with Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless.
    The main reason for my choice was sound quality over noise cancellation as I will, mostly, be wearing them indoors.

I agree that decent headphones can reveal a lot that isn't often accessible through many hifi systems, my caveat being volume (power) - if I play my home system at high(ish) volumes it beats my headphones by some margin, in all respects...however, with family members often working from home that isn't always possible, hence the headphones - a great compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Don't be put off by the price, they are excellent especially for travel take a look, buy a pair and say thank you.Check the space1's out too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-C...s%2C157&sr=1-4
    Just bought a pair of these for my mum, will get a pair for myself. I had the Bose wired ear buds and they are still going strong, the Bluetooth ones got used about 3 times and one of them no longer works, just out of warranty and Bose offered me £80 off a new set as a “good will gesture” - I’ll pass!