Corsair 5000D Airflow case
    MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 motherboard
    64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Dominator 3600mhz CL18 RAM
    Nvidia 4090FE GPU
    Intel 12600k CPU
    Corsair RM1000x Gold PSU
    Corsair H150i AIO cpu cooler
    X4 Corsair QL120 fans

I was thinking of an incremental upgrade to a 14900K as it seems like it might be the last generation of CPU to be available as an upgrade on my current motherboard. It seems that the 14900K (near enough the same price as 13900k) may add a fair bit of performance to my gaming system (10%?)

Do the TZ-UK PC enthusiasts think it’s a worthwhile upgrade or should I just wait a little while and upgrade to a DDR5 Motherboard and RAM to match my 4090FE? The wait being for another new gen of CPU as well as for DDR5 RAM and MoBo to drop in price.

Yep, I am definitely a sucker for it all now! :)

I don’t think 12th and 14th gen are socket compatible?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Have you thought about ditching Intel and going AMD?
    Much better value £/performance imo

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I don’t think 12th and 14th gen are socket compatible?
    The 14900k is LGA1700 like the 12600k that I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Have you thought about ditching Intel and going AMD?
    Much better value £/performance imo
    I am strongly considering this for when it is time to upgrade the motherboard. The thermals seem a lot better with AMD. The 14900k runs very hot like the 13900k, which it is apparently near enough the same as.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I am strongly considering this for when it is time to upgrade the motherboard. The thermals seem a lot better with AMD. The 14900k runs very hot like the 13900k, which it is apparently near enough the same as.
    My system is probably considered lower mid tier now - Ryzen 7 3700X / RTX 3060 - Noctua air cooled. At low use they run at 40 deg and never get beyond 50 or 60 deg when gaming. I was always in the Intel camp but I've been impressed with my AMD (would love a 5800x3D, but for now I'm happy).

I'd get something from the affordable end of the AM5 ecosystem. DDR5 is quite cheap now as well.

Master
    Like many of these things, what's the driver to upgrade.. are you lacking performance? Is it worth the spend for a modest uplift in performance?

If you do go for it make sure you fully update your BIOS *before* pulling the current chip and installing the new one! As if you never flashed the BIOS since buying the board it won't know anything about your new CPU and likely won't POST...

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Like many of these things, what's the driver to upgrade..
    I'd say that his Intel 12600k isn't man enough to cope with his with Nvidia 4090.

I found an interesting looking website, calling itself a bottleneck calculator: https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-cal...sks/1920x1080/ One of its recommendations is a 14900K.

Master
    Sure.. that may be the case but then it depends what games you play. He may have bought the best rig he could afford but all he plays is 4 year old title so.. again it's always worth just checking what the driver for the upgrade is :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was always looking for better performance when I built my PC .
    These days I just like to flick the Xbox on and get gaming.

I have bought a decent laptop with 4070 in it for my pc needs although I'm just playing company of heros which doesn't even engage the fans :D

The thought behind the possible upgrade is just about eeking out all of the performance out of the 4090 and DDR4 Mobo and RAM. I am curious about the diminishing returns. I suppose that is a personal metric.

I have an XBOX Series X and PS5 but now use the PC for 95% of my gaming. I had originally wanted the PC for just DCS, but seeing how much better games look and run on PC I am a convert. I can't face playing BF2042 on console anymore.

I have just started playing Alan Wake 2. I'm guessing that there is no current PC that can run it maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'd say that his Intel 12600k isn't man enough to cope with his with Nvidia 4090.

I found an interesting looking website, calling itself a bottleneck calculator: https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-cal...sks/1920x1080/ One of its recommendations is a 14900K.
    Thanks for this.

When I put my 'settings' in, it shows a 6.6% CPU bottleneck . I game at 4K and GPU heavy most of the time.

I recently spent half a day working on my settings for DCS VR. It improved/steadied the FPS to the degree that I am really happy with it.