closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Is This Rolex Really Worth 160K

  1. #1

    Is This Rolex Really Worth 160K

    It's on eBay but just looking at his feedback and the lack of description would put doubt in anyone's mind.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326020474...mis&media=COPY


    Sent from a technical device

  2. #2
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,880
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    It's on eBay but just looking at his feedback and the lack of description would put doubt in anyone's mind.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326020474...mis&media=COPY
    Ebay userID = chrono 24 UK (as is the company name in the address) and the watch appears to be listed on Chrono 24 but you're not buying from Chrono 24?

    I'd love to be in a position to have to think about whether a watch is worth £160k - I suppose it is if at least one person is prepared to pay it - but eBay is not the place to spend that money on a watch.

  3. #3
    Craftsman Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nantwich England
    Posts
    274
    The Watch Barn had a very good review by Rob Corder in Watch Pro January 2023.

    https://www.watchpro.com/greatest-sh...-stortford-uk/

    Not endorsing the seller or the price of the watch - just saying.

  4. #4
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    The Watch Barn had a very good review by Rob Corder in Watch Pro January 2023.

    https://www.watchpro.com/greatest-sh...-stortford-uk/

    Not endorsing the seller or the price of the watch - just saying.
    Fair enough. And that's the sort of research I'd start with if I was ever to spend that kind of money on a watch. I guess the eBay listing is the start of that kind of journey, just letting a wide audience know it's available (and getting us talking about it).

    Still not sure about the Chrono 24 eBay name though.

  5. #5
    Hard to tell too much about it due to the blurring if photos

  6. #6
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3,252
    If it is worth that sort of money, youíd have to be very brave to sell it via eBay. Buyer could submit a refund request because the battery ran out and probably get away with it!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ' EXEMPLO DUCEMUS '
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If it is worth that sort of money, youíd have to be very brave to sell it via eBay. Buyer could submit a refund request because the battery ran out and probably get away with it!

    Unless the battery was bought and fitted by Timpsons.

  8. #8
    It just seems for that sort of money you would at least give a bit of history / description rather than Chrono 24 standard listing.


    Sent from a technical device

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Hard to tell too much about it due to the blurring if photos
    Perfectly clear on my PC.

    Business previously Xupes, bought by Chrono24.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,330
    No, that watch is not.

    A correct one like this might be worth more :





    These will be genuine hands, of course ;-)

    It would be great to know what the eBay authentication service would make of the watch listed.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 21st February 2024 at 16:17.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    No, that watch is not.

    A correct one like this might be worth more :

    These will be genuine hands, of course ;-)

    It would be great to know what the eBay authentication service would make of the watch listed.
    Bowing entirely to your expertise, would you say that all the bits of it are genuine Rolex, but perhaps not the parts that were initially on the watch when it was produced ? Or are the hands after-market ?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Perfectly clear on my PC.

    Business previously Xupes, bought by Chrono24.
    Thatís good. What are the numbers on the case back and engraved inside? On your clear PC.

  13. #13
    Zupes (C24)are just down the road from me, I have always thought they try it on price wise

  14. #14
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    43,008
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Thatís good. What are the numbers on the case back and engraved inside? On your clear PC.
    If they (or anybody) believe it's genuine (which they clearly do) they will blur out the casebook details and internal engravings.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    If they (or anybody) believe it's genuine (which they clearly do) they will blur out the casebook details and internal engravings.
    Yes, the numbers are obscured, not blurred.

  16. #16
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    14,551
    I guess it's 'worth' £160K if someone is prepared to spend that on it.

    If I had a spare £160K, it still wouldn't be worth it to me, even with 100% provenance and trust in the seller.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Bowing entirely to your expertise, would you say that all the bits of it are genuine Rolex, but perhaps not the parts that were initially on the watch when it was produced ? Or are the hands after-market ?
    I do not believe those hands were manufactured by Rolex.

  18. #18
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    7,124
    I don't believe they have any intention of selling it via ebay. I cant see anyone paying that for it on ebay (whether it is worth it or not, and from what HM says above it is not), but it is a very cheap way of getting it out to a very wide audience and it only takes one person to get in touch and make an appointment to see it.

  19. #19
    Master Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North by Northwest
    Posts
    3,214
    AFAIK eBay fees on that would be over £20K, so it's that amount overpriced already.

  20. #20
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I do not believe those hands were manufactured by Rolex.
    Whoever they were manufactured by seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to try to give them a convincing patination -



    ...scary that such skills exist out there!

    Everything about the R-word seems to be fraught with traps and pitfalls...

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    AFAIK eBay fees on that would be over £20K, so it's that amount overpriced already.
    Should have checked hotUKdeals.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    1,022
    As much as Iíd like an insert Iím glad Iíve not been offered one with that style of font.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, the numbers are obscured, not blurred.
    Someone is being obtuse

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Someone is being obtuse
    Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Hard to tell too much about it due to the blurring if photos
    Others haven't found it too hard.

  25. #25
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    13,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, the numbers are obscured, not blurred.
    Obscured by being blurred/pixelated/photoshopped, whatever way you want to put it, amounts to the same thing.

  26. #26
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Mansfield, UK
    Posts
    51
    Short answer isÖ. No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information