closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting curio - Waltham Beatmaster

Journeyman

Interesting curio - Waltham Beatmaster

Hi team.
    I picked this up cheap from Japan and I wonder if I’ve bagged myself a bargain. I think it’s a 70s piece based on the case shape but Waltham’s history is a little convoluted and I believe they were bought by a Japanese company possibly in the early 80s so perhaps it’s from then?

It’s in remarkable condition with great case and nice patina on the dial. I like the purple/blue which seems anything from black to purple depending on lighting.

Opening him up. I see the movement is pristine and appears to be an ETA2824 with 25 jewels. They seem to sell for 200 quid on their own, so I’m well in profit if/when I flip it!

I’d be interested in anything that people could offer to expand my knowledge of this. Also, I’m not sold on the bracelet. What strap do you think I should go for?

Pics would be helpful now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the bracelet a NSA one? It looks like it, if so, it’s worth a few quid in itself.
    The watch looks great.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Is the bracelet a NSA one? It looks like it, if so, it’s worth a few quid in itself.
    The watch looks great.
    Interesting…
    A quick Google and it does appear very similar, but the clasp just says stainless steel with no branding so I suspect probably not.

My Google-fu is just bringing up loads of Waltham railroad/pocket watches. Nothing recent. I’m going to have to move off my phone to the laptop and do a deep dive…

Probably a high beat ETA movement. Being a beatmaster model. Have seen 28000 on a Waltham watch , different watch to yours and marked on the dial . Is the sweep nice and smooth or more of a tick ?
    Lovely watch in great condition

Nice watch in great nick, although I see that the lume dots outside the (rather splendid) indices have rotted away the dial colour around them.
    I have noticed that this especially happens with 1970s blue dials. Not sure what reacts with what, but blues are more affected than any other colour I know

And a vintage CWC Royal Beatmaster...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Nice watch in great nick, although I see that the lume dots outside the (rather splendid) indices have rotted away the dial colour around them.
    I have noticed that this especially happens with 1970s blue dials. Not sure what reacts with what, but blues are more affected than any other colour I know
    Thank you.
    Yes, I had hoped that it was all just debris remaining from the lume and I might be able to encourage it off with a little bit of rodico and Pegwood. Sadly, it is resistant to my encouragement so I decided better safe than sorry and just to leave it be. I also hoped that all the dots on the dial were just dust but they are ‘genuine patina’. I think it gives the watch a bit of character so I’m not going to stress about it.

It’s a 28’800 VPH keeping within one minute per day unserviced. The more I look at it the more taken I am with it!

Reddit and Google also striking out for info.
    Seems I bought a unicorn!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    And a vintage CWC Royal Beatmaster...]
    A whip?