closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: French holiday suggestions please

French holiday suggestions please

Bonjour…

Our summer holidays have usually been a week in Carbis Bay, Cornwall. Paddleboarding, eating out and generally finding the sun. We’re a family of four, with two girls aged 9 and 13.

The teen is going be doing GCSE French in September and has suggested that this summer, instead of Cornwall we should try France.

My only experience of France was a school day trip to Calais and a week snowboarding in the Alps. Beyond that I know nothing of France and where to go for a week in August.

The plan so far is drive from Yorkshire to Dover, get the ferry and that’s it.

We usually spend around £1500 for a week in Cornwall for a nice spec cottage, or apartment with sea views and drive about 9 hours to get there. Ideally I don’t to spend anymore, or drive any longer than we usually do and I’d like to take the paddleboard and beach stuff.

Where should we be staying, what websites are good for booking accommodation and what are your top tips for a week in France.

It takes a long time to drive much further than Paris (though the toll roads are an absolute joy), so maybe Brittany or Normandy?

Brittany is going to be more than 9 hours I'm afraid. Air B and B for accommodation, will need to budget for the ferry or train.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Cool

I'd go further south for somewhere more different and a warmer climate - places like Avignon, Orange, Nyons, Vaison-la-Romaine etc which are still driveable in a (long) day.

Get out to Marbs

But be cautious

Strictly no carbs before marbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive to Portsmouth, overnight ferry, drive to Brittany.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Vendée, we spent many great holidays their when the kids were young, around St Gilles Criox de Vie and Bretignoles, fabulous beaches and good restaurants. Much like Cornwall but without the Brits!

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Vendée, we spent many great holidays their when the kids were young, around St Gilles Criox de Vie and Bretignoles, fabulous beaches and good restaurants. Much like Cornwall but without the Brits!
    Been there (St Giles), and it is as you say. Within striking distance of places like Futuroscope too.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Good suggestion but maybe a bit too far? And, just to the east the Marais and to the south Charente Maritime and Charente Valley. Just came across these areas, been several times and never failed to have a good time. The coast and islands can be hectic in peak, but just inland and less than an hour driving distance of the sea was great, very relaxing.

Closer, Normandie and Brittany, never a bad time or memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I recently moved to Cornwall from the Normandy/Brittany borders, so I know the area fairly well. It's a long drive from Yorkshire to Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth, and then you'll have to add another 5 hours (or overnight) for the ferry crossing. Brittany Ferries prices were through the roof last summer - I had to pay almost £300 one way from Roscoff to Plymouth in mid September !. Undoubtedly the Dover crossing will be cheaper, but your drive will be much longer.

My advice would be to check what parts of France your local airport flies to, and hire a car when you get there. Paddle boards etc can also be hired.

Another possibility might be a Channel Islands holiday (flying), and then a day trip (or longer) to France. You can probably get by without a car on the Channel Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Good suggestion but maybe a bit too far? And, just to the east the Marais and to the south Charente Maritime and Charente Valley. Just came across these areas, been several times and never failed to have a good time. The coast and islands can be hectic in peak, but just inland and less than an hour driving distance of the sea was great, very relaxing.

Closer, Normandie and Brittany, never a bad time or memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vendee easy from Caen/St Malo/Cherbourg - via Portsmouth though.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I recently moved to Cornwall from the Normandy/Brittany borders, so I know the area fairly well. It's a long drive from Yorkshire to Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth, and then you'll have to add another 5 hours (or overnight) for the ferry crossing. Brittany Ferries prices were through the roof last summer - I had to pay almost £300 one way from Roscoff to Plymouth in mid September !. Undoubtedly the Dover crossing will be cheaper, but your drive will be much longer.

My advice would be to check what parts of France your local airport flies to, and hire a car when you get there. Paddle boards etc can also be hired.

Another possibility might be a Channel Islands holiday (flying), and then a day trip (or longer) to France. You can probably get by without a car on the Channel Islands.
    York to Portsmouth is under 5hrs in the car.

York to Folkestone is the same.

Gites de France - clunky website, and booking process
    VRBO - slick website.
    AirBnB - slick website and my go-to
    Homes2Go - easy website.

But - go for whatever selection suits you.

Make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance and GHIC cards.
    Last edited by blackal; 17th February 2024 at 22:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never been but a ferry to Bilbao? Should be guaranteed decent weather. Then drive back up with a couple of stop overs
    Last edited by sprite1275; 17th February 2024 at 22:27.

Brittany is a good suggestion.
    We need to know a bit more about where you are flexible and where you’re not. What is acceptable in terms or driving (if Brittany, the Portsmouth ferry is a good suggestion).
    How long a drive is acceptable? ( accommodation is usually from Saturday to Saturday, could you leave say on Friday?)
    You will have no difficulty keeping the children happy by the sea (can even book a week of sailing school, morning or afternoon based on tides if that’s of interest, and a great way to make new friends and use language skills, and that goes both ways). But there will usually also be things to do inland wherever you decide to go.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Overnight ferry to Le Havre.

Head down on the west coast to La Rochelle or if you want big deserted beaches and more sun Archachon.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Brittany sounds like the ticket all things considered…..I would probably opt for the Portsmouth crossing but, as mentioned, if you haven’t already looked into ferry prices you might want to be sitting down when you do so!
    Depends on your preferences but I tend to prefer the day crossings rather than overnight. You could get a travelodge or whatever at Portsmouth and catch the 8am ish crossing …looking at circa 5 hours depending on port of destination. I would strongly recommend paying the extra for a cabin so you can ‘relax’. That would also break up the travelling a little.

We always used to drive to France but last few years we've flown, either to La Rochelle, Carcassonne or Toulouse airports.
    At La Rochelle we get a taxi to Ars-en-Ré (about €70), stay at one of the many campsites and hire bikes for the week. You can get a bus from the airport but you have to be on the ball with timings.
    Carcassonne and Toulouse, we hire a car, stock up at Super-U and head to a cheap Airbnb.
    Drivings an absolute pleasure in France but fuel/toll costs can quickly mount up if heading south.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Brittany is the obvious one, but maybe go a bit further and look at cap feret/ Lacanau…. Had a lovely holiday there recently…. Great food and surf

Craftsman
    This place in Brittany was excellent..

https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or head down south to Frejus.. near to Cannes and Monaco.

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    This place in Brittany was excellent..

https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or head down south to Frejus.. near to Cannes and Monaco.
    Those kind of sites can be great, with a decent vibe.

One caveat with them, we discovered - the matresses in the chalet/mobile homes are kind of basic, and for the less-young ......... can be harsh on your back.

Fridge space can be at a premium too, especially if you like beers in the evenings.

Try the French cider. It's seriously good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Try the French cider. It's seriously good.
    Ah that brings back memories.

Sitting ouside having a cidre by the port in La Rochelle as the sun went down,very relaxing.

Then a bit of a barney started spilling out from the bar.

Are you French I asked?yes was the reply,well thats the sort of behaviour you expect of us English.

They looked sheepish,laughed and them made friends again.

I must go back some time so much to see and do,not many Brits,its very friendly.

They close the town centre of at night in the summer so people can wander in peace,though they let motorbikes in with a friendly wave.

Every restuarant seems to be serving Moules mariniere,it has a wonderful atmosphere.

Southern Brittany is really nice - on the coast there in summer, you get the feeling you could be on the shores of the Med.

I have a week booked on that coast in a small gite - in May, so looking forward to it.

Easily reached from the overnight ferries from Portsmouth (Caen, St Malo, Cherbourg, Le Havre) - to arrive there mid-afternoon.

I just love the whole weather, food, drink atmosphere of France.

Normandy - I find a bit bare compared to Brittany.

The Vendee for a family holiday probably betters Brittany.

Another thing to consider is that I think the ferries out of Portsmouth will be subject to less delays than Dover.

Master
    No need to go as far as Brittany. The west coast of La Manche is lovely. Miles of sweeping sandy beaches that are comparatively empty.

Lovely food (mussels and oysters are farmed along the coast). Good local cider and markets to practice GCSE French. A good range of activities are available within a reasonable distance.

Less than an hour from Cherbourg, a little over an hour from Caen, four hours from Dieppe and probably five or so hours from Calais. As has already been mentioned Brittany Ferries are now stupidly expensive as they have a monopoly on the western Channel.

Granville is the main town on the coast but is a bit more expensive than if you head up the coast or push inland a little.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Another thing to consider is that I think the ferries out of Portsmouth will be subject to less delays than Dover.
    A very good point, Dover has been the scene of some pretty horrific holdups over the last couple of years. Plus,if the French dockers/trawlermen etc decide to take action they usually focus their attention at that end of the channel.

However returning through Border control in Portsmouth is painfully slow.

Newhaven/Dieppe has been a good crossing for us over the last ten years. Reasonably priced and never had any delays.

Go to France most years and never had a problem at Dover. Advantage is that they're cheap, fast turnaround and sail evey hour or even more frequently.

Coming back always book a late (and therefore the cheapest) ferry - if early am always put on an earlier sailing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like we'll concentrate our search around Brittany and do some further research into the ferries.

Trying to avoid flying as we're going long-haul in May and likely Canaries in Dec. In summer I quite like having a holiday that doesn't involve airports, taxis, transfers and luggage allowance.

If you go for an overnight BF ferry - book the main restaurant for dinner, and maybe take in a movie.

The afternoon crossings are fine for me as I just head for a simple overnight crash at a cheap motel outside Caen, but for a family - that would be unwelcome.

All those French ports are easy distance to Brittany/Vendee, so just pick the routes to suit your timings. (come back on different route if nec)

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    not many Brits
    Quite a few Irish.

On a similar note we are thinking of spending a week or so exploring Normandy this September. Will be taking the dog and driving via the tunnel. Possibly staying at Rouen and Bayeaux and exploring from there. Anyone with any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    On a similar note we are thinking of spending a week or so exploring Normandy this September. Will be taking the dog and driving via the tunnel. Possibly staying at Rouen and Bayeaux and exploring from there. Anyone with any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Plan the dog thing well in advance with your vet as they need to fill a complex (and expensive) Animal Health Certificate and leaving it at the last minute means your dog (and therefore possibly you) will stay here.
    Accommodation has got better in terms of pet acceptance: they were rare enough 30 years ago but the advent of internet and web booking has meant that many hoteliers adapted to what customers needed. Many restaurants are still reluctant though.
    Weather wise, think SE England type of climate (and geology).
    The old Rouen can be quite spectacular but may not warrant more than 2 or 3 days (you'll see loads in one day). Bayeux will bring you close to D-Day beaches which may be of some interest; if so, make sure you view "The Longest Day" before leaving, so the different spots are fresh in your memory.
    The Mont Saint Michel is really worth it if you manage a quiet day (ideally, after the French Back to school, and not on WE; Will still be very busy, but trust me if say that it can be a lot worse.)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.