closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best gas BBQ?

Best gas BBQ?

New year, new toy.

And since the weather is 100% definitely certain to be amazing this Spring I'm expanding my BBQ arsenal. So, dear experts, any suggestions very gratefully received.

It would need to be 4 burner, have a cooking ring on the side, option for a rotisserie. I was considering a Napoleon but they have very dodgy reviews in the US.

What else might I look at?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    New year, new toy.

And since the weather is 100% definitely certain to be amazing this Spring I'm expanding my BBQ arsenal. So, dear experts, any suggestions very gratefully received.

It would need to be 4 burner, have a cooking ring on the side, option for a rotisserie. I was considering a Napoleon but they have very dodgy reviews in the US.

What else might I look at?
    Weber is the obvious one. Had mine about 8 years and still excellent. Charbroil are worth a look too.

You do know a proper BBQ isn’t gas don’t you

Went through this last year with Mj2ks solid advice and bought a Weber genesis 3 burner with hob on the side. If you’re feeling flush a summit would be a step up

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/weber-summi...as-bbq-7171074

Do a search on TZUK - there is a very extensive thread or two on it.

I have a combo one (gas or charcoal) made by Charbroil I think.

Been discussed many times on here

BBQ equals Weber
    Washing machine equals Miele
    Etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

BeefEater. Owned a couple in Australia, very popular there (have never seen anyone use charcoal in Australia) have one now in the UK.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Beefeater; I’ve had a 5 burner for several years. A couple of years ago I replaced several parts and was able to source everything I needed from UK websites, which is handy.

I’m looking for a new one and am looking mainly at Broil King and Beefeater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add I’ve been looking for a built in bbq, which Weber don’t seem to do much of a range of.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Went through this last year with Mj2ks solid advice and bought a Weber genesis 3 burner with hob on the side. If you’re feeling flush a summit would be a step up

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/weber-summi...as-bbq-7171074
    And yours is amazingly clean still I bet mate!

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Been discussed many times on here

BBQ equals Weber
    Washing machine equals Miele
    Etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What if Miele made BBQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    And yours is amazingly clean still I bet mate!
    I ruined it last night with some heavily marinated chicken breasts. That grill isn’t keen on honey.

Bought a 3.8kg beef ribeye from Costco this week which cut down to 12 steaks, looking forward to scrubbing the bbq and seeing I can have some next week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If your looking at high end Weber looks at Napoleon. They offer great products with excellent warranty and I think look a bit cooler than the Weber equivalent.

I ruined it last night with some heavily marinated chicken breasts. That grill isn’t keen on honey.

Bought a 3.8kg beef ribeye from Costco this week which cut down to 12 steaks, looking forward to scrubbing the bbq and seeing I can have some next week.
    That’s a 3 steak rib

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    If your looking at high end Weber looks at Napoleon. They offer great products with excellent warranty and I think look a bit cooler than the Weber equivalent.
    Good quality, but can’t cope with the wiggly grill shapes, just can’t take any searing seriously from it.

Weber, charbroil, beefeater and Napoleon. Thanks everyone. It'll be one of those.

It depends on where in the country you are, as you could visit a couple of shops and get some good ideas.

I live near The BBQ Shop in Woking, Surrey and they're pretty good (they have Napolean & Beefeater). Also Socal in Southampton have a big range too

Going from my own experience I have a Broil King Baron and it's been very good over the last 6 years. It has a side burner and a rotiserie can be used also

I've now got a semi-enclosed space and am considering a pellet grill next time maybe a Traeger? Also maybe a Blackstone??

Master
    Had a Weber gas for 10 years before moving to charcoal. Think it was about £1000 when I bought it and I got £700 for it on FB marketplace when I sold it

Residuals like Rolex :-)

I went for a Broil King after comparing with Webber. More for the money and seems to be as well constructed. Came with the rotisserie as a freebie though I haven't used it yet. Only complaints I have are, the handle gets seriously hot when pre-heating or cooking with the lid down, and after 4 years there's a bit of breakdown on the hood seal at the front, (could just be down to it being stored outside in all weather).
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I went for a Broil King after comparing with Webber. More for the money and seems to be as well constructed. Came with the rotisserie as a freebie though I haven't used it yet. Only complaints I have are, the handle gets seriously hot when pre-heating or cooking with the lid down, and after 4 years there's a bit of breakdown on the hood seal at the front, (could just be down to it being stored outside in all weather).
    Handle being hot is a bit of a poor design, especially as you want the lid down when cooking.

If you have a cover and it’s breaking down like that, get in touch with customer services and sure they will put it right.

I use my rotisserie on the egg every few weeks, never really did on the gas one over the 10yrs I had it. It’s now on its way to the person I gave my old Weber spirit to, so can get an other lease of life.

Regarding the rotisserie, give a kellybab a try, effortless food and easy to feed a load of people cheaply with a bit of flair as you carve from the spit, then back on the bbq. Also great for longer entertaining as can keep coming back to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    It depends on where in the country you are, as you could visit a couple of shops and get some good ideas.

I live near The BBQ Shop in Woking, Surrey and they're pretty good (they have Napolean & Beefeater). Also Socal in Southampton have a big range too

Going from my own experience I have a Broil King Baron and it's been very good over the last 6 years. It has a side burner and a rotiserie can be used also

I've now got a semi-enclosed space and am considering a pellet grill next time maybe a Traeger? Also maybe a Blackstone??
    And if you are near Herts, you could check out Riverside, which has a great selection to look at. You can even do one of their courses and try out a decent selection
    https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/

Master
    Charbroil for me.

Make sure you see one in person and get one with cast iron grilles.

I went for this, although they're available much cheaper at other websites

https://www.charbroil.co.uk/performance-440-b-uk-140791

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Charbroil for me.

Make sure you see one in person and get one with cast iron grilles.

I went for this, although they're available much cheaper at other websites

https://www.charbroil.co.uk/performance-440-b-uk-140791
    I have both stainless and cast. Cast live indoors and get used when needed. Stainless stays outside with the bbq & so easy for being lazy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have both stainless and cast. Cast live indoors and get used when needed. Stainless stays outside with the bbq & so easy for being lazy with.
    One of the new ones I’m looking at has stainless steel grates; I’m a bit concerned about cooking on them especially food getting stuck on them. Do you find them ok?

My beefeater has cast iron grills which, now I know how to care for them, I like using.

This is what I’m looking at:

https://thebbqshop.co.uk/BBQs/whistl...ster-4-Gas-BBQ

Whatever you do don’t let your wife marinate chicken breasts with anything other than salt, pepper and olive oil. Times like this I wish I had one with basic bars. The honey glaze took a few goes to get acceptable but it needs a deep clean.

20 minutes full blast with the lid down and that muck is all gone. Brush the residue away.

Anyway, back to the original question, Weber Genesis. Mine is 10 next month, and has lived outside in rain, hail and shine without a cover for the last 6 years.

Last summer I replaced the cooking grates and the starter battery. Will be good for another 10 years.

I think is was called the E330, but this is the closest modern one - https://www.riversidegardencentre.co...enesis-e-425s/

I thoroughly recommend Riverside Garden Centre too.

Master
    Surely that just needs burning off and rubbing with wire brush or crumpled tin foil?

Cast iron grates get seasoned over time (like frying pans) and don’t need much maintenance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    One of the new ones I’m looking at has stainless steel grates; I’m a bit concerned about cooking on them especially food getting stuck on them. Do you find them ok?

My beefeater has cast iron grills which, now I know how to care for them, I like using.

This is what I’m looking at:

https://thebbqshop.co.uk/BBQs/whistl...ster-4-Gas-BBQ

Food releases once it’s ready, if it sticks give it time.

Cast has greater heat retention but unless you’re cooking a steak I’ve not noticed a big difference.

When I use my cast iron I place it over the current grill and just let it heat up for what I’m cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Whatever you do don’t let your wife marinate chicken breasts with anything other than salt, pepper and olive oil. Times like this I wish I had one with basic bars. The honey glaze took a few goes to get acceptable but it needs a deep clean.

As Guinea says, heat & brush. Turn the grills upside down too, and attack again after.

Give up on that lovely OEM finish.

Mine has patina & it doesn’t come off on cooking.

Admire your desire for a perfect grill, but there’s no bigger pervert than a man with a properly clean bbq…aside from someone selling a 2nd hand sleeping bag maybe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t have the patience to heat it up and go at it properly like I should have as I was trying to get some kofte on but I’ll turn them upside down and whack it up for half an hour tomorrow. Have some ribeyes in the fridge which I’m hoping to get on tomorrow or the next day. BBQ and good wifi are by a mile the best two things I’ve bought for the house.

Craftsman
    Just bought a Weber Summit to replace a 14year old Swiss Grill. That company went bust nearly ten years ago, so of course no spares available now. Whereas a 25 year old Weber can still be updated with parts.

The Summit comes with a built in Rotisserie which is quite neat compared with the Genesis.

I didn’t have the patience to heat it up and go at it properly like I should have as I was trying to get some kofte on but I’ll turn them upside down and whack it up for half an hour tomorrow. Have some ribeyes in the fridge which I’m hoping to get on tomorrow or the next day. BBQ and good wifi are by a mile the best two things I’ve bought for the house.
    Your auto-correct seems to have replaced the word wine with wifi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Just bought a Weber Summit to replace a 14year old Swiss Grill. That company went bust nearly ten years ago, so of course no spares available now. Whereas a 25 year old Weber can still be updated with parts.

The Summit comes with a built in Rotisserie which is quite neat compared with the Genesis.
    Very nice indeed, that’s a cracking piece of kit.

Really liking this thread.