closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Tour - Sand Job

Smile Grand Tour - Sand Job

I enjoyed the latest edition of the Grand Tour, recreating part of the Paris - Dakar Rallye.

As usual, it's interesting to spot the watches :

Clarkson has the usual Planet Ocean 45 on bund
    Hammond wears a 16570 polar explorer II
    May appears to be wearing a citizen or Casio

Worth a view.

Watched this earlier - good fun.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I think May could have been wearing this:

Yeah it was a good show, I thought I’d watch it in stages and ended up watching the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Fantastic episode. About the iron ore train: the internet tells us that one ore train holds enough iron for an Eiffel Tower.

That was some train.

Master
    Loved the others, this one felt a bit like a 13yr old wrote it, more so than the others. Feel a bit robbed.

Blog Entries
    I don't expect anything else than a story written by a 13 y/o. Everything written by someone above that age limit would challenge my intellectual skills and I don't want that. I genuinely laughed out loud during the visit to the Embassy.

The three men are very capable of producing high-level, entertaining and informative tv shows. E.g. Clarkson who has put UK's farming on the map. And even these petrol heads are shifting: the part that was filmed in Chinguetti was not only interesting but even The Three Stooges are mentioning global warming as a problem with an example to match!

Apart from that: am I the only one who thinks that Clarkson's health is deteriorating (short breath, walking is not very stable like it used to be). This was filmed in May 2023, btw.

Craftsman
    As well as Clarkson's general health, I was also worried about how much driving he and May did with the top down, in that desert sun! Clarkson has already had a cancer scare, he doesn't want to add skin cancer to that. Sun block can only do so much. Keep it covered folks.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely true! I guess the 46℃ that was mentioned was only the beginning. It was filmed in May 2023, with the Summer building up.

Top down motoring will not help much when it comes to fresh air, these temps do not provide fresh air. Driving in these circumstance is like drying your hair with a blow dryer. Perhaps it makes great TV? A few years back, I was hit with 50+℃ in Italy when we left a supermarket in Figline Valdarno and I had to cross the black tarmac parking to the black car with black interior we drove back then. I nearly fainted.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I nearly fainted.
    🤣🤣

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great to see the country, but all so very predictable.

Blog Entries
    So, what's your suggestion for the next episode to make it less predictable?

After last night's episode I've pulled out my MacBook and looked/googled for the places they visited, the scenery (at what point does the Sahara stop and becomes fertile soil again) the 'eye', the library town and even the cause of the Dakar riots. I've learned things I didn't know. All as a result of three mad, middle-aged men doing things I wouldn't do/can do.

It's just what you want to get out of it.

Master

After last night's episode I've pulled out my MacBook and looked/googled for the places they visited, the scenery (at what point does the Sahara stop and becomes fertile soil again) the 'eye', the library town and even the cause of the Dakar riots. I've learned things I didn't know. All as a result of three mad, middle-aged men doing things I wouldn't do/can do.

Add my bitterness that I’m not able to make a living doing that!

Looked at 4hrs ice racing on global tracks, €5k. Mental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I watched it with my 14 and 11 year old boys, and my car ambivalent wife. We all laughed; scripted yes , predictable yes, but a lot of fun.

Grand Tour - Sand Job

All as a result of three mad, middle-aged men doing things I wouldn't do/can do.

I just took from your post that I was still middle aged (though not quite as mad and much less wealthy)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I watched it yesterday, entertaining as usual. I don't get why people criticise it for being predictable. I mean thats why you watch it and why it's reached 5 seasons. If they changed it every season they'd lose a loyal fan base and then they'd get complaints of "its changed".

Watched this over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. Very silly, but another great special.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Haven't watched it yet but it sounds like it's up to the usual entertaining standard.
    They once did a show that was unscripted and unplanned and it was rubbish. Just to show the people who complained it was too predictable what it would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Great to see the country, but all so very predictable.

The next episode will be the last, so it's maybe a bit late in the day to start changing the format. It has already been filmed in Zimbabwe, and will be shown some time next year.

Quite an enjoyable episode, I thought.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I genuinely laughed out loud during the visit to the Embassy.
    I must admit the throwback to the old Ferrero Rocher ads was quite funny!

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Very silly, but another great special.
    And that's all any of us ever need! I thoroughly enjoyed it too.

yes same old same old, but again its why i watch & enjoyed, i was particular impressed by the performance of the JAAAAAG, and laughed at the Maserati shaking apart.

It’s all very predictable, but so well done that it’s still great entertainment to me.
    I’ll miss it when they’re done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predictable but enjoyable.

The use of cabs was clearly just to make more interesting shots, especially when Hammond had to build a scaffold for a roof top tent.

DB9s have been looking very cheap recently but I think this may have put me off.

The post production Jaaag supercharger whine was unnecessary too.

What’s in the next episode?

Master
    Silly, daft fun. Always like watching them though. Kept me entertained on the return flight from holiday (along with Euro Crash, which I've seen several times before).

Just finished watching it, had to take a week long gap due to my house being rewired and hence no WiFi. Thoroughly enjoyable entertainment, great scenery, buffoonery, cars, genuinely interesting asides, and of course the comfortable familiar old routines.
    If its the last one I'll genuinely miss it, but at the same time realise the old gents (well two of them) can't keep doing that for much longer or at least with any degree of frequency. Brill.

Master
    I finished it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Good silly fun. It's rare we sit down and watch something as a family and this was a pleasant exception

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    If its the last one I'll genuinely miss it, but at the same time realise the old gents (well two of them) can't keep doing that for much longer or at least with any degree of frequency. Brill.
    The rumoured final Grand Tour episode is due to air next year, filming finished in Zimbabwe recently if ‘the internets’ are to be believed.

I enjoyed the latest episode as well, just the right balance of cars, facts, culture and nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The rumoured final Grand Tour episode is due to air next year, filming finished in Zimbabwe recently if ‘the internets’ are to be believed.

I enjoyed the latest episode as well, just the right balance of cars, facts, culture and nonsense!
    Shall look forward to that, thank you :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched this last week and really enjoyed it. Made me dip back into some of the older TG specials.

Some interesting behind the scenes info here -CONTAINS SPOILERS and reminds you it’s a produced TV show after all.

Kev

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=DWsam...&v=kDaAzXOTwfo