closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EU import tax/vat

Craftsman

EU import tax/vat

Am looking to see if any others have had a similar problem.

My wife’s parents sent us an unexpected parcel at Christmas as we decided not to do presents due to brexit and the problems.

However they did send a parcel resulting in an invoice being sent from fedex who had delivered the parcel one month previous with no mention of any excess to pay.

The gifts were valued at 120£ in total but were worth far less as who wants/needs silk pyjamas at 50 quid not me and they are now sitting in a charity shop…

My question is surely the cannot pay the import charge for me without my consent then just deliver it with no mention at the time it was from the eu and may have import duty charged at a later date.

If so what stops me on next months trip out there sending you the reader a parcel with fresh air in it valuing it at 900£ which your other half accepts at the door thinking you had bought more stuff from sales corner. Then one month or so later getting an invoice for tax surely as it’s open to such exploitation this cannot be legal.

They should have advised me prior to delivery of the charge and have no right to pay something then just charge me.

If so can I come round put up a fence in your garden and just send you the bill? You never asked for or accepted my quote but that seems not to matter

#brexitbenifits

Thanks rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, Fedex will base their charges on the declared value. They also pursue for non payment quite quickly and with little room for dialogue/ leeway.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sadly, Fedex will base their charges on the declared value. They also pursue for non payment quite quickly and with little room for dialogue/ leeway.
    Yes so it seems but surely it’s not legal. They just scare folk into paying like private land parking companies

I could send you a RM letter w/o adequate postage, similar situation.

The value is presumably correct as declared by your folks, why would they over value it? It isn't Fedex who set the charges (save for their admin fee).

Other companies do it better (eg DHL ask for payment up front) but surely easier than dealing with HMRC directly. Could always buy from charity shop, return and ask for refund of VAT/duty paid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I could send you a RM letter w/o adequate postage, similar situation.

The value is presumably correct as declared by your folks, why would they over value it? It isn't Fedex who set the charges (save for their admin fee).

Other companies do it better (eg DHL ask for payment up front) but surely easier than dealing with HMRC directly. Could always buy from charity shop, return and ask for refund of VAT/duty paid.
    The prices are right no doubt but had the said we need 45£ for this parcel as it’s from the EU it would have been declined and I would have found out what was in it as it being from the eu could only be from them. If they said a jumper pyjamas or whatever I would have just declined it as I would not pay that for things I do not need and have not chosen.

The whole process seems wrong and is just there to cut costs as individuals can be bullied. If the parcel was worth 50 grand I am sure they would check first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    The prices are right no doubt but had the said we need 45£ for this parcel as it’s from the EU it would have been declined and I would have found out what was in it as it being from the eu could only be from them. If they said a jumper pyjamas or whatever I would have just declined it as I would not pay that for things I do not need and have not chosen.

The whole process seems wrong and is just there to cut costs as individuals can be bullied. If the parcel was worth 50 grand I am sure they would check first.

You either want it, or you don't. What's the problem?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You either want it, or you don't. What's the problem?
    They delivered it without saying it was from the EU and might have charges to be added. Wife thought I had boughtstuff here

They decided to payitfor me without asking me. Have charged me for paying foriteven though I did not ask for them to deal with HMRC on my behalf

Sadly the Brexit effect.
    Some morons voted for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Sadly the Brexit effect.
    To be fair could have come from non-EU and same 'issue'.

Craftsman
    Sadly the Brexit effect.
    It should have been a test. If you voted to leave it should have disqualified you from voting in future elections due to diminised capacity or similar

Swerve the politics chaps? G&D and all that.....

Struggling to understand the point of this thread, if I’m honest. Blame Brexit, and those who voted for it.

Craftsman
    The point is I am wondering if this is ok for the courier to do it just seems wrong.

How can the decide for me if I want to pay import on a parcel or not. They are just a company that decided to pay a charge which I had the choice to pay or not.

The gov website says they will ask prior to delivery yet they just seem to do what they want. As it says I'll be contacted prior to delivery and this did not happen.

Didn't your wife decide when she accepted the parcel? If in doubt, she could have refused it. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    How do you decide with no information?

A parcel on the ground and a bloke saying this is for you.

And yes had the bill not come one month after the parcel it would have been returned. But with that length of delay,and no advice duty was due which was known to the courier as they paid it, then it's not easy to retuen would be my thought

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Didn't your wife decide when she accepted the parcel? If in doubt, she could have refused it. Problem solved.
    Fedex don't work like that sadly.

Worst case scenario is they will ask you to sign to say you refuse to accept, they will contact the shipper to determine if they want it returning or destroying (return shipping may have to be paid for).

Fedex can and probably will still bill you for duties and admin (aggressively) and leave you to argue with HMRC to reclaim them.

Craftsman
    Think tomorrow as I'm off I am gonna walk the neighborhood doing small jobs folk don't want and have not asked me to do and just send them an invoice for payment.

This tenextyear I am gonna be a millionaire ..lol ..the world's gone mad when folk think they are doing you a favour by spending your money

Master
    It should have been a test. If you voted to leave it should have disqualified you from voting in future elections due to diminised capacity or similar
    Idiot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Idiot.
    Yes they were glad we can agree on something

It has always been the way with parcels delivered by Fedex.

Royal Mail etc will not release your parcel until duty has been paid.

Regardless of Brexit, the world is lot larger than just the EU and import tax has always been there.

Perhaps have a word with your relatives who kindly sent the gift?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    When your in laws booked the Fedex they have the option to tick duty and tax to be received by recipient, or sender.
    Fedex deliver, and then bill later for the required duty/vat.

The issue lies with whoever sent you the fedex gift stating full value and ticking that you'd be stung for the duty, not Fedex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    It has always been the way with parcels delivered by Fedex.

Royal Mail etc will not release your parcel until duty has been paid.

Regardless of Brexit, the world is lot larger than just the EU and import tax has always been there.

Perhaps have a word with your relatives who kindly sent the gift?
    People traveled by horse now it's by far I don't mind what they do just don't expect me to pay for it unless it's asked for.

I have no problems with import tax my problem lies in a company doing something on request of another then charging me.

My issue is with the process where they do something on someone else's say so then charge me.

I just find it wrong. Even private land parking companies are required to put up plenty of signs so you see them so you are deemed to have aggrees to the terms. This is all very underhanded.

Once they have done it they then strongarm you into paying by employing debt collectos to threaten your credit rating.... The system in place may be cheap but it's very poor in its processes

Rant over

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    When your in laws booked the Fedex they have the option to tick duty and tax to be received by recipient, or sender.
    Fedex deliver, and then bill later for the required duty/vat.

The issue lies with whoever sent you the fedex gift stating full value and ticking that you'd be stung for the duty, not Fedex.

This would be good if true. I asked the woman on the phone had this been worth 100k would you have paid/delivered without collecting the monies. Of course the answer was no but we do it for you to make deliveries quicker. Strange I said as the person waiting on the 100k item I am sure is in more of a hurry than I am.

It's done to cut costs i an sure and she pretty much agreed.

I don't think it's right I have told them that and am waiting for a reply so we will see

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your in-laws sent a package that they valued over the limit for VAT free entry into the uk
    They gave it to a carrier.
    The career delivered it, as per their contract with the sender.

You will be liable to pay the duty/tax on the parcel regardless, whether fedex collect it on behalf of HMRC, or whether HMRC collect it themselves.

The wants of the receiver are not considered in these transactions, because the wants of the receiver do not alter the fact that their is tax liable on a package that has entered the uk from overseas.

HMRC expect you to pay the tax, on a package you received, regardless of whether or not you like the gifts, and regardless of whether or not you wanted the package.

It's not an underhand shill, its life after Brexit.

HMRC expect you to pay the tax, on a package you received, regardless of whether or not you like the gifts, and regardless of whether or not you wanted the package.

This is exactly how it works.

I’m going to send Mick P a fridge magnet with a £5k declared value.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    PMSL

Craftsman
    Your in-laws sent a package that they valued over the limit for VAT free entry into the uk
    They gave it to a carrier.
    The career delivered it, as per their contract with the sender.

You will be liable to pay the duty/tax on the parcel regardless, whether fedex collect it on behalf of HMRC, or whether HMRC collect it themselves.

The wants of the receiver are not considered in these transactions, because the wants of the receiver do not alter the fact that their is tax liable on a package that has entered the uk from overseas.

Really the .gov website does not seem to agree they are of the opinion the carrier should ask me before delivery then if I'm not willing to pay return it to the sender or destroy it as per the sender's wishes

Expecting an company to follow the instructions of the government website is surely not too much.

Blog Entries
    This would be good if true. I asked the woman on the phone had this been worth 100k would you have paid/delivered without collecting the monies. Of course the answer was no but we do it for you to make deliveries quicker. Strange I said as the person waiting on the 100k item I am sure is in more of a hurry than I am.

I don't think it's right I have told them that and am waiting for a reply so we will see

I think the answers are here -

https://www.fedex.com/en-pt/support/...d-to-know.html

eg

Pre-Payment (Direct Payment Processing)
    • If Duty/Tax 0.01 - £42.50 then Fee is 30% of the Duty/Tax with a minimum of £4.25
    • If Duty/Tax £42.50 - £510.00 then Fee is £12.75
    • If Duty/Tax £510.00+ then Fee is 2.5% of the Duty/Tax
    A fee will apply for originating a direct payment process allowing release of shipments and payment of Customs charges. This service is focused on payers that may be a credit risk or for shipments with a very high value as may be determined in each country
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th February 2024 at 19:02.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

EU import tax/vat

Next time you’re abroad send FedEx a worthless parcel.

The issue that is annoying you has nothing to do with high value items and how they are processed.

The package you received was above the threshold for duty etc. and you have been subsequently billed following receipt of the item(s).

Regardless of how much you pi$$ and moan the reality is the situation you are in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lol I asked for the women I was speaking to her address or the managing directors address as I to was offering to send various items....of course she declined but understood my frustration....

Craftsman
    The issue that is annoying you has nothing to do with high value items and how they are processed.

The package you received was above the threshold for duty etc. and you have been subsequently billed following receipt of the item(s).

Regardless of how much you pi$$ and moan the reality is the situation you are in.
    I may have replied to the wrong comment someone said it's how they deal with deliveries and vat but it not always how they do it.

Their own conditions say the sender is ultimately responsible for and charges irrespective of which box is checked. And the .gov website gives the correct procedure for this.

I think it's wrong folk think it's right. Why they think it's right is not clear other that well that's how it is. That's nice and all almost cute but not really good enough.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Really the .gov website does not seem to agree
    The shipper already nominated you to pay the tax.
    This is why the parcel was delivered, and you were billed after delivery.

Again, when sending a Fedex shipment, you either check that the sender will be responsible for the duty and vat and the shipment is DDP (delivered duty paid) OR that the tax is to be billed to the receiver post delivery.

The sender is not responsible for VAT on import unless specified, regardless of what you've read.

There are some watch companies that deliver to the UK duty paid.
    There are some companies that deliver to the UK and the receiver is retrospectively billed for the VAT incurred.
    EG - People buying Grand Seiko from Japan factor in the 20% VAT, still works out cheaper to buy from Japan, so they buy from Japan as it beats UK RRP.
    HMRC will never attempt to claim VAT from the Japanese seller, as it is the receivers responsibility in the UK to adhere to UK tax calculations.
    The system is the same the minute you cross the tax thresholds, regardless of the value of goods.

Craftsman

EU import tax/vat

The shipper already nominated you to pay the tax.
    This is why the parcel was delivered, and you were billed after delivery.

Again, when sending a Fedex shipment, you either check that the sender will be responsible for the duty and vat and the shipment is DDP (delivered duty paid) OR that the tax is to be billed to the receiver post delivery.

The sender is not responsible for VAT on import unless specified, regardless of what you've read.

There are some watch companies that deliver to the UK duty paid.
    There are some companies that deliver to the UK and the receiver is retrospectively billed for the VAT incurred.
    EG - People buying Grand Seiko from Japan factor in the 20% VAT, still works out cheaper to buy from Japan, so they buy from Japan as it beats UK RRP.
    HMRC will never attempt to claim VAT from the Japanese seller, as it is the receivers responsibility in the UK to adhere to UK tax calculations.
    The system is the same the minute you cross the tax thresholds, regardless of the value of goods.
    The shipper is not a company who I have a contract with they can do as they like but does not make it legal or enforceable. Yes had this been a purchase I made no problem as it would be in the contract I entered into and yes it matter what you read if you read it in the right place.

Good news though I have had a reply from fedex and a credit note will be issued in up to 6 to8 days.

Must just be a goodwill gesture as they were obviously in the right.

Funny story when you think with your eyes you are easily fooled.

Last edited by UMBROSUS; 16th February 2024 at 20:10.

At the heart of the OP’s issue is the question of whether the addressee of an unsolicited package from abroad is the “importer” for tax purposes.

The fact that he accepted the package as evidenced by his generous onward gift of its contents to the local charity shop pretty much decides the issue.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    At the heart of the OP’s issue is the question of whether the addressee of an unsolicited package from abroad is the “importer” for tax purposes.

The fact that he accepted the package as evidenced by his generous onward gift of its contents to the local charity shop pretty much decides the issue.

Get over it.
    So a gift from an overseas relative has been punted to a charity shop?

Nice gesture.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post

Get over it.
    It would I guess if I had been advised there may be tax payable and the package has been sent from overseas.

Unfortunately there process is wrong and contrary to their own website and that of our government.

Either way it's sorted now and onto round two in france. Fortunately the laws are a lot more vague over there regarding packages delivered before notice is given.

Craftsman
    So a gift from an overseas relative has been punted to a charity shop?

Nice gesture.
    Yes I also have an inheritance to charity it's not an issue for me

Yes I also have an inheritance to charity it's not an issue for me
    ????

You donated an inheritance or a relative donated it?

Craftsman
    ????

You donated an inheritance or a relative donated it?
    I received it. I did not like how things were done had I not taken the money it would have went to the person I had issue with so I donated in on receipt in the name of the deceased.

I received it. I did not like how things were done had I not taken the money it would have went to the person I had issue with so I donated in on receipt in the name of the deceased.

Master
    Sadly the Brexit effect.
    Not sure that tax on silk pyjamas was a key factor in many voters’ minds.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The shipper is not a company who I have a contract with they can do as they like but does not make it legal or enforceable.
    The shipper was your wife’s parents.

That said if the credit note includes the VAT and not just the handling fee then you’re quids in.