closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is It Like Getting Builders/Tradesmen These Days?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    All well and good to look at a day rate and calculate it but with physical jobs you have to look at career/lifetime earnings. Plenty of 60 year olds in offices typing away but can’t remember the last time I saw one up a ladder.
    You don’t want to be a 65 year old postman then doing about 25k steps a day

Master
    All well and good to look at a day rate and calculate it but with physical jobs you have to look at career/lifetime earnings. Plenty of 60 year olds in offices typing away but can’t remember the last time I saw one up a ladder.
    Exactly, some people just don’t get it & think an ancient degree they have makes them better than a tradesman.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    1984 left school, left home,started on a pound and hour hod carrying for a gang and today i work 40 weeks a year to keep me in cars holidays and watches.
    Fair play to you. It sounds like proper graft over the years which takes its toll.

What Is It Like Getting Builders/Tradesmen These Days?

Plenty of 60 year olds in offices typing away but can’t remember the last time I saw one up a ladder.
    I am noticing a big change since COVID with the 60 year old desk jockeys. Definitely less of them about in my industry which may be down to quiet quitting.

At 55 I feel noticeably old in my office despite being 12 years from state pension age.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    You don’t want to be a 65 year old postman then doing about 25k steps a day
    Ignoring scoliosis that’s the sort of job that will keep you living longer than a lump like me sat at a desk or in a car all day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Intriguing comments on the money here, what do people think that tradies should charge,gross,no holiday pay,sick,van,tools,bad weather, no pension days off,overhead,bad debt, margin etc etc?
    All self employed people have the no holiday pay etc. issue not just trades.

I’ve hired loads of trades over the years, I’ve never asked the day rate. I get a quote to do a job and go from there.

If they complete the task faster than expected I view that as a result as long as standards are as expected.

Right now I fear some quotes are beyond what is economically viable.

Ignoring scoliosis that’s the sort of job that will keep you living longer than a lump like me sat at a desk or in a car all day.
    When my business went pear-shaped during Covid, I was absolutely intent on becoming a postman; sadly I couldn’t quite pull it off. Things have moved on since then but I was quite serious about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    When my business went pear-shaped during Covid, I was absolutely intent on becoming a postman; sadly I couldn’t quite pull it off. Things have moved on since then but I was quite serious about it.
    I often look at my postman and consider it as a career option in the future. When he is out in the pouring rain however, I have a slightly different view as to that consideration.

Cannot deny the health benefits as Wiley mentions vs sitting at a desk.

I know someone in their early sixties who made a very good living from being a window-cleaner for about 40 years.

He is absolutely wrecked. Neck, shoulders, hands, wrists, hips, knees, ankles & feet all give him constant trouble.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If we want to moan about the cost of labour let’s start a thread about solicitors.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It’s not a bad shout depending on the patch. I think I’ve got another 15 years or so left in my in office jobs and then I need to go and do something like that, outdoors and moving.

I can’t face 20+ years of hearing people talk about bandwidth, taking things offline, or parking conversion topics. And that’s before you get to the soul destroying toxic positivity.

I can’t face 20+ years of hearing people talk about bandwidth, taking things offline, or parking conversion topics. And that’s before you get to the soul destroying toxic positivity.

Come on - you love it really!

You'll be starting every response with "So................ " soon.

Master
    It’s not a bad shout depending on the patch. I think I’ve got another 15 years or so left in my in office jobs and then I need to go and do something like that, outdoors and moving.

It’s not as easy as most people think
    I’ve seen plenty come and go - a good, experienced postal worker will make it look easy - I’ve had guys in their early 20’s almost scoff at great women posties - then a few days later can’t believe how easly they make it appear.

Master

What Is It Like Getting Builders/Tradesmen These Days?

Indeed it will. You don’t see many fat old men these days. They die young . Sad but true. I’m 52 and a postman and healthier than I ever was between 30-49 years old. Walking 10-12 miles a day will sort that gut out.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 13th February 2024 at 17:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    It’s not as easy as most people think
    I’ve seen plenty come and go - a good, experienced postal worker will make it look easy - I’ve had guys in their early 20’s almost scoff at great women posties - then a few days later can’t believe how easly they make it appear.
    Very very true. We have had 4 new starters at our office since mid November . Non have lasted more than a month as they have found it physically too hard day in day out. Great job for later life though if you spent your 25-50 in a sitting environment looking at screens as I did.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Mate of mine is looking to get some landscaping done, bit of fencing, patio and a couple of walls built. Not really a big area, was quoted £47k. Was telling the wife this, who is the office manager for a kitchen manufacturer and she told me their plasterer was on £450 a day. Flabbergasted.
    As a follow up to this.
    My mate agreed a price of £23k with a company for the landscaping work he wants doing. Meant to start last Monday, never turned up and they haven’t bothered to call him.

As a follow up to this.
    My mate agreed a price of £23k with a company for the landscaping work he wants doing. Meant to start last Monday, never turned up and they haven’t bothered to call him.
    Welcome to Britain.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    As a follow up to this.
    Unbelievable.
    What's the firm Speedy just so I can avoid them.

I’m after a builder in SE London if anyone has any recommendations?

Master
    An interior designer in my small local market town is paying £350 a day to a man to fit curtains — rails, poles etc.

Madness

I need about 10 4x4 fenceposts renewed and the panels refitted together with new gravelboards.

Contractor A: lives in central belt and just deals via his phone. Sent detailed photos and got an estimate (but of course - by phone) fence only £1,200.
    Contractor B: Lives about 30miles away, came round to have a look, seemed interested - never heard from him again.
    Contractor C: Lives about 20miles away (used him for a one-off grass cutting before) - sent him all the details........ No response.

Contractor D: Lives about 15miles away - came round, discussed the best method, quoted £500/day and including additional hard border work and clearing beds + adding membrane/shingle - reckons a day and a half will do it. All details and spec agreed. I believe there will be 3 of them and he's coming Thursday to do the work. £500/day for all three of them. I reckon it will be around £1,100 all in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m after a builder in SE London if anyone has any recommendations?
    Drop me a PM if you like- I'm a partner in a building business.
    Thanks, R