closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fibre broadband providers

Journeyman

Fibre broadband providers

So, I’m sure I should read Trustpilot reviews but most only register their opinion when they are unhappy.
    Been with BT fibre 900 for 18 months now , they are getting very expensive…. City fibre have a deal with them £200 to sign up to one of their players. Vodafone seem best with wifi6 4g backup etc for £30 a month cheaper than BT. Anyone got anything positive to say about their service? Could be a big saver if I switch…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been with Zen now for a few months after being with Virgin for years. They use Openreach so I’m guessing complaints from many people for different providers may actually be with Openreach on the backend.

£45pm for their full fibre 500 package. Not the cheapest but if you ever need to call they’re all UK based and and are all Zen employees.

Craftsman
    Cityfibre one of worst companies I've ever had displeasure of dealing with. Scratch that, outright the worst.

Non-existent customer service skills, no Comms, lack of delivery in anything, lack of caring about anything, my experience has been singularly tragic.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Vodafone are a total nightmare if anything goes wrong. Zen were brilliant for customer service but they just use the Openreach infrastructure and I ended up with a much better deal with BT.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    Dare I ask what could go wrong if it’s using the existing fibre to the premises…

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Dare I ask what could go wrong if it’s using the existing fibre to the premises…
    Vodafone didn't use the existing fibre, they arranged for a third party contractor to pull in a new one and they cocked up the termination so it kept dropping out. It took hours of messing with a chatbot to get through to a real person who was located somewhere on the subcontinent, and all they were able to do was arrange a revisit at an unspecified time within the next two weeks. That was enough, I cancelled the contract as it was still within the cool off. I need to be confident that the family can easily contact proper customer support should things go awry when I am away.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Another vote for Zen we are on their fixed price £38 ish / month 100mb. We are Fttp and can get 1Gb to the plot with Zen. In 3 1/2 years never had a minutes outage, speed check always shows 102/103 download irrespective of time of day. Used to pass their head office near the M62. Highly recommended

Journeyman
    Zen look quite good actually, price is competitive. Will try calling them today to see how their customer service experience is..

Still waiting for CityFibre to finish connecting the fibre they dug the road up for almost 2 years ago now, as I understand it City Fibre provide the infrastructure and various ISPs then sell the service.

Did see a CF van at the end of the road so hopefully we will get connected soon.

I will be going for someone like Zen when they do, my Sky BB is out of contract so hopefully not too loing now

Master
    I picked Zen for my first foray into fibre. That was based on their excellent customer service reputation. No complaints about the service but think my choice of 300Mbps was well over the top for my needs.

My connection is via CityFibre and they sent me a referral thing for £25 each if anyone would like.
    Last edited by David_D; 10th February 2024 at 12:04.

Master
    Zen are good but they refuse to explain why they should charge £6/mo extra over the current charge just to have Digital Voice when the analogue line is replaced. I'd end up paying more for the same functionality I get now with my analogue landline.

Craftsman
    I’d also strongly recommend Zen. I’ve had their 300mb service for coming up to a year and it’s been rock solid and good value at £31 a month.

It’s FTTP using cityfibre infrastructure. This had been dug into our streets a year or so earlier and all the Zen installers had to do was blow the fibre back to the cabinet which was interesting to observe. The installation took about an hour and was trouble free.

I’d suspect that experiences may vary because everyone seems to use 3rd party contractors for the actual installation spade work. For example the contractor that cityfibre used in our area suddenly went bust and left some areas only partially completed. Fortunately, not us!

City Fibre provided the fibre to the street, no issues whatsoever. Our new ISP, Pure Broadband, went above and beyond, at no extra cost, to route the fibre from the street to the house, (a complex run which involved a lot of digging and the lifting and replacing of block paving - you couldn't see where they'd been when they'd finished.

£30 per month for 200Mbs both upstream and downstream, which more than meets our needs, provides a far more reliable service than the old BT over aluminium, (not even copper!), wires; and saved us a fortune in the process. The ability to use VOIP at no cost from Pure was an added bonus.

They have subsequently been acquired by Connexin but, while the excellent service we enjoy continues, Connexin does not offer services in our area as they are concentrating on Hull via their own fibre, so not sure if we will need to change ISP at some time in the future.

Virgin has recently also run fibre into the street and they made a right mess everywhere in doing it
    Last edited by Griswold; 10th February 2024 at 12:56.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Journeyman
    Well, maybe I’m getting old , but I called zen this morning… within 5 seconds a human, yup an actual person, answered! Really helpful too…
    Will be their next customer …

And I bet you could understand what they were saying too. Always helps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Still waiting for CityFibre to finish connecting the fibre they dug the road up for almost 2 years ago now, as I understand it City Fibre provide the infrastructure and various ISPs then sell the service.

Did see a CF van at the end of the road so hopefully we will get connected soon.

I will be going for someone like Zen when they do, my Sky BB is out of contract so hopefully not too loing now
    I have photos from Nov 2020 where CF came and dug up my road to lay fibre. Still don't have fibre connectivity available despite them emailing me regularly to say 'Congrats you are connected!'.

I've tried ordering through Vodafone who are only supplier currently, but they partner with CF for the actual install and have cancelled the job every time (been going on since August last year) with excuse of 'technical fault' but despite many hours of effort no detail on the fault has been made available.

The worst is they have plastered CF flyers everywhere saying Fibre is available, insult to injury. They are woeful.

My ISP is IDNet (fibre unlimited)
    Not the cheapest (currently £46.20 per month)
    I have been with them since November 2018. Prior to that I was with Plusnet.
    Plus net went down. After several hours trying (and failing) to speak to someone who was willing to a) pick up the phone, b) not transfer me to another service (who wouldn't pick up the phone) and c) would actually be able to solve the problem, whatever it was [not at my end in any case], I called IDNet.
    Somebody picked up the phone on the 4th ring. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Then she told me she was not normally customer facing, she was an engineer, but that if the customer lines were unanswered at the 3rd ring all technical phone lines were ringing. She ran a few tests, confirmed it was not on my end and I transferred the next day (it may have taken a bit longer).
    Never had a problem since. Ironically, never needed to call them since.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    And I bet you could understand what they were saying too. Always helps.
    Im not so sure , these guys are from Rochdale tha knows !

Im a big fan of Zen and I think you have made a great choice

Another vote for Zen, I have been with them for 18 years. The builder managed to cut the phone line and Zen got it fixed the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I have photos from Nov 2020 where CF came and dug up my road to lay fibre. Still don't have fibre connectivity available despite them emailing me regularly to say 'Congrats you are connected!'.

I've tried ordering through Vodafone who are only supplier currently, but they partner with CF for the actual install and have cancelled the job every time (been going on since August last year) with excuse of 'technical fault' but despite many hours of effort no detail on the fault has been made available.

The worst is they have plastered CF flyers everywhere saying Fibre is available, insult to injury. They are woeful.

Possibly to do with grants, when Gigaclear were canvassing our area, the flyer said we had to express interest and register that so they can claim grants to progress, I’m speculating but they might get more money if they say they have delivered.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    We’re with Hyperoptic. It’s been good until the end of the contract when they Jack the fees up unless you renew the contract.

I pay £29 a month for 250Mb
    12 month contract, first three free.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Possibly to do with grants, when Gigaclear were canvassing our area, the flyer said we had to express interest and register that so they can claim grants to progress, I’m speculating but they might get more money if they say they have delivered.
    It's a fair stab at it, whatever the reason it's really annoying! They haven't done what they are saying on the flyers - it's a lie.

Won't go into full story but have raised with local councillors and all sorts. Been a saga still with no end. CF had plenty of opportunity to explain what their challenges might be but they've been a disaster from every conceivable angle.

Master
    We just switched from Virgin Media to Community Fibre and are very happy with it so far. 1gb both upstream and downstream, for just £25/month, first 6 months free. We were paying £84/month with virgin for 500mb! CF also do a 3gb service for £49/month but multi-gb mesh routers are prohibitively expensive at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app