closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing Ring Doorbell

Craftsman

Replacing Ring Doorbell

I'm looking to replace my Ring Pro Doorbell, an indoor camera and 3-4 chimes. It's never been fantastic with my BT wifi discs and I've just got the price increase email referenced here: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68250127
    Price going from £35 per device per year to £50 /year. There's no way I want to pay £100 a year for this!

Looking for something mains powered only. I've heard of Eufy but don't know anyone who uses them. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ethos; 10th February 2024 at 10:37. Reason: completeness

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I'm looking to replace my Ring Pro Doorbell, an indoor camera and 3-4 chimes. It's never been fantastic with my BT wifi discs and I've just got the price increase email referenced here: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68250127
    Price going from £35 per device per year. There's no way I want to pay £100 a year for this!

Looking for something mains powered only. I've heard of Eufy but don't know anyone who uses them. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Just got the email, that’s a fair old increase!

I'm getting rid of mine, 2 years ago it was around £25 quid, almost doubled in that time, simply not worth it...

Craftsman
    Eufy here….excellent kit for me…no subs..battery charge around 6 months

I’d recommend a Tapo , I fitted one for myself and my mother and they work perfectly with no subscription costs and saves files to a sd card
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C8B6YY...629781_TE_item

Craftsman
    Had the email as well this morning. Literally only had their doorbell installed for two months, and now they want a whopping great increase ...

Starting to really loathe this modern trend of everything being subscription-based ... I guess the simple answer is just cancel the lot of it.

I quite like our Ring doorbell but there's always a limit to how much you're prepared to pay. The limit has been breached now so I've cancelled my renewal. I'm sure others will do the same

I got rid of ours some time ago and switched to a Blink. 64Gb micro-USB and no subscription. You cannot record any live feed that you use, but you get the triggered ones saved and accessible via the app.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Eufy here. Free local storage and you can record the live feed.

I have liked Ring but cancelled the subscription yesterday due to it doubling in price since I fitted it, a shame.

Craftsman
    Certainly avoid Google or Nest. Rubbish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I’d recommend a Tapo , I fitted one for myself and my mother and they work perfectly with no subscription costs and saves files to a sd card
    Where are the files stored? On the unit, if so doesn’t the burglar just steal the unit?

Don’t you want all recording in the cloud?

Master
    All my equipment is UniFi no subscription but it’s kinda prosumer gear so you need a little knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    All my equipment is UniFi no subscription but it’s kinda prosumer gear so you need a little knowledge
    Yep, just added two more cameras and an extra floodlight this week. Had to upgrade to 8TB which was £200 but the quality is great. Will change from Nest to their doorbell when the G5 is out.

I have a ring setup with doorbell, 3 external cameras, 2 internal cameras and a ring alarm with sensors. I’ve always paid £80 a year, I think it’s called Ring Protect Plus. I’ve not had any notification of price increases; not sure whether that will increase too?

I’d consider moving it all over to something else as I’ve always found the WiFi connectivity to be really bad; but it does work and I like having all the cameras, doorbell and alarm on one app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Do they have a house alarm system? I have a ubiquiti cloudkey gen 2 and WiFi nodes around the house so that could be an option for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Do they have a house alarm system? I have a ubiquiti cloudkey gen 2 and WiFi nodes around the house so that could be an option for me.

not sure about an alarm , I have doorbell and several cameras

Eufi here as well, all be it for door bell only. Excluded Ring from the start because of the subscription. No problem at all, although a bit basic (but then I wanted a door bell and this one allows me to speak to the courier while I am out walking the dog so how dare I complain?)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Where are the files stored? On the unit, if so doesn’t the burglar just steal the unit?

Don’t you want all recording in the cloud?
    Cloud options are available with subscription, the sd storage suits me fine

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    I have a ring setup with doorbell, 3 external cameras, 2 internal cameras and a ring alarm with sensors. I’ve always paid £80 a year, I think it’s called Ring Protect Plus. I’ve not had any notification of price increases; not sure whether that will increase too?

I’d consider moving it all over to something else as I’ve always found the WiFi connectivity to be really bad; but it does work and I like having all the cameras, doorbell and alarm on one app.

Same here, Ring alarm and multiple cameras/ doorbells. No email as yet but I'm sure it won't be immune from the increases.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

We have a Blink doorbell which records clips to a USB. Ours is wired to the mains, but requires 2 x AA lithium batteries which are supplied.
    Works well.

^^^ Forgot to mention you'll need a Sync Module 2 for it too.

Craftsman
    Thanks for replies so far - please keep them coming! I'm off to do some research.

Given their web chat currently has a 30min wait time, I'm guessing there's a fair number of people cancelling!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Ring system, doorbell, alarm and 3 cameras. All linked to the single app and cloud storage. I pay £80 per year subscription and have had no increase.

Craftsman
    A quick look again at the reviews of all Ring's competitors' products, and it does remind me why I went with them in the first place ... :-)

Blog Entries
    I have a Ring system, doorbell, alarm and 3 cameras. All linked to the single app and cloud storage. I pay £80 per year subscription and have had no increase.
    Same as that. 5 cameras 2 doorbells. £80 a year.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Same. I switched from a Google Nest Doorbell because of subscription prices. TAPO is a bit uglier but the camera is better and you can swap out batteries so there is no downtime for charging.

Same here. No notice of an increase as yet. £80 a year for as many devices as I'd like to have, plus a discount on additional purchases, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    Eufy here….excellent kit for me…no subs..battery charge around 6 months
    snap! good kit to!

Craftsman
    For those who've got Ring and want to keep it at the lower price as long as possible, I understand you can cancel your current subscription before March 11 and start a new one. You'll get a prorated refund for your current one and lock in the lower prices until March next year. At least buy more time while you sort out how to replace it.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Cloud options are available with subscription, the sd storage suits me fine
    The blink storage unit is about the size of a pack of cards and can be anywhere in the house it gets WiFi and power. Easy to hide to the point if the scrote has time to find it they have time to trip the house electric before entering

Craftsman
    We had a hard wired (for power) WiFi Dahua video doorbell and small screen installed for a one off fee without subscription.
    It works very well and has an app so you can answer the doorbell on your phone if needed.
    We wanted extra security so had cameras installed too, all of which record onto a video recorder in the loft. 30 days footage stored for each.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If anyone is still considering a new doorbell Nest Aware is now part of Google One so if you’re paying for Google Drive it’s now included.

I usually pay £60pa for Nest Aware and £80pa for Google One (2TB Drive) so this is saving me £60pa and I have a £16 refund coming back to me in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If anyone is still considering a new doorbell Nest Aware is now part of Google One so if you’re paying for Google Drive it’s now included.

I usually pay £60pa for Nest Aware and £80pa for Google One (2TB Drive) so this is saving me £60pa and I have a £16 refund coming back to me in a few days.
    You don't get something for nothing. I'd bet on a price rise to Google One imminently. I reckon their Nest Aware subscribers at £60pa were dwindling. Bundle it into Google One and get everyone to pay for it with a future price rise dependent on the ratio of Google One subscribers to Nest Aware subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    You don't get something for nothing. I'd bet on a price rise to Google One imminently. I reckon their Nest Aware subscribers at £60pa were dwindling. Bundle it into Google One and get everyone to pay for it with a future price rise dependent on the ratio of Google One subscribers to Nest Aware subscribers.
    I’d say the price of Google One/Cloud will increase but unlikely to be £60pa

I think it might be a deliberate plan to bolster their ecosystem while Ring users are reeling from price rises and Microsoft’s Cloud is doing really well.

Find out soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’d say the price of Google One/Cloud will increase but unlikely to be £60pa

I think it might be a deliberate plan to bolster their ecosystem while Ring users are reeling from price rises and Microsoft’s Cloud is doing really well.

Find out soon enough
    Agree, I reckon the numebr of Google One subscribers outnumbers the numebr of Nest Aware so they can break even with a less than £60 price increase. Those that use Nest products win. I'm a Google One subscriber and only a few weeks ago, I got rid of all mine for TAPO...doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Agree, I reckon the numebr of Google One subscribers outnumbers the numebr of Nest Aware so they can break even with a less than £60 price increase. Those that use Nest products win. I'm a Google One subscriber and only a few weeks ago, I got rid of all mine for TAPO...doh!
    The annoyance with Google one is the tiers. £80 for 2TB or £200 for 5TB. Im at 92% used and it’s cheaper for me to boot my in-laws off mine and pay for another 2TB on a different account than it is to upgrade.

Just bought some Tapo wifi plugs and they look like good stuff.