closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ultra Processed Food.

Master
    Blog Entries

Ultra Processed Food.

Just watched this, really interesting lecture.

https://youtu.be/5QOTBreQaIk?si=z5UL0HX_tAOqTovi

Modified my views on obesity…
    Last edited by Montello; 9th February 2024 at 18:50.

Master
    I believe Chris VT has written a book on this subject. My wife had it out of a digital library recently. The key takeaway for her was the ultra processed food contains products that create strong desires in the people consuming them that are borderline addictive. Hence the consumption obesity cycle perpetuates.

Steve

Master
    Looks interesting. Just watched a few mins. Will find the time to watch it all! Thanks for posting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to see how he repeatedly likens UPF to tobacco.

He’s a really good presenter and knows his stuff. Basically, don’t eat shit. If it’s full of chemicals, sugar and salt, leave it on the shelf in the supermarket. I haven’t had anything like that for ages and it’s transformational.

I have a friend who is borderline obsessed with this stuff and is always telling me that everything I eat will kill me.

The trouble is, every video she points me to is about corn syrup, salt and sugar in quantities that exceed what we typically see in the UK.

Sure there are some 'ready meals' that reach these crazy levels of shit in them, but if you eat fresh meat, fruit and veg, you're not taking on the quantities that most of these videos (I'll admit, I've not watched that one, I've seen too many already) suggest.

She tells me that ALL bread will kill me, drinking fruit juice will kill me (eating fresh fruit is nearly as bad) and that any cereal is the worst thing possible.

If you live on a diet of Big Macs, microwave meals and KFC and only drink full fat Coke, you already know you're not doing yourself any good.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I was on medication 3x daily for years while eating ultra processed food. Awful skin issues all over my body and a good few nhs referrals, but they never found the cause.

I still eat way too much and have a true TZ centre of gravity but since cutting out the super processed stuff and eating more meat (grilled) and quality eggs (in butter or ghee) I haven’t had a tablet in over a year.

Store bought bread, soft drinks, smoothies and orange juice were also doing me in.

I now eat a 70% organic food diet, eat a lot of eggs, don’t use seed oils, only olive and Coconut. I eat a lot of Dark Chocolate and have fruit juice on Sundays. If I eat sugar it’s raw can sugar, maple syrup and not the processed fructose glucose syrups. To think out grand parents never ate any of these additives, sweeteners that fill our food today and I believe it’s the food chain responsible for the increase in cancers and heart disease today.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have a friend who is borderline obsessed with this stuff and is always telling me that everything I eat will kill me.

The trouble is, every video she points me to is about corn syrup, salt and sugar in quantities that exceed what we typically see in the UK.

Sure there are some 'ready meals' that reach these crazy levels of shit in them, but if you eat fresh meat, fruit and veg, you're not taking on the quantities that most of these videos (I'll admit, I've not watched that one, I've seen too many already) suggest.

She tells me that ALL bread will kill me, drinking fruit juice will kill me (eating fresh fruit is nearly as bad) and that any cereal is the worst thing possible.

If you live on a diet of Big Macs, microwave meals and KFC and only drink full fat Coke, you already know you're not doing yourself any good.
    Your friend sounds like a food extremist. The link I posted is informative and moderate … not some alarmist YouTuber.

The sad fact is 60% of calories consumed in the UK are UPF, 80% in young people.

It’s not about foods “killing you” it’s about education and well being.

Master
    Am lucky enough to have the time, and the love of cooking to scratch cook every evening & tinker in the kitchen for as long as I want, find it ever so relaxing.

We were talking at the weekend that we cannot remember the last time we purchased a jar or some form of sauce, got rid of the air fryer as was too small for anything good and encouraged poor food choices.

We eat a lot of meat, I just enjoy it & won’t see that changing. Yes, it’s expensive but really enjoy trying different breeds & cuts, I’m not buying watches at the moment so spend it on food instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    The food my grandparents use to eat daily would be considered a “diet” by many today.
    There’s so much miss information and scaremongery on social media today it’s no surprise that some people struggle to find a balanced approach to food.

Lots of good advice in CVT's presentation particularly in relation to the calorie counting fallacy and the fact that exercise is not necessarily a means of losing weight.
    However, there are those who will never ever accept these proven facts – and they'll continue to lose weight and then put it all back on again.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    My partner is vegan and has been advocating a UPF free diet for a couple of years now. There's no denying the science behind it and that as a society we've regularised eating far too much UPF made by companies motivated by profit; pay attention walking down any high street, attending any event etc and you can't help but notice the increasing number of people who are overweight.
    A good Govt would be across this epidemic with education/regulation but they're too afraid of the backlash from the public/their paymasters to do what's needed now so we'll see far worse consequences before any turn in the tide of obesity/poor quality food consumption.
    Everything in moderation is still a factor for me but the more you recognise the problem, the easier it is to be motivated to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Lots of good advice in CVT's presentation particularly in relation to the calorie counting fallacy and the fact that exercise is not necessarily a means of losing weight.
    However, there are those who will never ever accept these proven facts – and they'll continue to lose weight and then put it all back on again.
    Yeah, there was a young girl working in the same office as me last year - who is a world-class gymnast , who when she goes for an offshore medical - gets listed as 'clinically obese'! (short and muscular)

When you look at all the ailments that seem to have exploded over the last 50yrs - there must be a lot due to diet, and in particular UPFs?

Did we even have nut allergies back in the '60s/'70s ? Never mind that more foods contain nut oil etc now - I don't remember anyone dying from eating a peanut (other than by choking to death).

Blog Entries
    Just eat healthy, not to much, and every now and then indulge in something bad, if that's your thing.
    Getting to obsessed about it will kill you because of the stress of being obsessed about it.

There's always someone somewhere who's discovered a new diët that will magically save you.

Also just don't eat all day, have breakfast, a lunch and dinner and stop eating in between constantly.

Oh, and except for M&S I didn't see many healthy ready meals in the UK, but maybe there are more sellers. At my supermarket they have quite healthy steam take-away meals with fresh vegetables, rice or pasta, good stuff.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Just eat healthy, not to much, and every now and then indulge in something bad, if that's your thing.
    Getting to obsessed about it will kill you because of the stress of being obsessed about it.

There's always someone somewhere who's discovered a new diët that will magically save you.

Also just don't eat all day, have breakfast, a lunch and dinner and stop eating in between constantly.

Oh, and except for M&S I didn't see many healthy ready meals in the UK, but maybe there are more sellers. At my supermarket they have quite healthy steam take-away meals with fresh vegetables, rice or pasta, good stuff.
    One of the Yank Bil's, he's tried several diets over the last decade including that meat heavy one that makes your breath stink and destroys toilets, finally 'cracked' it with wegovy is it, that new weight loss injection...whether he can maintain without the drug is what we find out going forwards...basically it's cheating certainly in his case, he should stop buying/eating crap try a piece of fruit, cut way back on the binging...ya don't have to eat the whole bag of crisps/ cookies in one sitting and move more.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

She's right though.

And unfortunately, most people in the UK don't know how bad the food they're eating is for them and their family.