closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advise on family holiday in UK?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    With 3 kids like the OP's family, I would always arrange things around them: adolescents are a difficult audience. Endless drives and long walks surrounded only by breathtaking scenery doesn't cut the mustard. I already suggested (van a PM) surflng in / near Wales. But perhaps there are other destinations. A few things that I can come up with: Harry Potter movie locations, Clarkson's Farm (with a lunch), Beaulieu Car Museum, Red Bull's Factory Tour and of course: London.

Ask me this about the Netherlands and without hard thinking, I can come up with 10 spots interesting for older kids. I'm sure that the UK has a lot more to offer than 10. Perhaps this will help the OP's itinerary?
    If wales is on the agenda I’d recommend going to Go below near the beautiful Betws-Y-Coed

I would definitely go to Cornwall. The beaches are super, and it’s a completely different vibe. The drive is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I would definitely go to Cornwall. The beaches are super, and it’s a completely different vibe. The drive is worth it.
    Definitely we had lots of nice holidays in Cornwall when the kids were little, I’d recommend a boat trip mackerel fishing St Mawes is a nice spot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    OP I would recommend Suffolk and Norfolk. Norfolk in the area around Sandringham all the way round to Southwold in Suffolk. Britain at it's best.
    I was going to say very similar to this for nice places within easy reach. Both lovely.

Master
    Another fan of Suffolk here. Had plenty of family summer holidays there over the last ten years. I can't remember any of them being a complete wash out. A couple of days rain in a fortnight perhaps.

As already said London, Cambridge and Ely are a day trip away(although London may be an early start).

Cornwall is a long old shlep from Dover and probably best broken up by an overnight stop on the way. It can also get very crowded in the summer which can be tricky on the narrow lanes.

South Wales is a good call, it probably offers everything that Cornwall does except, possibly less busy. Friends of mine have been summering in Tenby for years and absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Another fan of Suffolk here. Had plenty of family summer holidays there over the last ten years. I can't remember any of them being a complete wash out. A couple of days rain in a fortnight perhaps.

As already said London, Cambridge and Ely are a day trip away(although London may be an early start).

Cornwall is a long old shlep from Dover and probably best broken up by an overnight stop on the way. It can also get very crowded in the summer which can be tricky on the narrow lanes.

South Wales is a good call, it probably offers everything that Cornwall does except, possibly less busy. Friends of mine have been summering in Tenby for years and absolutely love it.
    5hrs 30min from Dover to Looe…………….. ?

Maybe need an overnighter in a Hillman Minx, but …………..

Seriously though, download this (or the equivalent on Android) before you decide on your destination/choice of activities :

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/safer-...e/id1458786821
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    5hrs 30min from Dover to Looe…………….. ?

Maybe need an overnighter in a Hillman Minx, but …………..
    Once a year I travel down to Exeter from J28 of the M25 and it usually takes between four and five hours. Cornwall is a bit further beyond.

Obviously it does depend on time of day and day of the week you travel. Friday evenings are the worst. Made that mistake once and it took seven and half hours.

Perhaps a break is a bit extreme but I find driving long distance in this country hard work. I like my holidays to be relaxed so splitting up long drives helps. I'm sounding twenty years older than I am.

Thanks again for all your input. I'm leaning towards the Norfolk route, but I will have to persuade my wife. If we choose Dover-Cornwall I'll take your advice and plan an extra stop halfway there.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Norfolk route.
    You’ll certainly feel at home.

Ps. I’m not deriding East Anglia, I remember having great times at places like Brancaster, Wells, Cromer, Southwold, Dunwich…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk