closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advise on family holiday in UK?

Any advise on family holiday in UK?

This summer we (me, my wife and three kids ages 10-18) are planning to spend our summer holiday in the UK. The general idea is to stay in the southern part of the country: take the ferry or tunnel to Dover, drive to Cornwall for a week's stay at the coast, then go a little further north (Cotswolds? Brecon Beacons?) for a week or so and finally spend a few days in London.

It's been years since I visited the UK (and this is the first time with the family) so any advise would be greatly appreciated. Places to visit, places to stay, places to avoid, alternatives to our destinations, the best way to discover London with a family without going bankrupt etc. Any ideas? The kids prefer to do as little as possible but with a pretty backdrop. My wife and I would like to be a little more active and like nature, hikes and city/village visits. Good food and nice beer are a must. ;)

Any pointers are very welcome!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cornwall is lovely but as you invited suggestions for alternative destinations, if you arrive in Harwich, you have East Anglia (Norfolk and Suffolk) on your doorstep - there are lovely beaches, towns and villages to explore without a very long drive to the south-west. A short hop to the Cotswolds and London as well.

Ah! The excitement of visiting third world countries!
    Just make sure your health insurance includes access to private care.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Great advice, just one big ray of sunshine.

I think you have made good choices, the Cotswolds and west to the Brecons.

I have always liked the areas going west into the borders. Forest of Dean (wild pigs), Wye Valley (canoeing), Brecons (wild horses), Usk Valley, Monmouth and Brecon Canal and north along Offa's Dyke and the Shropshire Hills. Opportunities for relaxing walking, cycling and on the water.

If you are in London, see the sights, but maybe a day in an outer borough to see a different side. In Richmond great views from the fabulous park back to the city (there's a binocular viewing point) and on Richmond Hill looking out at the Thames running from the south and west. Very nice walk or cycling along the Thames here, either to Teddington and further on to Hampton Court or the other way to Kew Gardens.

Get off the tunnel in Folkstone and drive until you see this sign>

My advice is....don't do it. The weather will be awful to horrendous, everything's too expensive and nothing works properly. Honestly, go to a different country. Maybe think about a London city break for a few nights but don't waste your annual holiday here.

Blog Entries
    I mean who would choose to live here?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hmmm, I wonder how long the drive from Dover to Cornwall would take in peak season? Days

As JonRA suggested, I would look at Suffolk and Norfolk – lovely beaches, mostly clean sea and good beer (if that's your thing). On the way back, stop for a couple of nights in Cambridge, then onto London for a few nights.

If you were intent on the South West, then Dorset and Devon are lovely, with clean beaches and sea, plus beautiful surrounding landscapes or cities if you want a change.

Cornwall is vastly overrated IMO and full of knobbers during summer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a fan of the Jurassic coast.
    We stayed in Charmouth for years. Just along was Lyme Regis. Both lovely. You’re on the doorstep of Devon too. If keeping a little nearer to the action, the New Forest is excellent. If you want a stop over when you get to Dover, pop up to Deal. Cracking little town.

As above, Southwold is nice too

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Cornwall is lovely but as you invited suggestions for alternative destinations, if you arrive in Harwich, you have East Anglia (Norfolk and Suffolk) on your doorstep - there are lovely beaches, towns and villages to explore without a very long drive to the south-west. A short hop to the Cotswolds and London as well.
    Good advice, thanks. It's just that my wife isn't looking forward to the ferry crossing, so the shorter the better. I'll look into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I think you have made good choices, the Cotswolds and west to the Brecons.

I have always liked the areas going west into the borders. Forest of Dean (wild pigs), Wye Valley (canoeing), Brecons (wild horses), Usk Valley, Monmouth and Brecon Canal and north along Offa's Dyke and the Shropshire Hills. Opportunities for relaxing walking, cycling and on the water.

If you are in London, see the sights, but maybe a day in an outer borough to see a different side. In Richmond great views from the fabulous park back to the city (there's a binocular viewing point) and on Richmond Hill looking out at the Thames running from the south and west. Very nice walk or cycling along the Thames here, either to Teddington and further on to Hampton Court or the other way to Kew Gardens.
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll do my research.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Hehe, will do someday but not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder how long the drive from Dover to Cornwall would take in peak season? Days

As JonRA suggested, I would look at Suffolk and Norfolk – lovely beaches, mostly clean sea and good beer (if that's your thing). On the way back, stop for a couple of nights in Cambridge, then onto London for a few nights.

If you were intent on the South West, then Dorset and Devon are lovely, with clean beaches and sea, plus beautiful surrounding landscapes or cities if you want a change.

Cornwall is vastly overrated IMO and full of knobbers during summer.
    Thanks for that. I was worried about that, but this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I’m a fan of the Jurassic coast.
    We stayed in Charmouth for years. Just along was Lyme Regis. Both lovely. You’re on the doorstep of Devon too. If keeping a little nearer to the action, the New Forest is excellent. If you want a stop over when you get to Dover, pop up to Deal. Cracking little town.

As above, Southwold is nice too
    ...could be an answer to that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Indeed. I should know, I came to a lovely country, with a great health service, a respect for the environment... to name just a few and keep it to G&D standards.

To say things have change since 1997 in this respect is a bit of an understatement.

Indeed. I should know, I came to a lovely country, with a great health service, a respect for the environment... to name just a few and keep it to G&D standards.

To say things have change since 1997 in this respect is a bit of an understatement.
    You should have been here in the 50s/60s and see how it had changed by the late 90s !! :)

op: Norfolk can be very nice in places.

Craftsman
    Forget the south, come north. Overnight ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle. You have Northumberland, Lake District, and the Scottish borders close by. Loads of beaches, activities and history to see and enjoy. Bring waterproofs though!

Stay in the New Forrest, it’s lovely.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries

I agree. 1997 seems to have been a turning point.

It was definitely after 2010 that things really started to collapse. Sigh!

Blog Entries
    OP I would recommend Suffolk and Norfolk. Norfolk in the area around Sandringham all the way round to Southwold in Suffolk. Britain at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Ah the sunshine border (as my Scottish friend calls it). Quite accurate too in my experience. Beyond that sign you'll need thermals and your big coat, unless you go in Summer and you'll need to pack your Midge nets too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It was definitely after 2010 that things really started to collapse. Sigh!

People have short memories, there were some very dark times in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The 2000s were like a utopia in comparison to today.

Jeez what a lot of negativity. The UK is a brilliant place to holiday with some amazing history, countryside and culture.

In my experience key places in the UK to visit are;

London (Ideally a few days)
    Cambridge
    Jurassic Coast
    Cotswolds
    Bath
    Lake District
    Edinburgh (and Scottish East Coast up to St Andrews - check out the Fish and Chips in Anstruther)
    Glasgow
    Scottish Highlands

I'm sure there's plenty I've missed but you'd not be disappointed going anywhere on that list.

If you planned a circuit from Dover taking in the following you’d see some nice places:

New Forest
    Salisbury, Old Sarum and Stonehenge
    Dorset
    Devon
    Bath
    Cotswolds
    Oxford
    London

If that’s too many stops, I’d say Bath and Oxford are definitely worth the visit, and pick somewhere on the coast to stay for a few days on the way.

Master
    Chippy in Anstruther has gone downhill IMO. Best I’ve had recently was from The Ashvale in Aberdeen. Bit of a trek mind you !!

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Chippy in Anstruther has gone downhill IMO. Best I’ve had recently was from The Ashvale in Aberdeen. Bit of a trek mind you !!
    Not tried the Anstruther, but did try the Ashvale around 12m ago - and didn't rate it at all. Living on past laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Ah no really? Last time I was there was 2 years ago, eating haddock and chips sat in the car facing the harbour, rain belting it down outside, washing everything down with an ice cold Irn Bru. Genuinely one of the best meals of my life.

OP - if your kids enjoy beaches and a young surf vibe, then the north Cornwall coast may be great for you all. It is a beautiful part of the country (despite the summer crowds) and they could enrol in a surf school.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Jeez what a lot of negativity. The UK is a brilliant place to holiday with some amazing history, countryside and culture.
    I don't doubt it, and all the suggestions so far are really helpful, so thanks again and keep them coming. In the meantime I'll keep practicing my English to master the difference between advise and advice.

The UK is fantastic in Summer. Beaches, beer gardens and beautiful countryside.

Our place of choice in Summer is Cornwall; Carbis Bay, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno are the some of best beaches in the Country.

The Lake District is a worthy destination too. Scenery like Welsh mountains and The Scottish Highlands but with better pubs and generally more facilities.

Beaches in the north west of Scotland are stunning but they’re so remote, you need to take everything you might need with you. And the sea is freezing.

Small English cities are nicer than the larger places. York, Chester, Durham, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge all have charm and character.

London is obviously a must but go with a reason, ie to see a show, or visit the British Museum.

England’s south coast is generally a few degrees warmer than the North which makes it ideal for a few beach days. Small places like Salcomb offer a good mix of scenery and water based activities.

There’s still a huge chance that it will rain most if not all of the time during July and August. You can only spend so much time sheltering in pubs and coffee shops that are absolutely heaving as everyone’s trying to stay dry. We’ve had that in London, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Scotland and the north west. We love the Lake District but everyone knows it always rains there.

The food is also rubbish and overpriced.

We won’t waste any more time or money holidaying here. Give me somewhere warm with great culture, great food and places to visit everyday time. Where you can sit outside until the early hours, just relaxing and enjoying chill time. You can never do that here.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Our place of choice in Summer is Cornwall; Carbis Bay, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno are the some of best beaches in the Country.

The Lake District is a worthy destination too. Scenery like Welsh mountains and The Scottish Highlands but with better pubs and generally more facilities.

Beaches in the north west of Scotland are stunning but they’re so remote, you need to take everything you might need with you. And the sea is freezing.

Small English cities are nicer than the larger places. York, Chester, Durham, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge all have charm and character.

London is obviously a must but go with a reason, ie to see a show, or visit the British Museum.

England’s south coast is generally a few degrees warmer than the North which makes it ideal for a few beach days. Small places like Salcomb offer a good mix of scenery and water based activities.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th February 2024 at 22:17.

Blog Entries
    I read this with great interest! And figured out that every time I went to the UK, the weather was extremely good! The Autumn of '78 (apprentice in London): hot. With my wife to Scotland: dry and fair (late October). The Olympics in 2012: hot. And the UK Laser Championship in Devon, July 2018: scorching hot.

On my to-do list in the UK: sailing the Norfolk Broads with a traditional yacht.

You write that your kids are between 10 and 18 y/o. I know from experience that it's not the easiest age bracket for a cheerful holiday... I would certainly pick something that is a highlight to visit: London is one of course. Lots to see and do for older kids, but a camping near Bovisand or Down Tomas, southeast of Plymouth isn't very alluring for youngsters that age...

It's also worth checking if a crossing from (for us) Duinkerken to Dover isn't a better option when you write that a ferry crossing isn't high on your wife's list.

Dunkirk to Dover is the same as Calais to Dover, except longer: the ferry sails along the coast from Dunkirk to Calais before aiming for Dover.
    Those who suggest beaches forget the regular untreated sewage releases across the UK coast. As to Ryan’s post, it’s true for adults but much less adapted to children, especially with the age spectrum specified.

Master
    Hayle In Cornwall is really nice and just outside St Ives.

Hayle Towains are amazing, and the beaches are simply stunning. It's one of my favourite places in the world.

We live in South Wales, about a 20 minute drive from the Brecon Beacons. If it were me I'd try to get a couple of days in the Snowdonia national park as well. Brecon is stunning but Snowdonia is very rugged and more mountainous terrain.

You have so many options!!

Are you planning on staying in Air BnBs? Or hotels?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    OP - if your kids enjoy beaches and a young surf vibe, then the north Cornwall coast may be great for you all. It is a beautiful part of the country (despite the summer crowds) and they could enrol in a surf school.
    They would like that a lot, so added to the list thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Some very good suggestions, which I'll look into.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Hayle In Cornwall is really nice and just outside St Ives.

Hayle Towains are amazing, and the beaches are simply stunning. It's one of my favourite places in the world.

We live in South Wales, about a 20 minute drive from the Brecon Beacons. If it were me I'd try to get a couple of days in the Snowdonia national park as well. Brecon is stunning but Snowdonia is very rugged and more mountainous terrain.

You have so many options!!

Are you planning on staying in Air BnBs? Or hotels?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    I was actually looking at the St Ives area, so thanks for the pointer. With regard to your question: we're looking at AirBnB's (except maybe in London), but the kids would like the opportunity to meet other people, so nothing too remote probably.

EDIT: I visited both Brecon and Snowdonia in the nineties and have very fond memories of both visits, which is why I wanted to include Wales in the trip.
    Last edited by JackW; 8th February 2024 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It's also worth checking if a crossing from (for us) Duinkerken to Dover isn't a better option when you write that a ferry crossing isn't high on your wife's list.
    What's the problem with a ferry anyway? Hardly like sailing the Horn, few wreckers nowadays and it won't stop for the 'small boats'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's the problem with a ferry anyway?
    Mainly that my wife gets sick from even looking at them.

Our go to was always the Yorkshire Dales but this was trumped many years ago by Northumberland.
    Beautiful beaches, great walks, plenty of places to visit and most importantly, lack of people.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Mainly that my wife gets sick from even looking at them.
    Then take the tunnel (or tablets!). I prefer the ferry, more of an experience, chance to wander about and start of the holiday.

As children we would travel to Guernsey (to see my Mum's family) every summer. Long drive (no motorways) in Renault 4 to Weymouth from Essex then a ferry with a usually rough crossing. Only solution for sickness was to sit on deck for hours being battered in the wind, down below stank of vomit and vinyl seating.
    Parents would try giving us a sickness tablet ground up in a teaspoon of milk which we hated. Remember one year was immediately sick on taking at the breakfat table before we'd even left.

From the prices I see in suggestions in UK from the likes of Booking.com, AirBnB, VRBO etc - I think early booking (if Feb can be considered early) - will be advisable.

Prices appear bonkers compared to those of say - Brittany.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Oligarchs and International criminals because of the London laundromat, everything is for sale for enough money, and the pay to play nature of the politics...Also the worlds most desperate folks fleeing persecution and regional instabilities, instabilities sometimes though not exclusively in fairness, caused or worsened by British actions. Well you did ask.

Second Stoo´s New Forest recommendation, fond memories of the Frogham and Hyde Country Fair, the Terrier racing is a hoot, diverse and interesting hiking options, some charming B and B´s, lovely pubs, guided pony trekking. I´ve been to Southwold, it´s alright if you don´t set your expectations too high.
    Bring plenty of money and wet weather gear. Good luck.
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th February 2024 at 10:53.

Could be a busy time in the car: Dover, New Forest, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Bath, Cotswolds, Brecons, Snowdonia, East Anglia, York, Dales, Durham, Northumbria, Lake District and Scotland.

Could be a busy time in the car: Dover, New Forest, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Bath, Cotswolds, Brecons, Snowdonia, East Anglia, York, Dales, Durham, Northumbria, Lake District and Scotland.
    That´s what I thought...guessing OP probably fancies a bit of chilling time, with nice views and a pint- meal...and not to be driving the whole time...the roads; CAMERAS; potholes!

Some serious winnowing of options; regions necessary:

If your vacation is during the UK schools summer holidays everywhere in Southern England will be rammed and priced accordingly, the weather will as ever be hit and miss, many of our beaches have poor quality water as do quite a few rivers even the Lake district has pollution, sorry to be so negative but I can think of too many reasons to avoid our country. Scotland, Ireland, Brittany, Normandy etc.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    That´s what I thought...guessing OP probably fancies a bit of chilling time, with nice views and a pint- meal...and not to be driving the whole time...the roads; CAMERAS; potholes!

Some serious winnowing of options; regions necessary:
    Haha, that's what I was thinking! My thoughts so far:
    - I'll stick to the travel schedule I outlined in my first post, probably with the addition of a first stop in the New Forest/Jurassic Coast. I'll explore some of the options mentioned (surfing on the north coast of Cornwall for example).
    - OR we take the ferry to Harwich, spend some time in Norfolk/Suffolk and travel north of London to the Cotswolds or Brecon Beacons.
    - I'd like to include Bath and/or Oxford in our schedule.

Does that make sense?

Craftsman
    For me Norfolk & Suffolk, Norwich is an amazing city with a really relaxed vibe. On the coast No.1 in Cromer for fantastic fish & chips. Further down into Suffolk, Southwold is worth a visit as is Constable country, East Bergholt. Etc. etc.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Haha, that's what I was thinking! My thoughts so far:
    - I'll stick to the travel schedule I outlined in my first post, probably with the addition of a first stop in the New Forest/Jurassic Coast. I'll explore some of the options mentioned (surfing on the north coast of Cornwall for example).
    - OR we take the ferry to Harwich, spend some time in Norfolk/Suffolk and travel north of London to the Cotswolds or Brecon Beacons.
    - I'd like to include Bath and/or Oxford in our schedule.

Does that make sense?
    Makes sense. Dover, New Forest/Jurassic Coast, Cornwall, then back via Bath, Oxford and London. That’s quite a bit of driving but you can do it in a circuit, rather than zig-zagging all over the country.

Then I think you’ve got the next 3 years worth of holidays sorted in East Anglia, the Lake District, and Northumberland and Scotland in this thread too!

Personally I'd ditch Cornwall and go no further than Devon. Cornwall is obviously lovely, but so is Devon which will save driving, prices, and crowds.

Any advise on family holiday in UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Personally I'd ditch Cornwall and go no further than Devon. Cornwall is obviously lovely, but so is Devon which will save driving, prices, and crowds.

I’d echo that, maybe even ditch Devon and stop in Dorset; it’s a much longer drive from Dover to Cornwall than a similar length journey would be in France, for example.

Should you chose the Norfolk/Suffolk option, both Oxford and Cambridge would be visitable, Brecon would be a bit too far IMHO.

Blog Entries
    With 3 kids like the OP's family, I would always arrange things around them: adolescents are a difficult audience. Endless drives and long walks surrounded only by breathtaking scenery doesn't cut the mustard. I already suggested (van a PM) surflng in / near Wales. But perhaps there are other destinations. A few things that I can come up with: Harry Potter movie locations, Clarkson's Farm (with a lunch), Beaulieu Car Museum, Red Bull's Factory Tour and of course: London.

Ask me this about the Netherlands and without hard thinking, I can come up with 10 spots interesting for older kids. I'm sure that the UK has a lot more to offer than 10. Perhaps this will help the OP's itinerary?
    Last edited by thieuster; 8th February 2024 at 19:18.