closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Six Nations 2024 thread

2 intriguing matches today. Scotland were unlucky against France, still no idea if that was touched down or not but it made for a dramatic end to a see-saw game.

England edged past a spirited and youthful Wales. Once those Wales players mature and learn game management they'll have the core of a good side- the spirit has been clear to see in both games.

England improved after the break but still too much kicking out of hand instead of passing the ball through hands and gaining momentum that way. I did predict it would be a tough game to call despite what the bookies said and that ended up being the case.

Interested to see how Ireland face off against Italy tomorrow.

Master
    ITV CBA to host their show from Dublin. Pathetic, but at least they didn’t try to mock up a fake city skyline.

Despite the scoreline, that was a long way from a flawless victory. It didn't need to be though, Ireland never got out of first gear and still never gave Italy a sniff of anything.

An easy win, they'll no doubt lift their game against Wales in a fortnight.

Time to get Italy out of the 6 Nations, they have nothing to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Despite the scoreline, that was a long way from a flawless victory. It didn't need to be though, Ireland never got out of first gear and still never gave Italy a sniff of anything.

An easy win, they'll no doubt lift their game against Wales in a fortnight.

Time to get Italy out of the 6 Nations, they have nothing to offer.

Rubbish. England barely beat them. Should we leave them out too. Despite the scoreline they played well and they're definitely getting better. They were playing Ireland who are arguably the best team at 6N

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Rubbish. England barely beat them. Should we leave them out too. Despite the scoreline they played well and they're definitely getting better. They were playing Ireland who are arguably the best team at 6N
    Agree. I won't say the scoreline flattered Ireland, they perhaps weren't playing at 100% but thoroughly deserved the win.
    At the same time I do believe the zero score from Italy doesn't reflect their game today. They are playing with flair and invention, just not clinical enough. They caused England all sorts of problems last week and today will be their hardest game by far this 6N.
    They may just have a win or two in them this year and will be fancying their chances against Scotland and Wales. And they'll not be terrified of France either who were surprisingly poor last week and very lucky yesterday.

Yeah, ok, Italy are definitely better than I gave them credit for... they gave England problems after all.

It’s difficult to judge France’s performance against Ireland because of the early sending off of Willemse. It’s hard enough to play them with a full team, it’s impossible a player short, especially this early in the match.
    Having said that the absence of Dupont and Ntamack was always going to be problematic this year and the 3 remaining games will confirm that.
    Indeed, even without the red card Ireland victory was to be expected.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    For this to keep being a rivalry England are really going to need to step up to the plate at some point.
    Scotland victories a bit of a stick on these days.
    God knows what Ireland will do with Englamd.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    For this to keep being a rivalry England are really going to need to step up to the plate at some point.
    Scotland victories a bit of a stick on these days.
    God knows what Ireland will do with Englamd.
    I’m more worried about what the Irish will do to Scotland.

Can chariots become skateboards when they swing too low, asking for a friend. Ahh hold on a skateboard has 4 wheels. This chariot has none.

Jim

Well done Scotland - no controversy just a relatively comfortable win. Thats 1 Calcutta cup in 7 yrs for England. It must be gnawing at the psyche a bit that. Ireland will win the grand slam though of course. Almost relieved we didn’t get awarded the last gasp score v France or the unrealistic hype would be well out of control

I am genuinely at a loss at what England are trying to achieve.
    I am sure the highly paid back room team have a clear goal but I am not sure the players understand it
    They were so poor at the basics today it was unreal. They have been trying to force things for years now. There is no comfort /understanding / partnerships in that side, everyone seems to be wondering what the other players are going to do. Unless it’s rugby by numbers they are banjaxed.
    Scotland were good but not great. Scotland were by far the better team though. Well done on a deserved win.
    Ireland are in a different league

Was it the England coach interviewed at the end?

FFS! "we did win............... in theory" (paraphrasing)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well done Scotland - no controversy just a relatively comfortable win. Thats 1 Calcutta cup in 7 yrs for England. It must be gnawing at the psyche a bit that. Ireland will win the grand slam though of course. Almost relieved we didn’t get awarded the last gasp score v France or the unrealistic hype would be well out of control
    Ach, let’s enjoy it and do what a certain other 6N does: big themselves up even when the truth is in front of them! Let’s have a bit of national pride.

We beat the Auld Enemy, again, and have the Calcutta Cup for another year. They’re the ones who need to find answers, not us for now.

Let’s savour the success over failure just as others would do. It’s our time!

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 24th February 2024 at 20:42.

Six Nations 2024 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Ach, let’s enjoy it and do what a certain other 6N does: big themselves up even when the truth is in front of them! Let’s have a bit of national pride.

We beat the Auld Enemy, again, and have the Calcutta Cup for another year. They’re the ones who need to find answers, not us for now.

Let’s savour the success over failure just as others would do. It’s our time!

Jim
    Oh I’m enjoying watching this team don’t worry about that. Almost regardless of the results. They play attacking expansive offloading running rugby and it’s bloody exciting to watch. I am blessed with realism however hence the statement that Ireland have all but won this already with the bonus points. On that topic I’m not really sure I like the bonus point system as a narrow win for us in Italy and a (highly unlikely) England win v the Irish would see Scotland v Ireland in the final game both on 4 wins but with Ireland virtually already winners. Kind of anticlimactic. I get the incentive for attacking rugby but maybe needs tweaked.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 25th February 2024 at 10:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Ireland are in a different league
    Absolutely
    Ireland,NZ and SA
    Head and shoulders above the rest after France dismantled their team.
    England flattered to deceive at the WC but watch how Ireland dismantle teams with power and England are a way off that standard.

Anyhow. Some Champagne at the restaurant tonight as you never know when the tables will turn again.
    Last edited by Hood; 24th February 2024 at 21:06.

… and an England win v the Irish ...

Six Nations 2024 thread

In other news, France didn’t dismantle its team. Ntammak is still recovering from his knee injury and Jalibert doesn’t have the same spark in attack and efficiency in defence, and Dupont has been allowed a break from XV to see if he made the cut in to 7 to play at the Olympics.
    They will both be back for next year’s tournament.
    Lucu is not a bad scrum half as he plays for Bordeaux with Jalibert but there is a gulf between club rugby, even if the club plays a European cup, and international rugby.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 24th February 2024 at 21:41.

Master
    After 4 wins do we get to keep the England team?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    After 4 wins do we get to keep the England team?
    You're most welcome to them!

Cmon Italy

Oh my god I feel for Italy - a kick to win it and it falls off the tee - 5 seconds on the kick clock and he quickly has a snap at it and it comes off the post.

You could not make that up
    It was an entertaining game!

Well, that turned out more exciting than I was expecting!

Although to be fair France blew it; just like England yesterday, if they had made less mistakes the result would have been very different.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Well, that turned out more exciting than I was expecting!

Although to be fair France blew it; just like England yesterday, if they had made less mistakes the result would have been very different.
    Mistakes!?

They’re all part of the game, even when a ref makes them.

Mind you, it was more than mistakes that England failed at yesterday. Ineptitude.

Jim

I was thinking mainly of handling errors Jim.

But you are right about the ineptitude shown by the World Cup semi-finalists. I think the 6 Nations is a better indicator of England's place in world rugby than was the World Cup.

But you are right about the ineptitude shown by the World Cup semi-finalists. I think the 6 Nations is a better indicator of England's place in world rugby than was the World Cup.
    Luck of the draw for the WC that doesn’t happen in the 6N

France must have paid the ref again

https://www.ruck.co.uk/clearly-state...-got-it-wrong/

France must have paid the ref again

https://www.ruck.co.uk/clearly-state...-got-it-wrong/
    I did think that was the case.
    You can’t charge down a penalty, France did try to charge it down. Players moved
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th February 2024 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I did think that was the case.
    You can’t charge down a penalty, France did try to charge it down. Players moved
    How ref linesmen and tmo all don’t see it defies belief - there was literally nothing else happening

Master
    How ref linesmen and tmo all don’t see it defies belief - there was literally nothing else happening
    It wasn't clear from the TV shots but I thought they only started moving after the ball had fallen off the T. Not sure if that makes a difference mind you...

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    It wasn't clear from the TV shots but I thought they only started moving after the ball had fallen off the T. Not sure if that makes a difference mind you...
    Law states stand still with arms by sides until kicked - pretty clear that didn’t happen

Master
    Blog Entries

Don’t disagree UA

I can’t believe how England have dropped so low. They were once great! 1966 they even won the WC I believe. 😜😜

Seriously, we Scot’s are just riding the wave at the moment while it lasts with our success. I reckon we’ll get done by the Italians who were desperately unlucky yesterday. And thumped by Ireland.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Plus a water carrier faffing around DEAD CENTRE in front of the kicker and his eyeline. Ludicrous, obvious gamesmanship and I don't know what the ref was thinking (and I generally hate criticism of the officials).

From an Irish perspective, it's weird and uncomfortable to be lauded and I'm waiting for the wheels to fly off.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post

From an Irish perspective, it's weird and uncomfortable to be lauded and I'm waiting for the wheels to fly off.
    Just wait for the next World Cup and the wheels will fall off right enough

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just wait for the next World Cup and the wheels will fall off right enough
    *sob*

To be fair, I think we went out with our heads held high in the WC this time, which was a refreshing change. I still find it hilarious at some level that we were favourites to beat NZ at a WC. I grew up watching Ireland in the 80s and 90s. Deep scars. You could make a reasonable case that Ireland is currently the most professional of the professional teams, but I don't think there's any doubt that we were the most amateur of the amateur teams.

*sob*

To be fair, I think we went out with our heads held high in the WC this time, which was a refreshing change. I still find it hilarious at some level that we were favourites to beat NZ at a WC. I grew up watching Ireland in the 80s and 90s. Deep scars. You could make a reasonable case that Ireland is currently the most professional of the professional teams, but I don't think there's any doubt that we were the most amateur of the amateur teams.
    Yep I was being very tongue in cheek. Winning a WC pool and getting the All Blacks as the runner up from the other pool as your opponent is about as unfortunate as it gets!

Master
    *sob*

A game that will live long in the memory that one.
    Along with France v SA
    Rugby at a different level both of those.

It is a proven scientific fact that if enough people eat sardines on toast on matchdays, England will win.

Anyone esle other than me had sardines on toast today?

Will England keep with the blitz defence today?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

It is a proven scientific fact that if enough people eat sardines on toast on matchdays, England will win.

Anyone esle other than me had sardines on toast today?
    Quite a few in Portugal I hear.

I enjoyed that. It wasn't a masterclass in technically exemplary football, but it was all heart. I don't begrudge Italy their win; it's not as though they didn't work for it.

Anyone else got a feeling for England today?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Anyone else got a feeling for England today?

Early days but it doesn't seem like the weight of expectation is sitting comfortably on Irish shoulders. They look distinctly rattled.

Thoroughly deserved win for Italy. Great game of rugby too. Scotland were the architects of their own demise with the errors. Delighted for the Italians though

Is it a knock on if the defender's head knocks the arm holding the ball and making him lose control?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Is it a knock on if the defender's head knocks the arm holding the ball and making him lose control?
    "Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it."
    The first sentence is key Ryan, so basically yes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thoroughly deserved win for Italy. Great game of rugby too. Scotland were the architects of their own demise with the errors. Delighted for the Italians though
    Well played Italy. As expected sadly, Scotland dumped by the Italians.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed that. It wasn't a masterclass in technically exemplary football, but it was all heart. I don't begrudge Italy their win; it's not as though they didn't work for it.
    They deserved it 100%.

Scotland deserved to get beaten.

We’re having Italian food tonight to celebrate.

Jim

Whoooooaaaaah
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH