closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you mark your milestone birthdays?

How did you mark your milestone birthdays?

Pretty much as the title says... with a timepiece? holiday getaway? 'bucket-list' experience? etc.

The following milestones probably covers the vast majority of the TZ community?

40th:

50th:

60th:

Master
    I don’t like being made a fuss of so no parties for me.

30th - Omega seamaster aquaterra 8500 golf
    40th - Zenith pilot big date flyback ceramic
    50th - Who knows! Definitely a watch of some sort and this time a trip with the wife.

21st - night off from bar job - the regulars got me properly smashed :-)
    30th - overpaying mortgage and living my best suburban life :-(
    40th - big house party with neighbours and family :-)
    50th - moved to scotland

21st Big party whilst at uni
    30 -small affair with close friends, Karaoke room and dinner
    40 - covid so a zoom party

30th - my grandmother died
    40th - had covid
    50th - don’t think I will bother.

Master
    Blog Entries
    40th, got totally bleathered
    50/60/70 never bothered marking them.

21st - got battered at a series of bars with loads of mates
    30th - got battered at a series of bars with closer friends, family and the wife.
    40th - spent the day with family then went out for a dinner with the wife and kids, came home and sat out in the garden with the wife and cigar talking for hours.

I enjoyed each of them in different ways.

60th - Closed all the curtains, and declared it a National Day of Mourning

Master
    20th - went for dinner with friends to the Waterside Inn in Bray
    30th - in Hawaii, can't remember exactly what I did on the day but was a great trip.
    40th - TBA when I get there!

Master
    60 - 70 . Increasing depression.

Master
    21 - Four day weekend including a bus to Manchester Bier Keller- top local DJ in a hired room, buffet strippergram you know 1999 type stuff
    30, Omega Seamaster and a new Golf TDI 115
    40 - A 997 Carrera 2,Daytona ,Week in Cyprus, settled down
    50 - Bought a skippered charter on a 50ft catamaran in the Grenadines on ebay and nobody else risked it so we had the boat to ourselves, bookmarked by a week in ST Lucia at one end and Bequai at the other Cheapo week in Vegas, the trip was the cheap part

The same charter boat is circumnavigating the globe right now and we are talking about joining them in Sri Lanka and travelling to Maldives and Mauritious with them in 2025

60 is a little over 4 years away - having just bought the house i hope to die in i would like to have finished the refurb and burn my van having packed in work to travel and enjoy myself.

Master
    18th - A party that got out of hand, invited 50 and had a couple of hundred turn up, great night.

21st- Nothing

30th - Nothing

40th - Nothing

50th - Not got there yet but I sense a pattern to how it will pan out.

Next month I have my kids 18th and 21st a day apart, my lad has asked for a nice watch when he graduates uni and had one of Eddies for his 16th.
    My daughter isn’t in to watches or jewellery.
    So they are both getting a trips abroad paid for it’s looking like both to Thailand one in the summer and one in the autumn as part of a gap year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40th - Went to the Maldives with the wife and kids
    50th - fortunately not there yet!

Generally I don't really care about birthdays so most pass without anything fancy happening.

Master
    21st - Was living in London and got pissed
    40th - Was living in Germany and got pissed
    50th - Was living in Scotland and got pissed
    60th - Was living in France and got pissed

I can see a pattern emerging

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    21st - Was living in London and got pissed
    40th - Was living in Germany and got pissed
    50th - Was living in Scotland and got pissed
    60th - Was living in France and got pissed

I can see a pattern emerging
    You are a traveller?

Master
    21 - Nobu London courtesy of a banker friend a couple of years older.

30 - Private jet to Paris for dinner, same friend.

35 - 14060M meant for my 40th but Rolex had other ideas

40 - Pelagos as I’d worn the Sub way before.

50 - 2.5 years to go and hoping for an LV Sub call

Master
    40th- James Bond Themed party at the house and boys weekend in Gothenburg.
    50th- Vintage Red Submariner and 5 days in Capetown with a meal at La Colombe and vineyard visit on the day.
    Last edited by Hood; 2nd February 2024 at 18:25.

Master
    Life is too short to wait for so called “special dates” etc etc to treat yourself.
    I’ve been through a couple of episodes where I thought that I’ve missed the boat.
    Just go for it if you can afford it and enjoy it whilst you can.

Craftsman
    21 Pub Golf at Uni
    30 Epic golf themed party at home in Uganda with about 100 people. Had a great golf comp in the garden.
    40 is 2 years away but I'd like to have a family holiday and get some sort of special golf in.
    Golf is life it seems haha

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Great thread

21st. Living in Oz - with friends and family
    30th Living in Oz - a great surprise party arranged by my wife
    40th Living in Oz- attending a boring meeting in California
    50th Living in UK - Polperro with family. Brilliant.

Craftsman
    30th - golf break away and a couple of meals out with family and then another with friends (different evenings I might add)

40th - I treated myself to an Omega Aqua Terra 38mm 8800, week away in Belgium with my better half, a couple of nights away in UK with old school friends, all of whom turned 40 same year. Go karting was the main reason for going away.
    I also did a skydive!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Can't remember 21 but don't think I was fussed. 30 the same but 40th was in Tuscon and a birthday card from my mum was waiting on reception at the lovely hotel I was in. 50th was a cycling holiday in Como. Fantastic riding, stunning place.

Journeyman
    40th: Full upper arm tattoo
    50th: Week in New York
    60th: Omega Speedmaster 3861

Ends in a zero so why it it different from any other birthday? I've worked away for too many to really care about my own apart from to marvel at my bodies ability to keep going considering the abuse I put it through. Sorry for the downer.

21st last grandparent dies while I'm at sea.

30th I think I was on shift in the North sea

40th think I was ripping out our bathroom and slightly confused by everyone else's eagerness to want to celibrate another passing year.

Needless to say I struggle with aging and don't like birthdays

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by subseastu; 2nd February 2024 at 23:54.

Hi

40th - Dinner and overnight stay at Rick Steins restaurant in Padstow.

50th - Cocktails in Leicester Square, dinner at The Ivy off Shaftesbury plus drinks in the private bar , on to the American bar @the Savoy ( refused entry ).....went to The Ned @threadneedle Street instead.

60th - TBA

Best Neil

40 - treated myself with tickets to Baselworld
    50 - nothing
    60 - probably nothing

18th - With my mates in our my favourite pub. The landlord wasn’t best pleased to find out as I’d been a regular in there for 2 years! He barred us all after. Mum and dad bought me a Seiko digital watch.

21st - Can’t remember but my future wife bought me a Seiko.

30th - In the delivery room watching my wife give birth to our daughter. No watch as my wife was busy apparently.

40th - New York, wife bought me a Raymond Weil.

50th - Dinner party with family and friends. Wife bought me a SubC.

60th - Last year, Disney World Orlando with my family.
    Last edited by bigvic; 3rd February 2024 at 23:41.

How did you mark your milestone birthdays?

21 - drunk in the pub with mates.
    30 - fiancé bought me a PlayStation (and quickly regretted it as we stayed in).
    40 - toddler and baby so probably napping at every opportunity.
    50 - just another day at the office then a steak dinner
    60 - hopefully my last day of work

40th Our son was born on the day of. I'd spent the previous 2 days, nights waiting with the Mrs on the maternity ward. I slept on a smelly old birthing mat on the floor, had been advised by the hospital to bring in our own portable fan if we had one, hot summer that year in London. Awful unnecessarily traumatic birth, baby not breathing on eventual delivery, it was my spot, first alert that got the crash team in.
    Later in the day I was kicked out by one of the nurses, told to go have a drink with mates and get a shower!, Wife was in the ICU having a couple of pints of claret replaced.
    Stopped working in one sense, began in another.

50th Over with the Yanks, staying in a beach house on the Outer Banks NC, covid adjacent period still, so ordered in a seafood boil. MiL gave me a bottle of Chateauneuf. Bil bought gummie bears and a vape pen. Good time.

60th Who knows, a way to go yet, enjoy one day at a time.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd February 2024 at 15:35.

21: Revising for exams
    30: Meal with the Mrs
    40: A rather wonderful pensioner lady I knew cooked her, her flatmate (another wonderful older lady), my wife and I a steak each. Really it meant more to me than any party could have
    50: Nothing - One of our lab members entered hospital with terminal cancer a few days earlier and no-one felt like celebrating

21: At university - had a lovely meal with my mum, dad and the then girlfriend.
    40: In Edinburgh and celebrated with a Rolex Submariner
    50: In Amsterdam and celebrated with a 39mm Explorer
    60: It's coming up and I hope to be in Den Haag and possibly celebrate, not with a watch, but a posh pen. :)

Aye, if we're spared!

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Blog Entries
    40th - Oris TT1
    50th - Omega Speedmaster Pro

z

30th, living in Singapore.
    Climbed Mount Kinabalu in Borneo with some good mates, a peak experience in all respects.

40th, living in Switzerland.
    Went to Chamonix skiing, remember being at the Aiguille du Midi and thinking, "it’s all downhill from here".

50th, living in Colombia.
    Visited the Galápagos Islands with the family, stood in some finch crap on Genovesa and discovered the origin of the faeces.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    18 - a session down the pub with school mates. It was the only time I ever got asked for ID in a pub LOL, so naturally it was a delightful moment to proudly whip out the provisional driving licence. The landlord's face was a picture as the penny dropped that he'd been serving me under age for over a year :-)

21 - I'd dropped out of university for the 2nd year in a row, and was working at Alpine Sports in Kensington High Street, and crashing on the floor of a student house in Tottenham. Drinks after work at The Britannia pub in the back streets off the High Street. I remember getting sprayed with the soda syphon by the bar staff, followed by a couple of free pints, and then several more after that. Got back to Spud land about midnight and the whole house were still up and had surprise birthday cake and champers, which was unexpected and really cool of them.

30 - GF at the time organised a night out with work colleagues and some University friends, who depth charged my pints with vodka, so I ended up passing out through no fault of my own and getting a good kicking off the GF. Nice girl LOL.

40 - was in a "single man" early mid life crisis phase, and having had a 12 month incented sabbatical from work in Thailand/Australia the year before, headed back to Koh Phangan for my 40th. Spent about a grand (£) on fireworks and my friends and I nearly blew ourselves up several times setting them all off on the beach. Show lasted about 45 minutes and people came from all over the island to watch. Brilliant night.

50 - in Melbourne Australia at Squires Loft Steakhouse in South Yarra, with parents, sister and her family, and my Aussie best mate. Some good wine went down. Steak was excellent !

60 - got a few years to think about what to do, but it will almost certainly be a quiet one in comparison to previous exploits.

Master
    18th - my Dad and Stepmother organised a surprise party where I knew them, my Uncle, Aunty and my then Girlfriend. The rest were mostly strangers to me. Hated it.

21st - have no recollection of that event so must’ve been alcohol fuelled

30th - as above

40th - Sabi Sabi game reserve as part of trip to S. Africa. Afterwards stayed in Cape Town for 5 days

50th - bought a Planet Ocean 42mm. Don’t have it anymore.

60th - bought an Explorer 124270 to celebrate my birthday and early retirement

Master
    We arrange a birthday weekend every year for each other. Full with activities, city trips, dinners.

Every birthday has been a blast for the past many years.

Not much of giving stuff…

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Life is too short to wait for so called “special dates” etc etc to treat yourself.
    I’ve been through a couple of episodes where I thought that I’ve missed the boat.
    Just go for it if you can afford it and enjoy it whilst you can.
    My outlook too.

Why wait for "special" dates?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    18 - peppermint Park night club in Norwich with student mates, boozy evening including a sweaty encounter with an overly large and mature kissogram

21 - boozy night in a tent with some dutch, french and english couriers who we were working with travelling around France taking tents down at the end of the season.

30 - surprise meal with sister and brother in law and now wife. Thai meal, several bottles of wine and an eventful journey home!

40 - night away with my wife and girls, staying in a yurt. Lovely meal, nice bottle of wine and sat out talking around the fire and looking at the stars on a clear night in Northumberland. The best yet.

50 - well that's just round the corner. Off to Canada with the family for a little tour - Montreal, quebec then cape Bretton and nova scotia to make more memories.

Most recent 50

Hawaii 5 0 with a sky dive
    It's just a matter of time...

18th - Family meal at a Southport Chinese Restaurant

21st - Another Chinese restaurant with student pals and then a big house party at University

30th - Party in a West London pub with family and friends

40th - Michelin starred dinner with my wife and a night out with the lads

50th - A series of weekends away with friends, Glashütte, Puerto Banus and Manchester. A weekend away in Istanbul with my wife followed by a House Party with catering.

60th - TBC!

Master
    21st meal with family at a nice Chinese restaurant

30th garbage, nothing doing.

40th white-water rafting weekend with 18 mates, unforgettable!

50th 2 weeks in Barbados and a meal at a posh restaurant overlooking the sea, stunning.

21 - Absolutely maracked at my local, quite a posh bar. My gang had a thing about the birthday boy always drinking a whole bottle of Midori and taking the empty home.

30 - Dinner with a dozen pals at an upmarket restaurant, I knew the owner. Everyone ended up standing on their chairs mooning, nearby tables seemed to enjoy the girls doing that.

40 - Lay on the couch trying to fathom why my wife bought me steak knives for my 40th. Consoled myself with a new Submariner. No booze.

50 - Went for a forest walk with family, had delivery food and then to bed by 10pm. No booze. How things change!

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    40th Our son was born on the day of. I'd spent the previous 2 days, nights waiting with the Mrs on the maternity ward. I slept on a smelly old birthing mat on the floor, had been advised by the hospital to bring in our own portable fan if we had one, hot summer that year in London. Awful unnecessarily traumatic birth, baby not breathing on eventual delivery, it was my spot, first alert that got the crash team in.
    Later in the day I was kicked out by one of the nurses, told to go have a drink with mates and get a shower!, Wife was in the ICU having a couple of pints of claret replaced.
    Stopped working in one sense, began in another..
    That, strangely enough mirrors our daughter’s entry into this world on my 30th. An extremely traumatic 24hrs in what should’ve been one of the happiest but also could’ve so easily been one of the very worst days in my life.

When my daughter tells people she was born on my birthday they always say, “Wow what a lovely birthday present”, she usually replies “not really, he was hoping for a Scalextric!”

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    30th - my grandmother died
    40th - had covid
    50th - don’t think I will bother.
    Christ. That’s a Moonpig struggle…

Master
    Blog Entries
    30th - Bought an IWC Aquatimer 2000. Soon to be sold
    40th - Bought a Full gold Sub LB. Already sold.
    50th - Still 7 1/2 years away. Should be watch free by then.

Craftsman
    21st
    4 mates joined me at a Chinese restaurant for a huge banquet style meal.

30th
    Probably just drank too much.

40th
    Spent a couple of weeks in Jamaica.

50th
    Spent a few weeks in Thailand with my wife.

60th
    Spent a couple of weeks in Mexico.

70th
    Too much Gin.

Photo courtesy of my wife.

Regards

V

40th - Round of golf on West Coast, Wentworth followed by dinner with bottle of Cristal and the bonus of standing next to Kirsty Gallacher at Fireworks display. Next day spent at Le Manoir au Quatre Saisons for dinner and overnight stay (my Mrs went mental, it’s fair to say).

50th - Franck Muller

60th - Round of golf at Valderrama and 5 nights just outside Marbella

Journeyman
    60th stayed at the Savoy for 3 nights went to dinner at Petrus on the day itself

Sent from my SM-A736B using TZ-UK mobile app

18th –*Outdoor karting with a group of lads, BBQ in parents garden with friends and family, followed by a messy night in York.

19-39 Nothing memorable, usually on holiday (Mid August birthday).

40th – Decided to re-do the 18th with karting, BBQ and a night out/weekend away in Harrogate with friends and wives.

Journeyman
    Sound sleep is the best possible option, I believe.