closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable to buy fake watch as home break-in decoy?

Master

Acceptable to buy fake watch as home break-in decoy?

Although my watches aren’t kept out on display and are hidden away safely still pondering this as it may encourage a potential burglar to leave sooner and to not ransack every room.

Have others also considered this and does this reason make it acceptable to buy a fake even though funds feed the fire of more fakes. The watch will not be worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    funny you say this, was talkking to a mate the other day about buying fake versions of the watches i have to wear out and keep the real ones in the bank safe. makes totsal sense to me but my mate would say he wouldnt do it.....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    funny you say this, was talkking to a mate the other day about buying fake versions of the watches i have to wear out and keep the real ones in the bank safe. makes totsal sense to me but my mate would say he wouldnt do it.....
    I think I agree with your mate for that use case,…I suppose you aren’t pretending to have something you don’t have by wearing the fake as you have the real deal at home/bank, but why not just wear the real one? You’re probably no less likely to be mugged with a fake, so as long as you have insurance then what’s the issue?

Well... it's what the do in museums, innit?

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

What's the point of owning the real ones then? For goodness sake, buy them and wear them.

I would not be happy supporting a company that likely uses sweatshop labour and is clearly breaking the law.

Keep your watches hidden or in a safe
    No need for the fake.

morality and ethically NO, however in real life ?,my watches are only insured at home ,so there is a case if i was to get robbed or lose a watch out and about and i would if i lived in London thats for sure , fortunately were i live and were i go i have no issue in wearing the genuine thing , but if i was to travel

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would not be happy supporting a company that likely uses sweatshop labour and is clearly breaking the law.

Keep your watches hidden or in a safe
    No need for the fake.
    Watches are both or those…but my thinking is the sign of an easy win for a burglar may encourage them to leave sooner? But yes, not keen to support an illegal industry hence me being on the fence as do it or not.

I wouldn’t personally. The opening hours won’t be great from the end of March but I use Metrobank SDP and nine times out of 10 only ever have one out at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Watches are both or those…but my thinking is the sign of an easy win for a burglar may encourage them to leave sooner? But yes, not keen to support an illegal industry hence me being on the fence as do it or not.
    ... Or increase their curiosity as to what other treasures your house has to offer. Better to invest in a decent security system.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Really don’t see the point.
    If you can’t/won’t wear them, no point in having them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... Or increase their curiosity as to what other treasures your house has to offer. Better to invest in a decent security system.
    True, it could go either way

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I agree with the above. Whilst I see the logic in your thinking and it may work for some burglers I suspect for others it will just draw more attention.

Master
    I did something similar. I bought a 911 body kit for my Honda Jazz in the hope that it would distract any potential robber.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Although my watches aren’t kept out on display and are hidden away safely still pondering this as it may encourage a potential burglar to leave sooner and to not ransack every room.
    This assumes a burglar will think "Great, this is worth something - I'll call it a day and leave". I don't think that is very likely. More likely "They have valuable stuff here, must get as much of it as I can". Or they simply keep turning over your house until they reach the point where fear of being caught overcomes greed and they leg it. I reckon the latter is the mindset of most, they will generally keep at it for as long as their nerve holds, or until they've exhausted the possibilities.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 2nd February 2024 at 13:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is the actual point of owning the watches then?

The principal of not funding criminal activity should win out here.
    To my mind, buying fakes funds the bad people. So I don't do it.
    Same with illicit substances.
    I didn't always think like this, but gradually I came to the realisations that it is hard to hold any principals about anything if you are funding murderous scum.

We wouldn't buy a lot of stuff if we stuck to that.

As for OP, maybe leave some cheapish homages around. Might convince burglars you're a cheapskate with no taste and to try somewhere else.

Buy some Hublots, Grahams and Jacob & Co and leave them in a watch box. They will soon leave.

Master
    Thanks for the comments and points of view…I’ve gone off the idea and will go down the “looking like a cheapskate” road.

Most burglaries are kids doing it for dares/kicks or drug addicts. Raffles the gentleman burglar is a rare creature.
    The leaving of something in plain sight that is easily turned into cash will more often than not be enough for kids or addicts. They will usually take that and leave hopefully saving your house from a further trashing. So to that end, just leave a couple of £20 notes or an old smartphone or tablet (wiped of personal details of course) on the mantlepiece or kitchen worktop. No need to fund child labour, organised crime, terrorism etc buying a fake watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    We wouldn't buy a lot of stuff if we stuck to that.

As for OP, maybe leave some cheapish homages around. Might convince burglars you're a cheapskate with no taste and to try somewhere else.
    I have never bought something that supports criminal activity (to the best of my knowledge)

I’ve heard of people doing this and have never ever been able to get my head around the rationale.

Using a Rolex Sub as an example, if you’re not wearing your real Sub out it’s because you don’t want to get mugged for it. But you’ll wear a replica that, from distance, is indistinguishable from the original and therefore making you just as likely to get mugged?! Except you have only lost a replica. Why not just get a nice, cheaper legitimate watch like a Hamilton if you don’t want to wear the Sub out? All this method says to me is “I haven’t got the cajones to wear my Rolex, but I still want people to KNOW I’ve got one”.

Also, if I own said Rolex Sub it’s because it’s a high quality watch - I want the COSC accuracy and 300m WR etc on my wrist, that’s what I’ve paid for, not some piece of junk that wont keep great time and will mist up as soon as it gets wet in the rain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Why not fill a glass topped watch box with rotary accurst timex whatever and leave that out and visible?

Probably the same outlay as a fake PP/RM and doesnt fund anything dicey, plus they're unlikely to go rooting for further truffles if they think thats the stash.

I have never bought something that supports criminal activity (to the best of my knowledge)
    What about sweatshops?

Master
    Blog Entries
    My watches are hidden or in a small safe. I leave a Seiko laying around on the top of my drawers which is a decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What about sweatshops?
    I do avoid cheap products where possible and try to be selective around where things I buy are made. But I guess you can never be too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    "I haven’t got the cajones to wear my Rolex, but I still want people to KNOW I’ve got one".
    In a nutshell. SAF.

Master
    Don’t let the things you own, own you.

If you are not comfortable wearing or keeping a luxury item in your home then don’t!

I do avoid cheap products where possible and try to be selective around where things I buy are made. But I guess you can never be too sure.
    Yes we can only do our best but it's not just the cheap stuff - iPhones, other electronics, Nike trainers etc are (or have been until exposed) made in such Far Eastern establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I did something similar. I bought a 911 body kit for my Honda Jazz in the hope that it would distract any potential robber.
    It probably would have led to a hernia laughing so much, so a win-win

OP, If people KNOW you have expensive watches at home, I guess having fakes somewhere relatively easy (not too easy, or they may be suspicious) to find might distract them into taking those.

On the other hand, if you're really that worried, why not just sell them and buy a nice, but affordable, watch that you can own without such worries?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    In a nutshell. SAF.
    He could always buy a chest of drawers, but that wouldn't help him wear the watch.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    That’s a coincidence - I always a put a Honda Jazz body kit on my 911 whenever I drive anywhere to stop me getting car jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    He could always buy a chest of drawers, but that wouldn't help him wear the watch.

M
    No idea what that means sorry.

Craftsman
    Can understand the logic, but personally wouldn’t want to fund the crims that produce fake watches.

How about keeping a ‘cheaper’ watch out?

He could put a note in the window - “No expensive watches kept here overnight”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Really don’t see the point.
    If you can’t/won’t wear them, no point in having them.
    I agree.

I have no qualms wearing expensive watches out and about. Obviously I don't go waving them about, but pointless having them if they're going to sit in a safe somewhere.

Genuinely don’t know where to start.

Have others also considered this and does this reason make it acceptable to buy a fake even though funds feed the fire of more fakes. The watch will not be worn.

If you ask this on TZUK you will be told its not acceptable. If you ask a typical man in the street you'll have a different answer. Only you will know where your morals lie for the real answer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    That’s a coincidence - I always a put a Honda Jazz body kit on my 911 whenever I drive anywhere to stop me getting car jacked.
    You might get the catalytic converter nicked off it though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    This assumes a burglar will think "Great, this is worth something - I'll call it a day and leave". I don't think that is very likely. More likely "They have valuable stuff here, must get as much of it as I can". Or they simply keep turning over your house until they reach the point where fear of being caught overcomes greed and they leg it. I reckon the latter is the mindset of most, they will generally keep at it for as long as their nerve holds, or until they've exhausted the possibilities.
    Agree - if they find something they think is valuable, they’ll rip the place apart looking for more

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    My watches are hidden or in a small safe. I leave a Seiko laying around on the top of my drawers which is a decoy.
    This is the most sensible blend of having nice watches and decoy watches.

I’m sorry I can’t be bothered to read all the replies but relating to the original post:

A) it’s a stupid idea. It will only encourage people to ransack your house either because you’ve shown there are valuables lying around or (less likely) because they know they’re fake and they’ll go looking for the real ones

B) If you’re worried your possessions mark you out as a target, get rid of them

Craftsman
    If it concerns you that much OP, I would suggest getting better security, better insurance, or sell your watches.
    There is absolutely no way of knowing if leaving fakes lying about will help or not, in the unfortunate event that you are burgled.
    Use the money you would save on buying fakes to upgrade your insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I have good insurance, security, safes, etc. I’m not worried, I wear all my watches without fear of being mugged or broken into, this post is just a simple query on a decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Your drawers are a decoy?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Lol … aye.

Craftsman
    I have good insurance, security, safes, etc. I’m not worried, I wear all my watches without fear of being mugged or broken into, this post is just a simple query on a decoy.

That’s a fair point. But I still think that it’s impossible to ever know or even guess how a burglar may react. Are they a professional thief committing a well planned crime? Or an opportunist smack head looking for whatever they can grab in a couple of minutes?
    I think in both cases, if they were to stumble across the decoy watches, they would most certainly pocket them. But there is no way of knowing if they would be done with that, or if they would decide that further hunting could be lucrative.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Probably better using the wifes smalls.

Grand Master
    You will be inundated with every Man & His Dogs opinion with this one!.

Like an ars****e everyone will have one.

But who is right.......Do as YOU feel comfortable and ignore all the holes on here.

And don't we know their are some.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 3rd February 2024 at 00:20.