closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko hands and low light conditions.

Master

Grand Seiko hands and low light conditions.

I've developed an interest in GS, specifically their simpler three hand quartz watches. However I do like lume and it's hard to find a model with lumed hands. A number of reviewers have mentioned that the highly polished hands work well in low light and they reflect even the smallest amounts of light. It's this marketing or wishful thinking or re the hands legible in near dark conditions.

I can’t see a thing on my Snowflake in low light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've developed an interest in GS, specifically their simpler three hand quartz watches. However I do like lume and it's hard to find a model with lumed hands. A number of reviewers have mentioned that the highly polished hands work well in low light and they reflect even the smallest amounts of light. It's this marketing or wishful thinking or re the hands legible in near dark conditions.
    I have an SBGH001 and while the way light plays across the hands, dial and indices and really makes it come alive and highlights (literally) the craftsmanship, it's useless trying to tell the time on it at night. It kinds of works ok in low light but you find yourself really having to stare at it and move it around to catch the light when something with lume - I think of my SLA021, for example - glows like a torch as soon as light starts fading. Yes, non-lumed GSs are wonderful things but you learn to appreciate their limitations.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    It may depend on the dial, I have a black dial GS and have never had any issues. The facets of the highly polished hands do indeed tend to pick up light, a little tilting and they usually catch something. I've even found that in a cinema during a boring film that was going on for too long, the light from the screen was enough, but obviously there needs to be some light somewhere for them to catch. However I'm someone who sees very little point in lume at the best of times, it's a fun toy but I've only found it useful if I happen to look at my watch the second I've walked into a dark room from bright sunlight, otherwise it's about as useful as a moon phase.

Master
    Interesting the other’s comments. I have a few GS, and have no issue telling the time in low light. The polished edges always pick up some reflection, and can pick out the hand positions easily.

Of course lume would be brighter, but gives a different look to the watch. Compared with my other non lume watches (or older watches where the lume is dead), I find the GS polish really beneficial

Craftsman
    I can’t comment on GS but I have noticed how well the polished hands on my Speedmaster 57 reflect the light, even when the overall light levels are very low. It’s amazingly easy to read. I particularly notice it in contrast to my white dialed CW, which has quite a dark GMT hand to add to the confusion. So yes, well polished hands can make a significant difference, especially on a dark dial.

I took a grainy, low light photo a little while ago to try and show the difference….

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I can’t see a thing on my Snowflake in low light conditions.
    Need to get the special edition, comes with pet firefly that will hover over your wrist.

I only have vintage GS (GSs?), but the design philosophy hasn't changed much when it comes to hands, markers etc. In my experience, especially with a white/silver dials, they are very readable in low light condition. Move your wrist a little and the hands and markers will pick up and reflect whatever light is available very well.

Master
    For a while, I had the SBGV005, which has fully polished sword hands against a champagne dial. It was astonishingly legible, even in very low light conditions. The quality of the polishing was such that the hands would pick up light from almost any source, no matter how weak.

This has stopped me buying quite a number of GS. It is quite frustrating (although my wallet says thanks!).

I wear my watch at night, and always need to have some lume.
    I have tried non-lume watches on various occasion and always end up frustrated.
    I don’t want to compromise on a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The handsets are excellent and will certainly throw back any modicum of available light, but there does need to be some. In very low light conditions, with adjusted night vision, I find my equally unlumed B&R more legible: it has a black painted handset (of comparable style) against a white dial.

(The above was taken in very low light)

To come back to your OP though: just because you like lume per se doesn’t mean you should seek it out, or would even like it, on a highly finished 3-hander; just as one might like wellingtons but can see the merits in avoiding them with a dinner suit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    To come back to your OP though: just because you like lume per se doesn’t mean you should seek it out, or would even like it, on a highly finished 3-hander; just as one might like wellingtons but can see the merits in avoiding them with a dinner suit.
    It's a valid point. I need to figure out whether I want something dressier or more of a smarter everyday watch.

👍 👍 👍

Craftsman
    I have a GS Snowflake (no lume) and have just added an SBGN 9F GMT (lumed, still with dauphine hands) to the collection.

Compared with my Nomos Orion (no lume, blued hands) or Accutron (long dead tritium) the hands on the GS are definitely more legible in much lower light.

However it does only take you so far, as mentioned by other posters.

My son woke up as I was typing this and I had no problem reading the time by the light from the nightlight in his room. The light was low enough my iPhone was completely unable to focus to take a shot.

When the light really drops there’s no substitute for lumed hands and indices.

I’m certainly in the camp that prefers lume, but the GS hands and indices are so impressive in light, it’s worth tolerating less usefulness at night unless you really, really need it.
    There are some models with the dauphine hands and lume if you want a bit of both, but I suspect it’ll be a very limited choice.

Same as others, I find the hands on my Snowflake catch available light pretty well and are OK in low light. In the dark, it’s illegible. I usually take something (even if just a G-shock) with me if I’m travelling so I can tell the time at night.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    However I'm someone who sees very little point in lume at the best of times, it's a fun toy but I've only found it useful if I happen to look at my watch the second I've walked into a dark room from bright sunlight, otherwise it's about as useful as a moon phase.
    It does work well when your eyes are adjusted to low light. I sometimes wear a Seiko diver while cycling at night; the lume makes it possible to read the time when it otherwise definitely wouldn't be.

Garmins with wrist gesture-operated backlights are useful for that as well, but that's a tad off-topic.

This is exactly why I count the SBGF019 as just about the most legible watch I've ever had. GS finish but with lumed hands and markers. Don't know why GS doesn't do this more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    This is exactly why I count the SBGF019 as just about the most legible watch I've ever had. GS finish but with lumed hands and markers. Don't know why GS doesn't do this more often.

And here it is in low light...incidentally I took it out of the watch box after probably 2 months not wearing it and it has gained 2 seconds. It is a grand watch.

Lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely harder to read than lumed hands but on a GS I really prefer hands without lume. Hardly ever look at the watch in the dark anyway. Except for the cinema and only then if the movie doesn’t interest me.

Also even with lume in winter it can still be hard to read, lume is hardly charged then. So definitely prefer without on a GS.

Master
    I’ve got some over my lume concerns. This arrived today and I’m very happy.

I’ve got some over my lume concerns. This arrived today and I’m very happy.

That’s a nice looking watch.
    A chap in the office has one very similar and it’s really is a looker in the metal.