closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7s26 Regulation - Anybody?

Seiko 7s26 Regulation - Anybody?

Morning all. I picked up a Seiko SKX007 for a decent price recently, really happy with the condition etc. however it’s running a good 90 seconds slow per day. It’s a bog standard 7s26 movement, late 00’s I think. I enquired at Watch Hospital and they quoted me nigh on 300 quid for a service, which is double what I paid for the watch. I only really want to see if I can find someone to pay who has the tools and know-how to give it a tweak and get it running a bit better. If anyone has any pointers I’d appreciate it, ta!

I've fixed this before on 7S26 models. I've followed this video in the past and had good success - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_QnDKciBU

Failing that it might be worth future proofing the watch and dropping an NH35/36 in.

Grand Master
    OP contacted me, I`ll have a look and sort it out.

Have to smile at these U tube videos, posted by folks who don't really understand watches, it should be obvious which is the beat arm and which is the regulator with a bit of thought.

Trying to regulate a Seiko is hard enough with a timegrapher, I wouldn't advise anyone to attempt it without.

For some reason 7S26 movements are often out of beat by a significant amount, that needs addressing before regulating.

As for replacing the movement, NH35 and 36 movements can be very hit and miss when new, I`ve fitted them and ended up servicing the new movement to get it running as it should, unless is obviously in poor condition I generally recommend servicing the original.

In the past it was often cheaper (£40 ish) and easier just to replace the whole movement with a new one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    In the past it was often cheaper (£40 ish) and easier just to replace the whole movement with a new one.
    New movement doesn’t fit itself, most people lack the tools, skills and experience to do it themselves, new movement may need tweaks and adjustments to get it running properly, it also needs setting in beat and regulating. As I posted earlier, I’ve bought new NH35 movements and gad to strip them down to get them to run well. I fitted one to my own Seiko, a watch that had led a hard life, because I wanted the hand- winding and hacking functions, I’d also used the balance on a repair job. I was lucky, new movement gave good amplitude, just needed setting in beat and regulating.

Worst aspect of the Seiko movements, in my opinion, is the poor isochronism, they really do vary depending on state of wind. On the plus side, they stand up to wear and tear, a very robust design.

If the service is just too expensive, it is relatively easy to find a donor watch (Seiko 5) or just get new 7S (4R or NH35 is even cheaper but you will need different crown/stem which also is not a problem to find.) I prefer original 7S.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    New movement doesn’t fit itself, most people lack the tools, skills and experience to do it themselves, new movement may need tweaks and adjustments to get it running properly, it also needs setting in beat and regulating. As I posted earlier, I’ve bought new NH35 movements and gad to strip them down to get them to run well. I fitted one to my own Seiko, a watch that had led a hard life, because I wanted the hand- winding and hacking functions, I’d also used the balance on a repair job. I was lucky, new movement gave good amplitude, just needed setting in beat and regulating.

Worst aspect of the Seiko movements, in my opinion, is the poor isochronism, they really do vary depending on state of wind. On the plus side, they stand up to wear and tear, a very robust design.
    Good point, because I can do it I assume incorrectly all guys on a watch forum can do it.

I have worn many Seiko that have run within 1 SPD and I have one that runs 1 SPM but I manage that by resting it crown up one night crown down the next :)

My Seiko 007 was losing about 20+ seconds a day. I just got use to it and set the time ahead and reset at the end of the week.

Then one day I visited one of the theme parks with my children and after the visit, the watch is running virtually spot on. It loses a few seconds during the day and crown up overnight results in near perfect.

You can send it to me for ‘servicing’. 😂

(I have probably jinxed it now)

Grand Master
    Anyone who owns a Seiko that runs consistently at +1 second/day is extremely fortunate, to own several is taking good fortune to a new level!

They are the devils own job to regulate, even with a Timegrapher. If I`m regulating one I aim to get it running at +5 secs/day dial up fully wound according the Timegrapher. I then run the watch on a cyclotester, which approximates to how it'll perform whilst being worn. I then record the rate dial up over a period of 12 hours. Adjustment is made accordingly.

if anyone asked me to regulate a Seiko to run consistently at +1 secs/day I`d be having a discussion about managing expectations and if they still believed it possible I`d refuse the job. Occassionally a watch owner sets the bar too high, usually based on something they've read on the internet.

I’ll contact you in due course Walkerwek1958. +/- 1-2 will be fine for me!

I have watched videos and thought no I better leave it to the professionals.

Anyone who owns a Seiko that runs consistently at +1 second/day is extremely fortunate, to own several is taking good fortune to a new level!

They are the devils own job to regulate, even with a Timegrapher. If I`m regulating one I aim to get it running at +5 secs/day dial up fully wound according the Timegrapher. I then run the watch on a cyclotester, which approximates to how it'll perform whilst being worn. I then record the rate dial up over a period of 12 hours. Adjustment is made accordingly.

if anyone asked me to regulate a Seiko to run consistently at +1 secs/day I`d be having a discussion about managing expectations and if they still believed it possible I`d refuse the job. Occassionally a watch owner sets the bar too high, usually based on something they've read on the internet.
    I should then say I have been VERY lucky as my skill levels are nothing like yours but I just had the time to tinker.

I have had more than one Seiko that ran (with management) +/- 1 SPD

This is my method of regulating them for what its worth.

1) Obviously start off with a brand new watch or newly serviced movement.

2) Regulate on the Timegrapher to as near to 0 SPD as possible, I always sit it face up when regulating.

3) Wear the watch for a week or so checking the time keeping.

4) If for example the watch ran +7 SPD then on the Timegrapher I would regulate to show running at -7 SPD

5) Wear the watch again for a week or so checking the time keeping and see how it is, sometimes get it right first time and other times mess about a couple of times but no rush as its for myself.

6) I can do it a few times if needed as its for my own benefit and pleasure so no time scale.

I also think that if the OP's watch hasn't been serviced since new it might need more than regulating. A clean and oil would be a treat.
    It's a shame these movements can't be found new now, and the newer replacements are not quite the same due to the stem and crown differences.

For the record folks I decided to return the SKX to the seller. I got it for a price of £150 on eBay, which is decent by todays SKX prices. It was a 2014 model in good nick and obviously I wouldn’t expect chronometer level timekeeping from a 10 year old 7s26!

But it was running over 2 minutes slow per day which makes it unusable and there was no mention of the poor timekeeping in the listing. I did consider getting it sorted myself, hence the article, but by the time I’d done that I’d have stuck the best part of 300 quid into it and a ten year old SKX just isn’t worth that much to me, so I’ve sorted a refund.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I also think that if the OP's watch hasn't been serviced since new it might need more than regulating. A clean and oil would be a treat.
    It's a shame these movements can't be found new now, and the newer replacements are not quite the same due to the stem and crown differences.
    Cousins does have stock:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/se...nts?code=7S26M

Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    Wow those have all gone up in price since I last bought any.

Grand Master
    I offered to sort this out and gave a worst case estimate for the cost (£100), that would've included my 12 month guarantee. Service the original or fit an NH35 including adjustment and work to get it running as it should (if required), a good chance the total cost would've been less than my worst case.

You have to be realistic, buy a 9 year old watch and you really have to budget for putting some money into getting it sorted out, but onnce it's sorted you get the benefit for 5-6 years.

I offered to sort this out and gave a worst case estimate for the cost (£100), that would've included my 12 month guarantee. Service the original or fit an NH35 including adjustment and work to get it running as it should (if required), a good chance the total cost would've been less than my worst case.

You have to be realistic, buy a 9 year old watch and you really have to budget for putting some money into getting it sorted out, but onnce it's sorted you get the benefit for 5-6 years.
    Thats a bargain IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Thats a bargain IMO.
    Yep a bargain for sure and Paul did a great job on a previous watch of mine, but with the watch cost, plus the postage I’d paid plus cost of a new strap it needed and Paul’s service itself the watch would’ve stood me in £300 and it was only meant to be a bit of a cheap beater, an SKX is just not worth that sort of money to me - could get a newer Steinhart with an ETA, nice bracelet and sapphire crystal off eBay for that money.